Grand National 2012- Carnage! What did everyone think?

Jesstickle

Visit site
Everyone seems to forget about the Jockeys but at the end of the day the jockeys lifes are far more valuable then the horses :( (And I know people will disagree with me on that one but there is no comparison between a human life and that of an animal IMO).

Well, I certainly won't.

My heart was in my mouth for poor Ted and Katie when Ruby didn't jump straight up in the hurdles. Very please he is ok. There has been a jockey fatality in the National I think. Hopefully not this year though

Holly Hocks

Visit site
What about making the fences bigger again and running the race in groups of ten with either a final or fastest time wins. *dons tin hat*

LOL!! Take the tin hat off - no need for that.
I understand what you're saying - but speed is part of the problem so a fastest time, even in a smaller field would have even worse consequences. When the fences were bigger the riders went slower hence less fatalities.

People called for the race to be made safer, so the fences were made smaller, the landing side of some fences was raised, horses go faster, more horses get killed....

3Beasties

Visit site
Making the jumps smaller won't work... they go faster.
Reducing the length of the race won't work - they go faster.
Reducing the field numbers may work - but how can you prove it? They can still go fast, still get tripped up and are still jumping the big fences. As it is, they spread themselves out accross the course and appear to give each other room.
Making the sure the ''right qualified horses only enter'' - works until 'sods law' trips them up. Equally the same for the jockeys.

As far as I can tell, the only way of ''helping'' dampen the blow of fatalities is simply that - dampen it. Soften the ground, they will gallop slower because of it, and if they fall the ground helps. (not saying it will cure it - I doubt anything will). This spring has seen more fatalities on the flat than I care to remember. The going has generally been good, sometimes firm. Bloody sods law, hate it. No one is to blame for today.
Anyway, thats my thoughts.
Still feel desperatly sorry for all connections.

The voice of reason :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Up until now I just thought it was "one of those things" that just happens in jump racing. But your post really brought it home to me because it is spot on.

If it was Badminton, it would not be allowed to continue. If it was World Cup Show Jumping, it would not be allowed to continue. If it was Premier League Dressage ........ If it was any other horse sport at all, other than racing, killing horses almost every time it was run, it would be stopped.

And I now think it should be.

Or dogs.

joeanne

Visit site
What about making the fences bigger again and running the race in groups of ten with either a final or fastest time wins. *dons tin hat*
I think a lot of the problems arose when the anti brigade and H&S started on about the size of the fences making the course unsafe.
The reality is the horses run faster at the now smaller fences and THIS is where the danger lies!

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
i thought Clare Balding seemed upset too at the end, not sure if I was imagining things?!

She was upset because the BBC has lost the coverage. Terrible race, complete farce from start to finish.More horses will be pts this week. It could not happen in any other equine sport. Money and animals = cruelty

touchstone

Visit site
I think one of the biggest dangers is from loose horses, in which case a smaller field has to have an impact and wouldn't making the ground heavier simply increase the chances of horses tiring so prone to making mistakes and straining tendons etc? I'm far from an expert in racing though, so probably talking complete twaddle.

Montyforever

Visit site
The jockeys go into that race knowing exactly what to expect, that they could be injured or die but they do it still (for the money I guess!) the horses have no idea of the risks and don't choose to do it :( that's why I care slightly more about the horses than the jockeys in this case.
Not saying the horses life is worth more, just that the jockeys know what they are getting into and the risks.

Marydoll

Visit site
Everyone seems to forget about the Jockeys but at the end of the day the jockeys lifes are far more valuable then the horses :( (And I know people will disagree with me on that one but there is no comparison between a human life and that of an animal IMO).

The difference for me is jockeys make an informed choice to run in a very dangerous race, and by taking the ride, accept it, the horses dont.

Jesstickle

Visit site
The jockeys go into that race knowing exactly what to expect, that they could be injured or die but they do it still (for the money I guess!) the horses have no idea of the risks and don't choose to do it :( that's why I care slightly more about the horses than the jockeys in this case.
Not saying the horses life is worth more, just that the jockeys know what they are getting into and the risks.

You honestly care more about a horse than a person? You wouldn't be sadder if a jockey died than if a horse did? Really?

This country is absolutely barking.

ASBO Bob

Visit site
I think one of the biggest dangers is from loose horses,

i was very worried for the jockeys near the back of the field surrounded by so many loose horses, must be terrifying knowing that the loose horse could suddenly cut across your path in front of or after a fence.

is there any way to clear loose horses faster? i can't think of any but someone might know .. ?

3Beasties

Visit site
You honestly care more about a horse than a person? You wouldn't be sadder if a jockey died than if a horse did? Really?

This ^^^

A footballer collapsed and died today during a match, I'm sure there will damn sight less posts on here and FB as there will be about the loss of the two horses in the National. :(

Jesstickle

Visit site
Jesus. There are some idiots on here. It's a horse lovers site.
Jesstickle. ***** off.

If I were a button pusher you'd be banned right now.

7f sprints are flat races and flat races jump off out of the stalls. Jump races start behind a tape. I'm not sure why pointing that out to you means you have the right to swear at me tbh?

Marydoll

Visit site

I didnt read the posters comment like that, as their view is similar to mine, just saying the jockey knows theres a chance they could be killed or seriously injured taking part in the race, and therefore accept the risk, horses dont/cant.
I dont think anyone would say it should be a jockey rather than a horse, but most would hope neither, by reducing the risk for everyone

3Beasties

Visit site
is there any way to clear loose horses faster? i can't think of any but someone might know .. ?

As far as I know the track has been improved to include 'chutes' for the loose horses to run down, this only works if they choose to take them though and not continue with the rest of the field.

amandap

Visit site
I think today has finally done it for me. I had a bad feeling about it when McCoy came off and synchronised legged it. What a shame they caught him.
Perhaps he knew something... :(
Racing, and all it's old gits needs to get up to date. It's not acceptable any more!!
Agree.

It's no longer a national treasure, it's a national disgrace. :(

It's a joke we consider ourselves animal lovers. :rolleyes:

Reducing the field is the only option I can see that might help reduce the carnage.

As for jockeys... yes it is a shame they die but they chose to ride, the horses didn't! It's not a case of who is WORTH more it's a case of choice and informed consent! :rolleyes:

Jesstickle

Visit site
This ^^^

A footballer collapsed and died today during a match, I'm sure there will damn sight less posts on here and FB as there will be about the loss of the two horses in the National. :(

Tragic isn't it? OH told me :( Thoughts to his family. I think in Italy he will be getting all the tributes he deserves though. I hope so.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
If I were a button pusher you'd be banned right now.

7f sprints are flat races and flat races jump off out of the stalls. Jump races start behind a tape. I'm not sure why pointing that out to you means you have the right to swear at me tbh?

I'm not sure quite what you're supposed to have said to provoke such an aggressive response either!

vickyb

Visit site
I watch a lot of racing and have seen many horse related accidents, but the most sickening thing I have seen is the accident to the jockey (was it Peter Toole? Can't quite remember) on grand national day last year when his horse landed on him and crushed him. He is still recovering.
I think the falls are caused largely by the large fields though. Two previous races this week over the national course didn't produce any fatalities.

minesadouble

Visit site
Snycronised should not have run.... Selfish and greedy IMO

The tragic death of Synchronised was somehow related to the fact he ran at Cheltenham in March???

Didn't Big Buck's also run at Cheltenham in March and have another record breaking victory at the same Aintree meeting where Synchronised was lost?

Talk about twisted logic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!