Do you wear a body protector when out hacking?

CrazyMare

Visit site
I don't, no one on my yard does and I haven't seen anyone locally wear ond out hacking.

I don't wear one to hunt either and jump big fixed things. Never crosses my mind. Mine lives at home in the garage and comes out for XC only

MileAMinute

Visit site
No, though my hacking options do not include jumping (sadly). This may sound a bit old school, but I have always been taught by BHS instructors that BPs are for fast work, basically XC, and do not aid a good position for other disciplines. I don't think I'd find a BP very comfortable for hacking anyway, though I do love the feel when I get the chance to do some XC.

This, and it's a habit I need to get out of!

I don't actually own a BP atm but will be getting one when I get some spare cash, after coming a cropper jumping yesterday!

marmalade76

Visit site
Ok - so those who don't wear one...would you/do you let your children ride without one??

Neither of mine own a BP, but both are still on the lead rein. I never wore a BP as a child until PC brought in a rule which said they had to be worn for XC. When I was the age my children are now, it was the velvet cap, not a jockey skull and even then the cap was often forgotten. Even so, I have lived to tell the tale without even a broken bone to my name (touch wood)!

PingPongPony

Visit site
Anyone tried one of the Woof Wear contour BPs? :) Half price on a certain website!

sorry can't truly comment on it but what i will say is, that it's much better to spend just a bit more on the BP so thats it's comfortable rather than spend less just because of the price for you to then feel restricted or uncomfortable in it and end up not wearing it.
The 2 most popular choices seem to be racesafe BP's and the Airowear Outlyne.
Personally i have the Airowear Outlyne and i always wear it when i ride whatever i ride, its in a bag with my hat and gloves and now i just put it on automatically, i wouldn't think of not putting it on :) It moulds to you and is comfortable, lightweight and adjustable so in winter you can put it over a hoodie so you just make it slightly bigger, i also find its really good after putting on a bit of christmas weight :D I'd also say that it's best to go to a shop and have it fitted, then you at least know exactly what size you will need and can order online :) I would recommend it to everyone, it really is a great BP :)

Shantara

Visit site
Neither of mine own a BP, but both are still on the lead rein. I never wore a BP as a child until PC brought in a rule which said they had to be worn for XC. When I was the age my children are now, it was the velvet cap, not a jockey skull and even then the cap was often forgotten. Even so, I have lived to tell the tale without even a broken bone to my name (touch wood)!

And I wonder how many kids did get broken bones or worse...didn't survive.
I know, I know...we take a risk just by going to a stables, we take risks just by getting up in the morning and I'm sure we take risks getting into bed. But, if I can spend £100 to make riding just a tiny bit safer, I will!

marmalade76

Visit site
And I wonder how many kids did get broken bones or worse...didn't survive.

Not many, I'd bet. If you compare the amount killed or severely injured to the amount that ride, I'm sure the percentage would be quite small. My children are more likely to be killed or injured whilst I'm driving them around in my current car - a tiny tin can.

AprilBlossom

Visit site
I broke my elbow and most of the fingers on one hand falling off...that's why I now take those foam tubes for swimming with and hollow them our - perfect arm protectors for leading, riding, heck sometimes I pop them on if I'm crossing a busy road :D

marmalade76

Visit site
I broke my elbow and most of the fingers on one hand falling off...that's why I now take those foam tubes for swimming with and hollow them our - perfect arm protectors for leading, riding, heck sometimes I pop them on if I'm crossing a busy road :D

A pair of boxing gloves would be ideal finger protectors!

AprilBlossom

Visit site
I can't use my phone in an emergency then - no fingers. Plus, boxing gloves provide only hand protection.
I'd say it would be...prudent...snigger, though!

chestnuttyy

Visit site
The Woof wear BPs are half price on Derby House and they were given a really good review in Your Horse, apparently very flexible and comfortable to wear. Bonus that the kids size XL seems perfect for me!

I'd love to get a Racesafe but I just don't have that sort of cash spare at the min. I'm tempted to give the Woof one a go

foraday

Visit site
I wear my point two all the time regardless of what I am doing!

Saved my life the other week when I got airlifted to hospital!

Charlie Bucket

Visit site
Why are people on here almost pointing fun at those of us who wear a body protector?
Your over-confidence is bound to catch up with you.

Nobody is forcing a BP down your throat - if you truly believe it is a waste of money then that is your opinion. So please don't joke about those of us who believe that it is a valuable, protective piece of equipment.

