Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

[153312]

Visit site
Are you all reading the same ad as me? 16yr old looking for a non riding part loan while she has lessons? If you are, whats the issue?
The issue is shes only walked&trotted on a horse on lead rein before, they don't want to pay but want a "foal or pony" that can move to them. They don't sound by any stretch of the imagination ready to own any horse, let alone a foal.

[153312]

Visit site
They just need a lot of lessons in both ridden and on the ground aspects of ownership before even considering getting a horse - it wouldn't be safe for either the people or the animal for such inexperienced individuals to get one at that stage

I'm Dun

Visit site
The issue is shes only walked&trotted on a horse on lead rein before, they don't want to pay but want a "foal or pony" that can move to them. They don't sound by any stretch of the imagination ready to own any horse, let alone a foal.

No they dont? They want a pony to fuss and spend time with and maybe have a walk on to part loan, they dont say anything about not paying. They arent looking for their own. They are offering to do jobs to spend time with horses, and sounds like they would be thrilled if the girl could walk round on the pony

a horse which doesn’t require a lot of riding on the days that she will be doing it just a walk if possible.

Someone has offered a chance to spend the day with her daughter and their ponies which I thought was lovely.

[153312]

Visit site
No they dont? They want a pony to fuss and spend time with and maybe have a walk on to part loan, they dont say anything about not paying. They arent looking for their own. They are offering to do jobs to spend time with horses, and sounds like they would be thrilled if the girl could walk round on the pony

Someone has offered a chance to spend the day with her daughter and their ponies which I thought was lovely.
In a reply to a comment they said they didn't want to pay.
Regardless they are not experienced enough to do anything except get more lessons imho.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
To be fair, some of the responses on there make me wish I didn't share the same "horse rider/equestrian" labels as some of the people responding. I hate it when people are abit green and obviously lacking in experience, and people pile on to tell them IT COSTS SO MUCH, HORSES ARE SUCH HARD WORK, etc etc. Of course they do, of course they are, but if I was looking into starting another sport and instantly the people who did that sport started telling me how hard and expensive it is...not very welcoming!

Sossigpoker

Visit site
To be fair, some of the responses on there make me wish I didn't share the same "horse rider/equestrian" labels as some of the people responding. I hate it when people are abit green and obviously lacking in experience, and people pile on to tell them IT COSTS SO MUCH, HORSES ARE SUCH HARD WORK, etc etc. Of course they do, of course they are, but if I was looking into starting another sport and instantly the people who did that sport started telling me how hard and expensive it is...not very welcoming!
The issue with that post is a total novice looking for a foal ! Nothing to do with being welcoming or not.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
The issue with that post is a total novice looking for a foal ! Nothing to do with being welcoming or not.
She doesnt want to buy a foal. She wants a foal or pony to pat and do jobs for. She doesn't realise yet the experience required to handle either, but there are better ways of educating people

FrecklesTheCat

Visit site
"Is there an experienced equestrian looking for a loan horse over the winter initially, maybe longer.
He's 15.1hh 9yrs old Green only just doing his canter work just now, absolutely not for a novice rider although safe for a competent person and not nasty at all! Has some quirks but these are disappearing the more he's worked. . . . . . . . . Would need to be someone familiar with training."

Does this translate as please train my horse for free over the winter so I don't have to deal with the dark/mud/cold?

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Just seen this advert on freeads. Ad ID: 37355902 .. 3 pictures of looking through the horses ears - nice scenery!! none of the pony !
There seems to be a lot of ads which are pretty pictures of the horse head in different locations. But none of confirmation or ridden. Most the time there is no height or location either. Then people wonder why they get lots of questions.

Flicker

Visit site
"Is there an experienced equestrian looking for a loan horse over the winter initially, maybe longer.
He's 15.1hh 9yrs old Green only just doing his canter work just now, absolutely not for a novice rider although safe for a competent person and not nasty at all! Has some quirks but these are disappearing the more he's worked. . . . . . . . . Would need to be someone familiar with training."

Does this translate as please train my horse for free over the winter so I don't have to deal with the dark/mud/cold?
And give it back better schooled and ready for summer fun. TBH if the ad was honest and said ‘I am finding it hard to get the time to ride over winter and would appreciate some help with bringing my green horse on, and also with some yard jobs’ they’d probably find someone really keen (I’d enjoy the project if the horse was nice and genuine).

Ambers Echo

Visit site
And give it back better schooled and ready for summer fun. TBH if the ad was honest and said ‘I am finding it hard to get the time to ride over winter and would appreciate some help with bringing my green horse on, and also with some yard jobs’ they’d probably find someone really keen (I’d enjoy the project if the horse was nice and genuine).

I agree its the wording that is cheeky! I did take on a horse on loan once as a rising 4 yo just to get him sellable. He had been backed and was safe under saddle biut a nightmare on the ground. He was aggressive in the field, hard to catch, territorial in the stable. I was really interested in learning more about groundwork and handling - teaching horses to be mannerly. So he was fab for me to practice on for free plus fun to ride. Plus this was years ago and I could not afford a horse of my own. After a few months he was sold as a much nicer horse. Win win.

But I agree the OP is chancing her arm really!

Annagain

Visit site
I recently tagged a friend who is looking for a horse in an advert that said "needs careful management but is 100%" (didn't say 100% what). When she enquired it turned out she was a chronic windsucker, required daily medication to prevent colic, had to be brought in every day in summer or flies would stress her so much she would colic, had to be IV sedated to clip as sedalin would cause colic, doesn't like being brushed, tries to bite when being tacked up and only loads in a lorry. 100% unsellable then? At least seller was honest on the phone!

Widgeon

Visit site
I recently tagged a friend who is looking for a horse in an advert that said "needs careful management but is 100%" (didn't say 100% what). When she enquired it turned out she was a chronic windsucker, required daily medication to prevent colic, had to be brought in every day in summer or flies would stress her so much she would colic, had to be IV sedated to clip as sedalin would cause colic, doesn't like being brushed, tries to bite when being tacked up and only loads in a lorry. 100% unsellable then? At least seller was honest on the phone!

Gosh. That is a good one! :eek:

Pippity

Visit site
From a local riding school:

PONY LOANS- CARE ONLY (No riding)
We have five ponies [names deleted] that we can offer for loaners for who are just interest in the care side of looking after a for the pony .
You will need to be experienced with horse care and be able to commit to a minimum of 2 consecutive days per week between Tues to Friday

At least they don't mention charging people. Equally, they don't mention paying people.

[153312]

Visit site
From a local riding school:

PONY LOANS- CARE ONLY (No riding)
We have five ponies [names deleted] that we can offer for loaners for who are just interest in the care side of looking after a for the pony .
You will need to be experienced with horse care and be able to commit to a minimum of 2 consecutive days per week between Tues to Friday

At least they don't mention charging people. Equally, they don't mention paying people.
In all fairness, cheeky as I think they're being, if they were closer I'd probably take them up on that for some no strings attached, free pony time with calm ponies and experienced people about. ???