How much is 'Meat' money?

Fii

Visit site
I would chose injection, as have had positive experiences with this - easy and quick and peaceful.

Sometimes, sometimes not!
A friend told me one of hers fought the injection, vet gave it enough to kill four Shires, it wouldnt go down, vet had to go back to office to get more, takes about an hour round trip!

Our shire was already down when he had the injection, and it WAS quick and peacefull.
I have had one go to Potters as well. It all depends on the horse and the circumstances!

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
Ok here's a thought I've just had from reading this thread...if you have your horse shot by the hunt they will use the meat and you'll need to pay to have this done - why not take it to potters or similar where the meat is still used but you get the money? Please don't shoot me down for saying it as I'm a newbie and its only just occured to me :) having said that, I don't think I could do that - not brave enough! Had my last mare pre by injection and didn't witness it so can't comment! Did however used to be an equine nurse so have witnessed both ways lots of times and have to say bullet seems better for the horse but my mare was very head shy so injection was better for her.

Tormenta

Visit site
Sorry Wagtail I dont agree with you, vets are not putting horses to sleep every day, a slaughterman does. I know which way I would do it.............. a bullet at home by a pofessional slaughterman.

I don't agree with that old potato! To an extent, yes the knacker is experienced in putting down stock but he doesn't come out of the lorry armed with a syringe and drugs does he? So he probably does have more experience in his own 'field'. A Vet, however, will ALWAYS have more experience in administrating drugs than a knackerman and I DON'T want this turned into a gun or injection debate or whatever but having recently had one of my animals put to sleep, the lovely young vet informed me that he had done nothing but put animals to sleep for the last three weeks, 3/4 every day, cattle, sheep, horses etc. And he kindly told me that it isn't something you ever get used to because each situation is different but he is satisfied when he leaves each one that he has done his best for that animal.

I dislke hearing about the put downs that Vets get at times, mine do an exceptional and thorough job!

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I had my horse PTS in October last year. He always responded very well to sedation - to the point where he would snore, loudly! He was heavily sedated and when given the Somulose went down immediately. It is the way that I would choose with any horse of mine, unless it was one which didn't respond to sedation.
I understand there are horror stories - there are horror stories about bullets not hitting the right spot, bullets missing completely, horses going crazy with the injection - but it's important to remember that we only really hear the horror stories. People like to sensationalise things and we need to know that 99% of the time, everything goes quietly and smoothly.
As for the person who said they had seen 5 horses PTS with injection and they had all gone wrong, I'm afraid that I agree with the person who said you need another vet!

3Beasties

Visit site
how sad, not that the OP has asked but that you all assume they're about to send horse off to slaughter:( could it not also be that they have been told to offer meat money for a horse and they're trying to work out how much that is, or that they've been offered meat money for their horse and are trying to work out if they've been offered a fair amount!!
People are always being told to offer 'meat money' for older or poor horses but how many of us really know how much that is?? i certainly wouldn't!

Thanks IB, you are indeed spot on!

Didn't mean it to turn into such a depressingly morbid thread :eek:

Always Henesy

Visit site
When I was 17 I was involved in a freak accident with my TB that resulted in him severing a leg after a fall. It was on a bridleway in the days before mobile phones. Luckily my friend was riding with me and galloped to the next village to find a phone box. She rang the police, they got an emergency vet, the vet came out to the bridleway and shot my horse. The vet told me to walk away...so I did. Only to turn round as he was shot and see him go down. He twitched violently for a long time. I remember the vet picking me up off the floor as I had sunk to my knees in the mud screaming. To say that it traumatised me is understatement of the century. That was 20 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. RIP Dillon x
In August last year I had my beloved best pal Henesy pts by lethal injection. He was sedated first. He fell to the floor with my vet protecting his head as he went down. It was very quick and very peaceful. My vet was stroking him and soothing him the whole time and showed so much compassion to me and my lad. He died in his field with the sun on his back and the human who loved him so much. I lay with him in the field for a long time and only left just before the hunt came to pick him up. It was a dignified end for him and I would choose injection over shooting every time.
God rest your soul Henesy xx

