Dangerous stallion?

TwyfordM

Visit site
I can only imagine the amount of pain killers it takes to do that. What a trooper she is.

Zero. She has kidney and liver issues now (kidneys were pre existing but worsened by accident) so she might pop a paracetamol to get her through driving the box home after a ride but beyond that, won't take anything.

No idea how she does it, silly high pain tolerance?
Never moans either, if she does moan I know it's time to Chuck the paracetamol and a can of coke at her 😂

ETA - she's also got metalwork holding her foot together and previously broke her back. Essentially she's superwoman 🤣

TwyfordM

Visit site
9296363B-4E6F-4044-9FAC-A4A475CC79FE.jpeg

So, the fix didn't work at all. The surgeon just smashed the bone together and you can see now it's all moved. Seen the surgeon recently and they say they won't do anything to fix 😳😳

This has gotten worse in a week, the bone lump was half that size a week ago 😳😳😳

meleeka

Visit site
View attachment 137043

So, the fix didn't work at all. The surgeon just smashed the bone together and you can see now it's all moved. Seen the surgeon recently and they say they won't do anything to fix 😳😳

This has gotten worse in a week, the bone lump was half that size a week ago 😳😳😳
😳 Have they said what the lump is and why it’s growing? I don’t think I’d be happy if it’s not stable. Is she in pain?

Parrotperson

Visit site
View attachment 137043

She’s entitled to a second opinion

I’d be asking for it right about now……

TwyfordM

Visit site
😳 Have they said what the lump is and why it’s growing? I don’t think I’d be happy if it’s not stable. Is she in pain?

Yep, lots of pain still. They said last Saturday that it's not joined together in the way they hoped, and without the support of tendons etc (they were shredded) there's nothing holding it in place so it's moving. Her hand is now stuck at that angle because there's bone in the way of her straightening it 😳

I don't think they know what to do, it's been seriously messed up. She had a second opinion in jan abroad and they said they were at a loss of what to do given the way it's been left from the original fix and didn't want to attempt anything yet due to her kidney issues and the risks of further blood loss.

She's asked for a referral onto someone who might actually have some suggestions, but they are dragging their feet - think they know they've messed up 😳

meleeka

Visit site
Yep, lots of pain still. They said last Saturday that it's not joined together in the way they hoped, and without the support of tendons etc (they were shredded) there's nothing holding it in place so it's moving. Her hand is now stuck at that angle because there's bone in the way of her straightening it 😳

I don't think they know what to do, it's been seriously messed up. She had a second opinion in jan abroad and they said they were at a loss of what to do given the way it's been left from the original fix and didn't want to attempt anything yet due to her kidney issues and the risks of further blood loss.

She's asked for a referral onto someone who might actually have some suggestions, but they are dragging their feet - think they know they've messed up 😳

I hope she keeps nagging them. At the very least they should be able to make it stable. They surely can’t just wash their hands of it and leave it like that!

TwyfordM

Visit site
I hope she keeps nagging them. At the very least they should be able to make it stable. They surely can’t just wash their hands of it and leave it like that!

She will, can't stay like this. I don't think any of us expected her to have a working hand again post accident. The damage was unreal, but it's mad that the surgeon appears to have made it worse 😳😳

TwyfordM

Visit site
TwyfordM! She needs a completely independent second opinion by a top class surgeon. Would need to go privately. She needs to ask her doctor for an 'Open letter of Refferel'. One with a good reputation is Maxim Horwitz who can be seen at the Wellington Clinic at St Johns Wood London.

Will be done, but it's shocking the state the NHS are happy to leave her in 😳

TwyfordM

Visit site
God that’s awful! I can’t believe she has been left like that. The poor, poor lady.
Has she basically got no movement in her wrist now then?
Nothing, and she can't even straighten it because the bone is physically in the way. She can barely wiggle a finger, the amount of pain she's in is ridiculous.

Amputating and giving her a prosthetic wouldn't change much and she would be in less pain

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Nothing, and she can't even straighten it because the bone is physically in the way. She can barely wiggle a finger, the amount of pain she's in is ridiculous.

Amputating and giving her a prosthetic wouldn't change much and she would be in less pain
Awful. Has she had any compensation agreement yet with the stallion owner?

Fjord

Visit site
I was so pleased to see the riding updates, then saw the last picture. How awful, it's horrific to have been left like that.

suestowford

Visit site
Compensation can take an age to sort out and I would expect if there's to be any prosecution it may well have to wait until that's done.
I think it has been mentioned that the Police were involved but I should think it's not possible to discuss that while it's all ongoing.

I do hope there is something that can be done for this poor lady, I am shocked by the state she's been left in.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Has your friend been in touch with the Injured Jockeys Fund, or Oaksey House or the Mark Davies Injured Riders charity for help and advice?

I have seen that Oaksey House/ the Injured Jockeys have helped with physio etc with injured event riders so I don't see why they couldn't help. They might be able to refer to a different surgeon.

When Gilly Elliot broke her arm so badly the local surgeons wanted to amputate it, but she managed to get a referal to someone who dealt with riders and jockeys and put her arm back together again.

4Hoofed

Visit site
Not really anything useful to add other then I’ve just seen and read this entire thread. What an amazing and inspirational lady, and incredible mare. Might I suggest editing the go fund me and making a more public campaign with the aim of raising money to see a private consultant? Even if she could get the initial consult or a few just to see if there’s someone who can do something? Sometimes they can then get you into their NHS clinic if they do nhs work??

TwyfordM

Visit site
So T took Sats out for a ride out yesterday and she put the brakes on before passing the stallions yard. Point blank refused to move, he's back out in the field 😳 and she won't let T near. Bless her. Thankfully he's not next to the path anymore and a couple of fields over ...

She's such a good girl!

T's wrist is looking awful and she's in a lot more pain, NHS are refusing to touch. She's been in to see several consultants at the hospital and they've all said it's fine 🙄🙄 clearly it's not!

So she's going to have to get some further opinions privately ☹️ just to see what her options are, which is ridiculous. She's getting major tremors in that arm, the lump is still moving 😭

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
So T took Sats out for a ride out yesterday and she put the brakes on before passing the stallions yard. Point blank refused to move, he's back out in the field 😳 and she won't let T near. Bless her. Thankfully he's not next to the path anymore and a couple of fields over ...

She's such a good girl!

T's wrist is looking awful and she's in a lot more pain, NHS are refusing to touch. She's been in to see several consultants at the hospital and they've all said it's fine 🙄🙄 clearly it's not!

So she's going to have to get some further opinions privately ☹️ just to see what her options are, which is ridiculous. She's getting major tremors in that arm, the lump is still moving 😭

It could be that it’s ’fine for the level of recovery and progress they’d expect to see at this stage.’ Sadly, the reality is that doctors are not magicians and often there is damage to human beings that just cannot be undone. It’s a hard message to communicate, and an even more difficult message to hear.

I really hope that the stallion owner has been seriously dealt with over allowing it near the path. And that there is sufficient fencing to prevent it ever getting close to the boundary again. It really is absolutely horrendous. I don’t think I could keep a horse who had done that.