Help...quick... I have covid ?

southerncomfort

Visit site
I had a pretty mild case back in March. I have asthma and had chest pains for weeks afterwards and had to go on stronger medication. My airways are still inflamed now and my asthma symptoms are triggered much more easily than before. I never used to have attacks as such, now I have 3 or 4 a month. I don't know if these changes are temporary or permanent.

Not going to lie, I'm really scared of getting covid again. I think their is a very real possibility of me ending up in hospital this time.

We mustn't underestimate this virus. Its still here and it's spreading fast. Hospital admissions are rising as are deaths. Its really important that we do everything possible to protect each other. Following self isolation rules is particularly important. If one of the liveries at this yard has an underlying condition they could be at high risk right now.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Really no attacks here, it's just a really serious situation.

If my YO got COVID I'd step in to help while she isolated because my schedule is flexible at the moment. You may find this the case with one of your liveries. If it means keeping the yard up and running, they might help out, and it's just a temporary thing.

You (well, not you literally) just need the basics done. Turnout, feed, and mucking. If possible, see which horses can live out.

Absolutely no riding.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Haven't read the whole thread, but in lack of finding specific instructions regarding horse owners, perhaps the instructions on the Battersea page for dog, and cat owners, which says that it is updated according to the latest Coronavirus regulations for England, and Scotland, could be useful.

As I understand it, for example, you are allowed to take your dog out for toilet visits, even if you're isolating. But only either in your garden, or as close to your house as possible. And preferably you should get someone else to do it.

To me that would mean that you should preferably get someone else to look after your horses. However if that is not possible, you are allowed to provide them with a basic amount of daily care, as in food + water, but you should probably leave them out in their field if that is possible. And definitely no going inside tack room, nor riding.

https://www.battersea.org.uk/pet-ad...oure-ill-or-have-self-isolate-due-coronavirus

Also, if you at most have mild symptoms, could you perhaps be tested again, to check so that your first test wasn't a false positive test?

https://www.thelocal.se/20200825/sw...00-people-test-false-positive-for-coronavirus

Reacher

Visit site
I think the shared areas needs to be cleaned and not by the person who is confirmed covid.
See Government website advice for businesses and self-employed - cleaning in non healthcare settings outside the home:
Principles of cleaning after an individual with symptoms of, or confirmed COVID-19, the case has left the setting or area
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...mination-in-non-healthcare-settings#left-area

Last edited:

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
That’s insane, are we really supposed to be worrying about being sued now for a virus that you could or couldn’t catch anywhere !
Yes, if you are a business owner, you have a duty of care to your employees and customers.

If you are negligent, don't self-isolate and pass on the virus whilst aware that you have it, then yes you can be sued.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Unless the OP can completely segregate her part of the yard and all storage areas, feed rooms, hay barns, fields, walkways and the public footpath etc etc, she must not go out and tend to her horses at all. She and her liveries/any other members of the public must have their own completely separate areas at all times.

The liveries part of the yard needs to be fully cleaned as per the guidelines that Reacher posted, and by a non infected person, not the OP.

All of us need back up plans in place in case we get infected. Mine are written on the feed room whiteboard so that anyone can take over. The basic ‘Covid care‘ plan is to chuck them out, make sure that the water is kept topped up and that the 2 x PPID horses get their daily prascend.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Haven't read the whole thread, but in lack of finding specific instructions regarding horse owners, perhaps the instructions on the Battersea page for dog, and cat owners, which says that it is updated according to the latest Coronavirus regulations for England, and Scotland, could be useful.

As I understand it, for example, you are allowed to take your dog out for toilet visits, even if you're isolating. But only either in your garden, or as close to your house as possible. And preferably you should get someone else to do it.

To me that would mean that you should preferably get someone else to look after your horses. However if that is not possible, you are allowed to provide them with a basic amount of daily care, as in food + water, but you should probably leave them out in their field if that is possible. And definitely no going inside tack room, nor riding.

https://www.battersea.org.uk/pet-ad...oure-ill-or-have-self-isolate-due-coronavirus

Also, if you at most have mild symptoms, could you perhaps be tested again, to check so that your first test wasn't a false positive test?

https://www.thelocal.se/20200825/sw...00-people-test-false-positive-for-coronavirus

Sorry but if you are self-isolating due to a positive test you must not leave your property for any reason (including obtaining food or medication for yourself). You cannot provide your animals with basic daily care if that would mean you needed to leave your property or you share your property with others. In this case you must put other arrangements in place for their care. If you cannot get anyone to get food or medication for you or get your animals looked after you should contact your local council for advice.