superted1989

Visit site
I've always preferred to have horses shot and have stayed with my own and other people's. When I was just a teenager, I managed to see a PTS by injection go badly and it put me off. However, I promised a good friend I would stay with her elderly mare when it was her time but she chose injection. I was dreading it, but, the vet said it has changed since the '80s. In the end, it was very peaceful and very easy, the mare fell asleep, then slipped away.
With Ted (prior to the mare's injected PTS), I was having him buried at the yard, so, lethal shot was the only option. When Markie's time comes I shall be in a quandary, injection seems more appealing having witnessed a 'good' one. Also, our local knackerman has just retired and he was brilliant. We don't have a slaughterhouse here, and it would cost too much to get to one, so, thankfully, it's never been an option. Instead of valuing for 'meat money' here, it more likely to think aboout how much the cheapest PTS is, plus the cremation cost (currently about £400 cheapest). Last I heard, even the zoo isn't taking dead stock

Trinity Fox

Visit site
I would only ever have a horse pts at home there is nothing that would convince me to do anything else, I have only ever had them shot by the hunt have had two shot with a humane killer by a slaughter man who lives next to us when in an emergancy we couldnt get hunt or vet quickly enough.

I cant argue on the injection as have never seen it but making your old friend travel to a slaughterhouse for the pathetic amount you get in my opinion is unforgivable and something I would never do.

ginger76

Visit site
i had mine pts at home by injection. i felt it only fair i stayed with him until he went down as he knew me and i didnt want him being left with someone he didnt know. he was sedated and went down very quietly and was gone before he hit the floor, he didnt twitch at all, my lovely husband then stayed while he was taken away as i didnt want to see him being dragged by chains into the back of a lorry, would go for this option again if i had a choice and i would always stay with them in their final moments however hard as i owe them that much

brigantia

Visit site
I cant argue on the injection as have never seen it but making your old friend travel to a slaughterhouse for the pathetic amount you get in my opinion is unforgivable and something I would never do.

I totally agree with this.

Horses know what abbatoirs are. There's a local one off a bridle path we hack out on. The horses *always* get disturbed and agitated when they have to go past it.

Avonbrook

www.avonbrookstud.co.uk
Thanks IB, you are indeed spot on!

Didn't mean it to turn into such a depressingly morbid thread :eek:

I needed the information for this reason and rang Potters. Either they or Turners would be able to give you a decent estimate based on the horse's size and build to use as your valuation. The man I spoke to was very helpful and I got the impression that he was well used to dealing with enquiries for that purpose.

M_G

Visit site
Sorry Wagtail I dont agree with you, vets are not putting horses to sleep every day, a slaughterman does. I know which way I would do it.............. a bullet at home by a pofessional slaughterman.

I am with you on this & would have hunt or knacker out to do the job as they do it pretty much every day of the week....Vets PTS rarely

M_G

Visit site
I needed the information for this reason and rang Potters. Either they or Turners would be able to give you a decent estimate based on the horse's size and build to use as your valuation. The man I spoke to was very helpful and I got the impression that he was well used to dealing with enquiries for that purpose.

How much did he estimate?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I say off hand how many my vet has shot for me put it will be into double figures and it's always been very professional and having the vet do it means if (as my boy last week did ) they need a bit of sedation they can have it that's why I use the vet not the huntsman who would also do an excellent job I am sure.
I have a ritual to how I cope with this and I always do it the same way as its always been ok for them. I learnt from the first one who the vet at that time preferred to inject I did not do my home work well and had a nasty experiance at the end I knew my mare did not have as quick an end as she could have.
Its not a nice subject but if you are a keeper like me ie you don't bring horses on and sell them it's something you will face at some point and you need a plan .

LaurenB

Visit site
I would go for being shot. My friends horse was kicked in field, broke its leg, vet came administered injection, checked horse and left, tractor came to drag the horse from field, only then it was found to still be alive and tried to get back up, vet took another hour to return and the poor girl at the time was 14!!!!

