Hunting is in a spot of bother

Millionwords

Visit site
As much as I try to avoid this thread at all costs, I really must correct this statement as I wouldn't want this misinformation to discourage someone from taking part.
Bloodhounds do not, I repeat DO NOT chase foxes. It is 100% clean boot hunting in that no animals are chased, no animal scent is used, the hounds follow a runner. It is tremendous fun and no animals are harmed.
It is "different" to trail hunting in the way it is conducted, more structured if you like, but I've gone a few times with the three counties bloodhounds and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Tests both rider's skill and horse's stamina.
If I was fit enough I'd LOVE to be the quarry and get caught and slobbered upon at the end!! 😍 😂

SilverLinings

Visit site
Agreed @Gallop_Away , there have been some truly awful comments and threats on SM (as reported by the papers, I'm not on SM other than here). I don't like how she behaved but I wouldn't even consider threatening her let alone making the death threats that some have. The internet is sometimes a vile place, 30yrs ago at least it would have been harder for people to find out where she lives and works, and the nasty people could only send poison pen letters to the local rag not broadcast their threats far and wide on the internet.

I do wonder if some of those who are particularly vile in cases like this are people who do absolutely nothing practical to stop animal cruelty (like protesting, campaigning, writing to their MP etc), but being nasty on the internet makes them feel involved with minimal effort. They aren't doing the cause of animal welfare any favours as it just makes supporters look to the general public like rabid, violent and slightly unhinged nutters. The nasty threats and comments on the internet end up as a distraction from Sarah Mould's unacceptable behaviour.

I hope she and her family can move on from this, but I also hope that she has truly learnt that what she did was unacceptable, and that she unnecessarily caused pain to an animal that misunderstood what was being asked of it.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Whilst I agree that SM and her family should not have had to deal with the level of on line vitriol that they did, her comments post verdict prove that she still does not recognise that what she did, punching the pony on the head, was wrong ☹️.

Had she apologised and shown remorse for a momentary loss of control, then one could regard her with more compassion.

She is a disgrace to the equestrian world. Many non horsey people, after her trial and the Not Guilty verdict, believe that it is considered to be acceptable to punch horses on the head.

Millionwords

Visit site

The teacher filmed by sabs hitting her pony has been found not guilty of animal cruelty.

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of the case, no one deserves to receive death threats and have their family smeared across social media.
Ah yes, "misinformation" and it being everyone else's fault, and "out of context".

Where have we heard all that before...🙄

She doesn't seem sorry for her actions at all.
Her treatment of that horse in that moment was disgraceful, I've never punched an animal in the face, so if she can do it in one moment, then there will be others.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
I've always felt quite sorry for her. I do not condone hitting a horse in the face, but I've been on the receiving end of sabs intimidation tactics and I've seen it cause lapses in judgement and people to snap under pressure (though again, I've not witnessed it cause anyone to beat their horse).

But I agree there doesn't seem to be any remorse for her actions which is very sad. If she had owned up to her mistake and shown remorse, then perhaps people would feel more sympathy for her.

Still it has now been dealt with and I hope she and her family will now be left in peace.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Crikey.

I've still no idea what possessed my local pack, who had been showing the way as to how you can reform, go legit and that the antis will respect that and back off, to appoint a convicted illegal fox hunter as huntsman last season.

After two previous 'no shows' in court, he has been found guilty again, this time for last season while in the employ of local pack.

What on earth were the masters thinking of?

Ollie Finnegan was previously convicted of illegal hunting when huntsman at the Quorn. The police had got hold of his phone, broke the passcode and voila - all his messages re illegal hunting.

Ollie Finnegan and the Cheshire Hounds Hunt have been found GUILTY of TWO counts of illegal hunting.

Finnegan was also given a two year Criminal Behaviour Order one sanction is he can’t trail with more than 10 hounds !

Well done to the Cheshire Police Rural Crime Team, and to everyone who respected their request that this case was not to be debated pre the trial.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It seems odd that a previously (reformed) law-abiding pack should employ someone who has a history of illegal hunting, and surely it is just sending out a massive invitation to the sabs to go back to targeting that hunt?
It did, loud and clear 😬. The antis had largely been leaving them alone, but once they appointed him they were right back. The hunt have thrown all that good will away.

