For those actively looking to buy a horse - how hard is it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auslander

Visit site
I wouldn't video call a potential buyer. Happy to send time stamped videos and pics, but after the last few months, i've realised how may messers and dreamers are out there with no intention of even viewing!
We have 2 for sale at the moment - one very straightforward, but green one, and one cunning, clever, tricky pony. The tricky one has had more viewings, and most of the people who have tried her haven't got a tune out of her. I am beginning to wonder if my chestnut mare herd is ever going to reduce to manageable levels!
We tried one on Tuesday, went back yesterday, arranged a vetting for tomorrow, and will pick her up on Saturday, all being well.

RhossT

Visit site
I wouldn't video call a potential buyer. Happy to send time stamped videos and pics, but after the last few months, i've realised how may messers and dreamers are out there with no intention of even viewing!
I am trying to sell at the minute, nice chunky cob, but not novice drive/ride. One person phoned and the first thing they asked was why was everyone wearing hats. Was he dangerous?

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I am trying to sell at the minute, nice chunky cob, but not novice drive/ride. One person phoned and the first thing they asked was why was everyone wearing hats. Was he dangerous?
Bizarre isnt it! Although I wear a hat because it is other people I dont trust lol 😂

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
If they won't video call with you walk away. I don't know why people don't do this. Same with buying expensive tack and also when buyers are asking to buy. If they aren't trying to scam they will be happy to vc you.
Mr R's doro phone is only 3g and my slightly more up to date one is only used for ordinary phone calls, text messages and whats app. I would not know how to do a video call (multi media messages do not happen as my service provider would like me to take out a more expensive plan and charge extra for them)

This reminds me to look at alternative providers and get back to under £6/month again.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
For educational purposes can you tell me what you see with his feet?

Not saying this pony has it but Connies can have a genetic problem that they are trying to breed out, HWSD, hoof wall separation disease. Quite literally, the hooves can fall to bits.

Last edited:

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
@Birker2020 I’ve just bought and found the market a bit messy at the moment. With a baby of my own these days I set out to buy a sensible Irish type that would hack alone and do the odd clinic, low level dressage etc. There’s a lot out there at low 5s that absolutely shouldn’t be commanding that price, but whereas during covid they’d be snapped up in an instant, they seem to be hanging round a bit longer now. I hired one of those horse finder agents to help with the search and even they were sending me videos of horses that were unsound or had slightly dubious back stories, so I think there’s a fair bit out there still where the sellers are chancing their arm a bit.

In the end my absolute dream horse turned up on my doorstep. By some minor miracle I was first to view, and after passing a vetting with completely clean xrays he came home last week. He’s absolutely not the low level hacker I set out to buy, but he lights up my heart and hopefully with a little luck might be the one that helps me realise my dreams of riding down the centreline in tails someday 🤞🏻

Birker2020

Visit site
@Birker2020 I’ve just bought and found the market a bit messy at the moment. With a baby of my own these days I set out to buy a sensible Irish type that would hack alone and do the odd clinic, low level dressage etc. There’s a lot out there at low 5s that absolutely shouldn’t be commanding that price, but whereas during covid they’d be snapped up in an instant, they seem to be hanging round a bit longer now. I hired one of those horse finder agents to help with the search and even they were sending me videos of horses that were unsound or had slightly dubious back stories, so I think there’s a fair bit out there still where the sellers are chancing their arm a bit.

In the end my absolute dream horse turned up on my doorstep. By some minor miracle I was first to view, and after passing a vetting with completely clean xrays he came home last week. He’s absolutely not the low level hacker I set out to buy, but he lights up my heart and hopefully with a little luck might be the one that helps me realise my dreams of riding down the centreline in tails someday 🤞🏻
Aw he sounds smashing. I hope he's the one. Thanks for sharing your story.

There are many videos of lame horses on line, for my category of horse with the two years of research I've done they are more evident in the under 10K category but then Lari was well over that and look at him.

I guess there are no hard and fast rules.

gallopingby

Visit site
Not saying this pony has it but Connies can have a genetic problem that they are trying to breed out, HWSD, hoof wall separation disease. Quite literally, the hooves can fall to bits.
In recent years connies have had to be tested for HWSD before they can be registered even as a class 3. This will be recorded on their passport as N/N if clear and NWSD/N if a carrier. The ones to avoid are NWSD/HWSD as these are the ones who can develop severe hoof problems. Carriers on one side aren’t a problem unless you’re wanting to breed in which case you should make sure the other pony isn’t a carrier. As a lot of people don’t understand the genetic implications sometimes you can find a geldiing that’s clear on one side but a carrier on the other at a cheaper price although it shouldn’t potentially make any difference.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Aw he sounds smashing. I hope he's the one. Thanks for sharing your story.

