CRUFTS 2024 roll call!

Spotherisk

Visit site
This day last week, my 13-year-old dog was wobbly but much more sound than the dog of the same age currently on the green carpet.... and I was beside myself.

I'm not denigrating what a brilliant companion he has been to his family but I am just finding it really uncomfortable to watch.

Diesel? If that was a horse the judge would have put it out of the ring and called a vet. Dragging it’s near hind, and with its back… 😳

meleeka

Visit site
This day last week, my 13-year-old dog was wobbly but much more sound than the dog of the same age currently on the green carpet.... and I was beside myself.

I'm not denigrating what a brilliant companion he has been to his family but I am just finding it really uncomfortable to watch.

I’m glad it’s not just me. The fact that he’s been given a prize is wrong. The poor thing should be at home sleeping by the fire, or in heaven :(

ArklePig

Visit site
I don't really 'know' what I'm looking at, being the owner of one not amazingly conformed pet mongrel, but both Mr AP and I gasped at poor Diesel. I was rooting for the lil terrier mix in that category, and the cardigan corgi in the other.

P3LH

Visit site

OH and I said the same - back legs clearly going/gone. Turned over and went and got another gin.

P3LH

Visit site
I hope the Briard gets it, or the Corgi.
I said elsewhere - I was happy to be proven wrong about my breeds. The rough collie was fabulous, a proper rough and from a fab breeder. The Pembroke was spot on, potentially a little low at the front but hard to tell from the telly. Not a draught excluder nor a dick dragger, and a beautiful head along with movement.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
I wouldn’t rely on Fosse . It was showing the 2nd in good citizen male as being female CC winner for ages 😝

My sister reminded me today of the year Mum was shown as winning junior bitch with her later-to-be final champion - loads of people phoning Mum to congratulate her! Actually said dog had got thrown out 🙄🤣🤣

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I still don’t like the back legs. OK she’s not disabled, but the way the breed has gone is sad.

What way is that? Still the most popular service dog in the world, still dominating the podium at all breed utility sports, multiple successful combinations competing in obedience this weekend?

What don't you like about the back legs. Off the top of your head and without influence?

My 13 year old has had a really long and intense sports career and is still ten times sounder than that poor old sod that won Scrufts, yet no one is bemoaning the way Airedales or Retrievers have 'gone'.

I'm sorry but it's a really insulting thing to say to those of us still breeding/campaigning/promoting healthy examples of the breed.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
To add, the Malinois (a breed which everyone thinks has 'replaced' the GSD in sports and service, when many have gone back to them because the health and nerve are better) disappeared up it's own backside and yet no one seems to think that it's a damning indictment of the entire breed....

Mynstrel

Visit site
What way is that? Still the most popular service dog in the world, still dominating the podium at all breed utility sports, multiple successful combinations competing in obedience this weekend?

What don't you like about the back legs. Off the top of your head and without influence?

My 13 year old has had a really long and intense sports career and is still ten times sounder than that poor old sod that won Scrufts, yet no one is bemoaning the way Airedales or Retrievers have 'gone'.

I'm sorry but it's a really insulting thing to say to those of us still breeding/campaigning/promoting healthy examples of the breed.
As a non-breed person I thought she looked much better and more upright than the sorry sights of a few years ago, but how close her hocks came to the floor when she moved troubled me. Not meaning to be insulting at all, is that the correct movement and I'm expecting to see the wrong thing? I only usually see dogs working which always seem much more up on their back toes when they move (hope that makes sense) whereas dogs in the breed ring always seem to sit down more behind.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
As a non-breed person I thought she looked much better and more upright than the sorry sights of a few years ago, but how close her hocks came to the floor when she moved troubled me. Not meaning to be insulting at all, is that the correct movement and I'm expecting to see the wrong thing? I only usually see dogs working which always seem much more up on their back toes when they move (hope that makes sense) whereas dogs in the breed ring always seem to sit down more behind.

As a generalisation the show dogs are over-angulated compared to working lines (which often have incorrect fronts/upright shoulders) and it's exacerbated by the carpet.
They're meant to have a long, low, ground covering gait to run up and down field boundaries all day.

There are absolutely problems, as there are in any other breed, especially such a numerous one, but when one spends nearly all one's spare time helping to train and observe multiple GSDs from all different lines, constantly hearing people say they've all gone down the dumper because of something they see on the telly is rather wearisome.
I see health and mobility issues in the other breeds too (Mals, Dobes etc) but I wouldn't use it to make a judgement call on an entire race.