Not to mention that the police knew to keep a very close on him.

Koweyka

Visit site
The Cheshire Hunt/Ollie Finnegan were found guilty today of illegal hunting on two occasions last season and though Finnegan is in Ireland he was given a criminal behaviour order, which will curtail him completely should the cowardly fox killer ever show his face in the UK again.

Koweyka

Visit site
It did, loud and clear 😬. The antis had largely been leaving them alone, but once they appointed him they were right back. The hunt have thrown all that good will away.

Not to mention that the police knew to keep a very close on him.
Truscott who they have appointed for this season is a clone of Finnegan, rumours were the field wanted more thrills that’s why they appointed Finnegan ….they got it all the way to court.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Here is the Cheshire Rural Crime Team's FB post on the Cheshire Hound's then huntsman Ollie Finnegan's trial and conviction on two counts of illegal hunting after his recent trial. These crimes will have happened less than a month after the opening meet in his first and (I think) only season as Cheshire Huntsman after leaving the Quorn with a pending trial for illegal hunting, in which he was subsequently found guilty.

For balance, the post also mentions the conviction of the notorious anti and Stockport Monitor Paul Allman.

A 38-year-old man has been found guilty of hunting wild mammals with dogs.

While John Finnegan, formerly from Northwich, did not appear at South Cheshire Magistrates Court on 30 August, he was found guilty of two counts of hunting a wild mammal with dogs under the Hunting Act 2004.

The charges relate to an incident on 12 November 22 in Chorley Green and an incident in Marbury on 26 November 22.

Finnegan was fined £1000 and ordered to pay a £800 victim surcharge and £180 court costs. He was also handed a two-year Criminal Behaviour Order which requires him to know and evidence where a trail has been laid on.

This was not the only conviction in relation to hunting recently.

Paul Allman, 48, from Stockport was sentenced to 20 weeks in prison for two counts of assault at Chester Magistrate’s on 11 August.

He was also ordered to pay £500 compensation.

This was in relation to the assault of a 48-year-old man and 31-year-old man on 13 November 2021 in Tinkwood Lane Cuddington.

Oli Finnegan ignored the court proceedings completely, but after his third successive no show in court the trial went ahead without him. It is believed that he is now out of the country.

Absolutely bizarrely, Oli Finnegan was allowed to continue as huntsman for the remainder of the 2022/23 season despite being convicted of illegal hunting in Dec '22.

If anyone knows whether the BHSA has finally tightened up their rules and now prohibits anyone with a conviction for any sort of wildlife crime, let alone full on illegal hunting, to be in the employment of a registered pack please say so. It's long overdue.

The illegal hunting was done and filmed right under the noses of a group of antis and the Cheshire Police Rural Crime Team. Laid a dummy trail to kick off with to create the smokescreen, then went in for full fat fox hunting in the presence of the police 😳.

It gives me absolutely no pleasure to report this, after having posted previously many times on this thread how this pack showed the way as to how a hunt could reform and switch to legal trail hunting, and that the antis had respected that and backed off. My head is in my hands - yet another case of hunting bringing about its own downfall 😬.

And I'm so cross at the unnecessary tying up of police resources who have to come out and deal with all this selfish nonsense.

Last edited:

Sandstone1

Visit site
Warwickshire hunt yet again. Tell me how this is trail hunting????????
Why and how is this allowed to continue?

SEL

Visit site
Warwickshire hunt yet again. Tell me how this is trail hunting????????
Why and how is this allowed to continue?
Is this the hunt that should have been prosecuted ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site

Millionwords

Visit site
The headline is silly no fox is eaten alive by a pack of hounds, it's torn to pieces and dead in an instant.

Daft hyperbole like that does the sab message no favours.
Well, no. But it was rather beside the point... It still does the hunt less favours that there's a headline at all...

Sandstone1

Visit site
The headline is silly no fox is eaten alive by a pack of hounds, it's torn to pieces and dead in an instant.

