Hunts woman hits proteste

Caol Ila

Visit site
If anyone is interested in a bit of cultural anthropology, check out the thread on this incident posted on the Chronicle of the Horse, an American forum: https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/...rotestors-don-t-mess-with-a-huntwoman-s-horse

As an American expat myself, I think it's interesting that no one on that thread queries the rider's actions or her horsemanship and everyone piles in to blame the sab. I suppose it comes out of the view that private property rights are sacrosanct -- no such thing as a public footpath or right of way (and the right to roam in Scotland is simply unthinkable) and shooting at someone on your land is seen as reasonable.

GirlFriday

Visit site
So, there'll be a reason you no longer live there, right? ;-)

They also chop the ears off puppies and mutilate the feet of TWH - scary place.

Bojingles

Visit site
If anyone is interested in a bit of cultural anthropology, check out the thread on this incident posted on the Chronicle of the Horse, an American forum: https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/...rotestors-don-t-mess-with-a-huntwoman-s-horse

As an American expat myself, I think it's interesting that no one on that thread queries the rider's actions or her horsemanship and everyone piles in to blame the sab. I suppose it comes out of the view that private property rights are sacrosanct -- no such thing as a public footpath or right of way (and the right to roam in Scotland is simply unthinkable) and shooting at someone on your land is seen as reasonable.

I would imagine their strong culture of hunting (pretty much anything and everything) would have something to do with it as well.

Antw23uk

Visit site

I didnt read very far but what a cracking idea .. remove stirrup leather and wack away with metal stirrup iron .. Im so remembering that, lol!

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Luci07 there is no indication whatsoever that they tried to drag her off.

Given that she and the juvenile were mounted they were more than able to move away from people walking along on foot.

There are two scenarios here:

a. Brave woman sees child separated from main body of hunt and rides into the fray to enable the child to get to safety, attempt is made to drag her off her horse and she defends herself.

b. P***ed of rider loses it with protestors who have spoilt her day out.

The event might have been a. which is the argument put forward by her husband, the edited video shows b. we don't see any attempt to drag her off her horse, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that it wasn't shown in a version that has been framed and spliced together to support the narrative that the Sabs want to promote. Quite simply we don't know, I think its utterly wrong to condemn her unless we have the whole picture, which we don't.

Its a bit like people asking why armed police don't shoot the gun out of the hand of an armed suspect, based on having seen someone do it in a John Wayne film.

Comments have been made about masked demonstrators in London, the police wouldn't be interested - no problem with that, but masked individuals behaving in an intimidating manner, this is entirely different and yes they would be interested.

The comment has been made about the US take on this in Chronicle of the Horse - quite simply they would have run the chance of being shot. Hunts in N Ireland weren't troubled by masked protestors during the troubles, for the same reason.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Someone on the US thread did suggest that if the rider wanted to claim self-defense in court, she would have been better off using a gun. Is America a great country or what?

Mule

Visit site
I don't understand all the fuss about hunting in the UK. If hunts aren't following the law why not let the police deal with it? The idea of groups of people following hunts around the countryside seems ridiculous.

I love animals but I can't imagine traipsing around the countryside trying to save wild animals. Perhaps it's a cultural difference?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Well because the police tend to give it rather low priority, given that they don't generally investigate burglaries etc in a lot of areas what are the chances of them actually being in field to get sufficient evidence to prosecute a hunt? That and the legislation is rather flimsy too anyway.
This obviously annoys some people, particularly the ones who spent a long time campaigning for a 'ban' got one, but think it then isn't being upheld.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
I don't understand all the fuss about hunting in the UK. If hunts aren't following the law why not let the police deal with it? The idea of groups of people following hunts around the countryside seems ridiculous.

I love animals but I can't imagine traipsing around the countryside trying to save wild animals. Perhaps it's a cultural difference?

The point is that the police aren't interested / competent / resourced to police hunting.

There are a whole range of people who have appointed themselves to do the job for the police, the acceptable face of this are people who legitimately make their views known to hunts and gather evidence of any alleged breach of the law to present to the police and/or any other body who can initiate proceedings, but they gather their evidence legally they may be vocal but don't trespass, use intimidation or violence. The opposite end of the spectrum believe that they can take the law into their own hands and that violence and intimidation is justified in the name of protecting foxes or preventing "Toffs" having a day out. Their tactics can be brutal can injure children, horses and hounds alike, but the end justifies the means - its the same mentality as the poor lady in Wales who's house was attacked because they discovered she was a paediatrician!

Judgemental

The Internet makes one's location irrelevant
Visit site
This whole situation deepens, bearing in mind the following:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-repeatedly-whipped-saboteur-riding-crop.html

A huntswoman filmed repeatedly whipping a protester with a riding crop launched a foul-mouthed rant at hunt saboteurs just three weeks before the alleged attack. Jane Miller (left), whose partner Richard Goring (inset) is part of the UK's oldest family hotel dynasty, screamed 'get off my horse' and lashed out at the man on a hunt in Herstmonceux, East Sussex, in the first video. Police today confirmed they will speak to Mrs Miller about the incident at Pevensey Marshes on Saturday (right). Now new footage has emerged showing the 56-year-old screaming '*******ing terrorists', '******* off' in a second video nasty.

The age differentials are somewhat and unusually well trailed.

Me thinks this one is going run for a while.

Thing is, from my experience, Sabs generally tend to repeatedly target a hunt or individuals for a reason?

Definitely there appears to be a very deep seated issue and it is not doing hunting any favours.

This Jane Miller, needs to be spoken to by the MFHA as to her conduct and whether she is bringing hunting into disrepute. Similarly the Masters and Secretary of the hunt need to be spoken to by the MFHA and questioned, as to whether they are satisfied what is going on is fit, proper and whether they are exercising reasonable control within the general tenets of the association.

This forum is a breath of 'fresh air' to the hunting forum I normally inhabit.

Last edited:

Judgemental

The Internet makes one's location irrelevant
Visit site

Whilst on the face of what is evidenced in the video's, and not excusing Jane Miller who needs some sound advice, which I would happily dispense.

Clearly, the core problem is the rising of revolutionary types, who are determined to overthrow the the established order of this great nation.

Attacking very wealthy people who hunt, is always a favoured tactic and are always able to stir up a significant uprising, albeit targeted at the equestrian world.

Largely because people who have horses are perceived to be wealthy.

The various players for the sabs, whose names are synonymous with the historical annals of being saboteurs and are absolute masters, at quietly firstly observing and then targeting folk, who are likely to rise to their bait and certainly Jane Miller has spectacularly risen.

This is typical when the government has a weak majority and the police are stretched in terms of personnel and money.

Cecile

Visit site
What is a peasanty lol

I want to be a peasanty it sounds sort of nice

On the anti's face book or whatever, it says they will be going back again but agreed no foxes were involved during the hunt on the day of the whipping, maybe she is the missing link as to why they wish to go there, who knows?! I'm busy learning how to be a peasanty :)

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Wow, what a long thread.

I've been unable to find any reporting of this incident other than in the Daily Fail.

If anybody has any reliable information about this, I'd like to read it, especially if there has been any decision to prosecute Miller or the rein-grabber over the incident.