Hunting is in a spot of bother

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I sincerely hope that the police are pinning that charge on her now with the firm intention of pressing more serious charges on her shortly.

Attempted wounding my @rse.

In the meantime, her driving licence should be revoked - who needs to come across that amount of anger and lack of self control in charge of a vehicle?

Quigleyandme

Visit site
The Beeb has reported “suspicion of attempted wounding with intent”. Leicestershire Live has reported “suspicion of wounding with intent”.
whichever, I agree 100% with TP, that woman should not be in charge of a vehicle.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
My god! I know G_A warned but I still let out an involuntary shout on seeing that.

I would be amazed if there were no brain/spinal/neuro injuries after an impact and fall like that. 'Attempted wounding with intent' makes no sense to me but it says pending investigation so perhaps with evidence more closely reviewed/gathered as well as extent of injuries not immediately apparent, I wonder if that could change.

Annagain

Visit site
BBC is reporting the woman who was hit has non-life changing/threatening injuries and has been released from hospital. I wonder if the "attempted wounding" is because the injuries aren't deemed to be serious enough? I don't mean to downplay it in any way by saying that, the victim has been incredibly lucky in not being more seriously injured, I'm just trying to work out how it could be "attempted". The offence carries life imprisonment as maximum sentence and rightly so.

Millionwords

Visit site
Well, it's certainly a revealing thing to say publicly...
I don't think the sorts of people that say these things understand the general populations perceptions of statements like these and how they attribute that same sentiment to everyone involved in the pursuits. Or they're so arrogant that they don't care.

palo1

Visit site
Just about says it all really does it not...

What has happened to that poor woman is horrifying. The comment from some total a$se that you have referenced is dire but be in no doubt whatsoever that sab language is often no better or even worse. On the tragic death of a child do you remember the outrage that sab comments caused?

One idiot's comments does NOT reflect the view of any community on any issue.

Millionwords

Visit site

Whether it does or doesn't it seems like the supporters can't help themselves, and don't have the nouse to realise the impact is has on the whole community. The same way aggressive sabs don't represent MOST sabs, but pro hunt still tar them all with the same brush. Hunts can't have it both ways.

Other comments have been;
"Whos to say it wasn't a sab driving the vehicle to make the hunt look bad"

"She shouldn't have been on private property then"

"Sabs do worse"

The community doesn't help itself.

Last edited:

Sandstone1

Visit site
Whether it does or doesn't it seems like the supporters can't help themselves, and don't have the nouse to realise the impact is has on the whole community. The same way aggressive sabs don't represent MOST sabs, but pro hunt still tar them all with the same brush. Hunts can't have it both ways.

Other comments have been;
"Whos to say it wasn't a sab driving the vehicle to make the hunt look bad"

"She shouldn't have been on private property then"

"Sabs do worse"

The community doesn't help itself.
Quite, examples all ready on here.

Clodagh

Visit site
Someone who steals a car doesn’t represent the belief of everyone who knows how to drive.
Not a good example but taking SM comments as a large scale example of peoples beliefs is not really representative.
The driver of that car needs prosecuting. Radical views on either side are not typical.
I hope when that child was killed out hunting the anti hunting people on here felt the sabs celebrating her death was as awful.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Actually, though, I do think that comment reflects something more widely in the community of people who hunt illegally- a lack of respect for the law. Once you've started breaking the law around fox hunting, I think breaking the law in other ways becomes more normalised. See the hunts who allow their hounds to behave dangerously in other ways, who block public roads etc.

Yes, not all people who hunt feel this way, but I think there is something to be said about normalising breaking the law or perhaps thinking one is above the law.

palo1

Visit site
Actually, though, I do think that comment reflects something more widely in the community of people who hunt illegally- a lack of respect for the law. Once you've started breaking the law around fox hunting, I think breaking the law in other ways becomes more normalised. See the hunts who allow their hounds to behave dangerously in other ways, who block public roads etc.

Yes, not all people who hunt feel this way, but I think there is something to be said about normalising breaking the law or perhaps thinking one is above the law.

