Dolly leaves this weekend.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I'LL answer your question: I have done it, with no ill effects whatsoever, and more than once. I have also ridden many a mare with foal at foot, also with no ill effects - what harm is supposed to happen? EXPERIENCE, rather than sentiment and fuzzy ideas, has led me to do these things - not all foals can be weaned at four months, but actually MOST well-grown, properly cared for ones can. I have bred approximately 200 foals in my lifetime (I am quite old, BTW), and officiated at many more births and weanings. Will you all please just leave this girl alone: she has done a great job, always had the best interests of her mare and filly at heart, and sought good, professional advice throughout. If you don't approve of weaning foals at 4 months, then don't do it. Plenty of professional, commercial breeders do so with no ill effects at all. Jeez!

Polos Mum

Visit site
Just an example of how opinions on this area might differ I wonder how many of us breastfed our kids for the full 2 YEARS recommended by World Health Organisaton !! Many people don't breast feed at all even though it's almost certainly better than formula. I know people are totally different but each person makes a decision based on their own circumstances with advice from experts - and they do the same for their animals.

I've never bred a foal and have no idea on weaning so in TB's shoes I'd have read up (massive range of opinions) and taken advice (vets and buyers who have other youngsters) and made a decision based on that and how mare and foal were doing.
People may have different opinions but I struggle to see what real harm will be done to such a big well established foal
and nobody has explained what she is risking. (just my 50p's worth)

justabob

Visit site
I think the time to wean is a bit like *how long is a piece of string*.It depends on the mare and foal. Dolly looks like a big strong foal, having said that, the initial ground rules are taught to a foal by its dam, it learns its place and no human being can do the job better than the dam. As the foal gets bigger it often gets playful and bolshy this is the time the mare will put it in its place. I think that extra month of education will be missed by taking a foal away too soon. I have bred many foals before anyone asks. But if Dolly is a happy well balanced and confident foal I am sure she will be fine.

tikino

Visit site
5 months is NOT to young to wean a foal and that an experienced breeder talking. you need to few every foal as individuals and she is lovely and well formed enough for weaning good luck in your new home dolly

zigzag

Visit site
5 months is NOT to young to wean a foal and that an experienced breeder talking. you need to few every foal as individuals and she is lovely and well formed enough for weaning good luck in your new home dolly

You haven't read all the thread then, dolly isn't 5 months :p

Purple18

Visit site
Who made you the forum queen? In reply to purple[/]

I just don't think it very fair when Abbie isn't here to stick up for herself. weaning is a tricky question but the decision has been made. Can't we just all be happy that dolly is going to a loving home ? at the end of the day isn't that the important thing ?

Dustygirl

Visit site
What a shame, this thread just makes me sad .
Lots of people have enjoyed Dollys arrival and journey. Why can't people just put their personal views aside and wish her well. It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with the way Abbie has handled this - it's her horse and her choice.

Personally I think Abbie has been amazing and I wish Dolly all the best and look forward to TB and Dolly updates. I hope my daughters turn out to be as well rounded as Abbie.

Fools Motto

Visit site
WOW.. sure is an eye opener this.

Hope Abbie can continue to hold her head high and be extremely pleased with all she has done for Tess, and with Dolly. Cracking foal, big and strong. She'll be just fine. Abbie will have to have the strength of an ox to overlook some of these comments, but if anyone can, Abbie can. She's a good kid, and I admire her.

Good luck Dolly! Safe travels on Saturday... Send us all a quick post card about your new world 'op north!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Who made you the forum queen? In reply to purple[/]

I just don't think it very fair when Abbie isn't here to stick up for herself. weaning is a tricky question but the decision has been made. Can't we just all be happy that dolly is going to a loving home ? at the end of the day isn't that the important thing ?

There's nothing stopping OP joining if she chooses but she's got nothing to stick up for herself about , other people would do something different that's all anyone ones said . What's the issue with that ?

Brightbay

Visit site
Just an example of how opinions on this area might differ I wonder how many of us breastfed our kids for the full 2 YEARS recommended by World Health Organisaton !! Many people don't breast feed at all even though it's almost certainly better than formula. I know people are totally different but each person makes a decision based on their own circumstances with advice from experts - and they do the same for their animals.

