Gordon Elliott

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm quoting your post but not specifically aiming the reply at you any more than ycbm and minesadouble who agree with you.
I cannot see it is defensible. Not just poor PR it showcases a whole attitude.

I've bolded the bit that matters Clodagh.

It doesn't bother me, purely on the face of it, that he sat on a dead horse. After all, there are plenty of people reading this sat on parts of a dead cow. But it does bother me that nobody, even someone who thinks a carcass is just a carcass, would ever think of sitting on it! It demonstrates his basic lack of respect for the animals in his care and to me it indicates clearly that he thinks of them only as tools of his trade.

I am disgusted by the attitude that what he did exposes, but not repelled by the act itself.

I hope that makes sense?

ycbm

Visit site
Why does the horse look in such poor condition?

It's racing fit and animals "deflate" when the life force leaves them.

This horse, bought direct from training and still with his auction number on, would have looked even worse than that dead. He is not unhealthily thin, he is just fit in a way we are very unused to seeing in leisure horses these days.

CRIM0009WR.0.jpg

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I cannot speak for minesadouble or ycbm .

I have 3 times had a dog be pts on the operating table. I have not asked for the body to be returned or individual cremation, I do not want the ashes back, although I have asked for the collar and lead. As soon as the animal is dead , it's gone. Our dogs showed me that on the day that we had a 15 yr old Lab bitch pts at home, because she was terrified of the vets' surgery, having had to stay overnight previously. Vet did the deed with the Lab in front of the fire, with the other dogs out of the way. Then we let the other dogs in to see what had happened. They trampled all over the body, as if it were a rug, trying to get to talk to the vet. They would never have trampled on her when she was alive but a couple of minutes later, at most, and they knew that she wasn't there.

I, too have held horses to be shot, I usually go into the house for the winching, because I really don't want that to be my last memory of the horse - that certainly isn't a dignified/respectful process.
I wouldn't have sat on the dead horse, nor do I think that anyone else should but that is because I think of the owner, rather than because I think it is intrinsically wrong to sit on a dead horse. It is pretty obvious from the photo that the trainer was showing off to someone and that most definitely does make his actions wrong on that day.

I must admit that I am more concerned about living horses being treated properly than dead ones. It makes me very cross when I read on here about people riding horses when they know the tack doesn't fit, because they can't get an appointment with a saddle fitter. I would rather get het up about that tbh. But if my horse was in training with GE, I would be moving it pdq, because of the attitude, rather than because of the action, iyswim.

You are right - in that no additional harm is done to the horse by sitting on it after it has died. I worked in a vet hospital - I've handled a lot of dead horse bodies. But I have to say I was never tempted to sit on one and pose, even if I correctly believed that no further harm would be done to the horse. It just doesn't feel right.

The harm done is public perception of the sport - which was already very low and can seemingly only get lower. I'm half hearted myself about whether the public are right - there are lots of things about NH racing which don't chime well with me.

I have no doubt that NH racing will be banned or otherwise end during my lifetime - it's just how quickly that it happens really...

Nicnac

Visit site
Although I applaud the BHA for effectively suspending GE pending investigation it is a pity that the owners and jockeys suffer for his piss poor behaviour IF the IHRB dawdle over making their decision on the outcome and their horses can't race.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Hope the BHA uphold that ban

What will the delightful owner of Tiger Roll, who was so keen to stand by him, do if that ban continues to Cheltenham and Aintree?!

It would be VERY interesting to see the reaction to him if fans were at Cheltenham etc...

If he gets to run at Cheltenham it'll be interesting to see what those interviewing him if he wins say

ycbm

Visit site
I have seen dead horse before and racehorses but the one in that photo looks poor not fit.

The trainer has no interest whatsoever in having an underfed racehorse in his yard. Personally, I'm satisfied that it was just a fit TB whose muscle tone has all gone just before rigor mortis sets in.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I’d want the people handling my horses to be a bit down when they die.

I do agree that it’s just a body, and I know everything dies, but I’d hope they cared enough about the animal to be a bit sorry that it had dropped dead in their care. Just a bit subdued would do, not expecting wreaths of flowers and a catered wake.

