How much is 'Meat' money?

3Beasties

Visit site
What sort of price would you expect to get for a 16hh, reasonably well covered heavy TB type?

I guess roughly a weight of around 550kg?

Thanks

scrunchie

Visit site
Don't forget that you only get paid for meat not bones so you have to exclude the weight of those from you calculations. Plus things like intestines and lungs. I don't know if heart and livers etc are used.

I've been told it's about 80p a kilo.

BigRed

Visit site
what a sad post. why are you asking ? If a horse needs to be put down and cost is an issue, I am sure your local hunt would do it, and they are really very cheap. Much cheaper than your vet and a cremation.

scrunchie

Visit site
what a sad post. why are you asking ? If a horse needs to be put down and cost is an issue, I am sure your local hunt would do it, and they are really very cheap. Much cheaper than your vet and a cremation.

As long as the death is quick and painless, it won't make much difference to the horse whether it's a huntsman, a vet or a slaughterman that does the job.

Changes

Visit site
Approx 60% of liveweight is paid out on.

550 kg horse would be 330kg paid.

Current median French prices for riding/TB/sports horses last week was between 2.50€ (top quality) and 2.05€ (good quality) per kilo.

(Heavy horses price was 1.56€ per kilo.)

So you'd get approx 650€ in France. No reason not to get that equivalent in sterling as the carcass will be sent abroad anyway, but I don't know what the UK rates are. There aren't publicised weekly figures, AFAIK. Would like to know if there are any, but under UK regs, the horse isn't considered a meat animal, so I doubt it.

If you, or someone you know is considering it - go with the horse and make sure that the horse is slaughtered in the UK. The abattoirs are shipping out UK horses live to mainland Europe.

BigRed

Visit site
My point is, not what happens to it's body... but I always though the knackermen wanted to take a live horse back to their yard in order to shoot it and pay you for the flesh money. Maybe I am wrong and they can do it on your premises. I think it's a bit sad to send a horse off like that.

I don't question whether people have the vet or the hunt. I just think it's decent to have it done at the horses home.

charlie76

Visit site
correct, they take them live in a trailer to the slaughterhouse, they cannot do it on your premisies for fear of contamination.

scrunchie

Visit site
correct, they take them live in a trailer to the slaughterhouse, they cannot do it on your premisies for fear of contamination.

But owners can go with the horse to comfort it. It's up to them whether they are present for the actual slaughter though.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My point is, not what happens to it's body... but I always though the knackermen wanted to take a live horse back to their yard in order to shoot it and pay you for the flesh money. Maybe I am wrong and they can do it on your premises. I think it's a bit sad to send a horse off like that.

I don't question whether people have the vet or the hunt. I just think it's decent to have it done at the horses home.

Completely agree.

Changes

Visit site
Only abattoirs can slaughter for human consumption, so knackermen shoot them on the property. The meat can still be used for zoos or rendered, or whatever, even if the horse is transported dead to the premises.

Kenzo

Visit site
I had this conversation with someone and they told me (they did quote figures per kilo/dead weight me but I can't remember correctly to pass on) but put it this way, I was told you could buy enough cheap unwanted TB's (enough to fill a lorry), fatten them up through summer for a short period, Potters would collect(from Yorkshire) and you'd make money, more than what you would buying and producing on.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
how sad, not that the OP has asked but that you all assume they're about to send horse off to slaughter:( could it not also be that they have been told to offer meat money for a horse and they're trying to work out how much that is, or that they've been offered meat money for their horse and are trying to work out if they've been offered a fair amount!!
People are always being told to offer 'meat money' for older or poor horses but how many of us really know how much that is?? i certainly wouldn't!

Magicmillbrook

Visit site

I agree too. We didnt have our girl done by the knacker man because I have been to his place too many times with work and couldnt bear the thought of her stacked up waiting to be rendered. Silly realy because the only important bit is having a relaxed, painless death.

Kenzo

Visit site
how sad, not that the OP has asked but that you all assume they're about to send horse off to slaughter:( could it not also be that they have been told to offer meat money for a horse and they're trying to work out how much that is, or that they've been offered meat money for their horse and are trying to work out if they've been offered a fair amount!!
People are always being told to offer 'meat money' for older or poor horses but how many of us really know how much that is?? i certainly wouldn't!

Nope, I didn't assume that at all, I was just giving the OP some feed back on what someone had told me who had looked into it, but it was the year before last so presume the price per kilo will have changed by now.

scrunchie

Visit site
I had this conversation with someone and they told me (they did quote figures per kilo/dead weight me but I can't remember correctly to pass on) but put it this way, I was told you could buy enough cheap unwanted TB's (enough to fill a lorry), fatten them up through summer for a short period, Potters would collect(from Yorkshire) and you'd make money, more than what you would buying and producing on.

But they all need to have passports and have that bit at the back where it says "This animal is unfit for human consumption" (or similar) left unsigned. Any unpassported horses over the age of 6 months automatically have this section signed by the passport agencies as they don't know what drugs the horse has given.

I know this because I queried it with the BHS when Dooney's passport came back with this section signed. Not that I'm planning on sending him for slaughter. I was just slightly narked that somebody had made that decision for me because at the time I thought it might have been a do-gooder in the office!

monkeybum13

Visit site

A lot of people take their horses to the vets to be PTS, do you disagree with this too then?

BigRed

Visit site
I cannot think of a single person I know, that has taken a horse to the vet premises, specifically for it to be pts. There are not many regular horse vets who have premises where customers can actually take their horses for treatment. Mine doesn't.

Plenty of horses get pts at horse hospital. I have had one of my own horses pts at Liphook. I would have preferred her to go "at home" under controlled circumstances, but sadly, she was ill and could not be moved, so obviously she was dealt with by Liphook.

Two other horses were pts at home, by the hunt at a very low cost.

We all have personal choices, I have no idea what prompted this initial post, but I stand by my statement that I think it is kinder to have a horse pts in familiar circumstances where possible. I appreciate we all have different opinions on this.