Dangerous stallion?

TwyfordM

Visit site
Any update on your friend’s condition?

Might not be seeing surgeon until Tuesday now so no real updates. They have said the whole wrist is smashed to pieces so it's gonna take some serious hardware to piece it back together and lots of metal work. 😳

Blood levels going back up, but she's having serious flashbacks 😳

EstherYoung

Visit site
Wow - I saw the gofundme being shared around but didn't know the background. How terrifying. And what a brave little mare. A good Arab will absolutely have your back. Next doors ram got into our field once and started attacking Kerry, and our Felix puffed himself up and put himself in between them in a very assertive manner and striking out at the ram - "You will leave my mummy alone now!!"

shanti

Visit site
That would be absolutely terrifying. That poor lady 😢 I'm not surprised she is having flashbacks, the mental trauma will likely take longer to recover from than the physical injuries. She may benefit from some trauma counselling; I know I would need it if had been through something as horrific as that.

Visit site
Your poor friend. That must have been so scary! I’m so glad her mare stepped in to protect her - what a special horse.

I’m not sure of the timescales, or if your friend can actually play it given her injuries, but research was done that showed playing Tetris after a traumatic incident helped with reducing flashbacks/ minimising effects of PTSD.

Tuesday seems such a long time to wait but I have everything crossed they’re able to reconstruct her wrist.

SEL

Visit site
Might not be seeing surgeon until Tuesday now so no real updates. They have said the whole wrist is smashed to pieces so it's gonna take some serious hardware to piece it back together and lots of metal work. 😳

Blood levels going back up, but she's having serious flashbacks 😳
I'm not surprised about the flashbacks - horrific attack.

I think sometimes they have to let swelling go down although it probably didn't help being in hospital over a weekend. Really hoping for a good recovery for her.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Your poor friend bless her and her brave little horse, my Arabi is protective over me he used to chase off any horse that came near me in the field and if I am riding him he doesn't like any horses in our space.

They are amazing intelligent horses Arab stallions were used to protect the women and children of the Bedouin soldiers and actually slept in the tents with them, I've known alot of Arab stallions and most have very kind temperaments.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I had a horse pretty similar , wasn't aggressive when I bought him as a 4 yo
Appaloosa though so a bit "quirky".
Less than a year later he nearly took a chunk off my shoulder over the stable door and picked a vet up by her pony tail and sent her flying.
He turned out to be a wobbler so clearly was getting increasingly distressed, hence the escalating behaviour.
He was PTS soon after diagnosis.

I'd like to think that a gelding that behaves like this either has been badly abused or has a pain /neurological condition
Yes I suspect he had some kind of something up in the brain, as there was a lot of more benign oddness about his behaviour too. One of the most striking examples was a week after we first took him out in the lorry for a little play on a xc course, and having been willing but non descript about the lorry the first time, a week later the lorry was brought round to the main yard and the ramp dropped, I got him out of his stable and he promptly tanked and got away from me, ran up the lorry ramp and parked himself sideways ready for the partition to be shut on him. After one trip out? Was this really just such an instant positive association? If so was he really this clever? Just bizarre.

I've honestly never met the like of him before or since and have often wondered what happened to him. As far as I can tell he never appeared in affiliated competition.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Can I suggest that you add the behaviour of the mare to the description, I think it will get more donations if you do. Perhaps explain that donations will go to paying to look after the mare and other horses while she is recovering, too.

meleeka

Visit site
I have known one stallion that went for anyone. He was a beautiful horse but completely evil. He bred the most beautiful natured horses which is probably they kept him.
I don’t think any horse is evil. I knew of two stallions that would have dragged anyone over the door. The only people that ever went in their stables were the owners, the wife to muck out while they were eating, or the husband with his blue pipe in hand for anything else. The thing was, they never got turned out. They got ridden once a week and were fed oats in the meantime. They were basically stir crazy. They hadn’t been taught any manners, if the blue pipe wasn’t around they’d take their frustrations out on the nearest thing. Invariably I think it’s a management issue when stallions are aggressive.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Invariably I think it’s a management issue when stallions are aggressive
Management certainly has a lot to do with it, but some stallions are just more aggressive than others. The same can be seen in other species too. I have been keeping sheep for well over 30 years and in that time I have had tups (rams) which while seeming ok as youngsters but as they mature, usually around 3 I have found, can become extremely aggressive to the extent anyone stepping into their field is fair game. When they are homebred and you know they haven't been mistreated then it has to be temperament. The same with stallions, some are total sweethearts but some cannot be trusted.

meleeka

Visit site
Management certainly has a lot to do with it, but some stallions are just more aggressive than others. The same can be seen in other species too. I have been keeping sheep for well over 30 years and in that time I have had tups (rams) which while seeming ok as youngsters but as they mature, usually around 3 I have found, can become extremely aggressive to the extent anyone stepping into their field is fair game. When they are homebred and you know they haven't been mistreated then it has to be temperament. The same with stallions, some are total sweethearts but some cannot be trusted.
Do you think it’s hormone levels in that case? Presumably sheep don’t have the same frustrations that horses do, unable to mate as much as they need to in order to be calm?

ponyparty

Visit site
Donation made - agree with ycbm’s comment above, I was going to share to FB but felt I needed to provide more of the story and it didn’t feel right trying to do it myself as I don’t know Tracey. If you could provide more details of what happened, and the “why” behind the collection, it would encourage more people to donate 😊

ihatework

Visit site
How shocking and horrible.
I really hope your friend makes a quick recovery and the stallion owners are held to account (though I suspect not 😞).

Personally I’d get this in the newspaper if the police don’t take the incident seriously and make a proper effort with those responsible!

Also, ask the hospital for some psychologist support now for your friend to help with the trauma recovery

SDMabel

Visit site
Gosh have just caught up with this , how awful for your friend.

It's truly stuff of nightmares ! As a mother of a 2 year old little boy i cannot keep thinking 'what if' a child wouldn't stand a chance.

Could anyone go round to the travellers with photos of what has happened, they might surprise everyone and do the responsible thing.

What a fantastic mare she has , I've never had any experience with Arabs but owned many mares and know once you have them on side they are loyal.

Sending lots of love to your friend and shall add to the go fund me when i am at home.

Maryann

Visit site
I was attacked by a Shetland stallion. he slammed me against a fence and I fell through it to safety but still have scars. He had not long lost his companion of over 20 years and this was his third offence in about a fortnight. He had attacked a horse that lived in a neighbouring field and his owner while he was poo picking. The other horse saw him off and the owner was able to defend himself with the poo picking tool. There was a footpath running alongside his field which made this behaviour particularly scary. The owner got the hunt out as soon as possible and he was shot with his face in a bucket of food.
The aggression developed after his ancient companion died. I think he just couldn't cope without him.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I was attacked by a Shetland stallion. he slammed me against a fence and I fell through it to safety but still have scars. He had not long lost his companion of over 20 years and this was his third offence in about a fortnight. He had attacked a horse that lived in a neighbouring field and his owner while he was poo picking. The other horse saw him off and the owner was able to defend himself with the poo picking tool. There was a footpath running alongside his field which made this behaviour particularly scary. The owner got the hunt out as soon as possible and he was shot with his face in a bucket of food.
The aggression developed after his ancient companion died. I think he just couldn't cope without him.

That’s quite sad, poor little chap. At least he went peacefully and was back with his friend

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Do you think it’s hormone levels in that case? Presumably sheep don’t have the same frustrations that horses do, unable to mate as much as they need to in order to be calm?
Not really, just temperament. You only have to look at people to see the different temperaments, often amongst siblings with the same upbringing.