Reactions: JJS

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I don’t think anyone is blaming you OP for contracting corona. But I would blame you if someone at your yard caught it after the positive test. Surely you have a back up plan for serious illness/injury.

And for goodness sake no don’t ride. Hope you feel better soon.

Micropony

Visit site
This exact thing happened on our yard, which sounds like similar setup to yours, I.e. yard at YO's home. She had mild symptoms so was able to continue to work. Groom, exercise rider and liveries were excluded from the yard entirely for her self isolation period and she was solely responsible for all care for all horses on the yard. Farrier and physio were due during that period and both were re booked for after. Fortunately we had sufficient hay and bedding, as delivering to perimeter of property for her to move manually to yard would have been really difficult.

As contacts of a confirmed positive case, we were also obliged to self isolate, despite having tested negative.

Had YO become too unwell to care for the horses, our Plan B was that she would stay off the yard entirely and I would have taken time off work, disinfected the whole yard and taken over sole care of all horses. Not ideal, I would have had to move into an outbuilding to avoid travel during self isolation, and would have had to hop in the car to get there, but the best we could think of.

Virus can be transmitted by touching anything the infected person has touched- hoses, taps, headcollars, rugs, feed buckets, stable bolts, haynets, horses, dogs, anything. There's no way, however conscientious you are about cleaning, you can use the same space, even at different times, without some risk.

You may not feel unwell, but you really must self isolate properly, of course you mustn't ride, and all your contacts must self isolate too.

If you didn't have a contingency plan ready, well at least you're well enough to make one now. This could foreseeably happen again, there have been cases of reinfection, so it's not wasted effort.

Of course it's not your fault you've got COVID, but now you have it is your responsibility to self isolate to try and stop the spread.

Winters100

Visit site
What a terribly worrying situation for you OP. I wish you a speedy recovery. In my opinion the best thing you could do would be to arrange someone (temporary groom or one of the liveries) to give basic care to your horses, and then stay inside.

You can't really treat the yard as just part of your home as it is also a business, and anyway the rules on isolating from home are that there must be no visitors. Taking time to rest is also likely to help you, and as long as they get food, water and a bit of paddock time your horses will be just fine. If beds are not cleaned to perfection it won't hurt them for a short period. The other alternative is for you to do all the liveries horses, but if I was a livery I would not be very happy for someone with a serious illness to be sole carer for my animals. Better to put your feet up and concentrate on getter. Good luck.

ROG

Visit site
I had a pretty mild case back in March.
Not going to lie, I'm really scared of getting covid again. I think their is a very real possibility of me ending up in hospital this time.
Medics have stated that IF, and its a big IF, a person gets covid a second time then the memory system in the body will kick in and in the worst case they may get it for 1 or 2 days without symptoms
The memory system is not the same as having active antibodies so do not get the two confused
Memory system works the same for other things such as measles etc where the original strain has not mutated

I will try and find a link to that unless another member finds it first
Found one of them = https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52446965

Last edited:

Reri1826

Visit site
I’m a bit shocked by the suggestion that the footpath needs closing to be honest.

I think either OP needs to stay in the house, or others need banning from the spaces she will use for her isolation period.

If DIY blocks and fields are separate, with no joint gateways etc or shared taps then they can carry on if OP stays away.

I’m struggling to see how a public footpath is an issue.

bonny

Visit site
I’m a bit shocked by the suggestion that the footpath needs closing to be honest.

I think either OP needs to stay in the house, or others need banning from the spaces she will use for her isolation period.

If DIY blocks and fields are separate, with no joint gateways etc or shared taps then they can carry on if OP stays away.

I’m struggling to see how a public footpath is an issue.
Didn’t you know that if you walk within a 100 feet of a house containing a person with a positive test you will catch the virus and probably die !