Well yes, but in this context, a disregard for the law is equally demonstrated by many sabs and sab groups: trespass, criminal damage, assault, doxxing etc

Wishfilly

Visit site
Well yes, but in this context, a disregard for the law is equally demonstrated by many sabs and sab groups: trespass, criminal damage, assault, doxxing etc

But, ultimately, if people stopped hunting illegally, sabs would either disappear or move on to other activities. I have to say, in my local area, hunts pose far more of a danger to the general public (and their pets) than sabs do- and let's be realistic, sabs have only resorted to the tactics they use because illegal hunting has been ignored for so long by certain police forces.

I'm not actually interested in the harm caused by sabs to hunt supporters. I'm interested in the impact both have on the general public. And for all the "whataboutery" from hunt supporters claiming sabs are awful, I don't know anyone who's not involved with (one specific) hunt in my local area who has had a bad experience with sabs. But I do know several people who have had to e.g. swerve on a main road to avoid hounds.

The sabs/hunt monitors in my county became a lot more active after there were some high profile cases involving local hunts either intimidating dog walkers or in one case killing a family pet (which the huntmaster was prosecuted over). Unfortunately, the backlash against really one or two hunts has spread to other hunts in the area acting legally (as far as I am aware).

But I would say, in my county, it is the bad behaviour of one specific hunt that has led to people setting up an organisation to "sab" them- and yes, I believe they do commit trespass. But if the hunt hadn't been hunting illegally and breaking the law in other ways, I don't believe this would have happened.

Obviously I won't generalise to the whole country, but I do believe in my local area, a specific hunt are to blame, and by behaving poorly they have arguably hurt everyone (and the perception of hunting in the county).

moosea

Visit site
What has happened to that poor woman is horrifying. The comment from some total a$se that you have referenced is dire but be in no doubt whatsoever that sab language is often no better or even worse. On the tragic death of a child do you remember the outrage that sab comments caused?

Still trying to defend them with retaliation about sabs behaviour.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Yes, just goes to show the mentality you are dealing with here. Someone pretty much uses a car as a weapon and only does not kill them by luck and its ok because sabs have done worse..... One big difference is that sabs are trying to stop a illegal activity. That person should be being charged with attempted murder. Its clearly on video that she drove at the sab on purpose. If the sab was not seriously hurt or killed it was by pure luck. If the driver does not go to jail its a farce. I hope the sab takes out a private prosecution.

Fred66

Visit site
Palo has not tried to defend them at all, in fact has condemned whom ever it was that hit the person with the car.

Palo also condemned those that have made SM comments that reference the incident in anything other than a sympathetic light. What Palo did do was add to say that derogatory and unacceptable comments are not restricted to the hunting fraternity and shows that both sides have idiots (for want of a more appropriate word).

I also condemn the actions of the woman driving the car and have no sympathy for her whatsoever and hope the book is thrown at her. I believe the hunt concerned have equally condemned the drivers actions but they have also denied that she is anything to do with them, I don’t know whether the denial is true or not but I am sure this will come out in due course.

Lastly I hope the injured woman is not too badly injured and makes a swift recovery

stangs

Visit site
Yes, just goes to show the mentality you are dealing with here. Someone pretty much uses a car as a weapon and only does not kill them by luck and its ok because sabs have done worse..... One big difference is that sabs are trying to stop a illegal activity. That person should be being charged with attempted murder. Its clearly on video that she drove at the sab on purpose. If the sab was not seriously hurt or killed it was by pure luck. If the driver does not go to jail its a farce. I hope the sab takes out a private prosecution.
That’s not what palo said at all, and, by misrepresenting their argument, you only make your side look worse.

Palo merely commented on the fact that, on both sides, there are extremists (that’s how I read it) whose involvement in the debate has escalated to the point they’re unable to show compassion or even a basic understanding of the law.

The more people take on this polarised viewpoint, the more likely things like the aforementioned alleged hit-and-run are to happen.