Daft hyperbole like that does the sab message no favours.
The fox in tht video did not appear to be dead in seconds. It was not eaten alive but it was pulled apart most likely when still alive. Whatever, it was still hunted and killed illegally.

ycbm

Visit site
Of course it was killed illegally but there's a world of difference between being unconscious in a few milliseconds and "eaten alive" which entails being conscious of the fact that you are being eaten.

And if you are using PR to get people on your side it doesn't help to over egg the pudding, it turns reasonable people off.

For others reading the thread I would prefer them to understand the reality, which is bad enough, which is that a fox in the grip of a pack of hounds will barely register that it's been caught before it's dead.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Back in my hunting days I used to believe what I was told, which is that the lead hound would snap the neck of the fox, and that death was therefore ‘humane’ and instantaneous.

Instead, it is clear (thanks mainly to video, which was not available then) that the fox is usually pulled apart. Death, while not protracted, is not usually instantaneous.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Of course it was killed illegally but there's a world of difference between being unconscious in a few milliseconds and "eaten alive" which entails being conscious of the fact that you are being eaten.

And if you are using PR to get people on your side it doesn't help to over egg the pudding, it turns reasonable people off.

For others reading the thread I would prefer them to understand the reality, which is bad enough, which is that a fox in the grip of a pack of hounds will barely register that it's been caught before it's dead.

Back in my hunting days I used to believe what I was told, which is that the lead hound would snap the neck of the fox, and that death was therefore ‘humane’ and instantaneous.

Instead, it is clear (thanks mainly to video, which was not available then) that the fox is usually pulled apart. Death, while not protracted, is not usually instantaneous.
Quite, I think unless one has been a fox caught by hounds its not likely we know what it goes through. Watch that video.. Look at the fox and tell me thats instantaneous.

cauda equina

Visit site
How do hunts justify this sort of 'autumn hunting'?
They are obviously not following a trail as they are not following anything
How is it any different from old fashioned cubbing?

ycbm

Visit site
How do hunts justify this sort of 'autumn hunting'?
They are obviously not following a trail as they are not following anything
How is it any different from old fashioned cubbing?

That didn't look like a cub and there was only one person driving it back, so that was just ordinary hunting.

Cubbing is so disgusting that I will put it in a spoiler for those who don't want to read it.

Cubbing is where a covert, a defined piece of woodland, is known to have semi-mature fox cobs in it which are almost ready to leave to set up life on their own. The field are told to ring the covert close by each other and to make noise to deter the cubs from leaving the covert. Talk loudly, smack their boots with their whip, etc. The hounds are then put into the covert to slaughter the lot of them. I went once and was so disgusted I gave up fox hunting. Not all hunts cub hunt and a big supporter of blood sports on the forum once accused me of lying about it because they had never heard of it.

cauda equina

Visit site
That didn't look like a cub and there was only one person driving it back, so that was just ordinary hunting.

Cubbing is so disgusting that I will put it in a spoiler for those who don't want to read it.

Cubbing is where a covert, a defined piece of woodland, is known to have semi-mature fox cobs in it which are almost ready to leave to set up life on their own. The field are told to ring the covert close by each other and to make noise to deter the cubs from leaving the covert. Talk loudly, smack their boots with their whip, etc. The hounds are then put into the covert to slaughter the lot of them. I went once and was so disgusted I gave up fox hunting. Not all hunts cub hunt and a big supporter of blood sports on the forum once accused me of lying about it because they had never heard of it.
Well we only saw one person driving it back, I assumed there would be others we didn't see
My point was, there is no way you can claim you are following a trail if your aim is to catch your quarry (whether cub or adult fox) before it leaves the covert

ycbm

Visit site
Quite, I think unless one has been a fox caught by hounds its not likely we know what it goes through. Watch that video.. Look at the fox and tell me thats instantaneous.

I've seen plenty of videos that convince me that a fox caught by a pack of hounds is dead before it knows more than that it has been caught. I think people are being mislead by the visual grotesqueness of an animal being ripped in pieces.

Much like sabs make a very big fuss about the fact that at the end of their working lives hounds are shot and not taken to a vet for injection. If I could, I would choose being shot over being taken to a vet for a needle for my pet animals.