How much is 'Meat' money?

Visit site
exported to where, tailand china etc? must admit i like a good steak but dont think i would eat horse thanks. suppose places like china etc eat dogs though. errr not a pleasant thought being as i like dogs too! :p ;) :D

yasminA

Visit site
We all have personal choices, I have no idea what prompted this initial post, but I stand by my statement that I think it is kinder to have a horse pts in familiar circumstances where possible. I appreciate we all have different opinions on this.

Completely agree

TheMule

Visit site
I don't question whether people have the vet or the hunt. I just think it's decent to have it done at the horses home.

But thats like saying its wrong to travel a horse to a competition.
It's applying human sentiment to an animal situation

SamanthaUK

Visit site
How could you watch your horse being shot though. I understand that if they have to be slaughtered it's nice for them to spend their last moments with someone they know but how do you face it? If it was me, which it never would be, I wouldn't be able to go into the slaughterhouse let alone the actual killing room.

My opinion really though!

Lady La La

Visit site
How could you watch your horse being shot though.

When my girl hurt herself, I had a 4 hour wait between vets visits to see if she was going to improve. I spent that 4 hours sat by her stable googling videos of horses being shot and horses being injected. It sounds mental, I know but actually there are some very helpful and informative videos out there, and I made my mind up quite easily that she was going to be shot when the vet came back.
As it happens because of her head injury that wasn't an option so she had to be euthanised. It wasn't a horrible death by any means, but she did take some time to die. I would chose a bullet, should I ever have to again.

Luci07

Visit site
My personal choice would not be to send one of my horses away for slaughter. Maybe it's an old wifes tale, but I had always thought they would pick up on the blood etc and be more distressed. When a horse had to be put down in the entrance of the ménage where I was at at the time, we had a real problem getting horses to get past it

SamanthaUK

Visit site
I couldn't even consider the bullet personally. It would upset me too much. I have had three PTS by injection. This video is typical of how peaceful it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqyF4E019uI (not one of mine I have to add, but mine went just as peacefully). **WARNING** this video shows actual euthanasia.

I watched it and I didn't cry i'm so suprised.
That was really gentle and peaceful. Bless that mare. I would choose pts rather than slaughter!

tonitot

Visit site
I watched the video, it did look peaceful but when the time comes for Ethel I think I'd have to choose the bullet. She hates injections, will rear, spock out and generally just stress out. When being sedated for her teeth she was a nightmare, so unless she is okay with needles by then I'd have to have her shot. I also couldn't be with her, would spend lots of time with her before hand feeding her loads if treats and giving her loads of fuss and then when it's time I'd give her to someone I trust. I know that sounds mean but I dont want my last memory of my horse to be one of her being shot and falling to the floor dead. It would haunt me forever :(

Goldenstar

Visit site
I had my first horse put downbeat by injection dreadful terrible she fought and fought to stay on her feet and yelled as she went down never again.
I have them all shot I had my hunter shot last week he was a little head shy and it was windy so he has a little sedation I lead him round the corner stood behind the vet talked to him told how clever he was and that was that , hard for me easy for him the way it should be,

rhino

Visit site
But for a headshy horse for example, shooting would be more stressful than an injection. It's a matter of knowing the horse and making the best choice for them.

This. Sometimes in 'emergency' situations the horses are adrenalised and injections can be a nightmare and take a longer than usual time to work. Similarly if the horse's system is beginning to shut down. The video that Wagtail posted is an 'ideal' injection scenario but it doesn't always happen that way.

It really does depend on the circumstances and the owner's feelings.

Camel_toe_girl: no I wouldn't eat horse, but I don't eat meat and haven't in a very long time :) I have no issue with it though.

scrunchie

Visit site
I'd always go for the bullet.

I witnessed a pony being PTS by injection on a yard where I was a student at. The amount of blood was horrendous. Ialways thought the injection would be less messy but it wasn't.

He was an elderly pony who could no longer stand up. I've no idea why it was so messy. I can only assume that as his internal organs packed in the blood found it's way out.