Lammy

Visit site
Didn’t you know that if you walk within a 100 feet of a house containing a person with a positive test you will catch the virus and probably die !

Haha yeah great joke except OP had already mentioned shared feed and tack areas in her first post so it’s not quite as simple as you’re making it out to be.

If my y/o had Covid and was on the yard caring for her horses and using shared areas I’d be livid. My grandad has sadly died from Covid and I don’t fancy loosing any other relatives to it.

OP either hire someone to come and take care of the horses because just saying you have nobody to do them is just not good enough frankly. Or get the liveries to help. Or at absolute minimum, close the yard to everyone for 12 days, with you having sole charge of the animals. which gives you time to recover and also give everything a deep clean before anyone else returns. To allow mixing on the yard is completely irresponsible and you could be putting someone in danger.

TPO

Visit site
OP I hope that you are feeling better soon.

As someone else has said either you have to stop going onto the yard or others have to stop coming onto it.

So all the DIY go onto full and you do everything alone. After the isolation period everything will need a deep clean/sanitised before DIYs come back.

Or either you call in favors and DIYs do your horses and you stay within you house with shopping delivered.

I would suggest that regardless of what option you choose you make a back up plan in case your illness worsens or in case any other number of random things happen in the future that mean you cant tend to the horses. Life happens ?

I would imagine that the liveries all need tested having come into your space prior to your positive result.

I know someone who's had covid and was on a ventilator for 7wks, they thought he was going to die but hes recovered enough to get home. He was healthy prior to covid. If I were you I'd stay in the house and somehow arrange for cover because you really dont want to risk being run down when you.have covid even if you feel ok just now

Upthecreek

Visit site

You’re hilarious ? If the footpath literally goes through the yard as OP said and she is intending to be out on the yard, then yes she should contact the council and it should be closed. I expect the council would probably instruct her not to leave her house/garden instead though.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
You cannot close a footpath because the landowner has Covid, it's illegal to do this. You can ask people to divert or not go through, but you are not allowed to close it. Someone I know got into trouble for this.
The landowner should simply not be going anywhere near the footpath.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You cannot close a footpath because the landowner has Covid, it's illegal to do this. You can ask people to divert or not go through, but you are not allowed to close it. Someone I know got into trouble for this.
The landowner should simply not be going anywhere near the footpath.

Exactly , however a well placed polite sign would probably do the job .
They have not closed down the block of flat where my brother lives ( he’s self isolating with no symptoms ) he simply is not allowed over his threshold .

stormox

Visit site
I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks they can just carry on as normal after testing positive for covid after all the warnings we have had. If it was a case of a horse testing positive for strangles even though it didnt show symptoms I am sure any good livery yard owner would immediately place it in quarantine.
Covid is worse, far worse.
Self isolation and quarantine are the only way we have to slow the spread and prevent another total lockdown.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Do some of you think pavements should close if they pass the house of a positive tested person ? I’m beginning to think the Uk is collectively going mad.

Don’t be ridiculous! The point is not people passing the house where a positive tested person lives, it is the positive tested person being out on the yard where the footpath is, which OP said she intended to do to care for her horses. You really should read people’s comments properly before commenting.

bonny

Visit site
Don’t be ridiculous! The point is not people passing the house where a positive tested person lives, it is the positive tested person being out on the yard where the footpath is, which OP said she intended to do to care for her horses. You really should read people’s comments properly before commenting.
I did read the comments and I did read people saying the footpath should be closed !

Winters100

Visit site
Do the authorities not check upon quarantined people in the UK? Where I am it is monitored via an app and by random visits from the police, earlier in the year they were also using the military for this. We had a mandatory quarantine after my partner was exposed to someone who tested positive at work, and had they found us not at home (we had to show ourselves in the window), or if there had been evidence of anyone else on the property, then we would have received steep fines and anyone else there would also have received a mandatory quarantine.

The yard where I keep the horses has a plan in place in case any staff test positive. The person will be isolated in their apartment and food delivered outside the door. The remaining staff will remain to care for the horses, with strict distancing measures and segregation of areas of the yard / equipment, but the yard will be closed to liveries until everyone on site receives 2 consecutive negative tests. We are hoping that it doesn't happen, but I would understand that these measures are necessary should this occur.