Luci07

Visit site
You can't be prescriptive. First of you should check with your vet - some have strong feelings and will not offer a choice. From my personal experience I would not to choose to inject a fit horse that had suffered a trauma. A combination of pain and adrenalin will mean they will fight the sedation. Another horse who is physically less well in itself and feeling so ill would probably go quite easily. I have seen both. Both worked correctly but also, having seen first hand how my old horse fought being sedated for his colic surgery I would always consider the best option for my horse. Have no feelings about hunt, knackerman or vet but am anti sending a horse away for slaughter. My personal choice would be at home and cremated ( shared). Just one thing for anyone who has not been through this. Do not under estimate the impact on yourself. You may well think you are doing the best thing by staying to the very end, but trust me, going to pieces does not help your horse. I put my hand up and admit my vet had to send me away as I was distressing my horse. I had always thought I would be strong. On the day it happened I fell apart.

charlie76

Visit site
I have held lots of horses to be PTS, most by lethal injection. I have never seen one have an adverse effect, fight it or other wise, no matter what the reason for destruction- broken legs, colic, impaled on a fence, AM, or simply old age or lameness.
I have also seen horse shot, again, no problems.
The only difference is the injected ones are sedated first so they tend to just drop slowly and the ones that are shot have more reflexes after its done so they tend to scramble about a bit with their legs once down as they shut down.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I would go for being shot. My friends horse was kicked in field, broke its leg, vet came administered injection, checked horse and left, tractor came to drag the horse from field, only then it was found to still be alive and tried to get back up, vet took another hour to return and the poor girl at the time was 14!!!!

This can also happen with the bullet. :(

forestfantasy

Visit site
I had my horse PTS in October last year. He always responded very well to sedation - to the point where he would snore, loudly! He was heavily sedated and when given the Somulose went down immediately. It is the way that I would choose with any horse of mine, unless it was one which didn't respond to sedation.
I understand there are horror stories - there are horror stories about bullets not hitting the right spot, bullets missing completely, horses going crazy with the injection - but it's important to remember that we only really hear the horror stories. People like to sensationalise things and we need to know that 99% of the time, everything goes quietly and smoothly.
As for the person who said they had seen 5 horses PTS with injection and they had all gone wrong, I'm afraid that I agree with the person who said you need another vet!

This 100%
I've seen 2 now with injection and held 1, both went very peacefully one with a broken leg - the other just an old man - i think the important thing is to have the horse well sedated first.
Both mine will be pts by injection when the time comes.

Zebedee

Visit site
Injection is kinder for the owner, bullet is kinder for the horse.

^^^^

This is true. I held a pony that was PTS by injection a few years ago & as the drug hit his system his heart rate rocketed, & his eyes were on stalks, then he dropped.

If they're dispatched by a bullet they know nothing about it.

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site

This happens when things have been shot too. Had hunt out to put a cow down ,we both said cow (me and farm manager)was still alive but arrogant ******** from hunt said we were both stupid and of course she was dead . Chain round neck , dragged to top of very wet field by tractor and she was trying to stand!

I have seen many shot very badly and they have not been pleasant for anyone involved . I have had a few shot at home by the knackerman and that was a very easy and calm experience and would use a knackerman again if necessary but would only use a hunt if it was an emergency and no other option . I have had many put down by injection and have never had a problem so that would always be my preferred choice . My vets have always been experienced horse vets and it has all been over very quickly , much quicker than that video that someone posted . In fact the only problems I have had with injections has been with some of my cats and dogs . One cat had three injections , the last one directly into his heart before he went .

Brandy

Visit site
I cannot think of a single person I know, that has taken a horse to the vet premises, specifically for it to be pts. There are not many regular horse vets who have premises where customers can actually take their horses for treatment. Mine doesn't.

Really?Every vet I have used has had facilities for your horse to go in and be treated, and stay there for as long as necessary, and be pts there too if need be. Not sure I would use an equine practice that didn;t have these facilities.

Phoebe

Visit site
I've had 3 horses pts by injection and all went smoothly - except putting the needle in on my old mare who was writhing with colic... but once the injection was administered she went quickly and peacefully. I've seen one shot and its incredibly quick.
Re the knackerman etc, well, in an ideal world I would

1. PTS at home and cremation
but, if finances dictate otherwise then I will go for
2. Knackerman at home
worse case - 3. Slaughter and go with them

Sadly, with bills to pay and a recent change in my personal circumstances then I would have to go down the practical route because the end result is always the same