I've never bred a foal and have no idea on weaning so in TB's shoes I'd have read up (massive range of opinions) and taken advice (vets and buyers who have other youngsters) and made a decision based on that and how mare and foal were doing.
People may have different opinions but I struggle to see what real harm will be done to such a big well established foal
and nobody has explained what she is risking. (just my 50p's worth)

I wonder how many mothers send their two year old children off to boarding school, by the same analogy? For some reason, we seem to think in animals other than humans the mother-infant bond's only purpose is to provide food. Clearly non human animals do not need a mother for comfort, reassurance, teaching correct behaviour, guidance on what to eat and how to behave. That's just humans.

For what it's worth, I think this thread is useful. If everybody said "gosh well done", and nobody expressed the fact that many people disagree - and have good reason to do so - how would any 17 year old, or indeed any adult, ever change their views? If the discussion causes anybody who currently believes it's "normal and fine" to wean at 4 months, then it's been worth while. I am sure many early weaned foals are "just fine". On the other hand, how many "not just fine" foals, with behavioural problems and ulcers is it necessary to have for the practice to be questioned? One, two, fifty, two hundred? Or do we just accept that something we do for our own convenience is simply "mostly OK"?

Bionic Boy

Visit site
What a shame, this thread just makes me sad .
Lots of people have enjoyed Dollys arrival and journey. Why can't people just put their personal views aside and wish her well. It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with the way Abbie has handled this - it's her horse and her choice.

Personally I think Abbie has been amazing and I wish Dolly all the best and look forward to TB and Dolly updates. I hope my daughters turn out to be as well rounded as Abbie.

Here here

Sandstone1

Visit site
there IS a big problem! have you not see the photos above of Dolly?? Her mother was clearly doing her very well and at that rate of growth, leaving her on her dam could have been very detrimental to her long term health. (think large foal, fast growing joints and bones)...weaning is far more preferable to that, it isn't as if Dolly is some poor weakling foal shut away in a shed somewhere (So I found the dragon driving reference offensive)... you cannot always go by months, you have to go by a lot of other factors and health is the main one. As for someone reading a thread and thinking early weaning is a standard, they shouldn't be breeding in the first place.

Yes I have seen the photos thanks, did you not read my posts, I said she looks a big strong foal and Im sure she will be ok, but why wean so early?? Tess did not look poor in photos and she has been ridden again which im sure would not be happening if she was struggling.

Really cant see why you find the dragon driving comment offensive, If you saw a four month old foal for sale what would you say?? Dolly is a big foal but do you know what her sire was? If he was a much bigger horse its not surprising shes big and will weaning so early make any differance to that? i dont think any harm will come to Dolly, but it would have been much better to wait a few more weeks.

ludlow

Visit site
I think what's really important to remember is that Dolly & Tess have been viewed as an individual case, in the flesh, by both the vet and the stud. Obviously there are general guidelines as to timescales, but these things need to be looked at on a case by case basis, and by professionals who have seen them both first hand. Clearly everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but TB posted on here to let people know who have followed Dolly since she appeared somewhat unexpectedly, not asking for a protracted debate on the rights and wrongs of the situation! To me, a large proportion of the comments smack of armchair experts with a smattering of those who have actually had first hand experience. Leave the girl alone! Jeez!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I think what's really important to remember is that Dolly & Tess have been viewed as an individual case, in the flesh, by both the vet and the stud. Obviously there are general guidelines as to timescales, but these things need to be looked at on a case by case basis, and by professionals who have seen them both first hand. Clearly everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but TB posted on here to let people know who have followed Dolly since she appeared somewhat unexpectedly, not asking for a protracted debate on the rights and wrongs of the situation! To me, a large proportion of the comments smack of armchair experts with a smattering of those who have actually had first hand experience. Leave the girl alone! Jeez!

^^^Well put

FionaM12

Visit site
If the situation did not require it, like in Dolly's case would you do it?

Why are people so sure they understand Abbie's every reason for making her choices? She isn't obliged to explain everything going on in her life here. She didn't even ask for advice on the subject of when to wean, she just thought people would like to be updated with Dolly news.

