Children on yards

GreyMane

Visit site
Just pre-lockdown, had a very small lad skid his bike to a halt immediately behind my horse because he was peeved at having to stop.
His parents were on foot, hundreds of yards behind him and way out of earshot, while he raced off ahead. Fortunately the horse was okay about it, but even so, it gave me the chills.
Definitely won't be riding out now until after the schools have gone back.

skint1

Visit site
I do have some sympathy with parents trying to juggle childcare with horse care and generally don't have issues with kids (or dogs) on yards. It's everyone's space, but because it is everyone's space there really needs to be a balance between kids being allowed to be kids and the impact that might have on others Most of the kids who have been at my yard over the years have been ok, there's only been one who I felt was really dangerously disruptive and quite rude, his mum, who was a long standing livery, was unconcerned so I just did my best to avoid them, thankfully they left.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Watching that must have made your blood run cold DL. I'm so glad that the little boy was OK, the Dad really should have kept a closer eye on him.

I put Linford Christy to shame that day. The boy really needs to learn a few boundaries, but yes his dad really should of paid more attention knowing that the lad doesn't do as he is told very often.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I put Linford Christy to shame that day. The boy really needs to learn a few boundaries, but yes his dad really should of paid more attention knowing that the lad doesn't do as he is told very often.

The dad seems to have forgotten what it is like to be a kid, especially one whose mind needs to be kept busy.

That day, the boy got out of the car and went into the field. He could just have easily have stayed in the car and started fiddling around with things. You know, like pretending to drive, taking the gearbox out of neutral and letting off the handbrake...

Last edited:

LegOn

Visit site
Children running and screeching at the yard is literally one of my biggest pet peeves... I am the grumpy old woman on my yard when it comes to kids!!!

But this bunch are a bit older - from 10 up and when they do something I disapprove (screeching/running) - I immediately stop them and ask if they understand why its dangerous. Explain they nearly had me planted because they started screeching and my horse thought another animal was being tortured so went full on flight mode. Same for the running, horses hear it as the pack in flight and needing to run, so they get freaked out and want to run. Once explained they settle down but not saying they dont get roared at by me from time to time...

They all love my horse because he is so well behaved (read trained!) but get bored quickly once I start lecturing them on how they should be training their horse to stand and behave... a few quick lectures & they dont hang around for long! :p But in all honestly, I think a quick word with the parent - very breezy like 'look I'm usually really tired after work and barely have enough brainpower to mind myself and the horse never mind if your kids are mooching around and I would just hate if I'm not paying attention and they get hurt - I think all round it would be better if you keep them nearer you when on the yard... if you dont mind, I'm sure you understand!'

fredflop

Visit site
This /\

A friend of my OH dropped off some fencing at the field for him the other day. He brought his 5 (I think) year old son with him. The child is a bit feral to be honest. But he was told to sit in the truck while they unloaded. He didn't and no one noticed. said child went in the field with my young colt and started pulling on his rug, colt nudged him away and child fell on his knees and screamed. With that the colt turned to run off, but in turning away kicked out and caught the boy on the back of his head. It was horrid to see from a distance and not be able to do anything about it. (I was in another part of the field and saw the last few seconds, but was to far away to get there in time despite my best efforts). The boy is ok, but it really should never of happened.

This incident happened on a large quiet field with only 3 horses so I dread to think what could happen on a livery yard with multiple horses coming and going.

I would have been given the hiding of my life if I’d have done this....

tiga71

Visit site
We are lucky with kids on our yard, they are all well behaved. I take one of the young teenagers out hacking with me and she is coming to XC schooling with me. I also hack out with one of the little ones with her Mum walking next to her.

Our yard is worse for uncontrolled dogs. And the dog owners leaving the dog poo all over. No telling them though, it is inalienable right apparently.

humblepie

Visit site
Years ago I kept my horse at a yard where it was just the family and their horses. Their young children would wander round bare footed climbing on and off farm machinery etc. They had ponies of their own. One day they were around when I was doing my horse. I went off to get something, came back to find small child bare feet brushing my 16.2 legs and tummy with a hard dandy brush. Good job he wasn‘t sensitive! At present with the pandemic I not sure why people come up more than just the one doing the horse unless they have no option re childcare.

