Hunting and Equine flu

bonny

Visit site
All the swobs are going through AHT not the BHA! So it would make far more sense to follow the AHT list!
The BHA can only go on affected racehorses, if only one yard is affected then that is presumably good news for everyone else in racing

Visit site
Bonny is only counting racehorses because all the other evidence in vaccinated leisure horses can be discounted apparently 🙄.

Thats the thing if they actually bothered to read the AHT's latest statement posted above they would see that there is a traceable link across the majority of Europe through competition horses of various natures passing flu around like its a hot potato!

bonny

Visit site
Thats the thing if they actually bothered to read the AHT's latest statement posted above they would see that there is a traceable link across the majority of Europe through competition horses of various natures passing flu around like its a hot potato!
I have read it, does anyone know how it compares with previous years though ?

faerie666

Visit site
This is now looking a possible scenario, all this fuss and it could just be a problem at Donald McCain’s yard ! 720 swabs have been tested so far, 6 horses have been positive, all from one yard so it could be the horses weren’t vaccinated or the vaccine was faulty ?
The thing is, McCain's horses must have contracted the virus from somewhere, maybe one of them picked it up at the races or a new arrival from the sales or a different yard brought the virus but didn't show any symptoms during their isolation period. At the end of the day, the symptoms are pretty much identical to other more minor respiratory infections, especially in vaccinated horses. At least McCain's have done the responsible thing and had their horses tested and reported the disease. There's plenty of people out there who won't even bother to call the vet because they think ' Oh well, he's a bit snotty, it's nothing major, a couple of weeks off and he'll be over it.'

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have read it, does anyone know how it compares with previous years though ?

I can’t work out if you are being intentionally dim or not, maybe go do some more reading? Especially if you are going to tell everyone else they are over reacting and what they should and shouldn’t be doing.

bonny

Visit site
I can’t work out if you are being intentionally dim or not, maybe go do some more reading? Especially if you are going to tell everyone else they are over reacting and what they should and shouldn’t be doing.
Ok, I’m dim, I have no idea how many horses have flu at any given time ? How many people call a vet ? How many vets test ? How does now compare to any other time ?

SEL

Visit site
There's plenty of people out there who won't even bother to call the vet because they think ' Oh well, he's a bit snotty, it's nothing major, a couple of weeks off and he'll be over it.'

Absolutely - me! The Appy was a bit snotty and coughing a few weeks ago. No obvious temperature and I called the vet a week in because I was concerned the cough wasn't clearing up. Usual protocol of ventapulmin and a week long course of antibiotics in case there was a bit of a chest infection (wheezing with stethoscope). Obviously we weren't on flu watch at the time, but the vet did check with me on Thursday that it had definitely 100% cleared up. I suspect if she presented like that today we'd be taking snot samples.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ok, I’m dim, I have no idea how many horses have flu at any given time ? How many people call a vet ? How many vets test ? How does now compare to any other time ?

You need to be asking the questions for THIS flu. Not any that have circulated in previous years.

SEL and that’s exactly why no one can accurately determine the spread of this flu right now, as it wouldn’t be the first suspect on the list in a vaccinated horse.

SEL

Visit site
You need to be asking the questions for THIS flu. Not any that have circulated in previous years.

SEL and that’s exactly why no one can accurately determine the spread of this flu right now, as it wouldn’t be the first suspect on the list in a vaccinated horse.

And she would be one to get it - not known as Sick Note for nothing.....

Eye opening how many people don't vaccinate. Can't imagine why you wouldn't want to protect your horse against tetanus. Lots of weird science appearing in FB 😕

faerie666

Visit site
What’s with all the silly faces, you maybe need to do a bit more research and open your mind a bit.
Are you seriously suggesting someone whose livelihood depends on the horses in his care being in peak health to perform on the racetrack would risk skipping vaccinations against a disease that's endemic in the UK horse population, and that his vets would sign passports for horses that haven't been innoculated? That's a VERY libellous statement to make, against both Donald McCain and his staff, and his vets...

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Seriously there are a lot of people on here who are getting very carried away, we are talking about a virus that is everywhere, large stables of horses will have a virus in some form in some horses every year. It is important in the racing world because it affects performance, not because horses are going to die. A reality check is needed.

I've read all of your comments with a :oops: face on.

Going by your comment above, can you tell me why you think then that the racing industry doesn't go into shutdown every year?

