Hunting is in a spot of bother

L&M

Visit site
Any idea when they might look to ban it? My OH thinks it’s not a priority for government at the moment and won’t be for years….
In the Labour manifesto it stated within 'this term' ie within the first 5 yrs of governance, and before the next General Election is called.

In Scotland it was actioned in a matter of months once the bill was passed, but as others have already stated the Labour party have far more urgent issues to address initially.

One thing you can be sure of is that the 'anti's' will up their presence to try and push it to being done sooner rather than later.........interesting times!

palo1

Visit site
Yes they're fine it's nice that they do it, but it's for livestock... Which we created... So my statement still stands...
Livestock are important though, especially the bloodlines of some of the rare breeds as they offer the chance of greater diversity and resilience for future problems and challenges. Unless we have a totally rewilded, very low food producing landscape (and even then!) livestock or feral grazing animals are an essential element in biodiversity and for soil regeneration. Yes, we created livestock through selective breeding of originally wild animals but they are important, with or without us. Humans are and always have been a keystone species too; I think it's important to bear in mind that we can be significant in a positive way, although we aren't currently. Just because humans did something doesn't always mean that that was bad.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I normally just read along with this thread but saw this article today and it made me lol.

OMFG. An ethnic minority🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
He is SO insulting to animal rights - I was going to say campaigners, but his implication is anyone who is against chasing animals around with packs of dogs is some sort of dewy-eyed Bambi-loving idiot.
I think he'll be laughed out of court, if it ever gets that far.

Fred66

Visit site
In the Labour manifesto it stated within 'this term' ie within the first 5 yrs of governance, and before the next General Election is called.

In Scotland it was actioned in a matter of months once the bill was passed, but as others have already stated the Labour party have far more urgent issues to address initially.

One thing you can be sure of is that the 'anti's' will up their presence to try and push it to being done sooner rather than later.........interesting times!
It looks as though “anti’s” may well have to stop wearing face coverings to hide their identity when they do this. As the latest riots appear to have pushed the government towards the implementation of banning the wearing of face coverings at protests.

Sandstone1

Visit site
It looks as though “anti’s” may well have to stop wearing face coverings to hide their identity when they do this. As the latest riots appear to have pushed the government towards the implementation of banning the wearing of face coverings at protests.
That also applies to the hunt hangers on that also wear masks. In my area the terrier men always cover their faces. Funny that....

Fred66

Visit site
That also applies to the hunt hangers on that also wear masks. In my area the terrier men always cover their faces.
I don’t believe the aim is to ban covering of faces full stop, it’s around people going on protests covering their faces to avoid being identified performing illegal acts or to intimidate those they are protesting against.
Generally speaking this would apply to all hunt sabs and not hunt members

Sandstone1

Visit site
I don’t believe the aim is to ban covering of faces full stop, it’s around people going on protests covering their faces to avoid being identified performing illegal acts or to intimidate those they are protesting against.
Generally speaking this would apply to all hunt sabs and not hunt members
And hunting foxes is legal is it?

Fred66

Visit site
Why wouldn't it apply to hunt members?
If you’d quoted my whole post you would have the answer.

The recommendation is that people partaking in protests are banned from covering their faces. By default hunt members attending a hunt wouldn’t be partaking in a protest.

However it isn’t law yet, might never be and if it is then the drafting of it might change.

Parrotperson

Visit site
That’s very interesting Canteron. I can hear the hunting lobby’s howls of protest as I type!!

Of course this will make it very difficult to hunt even a trail especially as hounds will riot on the scent of a wild animal if they’ve actually been, oh I don’t know, trained to hunt foxes!

Time it was banned outright.

In this day and age there’s no excuse for it.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The Beeb (who can be quite shy about reporting anything critical of hunting 🤔) have now reported on the Community Protection Warning issued against the Albrighton and Woodland Hunt

Hunt given police warning after animals killed https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cjdkydgmn4go

Much of the CPW seems to be common sense stuff that any hunt should be happy and able to comply with.

Millionwords

Visit site
Groups caught the Axe Vale Harriers in the process of digging into a badger sett. Full video below.

The Axe Vale Harriers are a member pack of the British Hound Sports Association, the discredited body that supposedly regulates hunting. In less than 48 hours, this hunt is due to participate in the BHSA’s National Trail Hunting Day – a series of open events designed to fool the public into believing that trail hunting is a real and legitimate activity. This sickening video shows - yet again – that hunts are nothing more than rural OCGs - Organised Crime Gangs.

After protracted digging by the terriermen, the bloodied and obviously injured fox was wrenched from the sett and flung into the air. Although the fox managed to escape the scene, the extent of their injuries is not known. The terrier was then dragged out and - in an effort to conceal his injuries from sab cameras - stuffed into a metal box mounted on the hunt’s quad bike. However, the video clearly shows the terrierman’s hands and coat are smeared with blood, most likely from both animals.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Whilst this footage of the Axe Vale is indeed grim, it may well not be technically illegal even post ban.

The terrier men only need to declare that they were digging to rescue their terrier and that’s their cop out. Whether they would have thrown the fox clear if they weren’t being filmed one can only guess 😬. It depends on whether there is more footage showing the lead up to the dig and the intentions behind it.

The BASC Good Practice Guide annexed to the Hunting Act states:
“In the event of a dog becoming trapped underground you may dig down solely for the purpose of rescuing your terrier.”

As an aside, the Axe Vale is one of the two harrier packs that I rode with pre ban. Just had one day with them when the meet of an adjoining foxhound pack was cancelled late on, and a number of us rerouted to the Axe Vale meet.

lizziebell

Visit site
Why are the terrier men covering their faces if they are legally going about their business?

Apparently one of our local hunts are not having terrier men on quads out this season. Bit late now if they are trying to look like innocent victims of the impending ban.

Millionwords

Visit site
Whilst this footage of the Axe Vale is indeed grim, it may well not be technically illegal even post ban.

The terrier men only need to declare that they were digging to rescue their terrier and that’s their cop out. Whether they would have thrown the fox clear if they weren’t being filmed one can only guess 😬. It depends on whether there is more footage showing the lead up to the dig and the intentions behind it.

The BASC Good Practice Guide annexed to the Hunting Act states:
“In the event of a dog becoming trapped underground you may dig down solely for the purpose of rescuing your terrier.”

As an aside, the Axe Vale is one of the two harrier packs that I rode with pre ban. Just had one day with them when the meet of an adjoining foxhound pack was cancelled late on, and a number of us rerouted to the Axe Vale meet.
I didn't copy and paste all text apologies.. It was during a hunt meet and the fox had gone to ground...

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I didn't copy and paste all text apologies.. It was during a hunt meet and the fox had gone to ground...
I can’t see the bit about the fox having gone to ground during a meet? Have I missed it?

As it stands from the clip the sabs are showing, there is nothing to show how the terrier ended up down the hole. Unless it can proved that the terrier was sent down the hole rather than taking itself down there while being exercised (and terriers do that whether they are supposed to or not), then this isn’t going to get any legal traction.

It’s very suspicious looking footage, for sure, but unless there is more evidence it’s not enough on its own.

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
In other news, the police finally got their man after he did eventually turn up in court.

This is the same individual who was busted for illegal hunting at his previous hunt. Nothing to stop him moving on to be huntsman to another hunt where he promptly gets seen doing the same again. You’d think that the BHSA would have rules barring individuals who have been convicted of illegal hunting from remaining in hunt service, wouldn’t you. But nah, there’s nothing like that in place.

His previous high profile conviction.

Last edited: