Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

Winters100

Visit site
Not on FB, but a hilarious one at the stable today. We have a few kids there, and I let one of them ride my schoolmistress from time to time. Child is a nice little rider with soft hands, listens to instructions, is a super polite and nice child who often does jobs for me without being asked (including things like poo-picking and scrubbing water buckets). Parents of another child approached me today saying that it is not fair that I let this child ride without offering the same to their child, and that theirs "can easily exercise any of your horses". To put this in context their child does not ride to anything like the standard of child A, would maybe be ok on schoolmistress because she is very kind, but would probably not be seen again if put on either of the others. In addition she arrives to the stable and sits playing with her phone while her Mother prepares her pony, not that I expect or need any help from her, but I think they are missing the point about why I go out of my way to give a different child a treat, and that it is not because I need my pony exercised!

Flicker

Visit site
Not on FB, but a hilarious one at the stable today. We have a few kids there, and I let one of them ride my schoolmistress from time to time. Child is a nice little rider with soft hands, listens to instructions, is a super polite and nice child who often does jobs for me without being asked (including things like poo-picking and scrubbing water buckets). Parents of another child approached me today saying that it is not fair that I let this child ride without offering the same to their child, and that theirs "can easily exercise any of your horses". To put this in context their child does not ride to anything like the standard of child A, would maybe be ok on schoolmistress because she is very kind, but would probably not be seen again if put on either of the others. In addition she arrives to the stable and sits playing with her phone while her Mother prepares her pony, not that I expect or need any help from her, but I think they are missing the point about why I go out of my way to give a different child a treat, and that it is not because I need my pony exercised!
Entitled parents are the worst and they pass that entitlement to their kids.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Someone is asking for realistic comments re horse costs as her children don't realise how much it costs

Someone on my friends list has commented "it's cheaper to own than have lessons"

It caused me to burst into laughter! Possibly if you can keep them at home but even looking at school master lessons for an hour a pop, I could have at least 3 a month before getting into "cheaper to own" territory!

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Someone is asking for realistic comments re horse costs as her children don't realise how much it costs

Someone on my friends list has commented "it's cheaper to own than have lessons"

It caused me to burst into laughter! Possibly if you can keep them at home but even looking at school master lessons for an hour a pop, I could have at least 3 a month before getting into "cheaper to own" territory!
I suppose I sort of get this- if you have a lesson or two a week then it's going to cost a lot less than owning, but if you want to ride 6 days a week and go out hacking for four or five hours each weekend, then it's probably cheaper or at least similar cost-wise to have your own. That said, the children will probably need/want to go to lessons, rallies and camps anyway, so no saving there! ?

Antw23uk

Visit site
Resurrecting this thread before i scream ... a woman using the local equine FB pages has been posting for months about wanting a horse, long list of requirements, equating to a healthy budget horse 7k+ .... small budget or free or loan/ lwvtb is what was on offer! I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by its cover ... but no, just no! the profile picture is enough that you wouldnt let her look after a wooden horse let alone a real one!

Eventually someone must have said something because the wanted ads were replaced with the 'poor me, stop picking on me' posts ..... Shame on everyone who wanted to sell their horse rather than give it away for free!

Then they moved on to the 'gushing about my new pony post' ..... although thought it would 'grow' more, even though said pony was fully grown at 12.2 but thanked people for their help anyway, all is wonderful in the world again ......

Now they need help (obviously) will pay £10 per hour for two hours twice a week through winter for groundwork only until spring when they would have bonded enough to get on a pony, that's too small for them anyway .... but thats ok because love and dedication will make it grow and a professional is obviously going to give up there Saturday or Sunday for a tenna an hour because yes, she is overhorsed already!

I've tried consistently for over 40 years to be nice but its really not for me! I have been very sensible though and blocked her. I figure being local, if i see her in the street it could be dangerous, although im now unlikely to forget that face .. like i said, being nice isnt for me, sorry not sorry! Rant over.

Uliy

Visit site
Resurrecting this thread before i scream ... a woman using the local equine FB pages has been posting for months about wanting a horse, long list of requirements, equating to a healthy budget horse 7k+ .... small budget or free or loan/ lwvtb is what was on offer! I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by its cover ... but no, just no! the profile picture is enough that you wouldnt let her look after a wooden horse let alone a real one!

Eventually someone must have said something because the wanted ads were replaced with the 'poor me, stop picking on me' posts ..... Shame on everyone who wanted to sell their horse rather than give it away for free!

Then they moved on to the 'gushing about my new pony post' ..... although thought it would 'grow' more, even though said pony was fully grown at 12.2 but thanked people for their help anyway, all is wonderful in the world again ......

Now they need help (obviously) will pay £10 per hour for two hours twice a week through winter for groundwork only until spring when they would have bonded enough to get on a pony, that's too small for them anyway .... but thats ok because love and dedication will make it grow and a professional is obviously going to give up there Saturday or Sunday for a tenna an hour because yes, she is overhorsed already!

I've tried consistently for over 40 years to be nice but its really not for me! I have been very sensible though and blocked her. I figure being local, if i see her in the street it could be dangerous, although im now unlikely to forget that face .. like i said, being nice isnt for me, sorry not sorry! Rant over.

You must be local, I know exactly who you’re talking about! ?

Flicker

Visit site

By Christ you have to really try hard as an adult to over horse yourself with a 12.2 ???.

nagblagger

Visit site
I am selling a saddle on ebay and facebook, obviously with ebay costs it is up for more money on this site, my location is clearly marked on both adverts.. i'm willing for pick up or to post at buyers cost. I was contacted by a person who had seen it on facebook she wanted more info, more pictures and more measurements etc, this lasted over a week, she then haggled and we agreed a price. The day before she was due to pick-up (she didn't want it posted) she said she lived 'x' amount of miles away so could i contribute to her travelling costs...!!! Needless to say i still have the saddle...

Fransurrey

Visit site
"Casey76 said:
12.1hh cob 4yo gelding. Safe allrounder and happy hacker. Bombproof in all sorts of traffic. Hacked by trains without a fuss. One of a kind pony. Any child can handle and ride him. He looks after his little riders. Good forever home wanted. Deposit secures.
???? (low/mid)
since when is any 4yo a ‘safe alrounder’ and ‘bombproof’?"

To be fair, my cob was like that as a 4yo! He'd only just been backed when I tried him (I was the second person to canter him under saddle) and he stood like a rock whilst a large tractor passed us on a single width lane pulling a low loader with a second tractor on it!

Sossigpoker

Visit site
"Casey76 said:
12.1hh cob 4yo gelding. Safe allrounder and happy hacker. Bombproof in all sorts of traffic. Hacked by trains without a fuss. One of a kind pony. Any child can handle and ride him. He looks after his little riders. Good forever home wanted. Deposit secures.
???? (low/mid)
since when is any 4yo a ‘safe alrounder’ and ‘bombproof’?"

To be fair, my cob was like that as a 4yo! He'd only just been backed when I tried him (I was the second person to canter him under saddle) and he stood like a rock whilst a large tractor passed us on a single width lane pulling a low loader with a second tractor on it!
A lot of 4 year olds are saints because they haven't learned yet they they can actually say no! It's when they hit 5 that you might have a different horse ?

Annagain

Visit site
By Christ you have to really try hard as an adult to over horse yourself with a 12.2 ???.

Oh I don't know. My (very small) friend has an 11.2. Even if I was small enough to ride him, you couldn't pay me to sit on him. He's known as "Attitude". I've never seen a pony buck like he can, his "spin and run" response to anything he doesn't like the look of is spectacular, and if you try to do something on the ground with him that he doesn't like, he'll rear up and try to box you.

Flicker

Visit site
Oh I don't know. My (very small) friend has an 11.2. Even if I was small enough to ride him, you couldn't pay me to sit on him. He's known as "Attitude". I've never seen a pony buck like he can, his "spin and run" response to anything he doesn't like the look of is spectacular, and if you try to do something on the ground with him that he doesn't like, he'll rear up and try to box you.
We must see pictures of Attitude in all his glory! I’m in love with him already.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Sounds delightful. Get him on Facebook.....you’ll have loads of enquiries! ....probably more of a second pony though!! ?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I am bemused by the people who are FURIOUS that no one wants to buy whatever they are selling. Most recently an older horse box. I get it’s frustrating when things don’t sell for ages but people seem to feel that viewers have a duty to buy.

The latest rant accused people of ‘wanting a free try’ (er yes - otherwise known as a test drive or viewing) and ‘having to discuss it with my husband’. (Also fairly normal for a big purchase!) all in caps of course.

How dare these people want to come and see the box they might buy then want time to discuss it with partners!

Flicker

Visit site
I’ve seen a lot of riding hats for sale on FB recently. Advertised ‘as new’. And clearly selling. Um... thanks but how do we know that these haven’t had a fall or a kick or a drop along the way?? The most crucial piece of safety kit in your tack room is really the thing you absolutely want to buy new and have a continuous history for.