UnfilteredCowgirl

Visit site
Wow, I just read through some of these replies, and there are ways to go about this, without being a jerk.
First of all, you're on a public yard! Which means there WILL be children around, other people board there too, not just you!
Second, if they aren't in danger, why the crap do you care what they're doing?! Unless they're in some way hurting you, your horse, your stuff, or another animal, let it go!
Third, if you really care, go talk to the parents!! Tell them that you don't like that their children are always bouncing around your horse, and that they're going to get hurt if they don't keep them away.
Fourth, I do think that they are too young to be left unsupervised, but what is the parents story? Yes, I know! You "pay a lot of money to do this", and "the barn is your happy place", but it's also their happy place! You need to be able to accomodate!

Basically, I know this is annoying for you, kay, I hate children too. Seriously, I do. But I'm not mean to them either. I can avoid them as best I can, but I can also put them to work, or talk to the parents about it, and tell them that their child is being unsafe, and 9 times out of 10, the parents thank me for telling them that, and they supervise their child further. So seriously, go talk to the parents. THEN talk to the BO, this is NOT the BO's fault, do not drag him/her into this, unless really necessary!
Put the kids to work, make them work really hard, and eventually they will learn that if they want to be around you, they will have to WORK. And really, make them do actual work, not pick up your brushes...that's just a game for them!

I'm sorry if this post sounds rude, or judgmental, I'm just calling it like I see it, and I see a lot of rude, and mean going on here. So have some patience, have some compassion. Try and put yourself in other persons shoes. And be nice!
And if these children continue to bug you, MOVE BARNS!!! Just because YOU are having problems at your current barn, DOES NOT MEAN EVERYONE ELSE NEEDS TO CHANGE FOR YOU! Do you even know who these children are coming with? Maybe it's their grandparents, cause the parents are away on vacation, or in the hospital! And the grandparents are watching them for a couple weeks, and then they'll go home and you will have your peaceful yard back again.
And I'm almost certain that someone here is going to say "why should she have to move barns and not just get the children kicked off?" Or something like that, and truth is. You are a global citizen, which means that we must all work together, and respect eachother. And I can't guarantee that there will be no other children if you move yards, so if you are really fed up with all of this, the only way you're gonna get what you want, is by bringing the horse home to you. Move him to your property, and have him live with you. It's the only real, legit way I can see to fix your 'problem'. I do feel that you would just find something else to complain about though...

As I said earlier, sorry if this sounds rude and judgmental, I'm just calling it as I see it, just the same as many other have. Hope you and your family had a good Easter, and you get to spend some time with your horse on this Easter Monday.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Second, if they aren't in danger, why the crap do you care what they're doing?! Unless they're in some way hurting you, your horse, your stuff, or another animal, let it go!

Well, in a lot of examples on this thread, the children are putting themselves or someone else in danger, or at the very least using people's stuff, which in these times could equate to putting them in danger.

I very much think the onus is on parents to take care of their children. Because they'll be the first to complain if someone else's horse injurs them.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Wow, I just read through some of these replies, and there are ways to go about this, without being a jerk.
First of all, you're on a public yard! Which means there WILL be children around, other people board there too, not just you!
Third, if you really care, go talk to the parents!! Tell them that you don't like that their children are always bouncing around your horse, and that they're going to get hurt if they don't keep them away.
Fourth, I do think that they are too young to be left unsupervised, but what is the parents story? Yes, I know! You "pay a lot of money to do this", and "the barn is your happy place", but it's also their happy place! You need to be able to accomodate!

Basically, I know this is annoying for you, kay, I hate children too. Seriously, I do. But I'm not mean to them either. I can avoid them as best I can, but I can also put them to work, or talk to the parents about it, and tell them that their child is being unsafe, and 9 times out of 10, the parents thank me for telling them that, and they supervise their child further. So seriously, go talk to the parents. THEN talk to the BO, this is NOT the BO's fault, do not drag him/her into this, unless really necessary!
Put the kids to work, make them work really hard, and eventually they will learn that if they want to be around you, they will have to WORK. And really, make them do actual work, not pick up your brushes...that's just a game for them!