Why do you think they have got "carried away" this time?

faerie666

Visit site
Absolutely - me! The Appy was a bit snotty and coughing a few weeks ago. No obvious temperature and I called the vet a week in because I was concerned the cough wasn't clearing up. Usual protocol of ventapulmin and a week long course of antibiotics in case there was a bit of a chest infection (wheezing with stethoscope). Obviously we weren't on flu watch at the time, but the vet did check with me on Thursday that it had definitely 100% cleared up. I suspect if she presented like that today we'd be taking snot samples.
And no one can blame you for it, especially at this time of the year. We as humans don't run to the doctors for every minor sniffle! (At least I don't :p)

paddy555

Visit site
well our local hunt are ATM galloping around the edge of us. I have no idea how far away they have travelled. They could have come from anywhere. I just wish they would go away.

ihatework

Visit site
There was a post on the Racing Post FB page calling for the McCain yard's vet to be struck off for bodging the vaccinations :eek:. It seems to have been taken down now, thank goodness.

Maybe Bonny posted it?

That’s the crazy thing.

The trainer has acted completely responsibly, swabbing horses, reporting the results.

I would completely hold my hands up, if any of my horses had mild snots and a temperature I would assume they had a virus, give them some time off but wouldn’t immediately be going down the testing route. For all we know there are many more cases floating around and it’s only really just coming to light due to the responsible actions of racing that we have a mutant strain and we have the opportunity to nip this in the bud early.

I don’t think we need hysteria, but we do need awareness and sensible precaution

bonny

Visit site
Time will tell I guess, I think we are becoming a country that overreacts to events, interesting that we are the only country to stop racing. Maybe from here the authorities are going to say there is a problem on one yard for whatever reason or the situation won’t change and racing could stop for months. That would be a far bigger welfare problem in my opinion as well as costing millions and a lot of jobs.

bonny

Visit site
There was a post on the Racing Post FB page calling for the McCain yard's vet to be struck off for bodging the vaccinations :eek:. It seems to have been taken down now, thank goodness.

Maybe Bonny posted it?
Cheers for that 😒 there are a lot of people blaming Donald’s yard though

bonny

Visit site
That’s the crazy thing.

The trainer has acted completely responsibly, swabbing horses, reporting the results.

I would completely hold my hands up, if any of my horses had mild snots and a temperature I would assume they had a virus, give them some time off but wouldn’t immediately be going down the testing route. For all we know there are many more cases floating around and it’s only really just coming to light due to the responsible actions of racing that we have a mutant strain and we have the opportunity to nip this in the bud early.

I don’t think we need hysteria, but we do need awareness and sensible precaution
I’m not sure he had much choice, at least one of his horses was tested at the track after he ran badly

ihatework

Visit site
I’m not sure he had much choice, at least one of his horses was tested at the track after he ran badly

Isn’t that normal in racing/competition ? Your horse underperforms, you run bloods. Bloods show something then you swab what has developed in the interim.

If he ran a horse with snots and temperature then he was negligent. More than likely he ran a horse in the early stages of incubation and he was none the wiser until horse ran like a dog

faerie666

Visit site
You need to check your facts before you post.
The runner was tested back at the yard the day after he ran, along with the rest of the horses there, AFTER the positive results for the first three came to light the night before.

Visit site

It wasnt tested at the track. It was tested the following day at home. If you look at that horses track record it doesnt always run well. Its not like it was an odds on dead cert that pulled up heaving and puffing after half a circuit. I saw that horse at Ayr, I lead up a horse in that race and i thought it looked well.

Not all horses show symptoms. Same as humans.

Did you by any chance put money on McCain's horses this week and lose thus are talking through your empty pocket?

tristar

Visit site
sport horse ireland and another source have confirmed there are 5 outbreaks in ireland lienster and munster this year and the strain is more pathogenic.

it also is said that should an unvaccinated horse contract flu they will produce far more virus to shed than a vaccinated horse

bonny

Visit site
It wasnt tested at the track. It was tested the following day at home. If you look at that horses track record it doesnt always run well. Its not like it was an odds on dead cert that pulled up heaving and puffing after half a circuit. I saw that horse at Ayr, I lead up a horse in that race and i thought it looked well.

Not all horses show symptoms. Same as humans.

Did you by any chance put money on McCain's horses this week and lose thus are talking through your empty pocket?
I very rarely back horses and I would never back a McCain runner

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
well our local hunt are ATM galloping around the edge of us. I have no idea how far away they have travelled. They could have come from anywhere. I just wish they would go away.
Don't you live on Dartmoor? Oh great, that's just what is needed, the hunt ploughing on through and scattering herds of unvaccinated wild ponies...

*I may have hunted with that pack in the distant past*

Visit site
Look how kissable his little snozz is!

51612634_10157050029294721_4688785161041477632_n.jpg

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
sport horse ireland and another source have confirmed there are 5 outbreaks in ireland lienster and munster this year and the strain is more pathogenic.

it also is said that should an unvaccinated horse contract flu they will produce far more virus to shed than a vaccinated horse

I would hazard a guess that there are far more unvaccinated horses over here than there are in the UK. Even vaccinating for tetanus seems to be a rare thing :(