I wear mine everytime I ride.

Shantara

Visit site
Why are people on here almost pointing fun at those of us who wear a body protector?

Nobody is forcing a BP down your throat - if you truly believe it is a waste of money then that is your opinion. So please don't joke about those of us who believe that it is a valuable, protective piece of equipment.

I was just about to say the same thing!

millikins

Visit site
Never unless it's compulsory. Since probably 19/20 people I see out hacking don't wear them either I don't think the posters here are a representative sample!

marmalade76

Visit site

I don't think anyone taking the pee out of anyone who chooses to wear one. I do, however, object to being called foolish 'cause I choose not to and I also dislike the suggestion that a BP is the difference between surviving a falll unscathed or not and even life and death when experience tells me it most definitely is not.

If I thought that I was in need of a BP every time I rode, in other words, if I thought that there was a strong chance that I might fall off every time I rode I would give up riding 'cause my nerve wouldn't take a lot of falls. I can sit any amount of spooking and spinning; bucking, I wouldn't like to try (none of the horses I've owned have ever bucked, at least whilst I''ve been on their backs), but a horse that puts it's head down and stops - no chance!

In the last twenty years I only remember falling off twice out hacking (and one of those was bareback!), all my other falls have been whilst hunting or competing. Yes, I go on fast hacks, long hacks, I jump whilst out hacking, mostly hack alone, but I don't feel at enough risk whilst doing this to wear a BP, and if I did it would be time to hang up my boots.

Last edited:

Littlelegs

Visit site
Sorry April blossom & marmalade 76 but your safety just isn't up to scratch. I don't wear a bp myself but that's because I wear a padded suit, motorbike helmet & a quick release parachute. I also have a fitted safety net (like a trapeze artists) fitted underneath too. And boxing gloves with a quick release finger tip for using my phone. Plus a bullet proof vest for good measure.

Venevidivici

Visit site
Riding is a dangerous sport&hacking out on roads (there are v few bridle ways round us) even more so. I have 2little girls that need me and lots of
obligations that I need to see to every day,including work...so I wear an outlyne BP out hacking. My warmblood can be lively and sharp-I take what precautions I can in order to hopefully have a better chance of being around for
those that need me,should an accident happen. It is not a difficult decision for me,or a particularly harsh sacrifice of comfort(I forget I have it on and in winter,it's a welcome extra layer!). Each to their own:)

Venevidivici

Visit site
Should add,I also wear it for XC and when jumping higher courses. I already have 2dodgy vertebrae in my lower back&feel better knowing they are slightly better protected! Re:hacking; I imagine tarmac,drystone walls,cars etc are a somewhat more painful surface to land on than turf and arena surface... ;)

AprilBlossom

Visit site
Littlelegs you genius, where might I purchase a bullet proof vest? I feel that would be a particularly valuable addition as sometimes I hack on a shooting range...

Fair play to everyone who does wear a BP all the time - I don't own one but I dont want one at the moment, that's my own choice and I don't care for the judgemental attitude as equally as those of you who do wear one care for the flippant 'fun poking' comments :D can't everyone just play nicely?

monkeybum13

Visit site
Whilst I always wear my BP for hacking I don't like the attitude of some of the posters on this thread. If someone chooses not to wear one that is their choice. Why are people trying to make them out to be 'bad people' and it looks like some are trying to make people out to be bad parents!

If people like marmalade 76 (sorry to pick you out!) don't want to wear a BP that is their own choice and people should respect that.

Alyth

Visit site
Nowadays I always wear my body protector, just like I do my helmet and safe boots with safety stirrups. I had a fall from my 13.3hh pony when another pony lunged at her - ridden by a novice so no-ones fault, but it took almost a year to be pain free from a compressed fracture of some vertebrae.....and I don't have time to waste healing from injuries!!! So I take every precaution so I can continue enjoying my chosen sport....

ghostie

Visit site
To date I haven't, but having just spent the last three weeks dosed to the eyeballs on painkillers and barely able to move after coming off in the indoor school it has somewhat made me reassess my thinking. Yes, it was my first fall in 16 years, but if I can do this much damage with a 'simple' fall on a soft arena surface than I dread to think what would have happened if it had been the road or even a dry field. So once my new body protector arrives I will be riding it every time I get on my horse's back.

If other people don't want to wear them that's fine by me, but I have every intention of doing what I can to avoid the pain and inconvenience of the last few weeks.