I've also heard that the horse can actually be concious for a lot longer with the injection but unable to move because it's body is dead/dying. I'm not sure if that's just an internet rumour though.

mightymammoth

Visit site
This. Sometimes in 'emergency' situations the horses are adrenalised and injections can be a nightmare and take a longer than usual time to work. Similarly if the horse's system is beginning to shut down. The video that Wagtail posted is an 'ideal' injection scenario but it doesn't always happen that way.

It really does depend on the circumstances and the owner's feelings.

Camel_toe_girl: no I wouldn't eat horse, but I don't eat meat and haven't in a very long time :) I have no issue with it though.

Ahh a fellow veggie glad there is a few of us on here :D:D:D

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
My horse was injected, she was already down and heavily sedated - very peaceful ending, I couldnt travel my horse to be put down as I would be so upset I would be a danger on the road.

scrunchie

Visit site
hmmmm, they can keep their ideas thank you! :eek: have you? would you?:confused:

There's a thread on here somewhere where we are discussing whether we could eat it or not. Apparently it tastes like sweet beef. Might be alright in a lasagna or casserole. Can't imagine I'd like it as a steak.

I would eat it. I have no qualms eating anything.

bumblelion

Visit site
I like the idea of the injection, much nicer for me to witness as I would have to be there holding them. However, my tb fights sedation so I know the best thing for him would be to be shot. Are vets as competent at shooting them as say the hunt? I'd want them to be cremated when the time comes and want them doing at home.

dunkley

Visit site
I would choose pts rather than slaughter!

SUK - slaughter is pts! The horse ends up dead, no difference. Slaughter is simply a term used when something is going to be used for meat. There are , of course, different methods of putting down a horse, generally bullet or needle. It is pretty widely acknowledged that the bullet is kinder for the horse, and the needle kinder for the owner.

I had my first horse put downbeat by injection dreadful terrible she fought and fought to stay on her feet and yelled as she went down never again.
I have them all shot I had my hunter shot last week he was a little head shy and it was windy so he has a little sedation I lead him round the corner stood behind the vet talked to him told how clever he was and that was that , hard for me easy for him the way it should be,

GS - hugs to you. You have experienced both methods, and are far better qualified than most of us to express an opinion.

zoelouisem

Visit site
I've just watched that video and have to say of the 5 horses I've seen injected they did not got like that it was horrific fought really bad, the 5th was already down so wasn't to bad. I would always choose bullet over injection due to my experiences.

cptrayes

Visit site
The video is the absolute best case. But did anyone wonder why the ropes on it were so long? That's in case the adrenalin takes over and it goes crazy. It's very rare, but it does happen.

I held one for a friend a couple of months ago, while the vet gave it a lethal injection. It did not stop blinking its eyes for five minutes, it was absolutely horrible to see. At least when they twitch their legs when they are shot you know that their brain is not still active. In this case, it looked for all the world as if the brain was still active and the horse knew what was going on, but was paralysed.

I always have mine shot, and I asked the vet this time what he would do if the horse was his (out of earshot of my friend, of course) and he said he would go for a gun every time.

SamanthaUK

Visit site
SUK - slaughter is pts! The horse ends up dead, no difference. Slaughter is simply a term used when something is going to be used for meat. There are , of course, different methods of putting down a horse, generally bullet or needle. It is pretty widely acknowledged that the bullet is kinder for the horse, and the needle kinder for the owner.

Yes I know what it means.. :D

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I've just watched that video and have to say of the 5 horses I've seen injected they did not got like that it was horrific fought really bad, the 5th was already down so wasn't to bad. I would always choose bullet over injection due to my experiences.

I think you need to get a new vet!

zoelouisem

Visit site
I don't need to get a new vet!! I work with horses have done for years, and over the years that's what I've seen with different vets. I've also see horses shot and although not nessary the nicest thing to watch is a lot quicker. I do have to say I haven't seen a horse injected for a good few years so it may be better .