I wouldn’t expect them to be making jokes about it, and I do not buy the “sat down on it accidentally” line. It’s a dead horse, not a freshly painted bench. People do not “accidentally” sit on carcasses.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Yes, if he gets to run his horses at Cheltenham who should feel lucky it is 'behind closed doors' because I for one would not be giving any of his winners, the famous victory cheer.

I am saddened that a lot of racing folk now feel they have to justify their love for their horses, which was previously never in doubt, because of this sick individual.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
A fine, even a hefty one, is IMO, not the way to go here. He has some wealthy owners so it wouldnt impact on him in the way it would a smaller trainer. He needs a ban, although again, it will be his staff who will suffer the consequences
His staff may be secretly hoping the arrogant twerk gets his comeuppence

Gingerwitch

Visit site
What's the LR?

I'm not a member of, but am browsing, a racing forum which id guess the main audience of is those who gamble. I'm annoyed to see most of them coming out in support of GE and saying how people are unnecessarily outraged and he shouldn't have a ban or horses taken away- not adding well to the image to be honest- shows what most punters think of the horses as well

https://theracingforum.co.uk/forums/topic/gordon-elliott-2/page/12/

The one who's user name has ship in seems especially unpleasant
Mr ship though made some pretty horrific accusations on that forum and no one seems to be pulling that thread.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Hope the BHA uphold that ban

What will the delightful owner of Tiger Roll, who was so keen to stand by him, do if that ban continues to Cheltenham and Aintree?!

It would be VERY interesting to see the reaction to him if fans were at Cheltenham etc...

If he gets to run at Cheltenham it'll be interesting to see what those interviewing him if he wins say
Hopefully owners will show him the same respect and just move them to ensure they can race and then leave them where they are.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Although I applaud the BHA for effectively suspending GE pending investigation it is a pity that the owners and jockeys suffer for his piss poor behaviour IF the IHRB dawdle over making their decision on the outcome and their horses can't race.
The owners are permitted to move their horses to run with other trainers under this ruling.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i am also in the once they are dead the body is not who they were, so i have never had any of my animals ashes back but if that was my horse that had tragically had a heart attack on the gallops, that picture and attitude would have really upset me and i would have never used that trainer again. i thought like mick fitz that is was a fake at the beginning but when GE didnt deny it that pointed to it being real. hope he has had a few sleepless nights...

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I think what has quite rightly bitten him on the backside even more, is the fact, quite rightly, it isn't just racing publications making it as a news article- if it was, it would have been a lot easier for the authorities to sweep under the carpet.

Unfortunately racing in Ireland comes across as a lot less caring, so most they will do is fine and slapped wrist

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

The owners can move their horses and still race them, if they so wish.

Visit site
He doesn't run his own social media.

The Racing Post has just put out an exclusive interview with Elliot. It is very well written and will be aimed at tempering the flames.

AdorableAlice

Visit site

Flame_

Visit site
He doesn't run his own social media.

The Racing Post has just put out an exclusive interview with Elliot. It is very well written and will be aimed at tempering the flames.

As far as damage limitation goes, I'd say you can't do better than that. Good job, and perhaps some or all of it's sincere.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I've been involved in the euthanasia of a number of horses through work - and have had to sit on necks to stop horses with broken legs trying to get up.

There wasn't one I didn't stroke, speak softly to, and love in its last moments though.

I have never seen anyone in the equine industry being as disrespectful as Elliott in that photo.

Nicnac

Visit site
The owners can move their horses and still race them, if they so wish.

Yes FF said that too. I wasn't aware they could if already entered but that's good news and hope they move them from his yard and they're not too unsettled by the change as could impact performance. Cheltenham is only 15 days away so doesn't leave much time although if it were me, I would have moved my horse(s) as soon as that photo came to light.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yeah, there's a country mile of difference between being ambivalent about death & dead bodies and posing with one. A person to whom it even occurs to pose with the carcass of a just dead animal that was in their care, has a troubling personality - it is not normal behaviour.

Also, it is deeply reminiscent of the sort of posing hunting pics people used to take years ago with a tiger or similar that they had shot. Not even the most hardcore antis generally go as far as suggesting that those in racing deliberately kill the horses in their care....

Racing needs to throw the book at him.