CDJ withdrawn from paris

Peglo

Visit site
Female commentator has just come out with the old chestnut that the horses wouldn't perform if they were treated badly...:rolleyes:

Well if it wasn’t to try and make the horse perform I wonder if the commentator thinks it was just out of pure cruelty that CDJ smacked that horse with a whip 20+ times. 🤔 what other reasons could it have been for?

palo1

Visit site
On the subject of nosebands...are they absolutely necessary? I ask this because my horse broke his on a gate I was trying to undo, it was in pieces so I put the remains into my pocket and we carried on. Having no noseband made no difference to him at all so I never bothered to replace it.
Are they used only to keep the horse's mouth closed? I've often wondered about this since the gate incident, I'd always just blindly put the thing on, thinking it was important. How many other things get used just because we think we need them?
The original purpose of a cavesson noseband is a bit lost...Some people say it was to help prevent a broken jaw in battle if horse went down nose first, others say it was to keep a horse's mouth closed so that they couldn't so easily call out and give position away. A cavesson doesn't really
do anything in fact so it's not necessary. Grackles and flashes keep the mouth closed, drops hold the bit more still in the mouth, as do grackles to an extent and they can help to discourage a horse from crossing its jaw as an evasion.

Chianti

Visit site
Should the horses have to be hooded with massive amounts of metal? Is there a reason they need all this gumf on their faces. It looked as bad as the pure sj in terms of faces hidden under all the gumf.

I'd remove all "extras" such as ear covers, hoods, massive bits, spurs

If you look at the 90s eventing the tack looks so basic, you generally had at most a Pelham or Dutch gag, flash noseband and martingale. No hoods, no ears, no mass of metal work

Let's go back to this "basic" kit. Why is all this extra stuff suddenly being used?
Is it that in eventing the cross country fences have got so much more technical? In the 1990s I used to go to a lot of events and the fences seem very different now. Years ago the fences looked more natural and riders seemed to be able to point and go. Now they sometimes look more as if they should be in a show jumping round - multiple narrow fences, that are off set , going down hill, into shade. It looks as if course designers are trying to catch the horses out more. Doesn't this mean that the rider has to adjust the horse more and for that they pile on the tack?

palo1

Visit site
Well, IV hydration shouldn’t be standard, but I had one suffer impaction colic after a three day despite having plenty of access to water, electrolytes, soaked hay, lots of grazing etc. He had IV fluids when he had to travel to international events to prevent that happening again. Not ideal but not to be dismissed as an option .
Definitely in the horse's best interests but, and I am not being personally critical here, potentially this is an instance of the talent of the horse driving an intervention because of our desire to be competitive, rather than purely for the horse's wellbeing.

Equi

Visit site
Stopped test for USA for blood on side.

ETA I didn’t mean to post this here it was for the Olympic thread.

Last edited:

Cloball

Visit site
I had no idea about 'comfort drips'. I have to say in my opinion, if a horse is being pushed to the extent it's necessary to administer IV of anything, then it's being pushed too far and the process is unethical. Human athletes don't do this - do they???
Humans can consent though, it wouldn't surprise me if they used rehydration but I suppose differences is human athletes can calculate...I've peed this much, I've probably sweated this much I need to consume X amount of fluid. Some horses would be quite happy consuming lots of fluid and wet feed others might not. I think it would be difficult to predict how dehydrated horse might become as it would depend on more than just level of exertion.

I do wonder if there is a certain amount of pseudo science as well... We can give these horses IV it seems like it would help performance and recovery so we will do it.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Is it that in eventing the cross country fences have got so much more technical? In the 1990s I used to go to a lot of events and the fences seem very different now. Years ago the fences looked more natural and riders seemed to be able to point and go. Now they sometimes look more as if they should be in a show jumping round - multiple narrow fences, that are off set , going down hill, into shade. It looks as if course designers are trying to catch the horses out more. Doesn't this mean that the rider has to adjust the horse more and for that they pile on the tack?
The original purpose of a cavesson noseband is a bit lost...Some people say it was to help prevent a broken jaw in battle if horse went down nose first, others say it was to keep a horse's mouth closed so that they couldn't so easily call out and give position away. A cavesson doesn't really
do anything in fact so it's not necessary. Grackles and flashes keep the mouth closed, drops hold the bit more still in the mouth, as do grackles to an extent and they can help to discourage a horse from crossing its jaw as an evasion.

Um, a noseband should be done up to prevent opening of the mouth, not tying it shut. There is a difference. Haven't you read your Pony Club Manual lately? Its like the standing martingale. To be used to stop the head getting too high - not for tying it down.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Fame's are not Duplos but it is the only composite range I am familiar with. Have a look at their website. https://duplo-frank.de/en/duplo-composite-horseshoes

No Duplos have a heart bar shaped metal bit across the frogs, they have generous frog support in the plastic material. Usually the only metal bit that's used in these is in the toes, the heels need flexibility hence not looking or acting like a bar shoe :).

@Orangehorse where does one draw the line? Horses need movement in the TMJ, so how much movement should we allow in the mouth? I say stopping them opening their mouths stops one way of expressing pain, and stopping them chucking their head up with a piece of kit shouldn't be as universal as it is.

planete

Visit site
Um, a noseband should be done up to prevent opening of the mouth, not tying it shut. There is a difference. Haven't you read your Pony Club Manual lately? Its like the standing martingale. To be used to stop the head getting too high - not for tying it down.
Why would a horse want to open his mouth unless he is uncomfortable?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
If you use a noseband of whatever flavour it should be fitted loosely enough that the horse can comfortably munch on a carrot.

In which case it's doing nothing and, in competition, could be ditched, surely? Out hacking, to have a cavesson to leading/tying, sure (though more likely to be a halter or convertible bridle).

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I don't see how it's much different keeping the mouth from opening is restrictive and can cause discomfort.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
In which case it's doing nothing and, in competition, could be ditched, surely? Out hacking, to have a cavesson to leading/tying, sure (though more likely to be a halter or convertible bridle).
When I was rehabbing my mare I used to go for a hack at walk then halfway home I would get off take her bit out and let her wander and graze. so she had as much time out of the stable as possible so it was useful to put the reins on so I did have some control

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
I've tried to explain the difference so many times on here over the years and I really cba anymore.

Generally, if you fit a piece of tack correctly and use it correctly, for purpose, it's function is a whole lot different than if you don't.

I'm constantly surprised at the number of top level pros who don't.