I'm sorry if this post sounds rude, or judgmental, I'm just calling it like I see it, and I see a lot of rude, and mean going on here. So have some patience, have some compassion. Try and put yourself in other persons shoes. And be nice!
And if these children continue to bug you, MOVE BARNS!!! Just because YOU are having problems at your current barn, DOES NOT MEAN EVERYONE ELSE NEEDS TO CHANGE FOR YOU! Do you even know who these children are coming with? Maybe it's their grandparents, cause the parents are away on vacation, or in the hospital! And the grandparents are watching them for a couple weeks, and then they'll go home and you will have your peaceful yard back again.
And I'm almost certain that someone here is going to say "why should she have to move barns and not just get the children kicked off?" Or something like that, and truth is. You are a global citizen, which means that we must all work together, and respect eachother. And I can't guarantee that there will be no other children if you move yards, so if you are really fed up with all of this, the only way you're gonna get what you want, is by bringing the horse home to you. Move him to your property, and have him live with you. It's the only real, legit way I can see to fix your 'problem'. I do feel that you would just find something else to complain about though...

As I said earlier, sorry if this sounds rude and judgmental, I'm just calling it as I see it, just the same as many other have. Hope you and your family had a good Easter, and you get to spend some time with your horse on this Easter Monday.
You are right.
Your post is rude and judgemental, the OP has had good advice far earlier in the thread.

stormox

Visit site

The children should not be messing with another horse owners stuff or horse.
The parent should not be letting them!
Playing around the yard - fine if parents and YO are OK with that, but they shouldnt be annoying people or messing with other peoples belongings or horses.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

You are 15, I think. Come back to this thread and see if your advice is the same when you are 45.

Abi90

Visit site

You’re right. You do sound judgemental.

You are also right that a yard is a space for everyone who pays to be there, but that works both ways. People are allowed to not be bothered by other people’s children in their down time when they are trying to relax.

Children are the responsibility of their parents/allocated supervisor. Not whoever they happen to come by. If people want to entertain kids at the yard then great, there should be not compulsion to do so.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Thinking about it, I reckon a lot of YOs would rather be made aware of a problem, before they lose a client over it- rather than the client being miserable and looking to leave or find their own land/private yard.

Obviously it depends on the YO, but I think a lot would want to know sooner rather than later.

And the YO may have some liability in the event of an accident, so it can very much be "their problem".

Arzada

Visit site
Third, if you really care, go talk to the parents!!

Why do you suggest that the person who is not the parent and is not in loco parentis should take the initiative and go and talk to the guardians (LOL) of the children? Why is it that you and others think someone like the OP should do this and never suggest that the so called guardians don't ask other liveries if they are OK having the children around them and their horses.

Why don't you suggest that the 'guardians' put the children to work? It's not work experience or the practical element of a job interview so there is absolutely no need for anyone to put the children to work.

Last edited:

stormox

Visit site
If the parents are letting the kids run around and touch other peoples belongings and animals they are totally in the wrong.
Would those same parents let the kids run around a supermarket touching stuff?
Of course they wouldn't!
So why let them fiddle with other liveries things at a yard? Children need to learn good behaviour - and those lessons are only learnt if consistant boundariesare observed.

wispagold

Visit site
Some of these stories really do make your blood run cold! I really think you have to take up the issue with the parents, the children are their responsibility.

Having had a pony since the age of 7 (and I am the eldest of 4) I have been the child on a yard full of adults. From the age of 10 all of us had to get up and muck out our ponies before school. We had 6 ponies on DIY (on a diary farm). None of us were left to run riot, if we were at the yard we had jobs to do, like everyone else. I absolutely loved talking to some of the adult liveries and 20 years on we are still friends. I was often taken out on hacks by other liveries. I realise I could have come across as annoying but I quickly learnt who would give me the time of day and who didn't want to be disturbed. And we all certainly knew how to behave round horses. My mum is not someone we argued with!

The kids that were a nightmare were actually the farmers grandchildren. They were the ones that cycled round the stables on bikes, filled water buckets with salt, went through people's feed bins, climbed on hay bales etc. And no one felt like they could complain!