There are many videos of lame horses on line, for my category of horse with the two years of research I've done they are more evident in the under 10K category but then Lari was well over that and look at him.

I guess there are no hard and fast rules.

Thank you! After 2 youngsters that have had their careers cut short I’m not holding my breath, but hopefully third time lucky! 🤞🏻

I still found a fair few that looked “off” in the £10-20k bracket but I’m more dressage focused so perhaps it’s less prevalent at that price point for the eventing types?

Annagain

Visit site
When I was looking, I went to see one being sold by a very cocky 18 year old (and his mother but she more or less left him to it). I watched him ride and decided there and then the horse wasn't for me - at 12 he had no idea of cantering on the correct leg (or had a physical issue that meant he couldn't) and while I'd be happy with a 5 year old like that, I wasn't with a 12 year old. I asked him why the horse didn't go on the correct leg and he said "I don't bother with that, it doesn't help you jump any higher." I said thank you for showing him to me but he's not for me, I won't waste more of your time by riding him, The cheeky git said to me, "It's just as well, you've brought your body protector and we always say people only wear them if they're planning on falling off so you must be a rubbish rider."

I was so astounded I didn't say anything just turned round and walked away to my car.

Widgeon

Visit site
I was with SEIB for Lari and told them over the phone I'd paid 12.5k but only wanted to insure for 10k to keep my premium down and they were fine and accepted him based on that. I also had to put it in writing on the form.

My insurers were happy to under-insure by a set % - can't remember how much exactly, maybe 20%? I was talking a fraction of the total money you are but it still made sense to under-insure a bit - it brought the costs down.

w1bbler

Visit site
If they won't video call with you walk away. I don't know why people don't do this. Same with buying expensive tack and also when buyers are asking to buy. If they aren't trying to scam they will be happy to vc you.
Well that rules out lots of people. My yard owner has bred & sold some lovely horses, doesn't know one end of a computer from the other. She grabs anyone handy to do pics / video for adverts & gets them to put the add up.
I don't mind doing that, but video call would be going a bit far as a favour.
I know lots of people ( I think all over 50) who just don't want to join the Internet age

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
prices are still much higher than I'm willing to pay. I wont be buying another horse until prices have significantly dropped.

I don't think they will for a horse without considerable compromises, you might just have to re-adjust your expectations.
I would like to say the same as you have but about buying a house, but I'd be waiting a long time....

JBM

Visit site
Well that rules out lots of people. My yard owner has bred & sold some lovely horses, doesn't know one end of a computer from the other. She grabs anyone handy to do pics / video for adverts & gets them to put the add up.
I don't mind doing that, but video call would be going a bit far as a favour.
I know lots of people ( I think all over 50) who just don't want to join the Internet age
Agreed
I got a 10 second video of an old man’s boots because he didn’t know how to take a picture of his mare 😅

PSD

Visit site
I don't think they will for a horse without considerable compromises, you might just have to re-adjust your expectations.
I would like to say the same as you have but about buying a house, but I'd be waiting a long time....

I have to disagree. I think a LOT will be for sale in winter for a fraction of the price because people will be stuck. Costs of living are going up, as are costs of keeping a horse. I’m not saying they all will, but I do think a lot will be for sale at lower prices simply to make it quicker.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
This last week I'm seeing a lot of late teenaged horses for sale.

"Been there done it & ready for a quieter life" adverts make up the first dozen or so on the page I look at. (Interspersed with the usual array of 'unicorn wanted for £2')

Maybe people starting to thin out the herd before winter?

Last edited:

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Thank you! After 2 youngsters that have had their careers cut short I’m not holding my breath, but hopefully third time lucky! 🤞🏻

I still found a fair few that looked “off” in the £10-20k bracket but I’m more dressage focused so perhaps it’s less prevalent at that price point for the eventing types?
I think we need a piccie of your beautiful new addition ☺️

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I think we need a piccie of your beautiful new addition ☺️
Haha I knew I wouldn’t get away with mentioning a new addition without a piccie for long! 😂

Excuse my terrible riding, I’ve been out of action for the best part of 15 months due to pregnancy/baby so I’m hideously unfit and seem to have misplaced my core 🙈

IMG_4088.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.