Everyone seems to agree that Dolly should be fine. Some would have left her with her Mum longer. Beats me why this thread is still going on and on arguing....

doriangrey

Visit site
I have limited experience and have only bred 4 foals out of the same combination, Thoroughbred Mare and Connemara stallion (3 colts and 1 filly). Out of all of them only one required weaning early, the third colt. This was entirely decided between my vet and myself, the colt simply wasn't thriving in the environment that the two previous had done so well out of. The only difference was that year the rain had been very bad and the paddock was much more restricted than usual but we supplementary fed to compensate for this in any case. Anyway, we weaned the colt earlier than usual (from memory he was about 5-6 months - the others we left until yearlings) and he just thrived from then onwards. He was different from the others (including the last filly) - he very much favoured his dam and was much more Thoroughbred in his build. He did take a lot of maturing and became a tall horse, but his temperament (like the others) was superb. There has been some comment about foals learning their boundaries from their dams but at 4 months that should already be established in my opinion, and also I think that it is unrealistic that there should be such expectations when we remove them from the stallion who I believe is a great teacher (sorry to be a broken record). The point I think I'm trying to make is that how can we comment that a foal is weaned too soon when it really isn't in a proper, family environment anyway? So we do the best we can under the circumstances that occur or we create for ourselves.

Amaranta

Visit site
I'LL answer your question: I have done it, with no ill effects whatsoever, and more than once. I have also ridden many a mare with foal at foot, also with no ill effects - what harm is supposed to happen? EXPERIENCE, rather than sentiment and fuzzy ideas, has led me to do these things - not all foals can be weaned at four months, but actually MOST well-grown, properly cared for ones can. I have bred approximately 200 foals in my lifetime (I am quite old, BTW), and officiated at many more births and weanings. Will you all please just leave this girl alone: she has done a great job, always had the best interests of her mare and filly at heart, and sought good, professional advice throughout. If you don't approve of weaning foals at 4 months, then don't do it. Plenty of professional, commercial breeders do so with no ill effects at all. Jeez!

^^^^^^ THIS!!! ALL of it, I too have ridden mares with foals at foot, most professionals wean at 4/5 months.

Some on here are showing an awful lot of ignorance whilst professing to be 'knowledgable'

This filly is very strong and healthy having had a very good start, I am sure she will be absolutely fine.

tikino

Visit site
i think this is a disgrace the way op has been treated you should all be ashamed of your self. i have weaned at 4 months and now have a strapping 16h1 3 yr old and he doent have any problems i would rather wean a bit earlier than later and i have bred many a foal and all went on to do very well. come to think of it how many of you have ever bred a foal let alone done the amazing job OP has done i will tell you bring up a foal aint easy so before you go shouting your mouths of try it and ask your vets and stud what they do. as already stated most big studs wean at 4 months and sell very expensive foals with no ill effects

Purple18

Visit site
There's nothing stopping OP joining if she chooses but she's got nothing to stick up for herself about , other people would do something different that's all anyone ones said . What's the issue with that ?

this thread was to let us no she was going on Saturday was it not ?

therefore why is there a "issue".

maybe other people would but really why does abbie need to no what any of you would do ? Dolly is going on Saturday....

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If the situation did not require it, like in Dolly's case would you do it? You are very good at skating around an answer to an obvious question

Well, simply put zigzag, the mare had stopped allowing Dolly to feed. That is called weaning.

The next step is up to the owner. The owner in this case identified that the mare no longer wished to feed her healthy, well grown foal. Sought the advice of her equine vet and a stud, and with their help was able to establish that it was now a good time to separate them.

I guess that about covers it.

Goldenstar

Visit site
There are lots of people commenting on all the threads to each other as well as the OP .
An Op does not "own " a thread and threads have a life of their own so there's been a discussion about what people think about weaning .
That what makes HHO interesting anything esle would just be deadly dull.

Moomin1

Visit site
i think this is a disgrace the way op has been treated you should all be ashamed of your self. i have weaned at 4 months and now have a strapping 16h1 3 yr old and he doent have any problems i would rather wean a bit earlier than later and i have bred many a foal and all went on to do very well. come to think of it how many of you have ever bred a foal let alone done the amazing job OP has done i will tell you bring up a foal aint easy so before you go shouting your mouths of try it and ask your vets and stud what they do. as already stated most big studs wean at 4 months and sell very expensive foals with no ill effects

Sorry, could you explain that a bit more concisely? I've had a long day dealing with some pretty horrendous things and trying to read that and process it gave me more than a headache.