I think there should be a place for well behaved children on livery yards. But it certainly shouldn't be left to the other liveries to supervise them.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Its threads like this that make me glad the ponies are on our private yard... im not for kids running riot but this kind of negative attitude to children will make the sport more and more elitist. If you can only happily have ponies if mummy and daddy can fund a home with a yard then of course its going to become an elitist sport once more

Abi90

Visit site
Its threads like this that make me glad the ponies are on our private yard... im not for kids running riot but this kind of negative attitude to children will make the sport more and more elitist. If you can only happily have ponies if mummy and daddy can fund a home with a yard then of course its going to become an elitist sport once more

I don’t think anyone has said children shouldn’t be on yards, just that children on yards should behave and not go and bother people randomly and mess with their stuff.

Some people are happy with entertaining other people’s children, some are not. No one should feel obliged to look after/entertain someone else’s child surely? It doesn’t mean children aren’t welcome on yards full stop, just that if they are there then they are their parents responsibility, in terms of entertainment as well as safety

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I’m happy to entertain the kids if I’m in the mood, have the time etc, but if not then some of the things I’ve found...
-“Can I help you...?”

“Thanks but I’m nearly finished now”
“Sorry no this horse isn’t used to children, and can get spooked easily” (I have a youngster, they asked to help me bath him - he’s pretty good but still a youngster so it’s a no! Tbh I don’t think I’d let them help me bath any of the others other than the shetland).
“Absolutely not”, (when asked if they could help me saw some wood with the saw!?). Don’t be afraid to say no! Once you’ve turned down their help a few times I’ve found they don’t come back and ask you every single time. They tend to only ask if you strike up a convo first.

I do feel bad for them sometimes, but at the end of the day they shouldn’t be your responsibility.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
The UK livery yard is very much geared towards adult only, although not everywhere, whereas, on the continent, the US, the east - yards and farms are family-oriented, you know, unless it’s elite or competition but even then it’s fairly relaxed - from where I have been and seen anyway.

However, there is an “expectation” so that parents or guardians know that the children are trained and have a certain amount of discipline.

Perhaps YO and LO need to be more specific about what to expect for liveries and families equally otherwise it is unfair. Someone paying for quiet time not expecting children would be well within their rights to complain if no formal literature is available on children under the age of 'x' - vice versa if the renters wanted a family oriented yard to teach their children but have no facility at home.

Personally, to deal with this if it's affecting you and if there's doubt on a yard, however small, take it up with the person in charge and ask what the rules are. If there are none then hold a general meeting. Everyone needs to be fair and have consistent rules if children are allowed. After all, kids are the B&B of riding schools and they manage perfectly well (I've sent my kids to a few -all amazing!) but if you want a yard to just be your getaway, you do not want the squeals and screeches!

Winters100

Visit site

I am with you on this one. It is not that I don't think that OP does not have a valid concern, she does if children aged 3 and 6 are unsupervised around her horses, and likewise no one is obliged to be an unpaid childminder, but the general intolerance from some of the replies has shocked me. As an adult I cannot imagine myself resorting to giving mean stares to every child in the vicinity to keep them away, if I felt I had to do this I would be on an adult only yard. Imagine how we would feel as adults if someone was giving us mean stares to keep us away from them because of our age, I believe that we would consider it bullying.

I expect my horses to get used to noise and activity, if you compete it is essential that they do, and since I keep them on a child friendly yard I consider that at the very least I, and indeed the other liveries, should be pleasant and positive with the children there. We have a lovely bunch of children who are always willing to lend a hand, and there is great pleasure in helping them out with their ponies when they need a spot of advice. We all need help from time to time, we have one lady on our yard who is a single parent and brings her 2 year old, so I try to help her. I don't always have time, but when I do I can take the child off her hands for a short while and let her get on with her jobs. Costs me nothing and she is always very happy to have some alone time. This is not to say that I would not return a 3 year old to the parent if they were walking around my horses unsupervised, I would, but it would be done in a polite manner and with an understanding that maybe they had just made a mistake.

