He's Giving Up and I'm so Angry With Him

RutlandH2O

Visit site
OP, you have my heartfelt sympathy for your situation. You have gotten some excellent advice. The suggestion to feed fenugreek is very constructive, seeing as research has shown that the two most favoured flavours to horses are fenugreek and banana. The former comes in powder form, and the latter you can obtain almost anywhere. ReadiGrass is a beneficial fibre source, but must be fed wet to avoid choke (it's easily aspirated dry).

I may have missed this, but has your boy been scoped for ulcers? Has there been any discussion with the vet about this? The reason I ask is if he has ulcers, offering willow might be contraindicated because aspirin is derived from willow and can actually exacerbate ulcers and compromise the lining of the stomach. Just a thought.

ozpoz

Visit site
I second Wagtails idea of readigrass soaked in hot water ( cool it before feeding though!)
Also verge grazing in hand ,if you have nice verges, and gorse hanging up in his stable is a favourite old tip for encouraging appetite. Milk thistles are good for the liver, mine get very interested when they see me weeding the garden:)

I hope he picks up soon.

babymare

Visit site
I have nothing to add but only to say please please dont be hard on self for "losing it" frustration, stress,despair will make you react sometimes cause you love your boy and it hurts like crazy seeing him as he is. so put that behind you and focus on him. i feel for you so much hun and hope with all my heart he turns the corner to getting well. x x x

TarrSteps

Visit site
Another thing I've done for convalescent horses is pick them dandelions. Obviously you have to avoid ones that have been sprayed but if you can source some from a common they should be fine.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Sorry, posted too soon!

Willow can be useful because it is an NSAID, just be careful if you suspect he might have ulcers. It might be a plan just to take him out in hand, if you can, and let him pick around a few hedgerows and other wrist wilder areas. You can also offer him various options in different piles. Have you been in touch with Silver Lining Herbs? I've not used them personally but have used a similar company successfully in the past and have heard good things about them. Worth a conversation if you're not getting anywhere with more conventional options.

Also, I know it's very hard but, if you can, try not to stress around him. He doesn't know that he's the thing that's stressing you out and horses can be very sensitive to these things.

Good luck!

Fools Motto

Visit site
I can not add anymore tips to this thread for your poor horse. But what I just want to say is,
Isn't the wealth of people's experience amazing? I find it truly humbling that so many 'strangers' leap in to help with any way possible. And what a hugely informative read. I sincerely hope that among these ideas something will trigger him to recover.

I'm thinking of you, and wishing your horse a very speedy recovery.

littlemare_

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this, please do not be angry with yourself.. Your only trying your best. I'm sorry I have no advice but I couldn't ignore..
I wish both you and your boy all the best, I hope he picks up soon xx

pootleperkin

Visit site
Hi OP, what are his symptoms? Don't think I have missed them skimming through the posts, apologies if so, but if we know them all it might help. It does kind of sound like EGS from what you say.....

If you can bear to syringe feed him, do - it saved my horse when he was skin and bone with EGS. As another poster said, lots of veggie oil, plus I soaked high protein cubes (racehorse cubes, Baileys no.4) in hot water then added the oil and syringed in (100 ml syringe with tip cut off - just suck the oily food up in it). Horse was tied up super tight and head lifted just above horizontal to help swallow it down. He really didn't want to take feeds in this way, but I'm afraid I made him! We ended up giving 4 feeds a day, to give a total of around 4 - 5 kilos of food. It took around 20 - 30 mins for each feed - it's not for the fainthearted this nursing do.

Horses do love willow and it will act as a painkiller being anti inflammatory - as I'm sure you know, it's aspirin in essence. Cow parsley used to tempt my boy too and carrots.

Don't worry about losing your rag - I hate to think the number of times I wanted to cover G in his b******n food that he wouldn't b******m touch!!!! It's so frustrating that they won't help themselves. I think when I was weaning him off the syringe, a spoonful or two ended up on the stable wall a couple of times!!

Don't you give up, whatever you do - doing everything you can makes a huge difference. xx

Maximoose

Visit site
Again nothing helpful to add but hoping some of the suggestions will work and he makes a speedy recovery.

I occasionally get upset with mine when he’s ill, I’m sure most people do at times. It’s particularly hard when you don’t know what’s wrong – at least if they are lame you have a starting point. You do everything you can to help but they don’t always cooperate and/or realise it’s for their own good.

Here’s hoping some of his previous fighting spirit will soon materialise. In the mean time I'm sure you have enough for both of you.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I have nothing to add to the amazing help/advice you have already been given but you and your boy are in my thoughts.
I can relate to the anger you are feeling when you are trying to help them but you feel like they are giving up....dont give yourself a hard time, you are doing all you can xxxxx

Mike007

Visit site
They see plenty of grass sickness at Liphook and are very unlikely to fail to reccognise it. I gather that he is on haylage. I have a great mistrust of the stuff for horses particularly where ulcers may be a possibility. If you cant find any really top class hay pm me .

catembi

Visit site
My horse Catembi (in avatar) died of protein-losing enteropathy. Basically inflamed guts & the most awful diarrhoea. He lost 200kg.

There were so many ups & downs with him & I tried (like you) so hard to get him to eat. I got so frustrated with him one day that I told him I didn't love him any more. I haven't told anyone til now that I said that to him & I really, really hope that he didn't understand. I desperately wanted him to get better, and it just felt that he wasn't trying. I really do understand how awful it is when you just can't help & how you can have an outburst that you regret.

Please forgive yourself. Everything crossed that he gets better.

