Fosse Park Leicester horses

Cherryade

Visit site
Aside frim the carcass which has now been removed, I cant see any problem- granted they arent being kept as well as some would like but neglected I'm not too sure. Theres plenty more out there iving in even worse conditions, whats the plan..........if the RSPCA doesnt remove them what next?.....hound the man or tell the 40,000 facbook fans to back off?

honetpot

Visit site
My horses was PTS in the snow last January, because of the snow the fallen stock man couldn't take him a way. Although he was only there two days until the snow thawed enough to get the truck down the lane, a farmer had to move him with a loader, the stench was awful and lasted for a week or more, everything that touched him was binned or washed. Its been really mild this winter so I am surprised that the EHO did not get complaints about the smell.
I find it bizarre that there are rules about the disposal of meat carcasses down to what you do with the hair, and rules about where and how long you can site a muck heap but if its a rotting equine non seem to apply. I think it was last year that there was one dead in the river in Northamptonshire and no one would take responsibility for its removal.
You may think this is a fuss about nothing, yes there are ponies in worse conditions, the South Wales hill ponies were starved, shot and dropping dead last year , but a company making money from the rent however small a man who's animals appear poorly kept near well populated area, if no one was concerned what does it say about all of us? The owner seems to be thumbing his nose at everyone, what message does this send if no one cares? I do not think we want a society where keeping animals in poor conditions is considered normal and acceptable.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I don't want to live in a society either, where it appears acceptable to some to leave carcasses amongst livestock with complete disregard for public health, environmental health and the welfare of the herd. The owner clearly couldn't give a stuff.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
There are sheep on the northern moors, where carcasses are not found. I have yet to see a petition to government, demanding that if ONE charity decides on the strength of that, to remove the herd, that it should have the right!

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Where has anyone said that its

Perhaps it is my interpretation of several posts - the attitude that it's a common occurrence or the norm amongst livestock owners. If it is then its very disappointing and instead of apathy the public should complain to the appropriate authority. I can't stand apathy - if my neighbouring cattle/sheep/horse etc farmer was in the habit of leaving rotting carcasses in his fields for days I'd be having words. I'd be like a Patterdale on a rat.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
There are sheep on the northern moors, where carcasses are not found. I have yet to see a petition to government, demanding that if ONE charity decides on the strength of that, to remove the herd, that it should have the right!

If that reply is to me? I made no mention of charities.

competitiondiva

Visit site
The law is an ass at times, but a charity HAS TO work within it.

This part I agree with, it's highly likely that they've known about them, but whilst the management of them may have previously been poor, there was insufficient evidence of not meeting their needs. A photo of a dead carcase is always heart rendering, but as the vet has said it was too decomposed to establish cause of death, we nor the RSPCA or the vet know whether it suffered or not. Then the collapsed horse which a vet attended at the request of the RSPCA and paid for by them, the vet deemed this horse to require euthanasia, but again could not state that the animal had been caused un-necessary suffering. The remaining horses are checked by the vet and none are deemed to be in a suffering state. The photo's themselves show them looking in good body health, with access to dry land and a large hay bale which they are eating at... Without veterinary support of suffering there is no evidence of an offence. Whether you or the RSPCA agree/disagree is irrelevant, the law is the law and there it lies..... I can't see how or what the RSPCA could have done differently without taking the law into their own hands. Which in itself would have been counter productive as the court would hold them accountable for theft and order the return of the animals to the owner...

The petition is a good idea in principle. But without financial support what is the point of giving a charity the power to remove animals..... This is the very reason most trading standards offices (who are empowered under the act) do not get involved because of the financial burden. The law is already there. The officers already there to enforce it. The budget isn't..... the best option is to email MP's to get them to put pressure on local councils to act, not leave it to charities.......

Patterdale

Visit site
. I can't stand apathy - if my neighbouring cattle/sheep/horse etc farmer was in the habit of leaving rotting carcasses in his fields for days I'd be having words. I'd be like a Patterdale on a rat.

:D

I am - but luckily none of our neighbours do!
I know it is a common occurrence in some areas though. Doesn't make it right!
We are by the sea, and something's dead sheep wash up in the bay where someone's just cut the ears (and tags) off and just hoyed them off the cliff to avoid paying :mad3:
The council are quite good at coming then though.

magpie92

Visit site
this makes me so angry, these poor animals are suffering, if it had been a cattle herd or sheep flock they would have been removed long ago as they do not have a dry clean area to lye down(in Scotland not sure if the rules are the same in England), but because they are horses and ponies its ok? total b******s if you ask me, they should be removed and stabled/in a field that is is suitable for them not the quagmire that they are in now, the fact that there have been deaths in the field and bodies haven't been removed should be enough to get them out of that hell hole

Moomin1

Visit site
If you read amymays link it says the RSPCA have now changed their minds and several of the animals have been removed.