None of us are perfect, either as horse owners or as parents, and while of course child safety issues should be addressed, a bit of running and noise is, to me, just part of being on a child friendly yard.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I am the owner of a 10 y.o. child on a livery yard- he is polite and respectful and is there to look after his pony and to help me. He is literally never out of my sight and has been taught from a very young age that the yard is for horses, not somewhere to play or bother other people.
I think, like so many issues, it boils down to making an effort with parenting and respecting other yard users. I would be absolutely mortified if my son was ever the brunt of another livery’s complaint. Sure, it would be easier for me to open the car door and let him run amock, but that’s not appropriate for anyone.

UnfilteredCowgirl

Visit site
I am with you on this one. It is not that I don't think that OP does not have a valid concern, she does if children aged 3 and 6 are unsupervised around her horses, and likewise no one is obliged to be an unpaid childminder, but the general intolerance from some of the replies has shocked me. As an adult I cannot imagine myself resorting to giving mean stares to every child in the vicinity to keep them away, if I felt I had to do this I would be on an adult only yard. Imagine how we would feel as adults if someone was giving us mean stares to keep us away from them because of our age, I believe that we would consider it bullying.

I expect my horses to get used to noise and activity, if you compete it is essential that they do, and since I keep them on a child friendly yard I consider that at the very least I, and indeed the other liveries, should be pleasant and positive with the children there. We have a lovely bunch of children who are always willing to lend a hand, and there is great pleasure in helping them out with their ponies when they need a spot of advice. We all need help from time to time, we have one lady on our yard who is a single parent and brings her 2 year old, so I try to help her. I don't always have time, but when I do I can take the child off her hands for a short while and let her get on with her jobs. Costs me nothing and she is always very happy to have some alone time. This is not to say that I would not return a 3 year old to the parent if they were walking around my horses unsupervised, I would, but it would be done in a polite manner and with an understanding that maybe they had just made a mistake.

None of us are perfect, either as horse owners or as parents, and while of course child safety issues should be addressed, a bit of running and noise is, to me, just part of being on a child friendly yard.
This! Exactly! This is what I was trying to say. I know, it didn't really sound like it. But this is what I was trying to get across. You don't have to be mean. And people are suggesting giving mean glares, or just huffing off. That is not okay.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Have never been on a yard that allowed either children of any age or dogs off lead other than in the car park area only. The above running amok and competition horses of significant level are NOT compatible. Never had it in the days on racing yards with Diane Oughton, Ryan Price or Josh Gifford so not sure why it is acceptable now in yards with competition horses.

Last edited:

my bfg

Visit site
I have no issue with kids on a yard, but it's obviously not safe place for them to run riot, I've had good and bad experiences with different yards;
Bad
Waving a fellow livery off on a hack and saying You ok if I lock up? reply was Yes I've got my keys, when I went round locking up I found her baby in a pram in the tack room, I didn't feel I could just leave it there unsupervised so hung about until she returned, was told by YO if it happened again just lock the door and leave it - erm surely that's not safe??
Arriving at a yard based on a riding school to find a little girl eating her lunch under my horse dozing loose in the field, as it was a hot day and she was sat in the shade under my mare??
Kids thinking it's fine to wander up to their families horses and hit them, as that's what they've seen their family do. Luckily didn't try it with any other horse, but people felt they had to keep an eye out to make sure both their horses and the kid was safe

Good
Kids biking about the yard is good for the horse to get used to ready for hacking
Kids playing and making noise is good for the horse to get used to, noise at shows etc
Kids politely asking to help reminds me of me when I was younger, my parents paid for me to have riding and horse care lessons from when I was 3yo, not all children are this lucky
Kids asking questions is great, I like helping them learn new things and I think it's great that not all kids just want to ride, some love looking after the horses to

However I don't think anyone should be expected to have to watch out for the safety of a child without being asked to. If a parent brings a child to the yard it is their responsibilty, unless they ask another person to watch them and this is agreed. I know fellow liveries also have long days and could need a few child free mins and am happy to help if asked to. But if a child was running riot and presently a danger to itself and others then no this isn't acceptable or safe

Last edited: