Hunting is in a spot of bother

paddy555

Visit site

this article totally sums up the problems that land owners (or renters) and the general public have with hunting. It is also the problem that people supporting hunting just will not acknowledge and it is very difficult to see how to get them to do so.

No doubt some will reply saying it was not acceptable and would not happen with their own hunt which is fair enough but it is happening. It has happened to many of us.
Would you want a frightened 9mo in with a group of big horses? I certainly wouldn't. Would you want a mare 2 months of foaling upset like that? I wouldn't want that either.
Not being able to control your animals and allowing them to break a fence is also unacceptable.

I have been in the situation that girl was except mine was a very elderly Jersey. Next time it was also an older horse with joint problems. Both were doing fine left alone to wander around their field.

The riders and hunt staff have horses. They must surely be able to read horses, read a situation and have a good idea what is going to happen. This could have been prevented if they had routed their trail away from this horse yard. If they had told her.

If they had control of the hounds they should have been able to stop it.

This is the second incident of this sort in a couple of weeks. Was this the same hunt as Barney?

Don't the hunt supporters realise that the rest of us are being held hostage? people cannot be sure their horses are going to be in one piece after the hunt have been through.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Well, isn't this just ticketyboo. Yet another case of residents' horses being panicked by the unauthorised entry of hounds onto private property, and fencing being damaged.

'We will warn her of any future trail hunts'.

That should already be happening as standard to all horse owners, and not just the ones that the hunt has previously managed to upset.

'She (the master) said: “I have been in contact with the horse owner and apologised for the very unfortunate incident and to check her horses are OK.

“I have also ensured her this will not happen again and we will warn her of any future trail hunts in the coming years.

“We are also arranging to replace the fencing.'

I have known of several cases of mares slipping foals after being upset by a hunt. I had to grab my own in foal mare in one day when the hunt fetched up here yet again without warning, and she was dashing around in a tizz. That master hadn't even bothered to let the farmers know he was coming, or the helpful local lady who would normally have alerted us. She was so apologetic, but it wasn't her fault at all.

Sandstone1

Visit site
this article totally sums up the problems that land owners (or renters) and the general public have with hunting. It is also the problem that people supporting hunting just will not acknowledge and it is very difficult to see how to get them to do so.

No doubt some will reply saying it was not acceptable and would not happen with their own hunt which is fair enough but it is happening. It has happened to many of us.
Would you want a frightened 9mo in with a group of big horses? I certainly wouldn't. Would you want a mare 2 months of foaling upset like that? I wouldn't want that either.
Not being able to control your animals and allowing them to break a fence is also unacceptable.

I have been in the situation that girl was except mine was a very elderly Jersey. Next time it was also an older horse with joint problems. Both were doing fine left alone to wander around their field.

The riders and hunt staff have horses. They must surely be able to read horses, read a situation and have a good idea what is going to happen. This could have been prevented if they had routed their trail away from this horse yard. If they had told her.

If they had control of the hounds they should have been able to stop it.

This is the second incident of this sort in a couple of weeks. Was this the same hunt as Barney?

Don't the hunt supporters realise that the rest of us are being held hostage? people cannot be sure their horses are going to be in one piece after the hunt have been through.
But no one on heres hunt behaves like that so that makes it ok.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
Not good at all and I would personally be livid if that had happened on our yard and those were my horses.

You would think with hunting being under such scrutiny that they would be going above and beyond to behave themselves. Do they not realise they are signing their own death warrant?

I do not want to see trail hunting banned, but sadly I think that will be the outcome if things do not change.

GSD Woman

Visit site
We similar behavior here from deer hunters. Many are respectful of the private land but there are some that will shoot at anything, including other hunters. It used to be we could only hack out on Sundays but now rifle season is allowed all days of the week. A friend had a hunter tell her that her dog should be kept in during the hunting season because it might be shot on her own land. (10 acres.) It was implied that he would be the one to shoot it.

Here shooting can also equal hunting.

Emmalee23

New User
Visit site
Can someone explain why fox is still used as the trail scent instead of something else that is non-animal related? Remove the temptation for the hounds to pick up the wrong trail?

Mistakes will always happen but they would be a lot fewer if the hounds were following a completely different scent.

I would love to go on a trail hunt one day, just for the atmosphere and thrill of the ride but don't agree that being torn to death by dogs is the most "humane' way to kill foxes. What's wrong with trapping and euthanasia?

bonny

Visit site
On the bbc Scotland news just now is footage of a fox being chased by a hound from the Buccleuch hunt. Hunt denying it’s illegal but the police are investigating.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Scotland has different rules from England and Wales. I think they can use more than 2 hounds to chase a fox towards a gun.

Basically, as long as anyone in the field is carrying a gun, they can probably say it's legal.

ETA they tried to introduce this wrinkle into English/Welsh law a number of years back (I don't know the NI law). I tried to tell my MP to vote against it because it would make any illegal fox hunting conviction nigh on impossible if any follower had a gun, but he wouldn't listen. Scottish MPs were going to vote against it even though it doesn't affect Scotland and it got withdrawn at the last moment.

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
Scotland has different rules from England and Wales. I think they can use more than 2 hounds to chase a fox towards a gun.

Basically, as long as anyone in the field is carrying a gun, they can probably say it's legal.

ETA they tried to introduce this wrinkle into English/Welsh law a number of years back (I don't know the NI law). I tried to tell my MP to vote against it because it would make any illegal fox hunting conviction nigh on impossible if any follower had a gun, but he wouldn't listen. Scottish MPs were going to vote against it even though it doesn't affect Scotland and it got withdrawn at the last moment.
I wasn’t aware of this so thankyou.

Koweyka

Visit site
This isn't surprising at all…..

“Cows, sheep, hounds, partridges, ponies and foxes all end-up in skips. These bins, overflowing with animal body parts, are deemed to be of the highest risk to humans and animals yet the covert filming shows them left open to the elements”.

“ITV News approached all hunts that had been filmed. Their responses were very similar. Each said they were subject to routine inspections that ensured compliance with the regulatory requirements that they all said they adhered to”

“This secret filming shows what happens when people don’t think they’re being watched’.

The video is horrific, discretion is advised.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-02-02...oM7fZEz0helG8m-hOG0RnB6qpICaVzTcjONCmMlXBUH5Q

Sandstone1

Visit site
This isn't surprising at all…..

“Cows, sheep, hounds, partridges, ponies and foxes all end-up in skips. These bins, overflowing with animal body parts, are deemed to be of the highest risk to humans and animals yet the covert filming shows them left open to the elements”.

“ITV News approached all hunts that had been filmed. Their responses were very similar. Each said they were subject to routine inspections that ensured compliance with the regulatory requirements that they all said they adhered to”

“This secret filming shows what happens when people don’t think they’re being watched’.

The video is horrific, discretion is advised.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-02-02...oM7fZEz0helG8m-hOG0RnB6qpICaVzTcjONCmMlXBUH5Q
Thats horrific. Thats where peoples much loved animals end up when they go to the hunt for disposal?

Koweyka

Visit site
These poor hunt hounds shot and tossed away like trash, one even jumping up to look in the bins before a bullet in the head and thrown away, utterly disgusting. What a hideous industry hunting is, from top to bottom. Just no words for this.

It’s on the ITV news this evening

Discretion advised watching the video.

https://fb.watch/aWw5td44g7/

Sandstone1

Visit site
These poor hunt hounds shot and tossed away like trash, one even jumping up to look in the bins before a bullet in the head and thrown away, utterly disgusting. What a hideous industry hunting is, from top to bottom. Just no words for this.

It’s on the ITV news this evening

Discretion advised watching the video.

https://fb.watch/aWw5td44g7/
Heartbreaking. These are the hounds that are so prized by hunts, that it will be anti hunters and sabs fault they are put down...
How can any "Animal lover" condone this..

ycbm

Visit site
There are 3 completely separate things going on here. I'll remind people first that I'm anti fox hunting.

Are the animals killed quickly and humanely and without knowing a thing about it? Would I be happy for an animal of mine to die that way?

Yes.

Are the bodies being treated with respect? Who does it matter to?

No, they are being treated as carcasses with no feeling, which is what they are. I do understand that people find seeing this happen upsetting but it isn't actually doing harm to anyone or any animal, however distasteful it is. I wouldn't have much sympathy with any consumer of mass produced meat who complains about what is on the video.

Are there health and safety breaches going on here?

Yes, they need sorting.

Koweyka

Visit site
So driving a quad bike repeatedly over a dead animals head for fun is acceptable behaviour and it doesn’t bother ?

All the people that let the hunt take their ponies, if they were doing that to your pony it would be completely acceptable to you ?

It shouldn’t matter if it’s a cow being defiled like that. Those are the terrier men that go out with the hunts …. Though knowing which hunts are involved it doesn’t surprise me.

There is much more to this than has been shown.

Throwing dead badgers in the bins, well considering some people think badgers are TB loaded killing machines (I am not getting into the cull as obviously I oppose it) and the Kimblewick hounds caught TB and had to be destroyed what terrible chances they are taking with public and animal welfare.

ycbm

Visit site
So driving a quad bike repeatedly over a dead animals head for fun is acceptable behaviour and it doesn’t bother ?

It wasn't for fun it was probably to get the carcass inside an already pretty full bin and get the lid shut as the law required.

All the people that let the hunt take their ponies, if they were doing that to your pony it would be completely acceptable to you ?

Like Ester I expect to be accused of being heartless, but what difference does it make what happens to the body after the animal is dead? It's a clean quick death that bothers me.

Pick your battles better Koweyka, and I'm with you. Trying to raise an emotional storm about dead flesh and I'm not with you. Your energy would be better spent campaigning about mass meat production and what it does to live animals. What happens to dead and senseless carcasses really isn't the big issue.

[153312]

Visit site
Much as I am loathe to say it yep agree. It's really, really distasteful of course, and no, I wouldn't like it if my pets were being treated like that: my solution to that is use alternative arrangements for their disposal when they die.

But the suffering of actual live animals is surely the far more pressing problem? Corpses don't feel pain remember.

Koweyka

Visit site
Live animal abuse was also filmed (not been shown yet), I am a minority I do understand that but I believe animals deserve respect in death as well as life and I can’t find any justification for using a dead cow as a trampoline.

The terrier boys filmed are well known and most in the anti hunt movement aren’t surprised.