No, they haven't changed their minds at all. Certain criteria most likely has not been met within the time scale advised therefore the vet has said to now remove.

Moomin1

Visit site
I was going on the wording of the BBC report which says "an animal charity has changed its mind".
Media yet again.
If you carry on reading you will see where it says issues were raised as a result of a vet visit - that means that notices were given to make improvements by a certain date, and if they weren't made, the vet will support removal of the animals, which is what happened

Adopter

Visit site
No, they haven't changed their minds at all. Certain criteria most likely has not been met within the time scale advised therefore the vet has said to now remove.

It is just so wrong that the process of improvement notices etct takes so long, whilst people watch and do not understand that the charities have no choice to follow the law. It is good if there is a resolution this time,but there are still hundreds in other places not in the public eye for whom we need a change in the law.

Moomin1

Visit site
It is just so wrong that the process of improvement notices etct takes so long, whilst people watch and do not understand that the charities have no choice to follow the law. It is good if there is a resolution this time,but there are still hundreds in other places not in the public eye for whom we need a change in the law.
I agree adopter in essence, but you also have to be seen to be giving an owner a reasonable amount of time to make improvements. These notices are given where animals are not suffering, but are likely to suffer if circumstances do not change so there are no animals suffering whilst the time give passes.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I do realise that the media can get things wrong. However it says issues were raised as a result of a vets visit on the Wednesday and animals were removed on Thursday, which doesn't read to me that much time was given to improve the situation.

According to the report the RSPCA initially said the horses had enough food and dry land, and then following the vets visit the conditions were said to be unacceptable. It seems to me the RSPCA should seek expert knowledge asap in these situations as clearly, and understandabl,y their officers don't always have enough knowledge about every type of animl.

Moomin1

Visit site
I do realise that the media can get things wrong. However it says issues were raised as a result of a vets visit on the Wednesday and animals were removed on Thursday, which doesn't read to me that much time was given to improve the situation.

According to the report the RSPCA initially said the horses had enough food and dry land, and then following the vets visit the conditions were said to be unacceptable. It seems to me the RSPCA should seek expert knowledge asap in these situations as clearly, and understandabl,y their officers don't always have enough knowledge about every type of animl.

How do you know WHAT conditions the vet has said are unacceptable? The notices given may be about something health wise with individual horses? Have some horses been removed and not others?

Amaranta

Visit site
Wrong, initially they set criteria for improvement - then in the face of public pressure and an independant vet, they changed their mind.

Keep up Moomin

Moomin1

Visit site
Wrong, initially they set criteria for improvement - then in the face of public pressure and an independant vet, they changed their mind.

Keep up Moomin

Haha!!!!

You do realise that it was the RSPCA who called the vet out themselves? And that the vet is the one who sets out the criteria for improvement?!

MillyMoomie

Visit site
Regardless of everything going on in this particular thread it would be interesting to know if everyone who has commented and signed the petition for changes in the law (which in actual fact is what WHW does and has done since it's formation) has also signed the WHW defra petition regarding british horses being transported live to Europe??????? Very sadly I think prob not.
Social media is responsible for so much hysterics and misguided shouting. I believe that there are truly experienced and knowledgable horse people on here but some of posts I read are just plain stupid, especially when it comes to anything welfare or RSPCA.
Everyone has acknowledged that these horses are in less than ideal circumstances, but please, they are living a 5 star lifestyle compared to the majority of of equines in this country. Apart from a photo of a carcass (hugely emotive pic to put on social media) and a horse in water I have not seen a single photo of an equine in a removable body condition. Has anyone?
The flooding- it's rained for 4 months. Yet in the photos there is obvious dry places. The public are inundating the charities with complaints about horses standing in flooded fields because it's ALL over the news and media- yet there are starving ponies in non flooded fields that no one calls about. These are the equines that day after day after day the WHW and RSPCA and other charities go in (using some of the best animal welfare legislation in the world) and try and help, they receive little thanks from the public and when they try to raise awareness by using SOME of these jobs in the media generally get bashed for 'not doing more' or ' left it too late'.
Everybody needs to get real and realise that this is happening to a far greater extreme all over the country and stop complaining about what the charities ARENT doing and help.
Sign every WHW petition, like the FB page. Adopt a horse to make space for others.( if there is no space, there is no space it's very simple).Donate or just respect that everyone is doing the best they can in a very difficult situation. It's called THE HORSE CRISES.

Amaranta

Visit site
Haha!!!!

You do realise that it was the RSPCA who called the vet out themselves? And that the vet is the one who sets out the criteria for improvement?!

Moomim believe me I am VERY close to the facts in this case, UNLIKE yourself.

Now sweetie, remember that old adage? If you have nothing nice to say - keep your mouth shut!