T x

Echo Bravo

Visit site
The thing with animals is they can't tell you where it hurts and you do get upset because you can't wave a wand and make them better. So just make sure he has a nice deep bed to lie on as sometimes the fact they can lie down and snuggle helps them relax, plenty of water as if they wont eat they will drink and sometimes a little of what they enjoy to eat can get them eating again and the best of luck to you both.

PercyMum

Visit site
Thank you all for your words of advice and support. I am going to print off this thread and go through all he suggestions. I did get loads of Cleavers and Hawthorn down him earlier and he was out lightly grazing until 8. He had a little bit of haylage too although still only sipping at water. I tried Baileys Meadowsweet (full of all the things you shouldn't feed your horse but it's supposed to be yummy). He ate some, thought I'd cracked it but refusing to eat again.

If nothing by tomorrow I'll move onto syringing. Although I had to syringe his meds in tonight and he panicked, ran backwards, fell over his own legs then reared up. So not great for keeping him stress free.

Its terrible to see him like this but I think what some of you guys have been through sounds truly awful. I hope I can turn him around before he gets to that point but if he does get that bad, I hope I have the strength you guys have had.

Thank you all so much. I'll keep you all updated xxx

meandmyself

Visit site
How about some herbs? Watermelon? (horses can eat the entire thing.) I think you'll just have to keep putting things in front of him to see what he'll take.

Has his mouth/jaw been checked? Just wondering if there's something wrong there that's making it hard for him to eat.

A friend of mine swears by blue chip pro. http://www.bluechipfeed.com/feed-balancer-pro/

pardalis

Visit site
My heart is breaking for you and I feel your frustration.
I hope he picks up. I can't offer any better advice than what has already been posted. Just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and I hope he recovers

crabbymare

Visit site
If there are no convenient willow trees another that some like is silver birch so you may be able to trim some shoots from one of those to try him with. nothing else I can add to the great advice you have already had and I really hope he pulls through for you

PingPongPony

Visit site
I don't have any more ideas than what you have been offered here, but I didn't want to read and not let you know that we're all here for you, and I am thinking of you and your boy. Sending loads of healing vibes towards him, and keeping my fingers x'd for him (also giving him a small kick up the arse and telling him to get on with getting better :p )
Lots of hugs and healing vibes going your way :)

Girlracer

Visit site
Is he all up to date with his tetanus?

Only my old mare died of tetanus (I was 10 or 11) and our close family friends who we bought her off told us she was up to date.

It stemmed from a tiny but on her leg and her symptoms were similar to what you describe.

So sorry to hear what your going through, I really hope things pick up.

Mike007

Visit site
Percys mum , sorry to keep banging on about hay but I am prepared to put my money where my mouth is. I have some hay in stock at the moment that is probably the best anyone made last year. I will open a bale and give you a few sections (it is a big bale :) not a conventional bale). It is yours for free , all you have to do is collect it . I am in surrey so not ridiculously far away. I think it is well worth the try . PM me. Every horse that has been offerd it has wolfed it down and the owners have had to drasticly reduce hard feed.

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
OP some great advice on here. Just wanted to send great big squishy hugs & to say don't be so hard on yourself. Give your horse a cuddle & kiss. It's hardI enough when they are ill & frustrating when they won't eat. My horse went off his food & vet gave me a probiotic & vitamin paste that you had to syringe in to try. It did perk him up although he wasn't as ill as your boy it's worth a try. xx

Fransurrey

Visit site
Everything crossed for him, PM.

On a side note, if you do take up Mike's offer, I have an open bale of dry haylage you're welcome to try. I can coordinate with Mike for collection (so it's only the one collection point) - I'm Dorking way. x

MizzPurpleKitten

Visit site
Firstly, Huge Hugs from me, you sound like you need them. I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this, I know from experience it's awful!

That being said, I wanted to offer you some hope as my boy pulled through. To this day we don't know what caused it, but he went from a perfectly happy and healthy horse bucking and bronking to an equine skeleton struggling to muster the energy to walk in a matter of days. The vets gave us steroids, anti biotics, bute and basically anything they could think of.....I suppose just so that we were doing something.

He wouldn't eat, at all. I bought a huge syringe and a worming bit and fed him through that....Allen & Page Calm & Condition, a liquid supplement called Haemolytan which is a blood supplement mainly, sugar and apple sauce all blended together. It was damn hard work and at times he hated me for it, but it was worthwhile as he slowly started to pick up, after a week and a bit he started to eat again so we reduced the syringing.

I continued to inject him with anti biotics from the vets for 2 weeks.....I don't know why really as we never did find a conclusive cause but it made me feel like I was doing something constructive.

By the end of week 3 he had picked up tremendously. He still looked like a hat rack but he was eating and drinking and had more energy.......he was with me for almost another 2 years after that (I lost him to something totally unrelated).

I totally understand your frustration, I did the same more than once during the struggle with my boy, he had always been a fighter and he too seemed to be giving in and I wasn't going to let him do that! Remember you're only human and sometimes your emotions will get the better of you, don't beat yourself up about it, just try to focus all your energy and anger into finding a solution, that's what I did and for us it worked......I do so hope it does for you and your boy too!

Holly Hocks

Visit site
OP - just read all through this thread. I really feel for you. How is he today?

There are some amazing suggestions on here - things I would never have even thought of, and Mike007 has made a very kind offer which is worth taking up.

Try adding some honey to the feed - it's the only thing I can ever get my TB to eat meds in when she's on them.

Good luck and do update us all soon. xx