Hunting is in a spot of bother

lizziebell

Visit site
It's a shame that the bad apples are spoiling it for the hunts that aren't being a bag of d1ck$.
Any hunt following a fox scent is a bag of d1ck$, whether they get caught or not. Trail hunting with a fox scent is a complete farce.
It’s a shame for drag hunting if the general public don’t know the difference.

Millionwords

Visit site
And yet surely people come on a forum to debate? Yet you are mocking anyone who does offer a different POV. Your way or the highway it seems? And you wonder why people give up debating. I see you prefer an echo chamber, fill your boots.
I hear what you're saying, having differing points of view is fine. Trying to justify illegal acts by dancing around the subject directly but providing reasons why xyz unrelated IS acceptable is disingenuous and also ridiculous.

Treating people who want to debate the point at hand rather than unrelated waffle as stupid is also not helpful and doesn't help debate, only makes people irritated and unwilling to listen to any useful point you may make.

As evidenced on this thread.

I for one found some things posted here very informative, but its hard to take that away when if a direct question was asked, it was avoided, but several unrelated, uncomparable, irrelevant other points were raised. That's not debating.

Clodagh

Visit site
I hear what you're saying, having differing points of view is fine. Trying to justify illegal acts by dancing around the subject directly but providing reasons why xyz unrelated IS acceptable is disingenuous and also ridiculous.
I’m sure I never do that. I try to stick to the legalities as I recognise it’s a subject that is so decisive. But I do get fed up with getting a ‘kicking’ for even that.

Millionwords

Visit site
I’m sure I never do that. I try to stick to the legalities as I recognise it’s a subject that is so decisive. But I do get fed up with getting a ‘kicking’ for even that.
Absolutely, and I enjoy your posts, sometime challenging, often make me think, and in other topics I think we quite regularly agree on things indirectly. Its just this one we don't always agree on (though there are points we have)
The ire wasn't aimed at you. 🙂

moosea

Visit site
Oh no! another isolated incident!!

Snort. Well at least one person won't, because they really don't believe people i. e. the hunt, are deliberately awkward /cruel /word of choice, and have stopped posting on this thread.
Bitter, moi? Too right I am.

I don't mean to be rude but, while I do not agree with the poster your are hinting towards, I find the tone and content of posts relating to that poster to be in very bad taste. They do not show you and the others who are posting re; that poster, in a good light. I am personally sad that that person is no longer involved in our discussions as they did occasionaly raise valid points.
You cannot debate alone.

limestonelil

Visit site
But in the point I'm making there can be no debate. The hunt deliberately rode into our fields amongst our in-lamb ewes, lambs due in a week, despite knowing they had no access on any of our farm anywhere.
I used this as the specific example to prove that people definitely do mean and nasty things deliberately, not just through lack of education,and worded it better upthread.
Telling the truth does not show me in a poor light at all, imho.It was a dreadful experience particularly for OH who works so hard with the flock, to have this happen.
Another isolated incident indeed.

meleeka

Visit site
The trouble with this particular thread is that both sides are so set on their views that debate is pointless. Hunting is very marmite and nobody is going to change their mind based on anyone else’s view on here, or even see the middle ground, if there is one.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The trouble with this particular thread is that both sides are so set on their views that debate is pointless. Hunting is very marmite and nobody is going to change their mind based on anyone else’s view on here, or even see the middle ground, if there is one.

You are quite right about agreement, but I think recording the behaviour of hunts has a place, and non hunting people have told us that they are learning things they didn't know. I hadn't posted this one i drafted earlier, but I think I should.

That is cruel and unusual punishment. The poor dog. Thank you for always sharing these incidents - I wouldn't know about them otherwise.

You may not know, then, that the dogs are controlled by Whippers In. Whippers In carry whips with a long thong on the end. Hounds managed from horseback are whipped if they don't obey the voice. They certainly aren't pets.

Millionwords

Visit site
You may not know, then, that the dogs are controlled by Whippers In. Whippers In carry whips with a long thong on the end. Hounds managed from horseback are whipped if they don't obey the voice. They certainly aren't pets.

As far as I knew, the whip was used to make a noise, the crack stops hounds from going in the direction the crack has come from.
If you cracked a whip on a hound it would surely draw blood, and they're so long they'd be unwieldy to be trying to touch the hounds with them.

I'd love to know the real answer, whatever that is, anyone know?

ETA: just had a search on the forum, the crack (in the air) gets the hounds attention and used alongside a voice call, it can also be used as an arm extension to group hounds together eg along a road, but not by whipping so much as its just a line and will touch them, but not fast enough to "whip" more like a flung rope it would seem.

Last edited:

lizziebell

Visit site
Surely the middle ground is Drag Hunting/ bloodhounds/ and/ or hunting with dogs following a NON-ANIMAL based artificial scent ?

Last edited:

TGM

Visit site
ETA: just had a search on the forum, the crack (in the air) gets the hounds attention and used alongside a voice call, it can also be used as an arm extension to group hounds together eg along a road, but not by whipping so much as its just a line and will touch them, but not fast enough to "whip" more like a flung rope it would seem.

That is certainly the way things work in our local bloodhound pack. Just like when you are lungeing a horse using a lunge whip, it doesn't mean you are using the whip to give the horse a good thrashing. All their meets are open to the public with dates openly published in advance on the internet, and with no restrictions on photography or videography, so it is easy to ascertain the way the hounds are worked and controlled. As an aside, the 'hunt staff' who are mainly volunteers, all feel great affection for the hounds and have their own favourites. In fact one of the lead hounds does not live in the kennels but lives with the huntsman and is a 'sofa dog' as he got picked on by other hounds. Our previous huntsman also kept one of the best hunting hounds in his house for the same reason.

