Colic

Keira 8888

Visit site
So he's still perky today but still no poos!:rolleyes::oops: He's only been on handfuls of readigrass and 5 min handgrazing each day, off the antibiotics, getting a small amount of hay tonight. I dont know what to do if he doesn't poo then we are back to square one! I took him out for a handgraze briefly. They said they will text me if he poos.
Fingers crossed for that poo. Sending all our thoughts and encouragement xxx

Uliy

Visit site
I’m also keeping everything crossed for you. My horse is also currently in the RVC so I know how stressful it is, but just remember they have such a lot of expertise and round the clock care so it’s the best place for him x

PurBee

Visit site
quite a while when you think how much they eat normally, its the bulk that pushes it through, x

exactly...when mine go on more grass it isnt that day i see greener poops - around 2 days later.

its good news the vet did a rectal and retrieved some, means at least its making its way to exit....just needs more bulk to push it along and fully out. He’s not had the roughage amount he’s normally used to.
Fingers crossed for you both X

Pinkvboots

Visit site
When my horse had impaction colic the vet took out everything he could then he was starved for 12 hours, I then had to feed very sloppy feeds then he said mix hay and grass in water so it's basically floating in a shallow bowl and offer small bits at a time, it took him ages to do any poos I know how worrying it is and I know it's not exactly the same but I know food takes a long time to get to the other end, fingers crossed for him.

Annagain

Visit site
My share horse went on hunger strike in protest at his imprisonment when he was on box rest and only did two small poos in 3 days. We were monitoring him really closely for signs of discomfort but he was fine, he just had nothing going in so nothing needed to come out. We set him up with a pen in the corner of the field and he ate normally once he had a few hours out there every day and went back to normal. It could be the same for your boy and he just needs to eat a bit more for it all to come through. Fingers and everything else crossed for poo soon.

PurBee

Visit site
Never been so pleased to hear about a horse pooing! Got my fingers crossed for you x

i was just thinking that...i never thought pre-horses i’d ever be so chuffed to hear a horse is pooping! With op’s case its such a wonderful turn around, having been such a rollercoaster of will he, wont he?....awww we’re at the point of poop party status! ?

brilliant news cheekywelshie...may his healing force continue!

cheekywelshie

Visit site
I love the idea of a poop party! Mind you I have drank so much wine this past week...and somehow managed to get through work. I had to preface each meeting with 'I should just let you know if the vet calls I HAVE to take it and I will call you back'.

So let's see how he does with hay tomorrow and poop and then maybe homecoming on Sat.

But that's another story - whether to move to a yard with someone on site or do it all myself - going up 4 times a day might be tricky but I have some concerns about where I am unless i do it all myself

PurBee

Visit site
How would he deal with a yard move? Is he the type of horse to settle quickly to change or stress with change?
Has he got horse mates at current yrd who will perk him up/he’ll miss? You know him best.

my horses dont like change...but i know many horses used to being boxed to comps/travelling around seeing new things all the time tend to be more relaxed about ‘new’ environments.

someone mentioned getting a stall cam that’s got wifi so you can view his cam on your phone 24/7 and keep an eye on him...great idea if you plan to stay at current yard. Do you know a local groom or other livery who could do 2 of the 4 visits? Don’t be afraid to ask at your current yard, i’d happily help out a fellow livery who’s going through what you are.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
So pleased there is poo. More crossed fingers here.

Concerning the poo counting and watching I sympathise completely. When my mare was recovering from grass sickness I counted poo and listened to gut gurgles religiously for many months.
I have never forgotten this and even now over 20 years later if I haven’t seen poo performances for a day or so I will ‘have a listen’!

Trouper

Visit site
How would he deal with a yard move? Is he the type of horse to settle quickly to change or stress with change?
Has he got horse mates at current yrd who will perk him up/he’ll miss? You know him best.

my horses dont like change...but i know many horses used to being boxed to comps/travelling around seeing new things all the time tend to be more relaxed about ‘new’ environments.

someone mentioned getting a stall cam that’s got wifi so you can view his cam on your phone 24/7 and keep an eye on him...great idea if you plan to stay at current yard. Do you know a local groom or other livery who could do 2 of the 4 visits? Don’t be afraid to ask at your current yard, i’d happily help out a fellow livery who’s going through what you are.
I think PurBee has put it in a nutshell. You know your horse best but if he is going to be the least bit stressy about a move I would hesitate just for now in case of setbacks.

cheekywelshie

Visit site

There is no wifi at current yard it is on the top of a field :(
I am the only livery :(