Colic

Trouper

Visit site
Baby steps - he has been thro' a serious op and there are bound to be little things to concern you apart from the outcome of the op itself so don't stress the small stuff just now. His gut has to heal as well as function properly. Fingers and toes crossed for the hay test.

cheekywelshie

Visit site
Just had a call from the vet (I think I sounded very tired as she said 'sorry for waking you' - lol i've been awake most of the night.

So they are trying to give him some hay today. I would like to go up but I am exhausted driving on my own - 100 mile round trip down the M1 and M25 via some busy roundabouts and back in the dark is a bit hair-raising. Work is getting busy too - i managed to 'leave' early yesterday but i feel like i need a week's worth of sleep. I'm worried if I don't go up though something will happen!

IF he gets through this week I need to think where he would be best placed for his recovery if he gets through this week. I wonder if wherever i go i will need to do it all myself because I'll be so paranoid. We're just assisted DIY atm with the owners, no others.. I can't see current yard owners doing late checks at 9pm. I need someone to help me out with hand grazing him a few times a day / or give him hay so I'd go up in the morning and then maybe lunch or PM and need someone to do either lunch or PM and a late feed. I'd also want him on shavings and i think the yard i looked at only did the pellets, My current yard better for bringing back into work because of the land to long rein and walk on but that's few months off. There is no one on site and it is dark there up at night if I had to do late checks as there are no lights on site only the one in the stable (solar powered). Although it is quiet there. I don't want FL just a bit more help than I do now and ideally a late check to stop me worrying!

Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself he's still not pooed yet overnight (did one the other night but that might have been from before) so I really am getting ahead of myself here. he is definitely not out of the woods yet. I also asked them for the latest update on my bill (GULP) - sure it must be approaching 10K now

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
That is a fair old journey you have really been through it in the last week, but I am so glad his now eating and things are going the right way.

If you need a stop gap or some help while you are at the RVC I am 20 minutes away, would be happy to help even if it's a cup of tea or a shoulder xx

Squeak

Visit site
So glad he's seeming a bit perkier and it's looking more positive. Crossing everything that he keeps improving and manages to eat the hay today.

Would it be worth getting a camera for his box? Then you could keep an eye on him all the time and it might give you a bit more flexibility re the late night checks etc.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Can you get a freelance groom to help with the walking out and feeding? Or rope in friends?
I did put a previous horse on assisted livery after he had a colic op, as I couldn't be there all the time ,but depending how adaptable your boy is, he may maybe more settled on the yard he knows? Do you have any annual leave you can take? Also, the reolink go camera is brill and works off solar so you could keep a regular check when you arent there. Good luck, poo watch is so stressful too.

cheekywelshie

Visit site
So he's still perky today but still no poos!:rolleyes::oops: He's only been on handfuls of readigrass and 5 min handgrazing each day, off the antibiotics, getting a small amount of hay tonight. I dont know what to do if he doesn't poo then we are back to square one! I took him out for a handgraze briefly. They said they will text me if he poos.