Last edited:

Sandstone1

Visit site
Of course everyone is allowed a opinion and this is a forum. However the poster in question often just turned things on to sabs saying they had done this and that. Major whataboutery! There was no recognition that illegal hunting is going on. Even with videos and proof of wrong doings. Maybe the hunt they hunt with is innocent but the very many incidents of wrong doings on this thread prove beyond doubt that illegal hunting is commonplace. Fox hunting with hounds is illegal as we all know and to deny its going on is ridiculous. There is no excuse for it.
Regarding the whipping of the hound... The huntsman clearly hit the hound. If you saw someone in the street doing that what would you think?

Last edited:

sakura

Visit site

I was aware of that, I meant that it should be classified as cruel and unusual punishment per common law.

They may not be pets, but they don't deserve that treatment.

ycbm

Visit site
I was aware of that, I meant that it should be classified as cruel and unusual punishment per common law.

They may not be pets, but they don't deserve that treatment.

I wasn't justifying it. It would be illegal if you did it to a dog you took out on a hack and in this day and age it should be illegal now, but then you couldn't hunt with hounds.

ycbm

Visit site
Carrying a hunting whip, one with a handle, lash and thong is common practice amongst the field. It can be used to open a gate, push down wire or briars and lead another horse. It is not a tool to beat hounds with anymore than the average rider carries a crop to beat their horse with.

I have seen hounds whipped and heard them yelp, while out hunting with more than one hunt.

ETA how else did anyone think a dog which has ignored the voice, horn and the whip crack is brought back into line?

TGM

Visit site
Nobody is taking about thrashing them. But if anyone believes the whip is never used to hurt they are kidding themselves.
Ah, I must have misunderstood your post, I took " in this day and age it should be illegal now, but then you couldn't hunt with hounds. " to mean that you couldn't hunt hounds without treating them in a way which should be illegal (so assumed you meant thrashing or beating them).

Grassy

Visit site
My OH is a Groundsman & they were working near to a well known private school, on the other side of the wall was hunt kennels, they clearly heard the dogs yelping as they were beaten & my OH had to restrain his team of workers from climbing over the wall to sort out the people abusing the hounds …

Sandstone1

Visit site
Nobody is talking about thrashing them. But if anyone believes the whip is never used to hurt they are kidding themselves.
I think a lot of people have been kidding themselves about the reality of hunting for a long time. its more than time the truth came out once and for all. No one that can shoot a fit and healthy hound in the head can care for them. No excuses about its best for the hound etc etc. Its cruel. Plain and simple.

TGM

Visit site
Staying on the subject of hound welfare, I'm sure most of you will be pleased to hear that our local bloodhound pack have a rehoming scheme for bloodhounds that are no longer able to hunt for some reason. And any hounds that need to be put down for health reasons are now euthanised by a local vet.

This is Romance in her new home, she had a slight heart murmur that meant she couldn't keep up with the pack.

So it is possible to do things differently.

Last edited:

Caol Ila

Visit site
Staying on the subject of hound welfare, I'm sure most of you will be pleased to hear that our local bloodhound pack have a rehoming scheme for bloodhounds that are no longer able to hunt for some reason. And any hounds that need to be put down for health reasons are now euthanised by a local vet.

This is Romance in her new home, she had a slight heart murmur that meant she couldn't keep up with the pack.

View attachment 108518

So it is possible to do things differently if hunts really want to.

She's very beautiful. Out of curiosity, do bloodhounds make good pet dogs? I have read on HHO that many foxhounds can be tricky in pet homes.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Meanwhile the madness continues hereabouts 😬.

On the one side, a 'trail' hunting pack determined to see it to the end of the season with a huntsman with a very recent conviction for illegal fox hunting.

On the other, a bunch of antis ranging from non interfering monitors (I've got no problem with them) to full on disruptive sabs (I've got lots of problems with them).

In the middle, the public who get dragged in to the confrontations, the police, and the poor bleddy hounds.

Here's one dazed and injured hound standing on a NSL section of the A534, a fast narrow and busy major East-West route with a lot of heavy goods traffic. Hound had just been knocked over by a car, along with another (fate unknown). Sabs had been deliberately interfering with the control of hounds by blowing a hunting horn. I know that the antis read this thread, FGS do not do this you are complicit in getting hounds onto the main road into the traffic. I know that this hunt is being highly irresponsible too, but direct actions like this from sabs are further putting hounds and the public at risk.

I know this section of road well - it is not at all suitable for horses or hounds to be on except for a strictly controlled crossing over.

These pics are from the antis, I can confirm that the pin point location I show on google maps is correct.

'Allegedly' ie the antis say that the hunt was then given a dispersal notice order by the rural police team and ordered to pack up as hounds were out of control and public safety was being endangered, though whether that is true or not I don't know.

Last edited:

TGM

Visit site
She's very beautiful. Out of curiosity, do bloodhounds make good pet dogs? I have read on HHO that many foxhounds can be tricky in pet homes.

They do usually make good pets, given the right homes. They are naturally very affectionate and usually love attention. They are big and do slobber though, so not for the house proud or for tiny city flats! Our huntsman takes any rehomers into his own home first, to get them acclimatised to their new life before they go off.

I confess I don't know much about foxhounds, although I do know someone who does keep a retired foxhound as a pet.

Millionwords

Visit site

View attachment 108518

So it is possible to do things differently if hunts really want to.
Paint me like one of your French girls Jack 🤣