I just don't think she's going to grow :(

3Beasties

Visit site
I have to admit to getting a bit confused why people who really want a certain height buy youngsters though rather than say a 4 yo so you know they will get the min. height you want.

This ^^^

Stop worrying about it and just enjoy her. If you won't sell her then the height she makes really won't make a difference as you will be keeping/riding her anyway.

ByDesign

Visit site
I think she will grey out :( , although as a foal she was bright red and white! she goes like a rose and white in the summer (I have hundreds of pics off previous owners) and her passport says shes a "roan tobiano" I will try and upload some foaly photos!

I'm hoping with some good grass she will spurt up although she isn't looking half bad for wintering out. I've never even thought of judging by her cannon bones but you are rights - they are rather long!

Megibo

Visit site
Wow she is gorgeous, that trot is fantastic she almost looks like she's skipping. Very floaty :)

I think she will grow more too, I got my sec D at age 6 and she grew another inch in the first year.

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
I wouldn't give up hope just yet. She doesn't look in proportion to me, she looks a bit bum high and that is usually a sign that the front end is going to catch up. They don't grow evenly, they grow in spurts. So I think there is every reason to be hopeful

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I think she will grey out :( , although as a foal she was bright red and white! she goes like a rose and white in the summer (I have hundreds of pics off previous owners) and her passport says shes a "roan tobiano" I will try and upload some foaly photos!

I'm hoping with some good grass she will spurt up although she isn't looking half bad for wintering out. I've never even thought of judging by her cannon bones but you are rights - they are rather long!

Do you know what colour her parents were? She is lovely. If I were to make a guess at her final size I would say 16.3 - 17hh.

Wow she is gorgeous, that trot is fantastic she almost looks like she's skipping. Very floaty :)

I think she will grow more too, I got my sec D at age 6 and she grew another inch in the first year.

Thank you. She is very light on her feet. It is good to hear about your section D. I think I might just have to wait a long while before backing her. Will probably do some groundwork with her this year and maybe some in hand showing.

scewal

Visit site
Don't give up hope, mine was about 15:3 hh at 4. Stands 16:2 hh at rising 7, and still don't think she has quite finished.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

If she was bright red as a foal she is greying rather than roan IMO.

ByDesign

Visit site
If she was bright red as a foal she is greying rather than roan IMO.

I know, I was only stating what was on her PP (breeding thing says skewbald) I'm going to get some odd looks when I start showing her if they do a PP check lol!! Wagtail - she's a freak of nature Mum is a 15'1 conny/ish and dad is a 16hh ID :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I know, I was only stating what was on her PP (breeding thing says skewbald) I'm going to get some odd looks when I start showing her if they do a PP check lol!! Wagtail - she's a freak of nature Mum is a 15'1 conny/ish and dad is a 16hh ID :)

Are either of them grey?

The two year old WB that was born at my yard is 16.1hh now. His dam is 16.1 and sire is 16.2. I reckon, judging by the sheer size of his knees and length of cannon bone he will reach at least 17.2. I may have to do a swap with his owner!

ByDesign

Visit site
Are either of them grey?

The two year old WB that was born at my yard is 16.1hh now. His dam is 16.1 and sire is 16.2. I reckon, judging by the sheer size of his knees and length of cannon bone he will reach at least 17.2. I may have to do a swap with his owner!

Oh gosh I don't think I could manage a 17'2! Yes though, mum is a grey, dad is a skewbald / tri colour.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
If it's any consolation, mine was maybe 14.3hh (being generous) when I bought him as a rising 6yo, and by the end of his 7th year (last year), he was just under 15.1hh and he's now getting really chunky too. So you might get a bit more yet :)

mjcssjw2

Visit site
wagtail I am in the same boat with my baby! she is a bit over 14.2hh but will have to be sold if she doesn't make big enough for me

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
If it's any consolation, mine was maybe 14.3hh (being generous) when I bought him as a rising 6yo, and by the end of his 7th year (last year), he was just under 15.1hh and he's now getting really chunky too. So you might get a bit more yet :)

Oh good. I have lowered my expectations somewhat and would be delighted if she made 15.1hh

wagtail I am in the same boat with my baby! she is a bit over 14.2hh but will have to be sold if she doesn't make big enough for me

Is yours buckskin too, I seem to remember? Do you have pictures? I am really torn about selling her as I always keep my horses for life, but if I can't ride her, she would be wasted. I guess if the right home came along that were looking to keep a horse for life, I would sell her if she didn't make big enough, just so someone could get the enjoyment out of riding her. It's really difficult though.

minigal

Visit site
I bought my 2 year old as less than 14hh. He went through a hilarious variety of gangly ugliness until he matured at a huge and beautiful 16.2. He was supposed to make 15.2. I sadly lost him in November but was going to be a big chunky guy too, I wouldn't worry just yet...

DJ

Visit site
Haven`t read all the replies, but when my lad was 3 he was just short of 14.2hh, he`s now 7 and a smidgen over 15hh .. (not quite 15.1hh but if he had shoes on he probably would be). He was fine and gangly as a baby but he has filled out now. So don`t lose hope just yet ;)

Fools Motto

Visit site
I'm worried too. My rising 4 NF filly is still only about 12.3 by my reckoning. She has been this height for best part of 14/15 months now. I had hoped she would mature at 13.2. I haven't put the stick on her mind yet this year, but with the wet winter she hasn't been on compost to grow!! lol. Just sunk...
I think she has put all her growing into getting broader - I'm going to have to 'saddle check and alter' when I start re-riding her for sure.
*latest but not recent token photo - looks like she will grow, but I'm so doubtful!!
IMG_20140301_111331022_zpsc57b1a8b.jpg

Vickijay

Visit site
I wouldn't worry. I bred one who was meant to be around the 16h mark but you can never tell. Shes a midget! Shes rising 6 and is 15.1 at a push, all my horses before have been around the 16.2+ mark. I have been on a epic diet to be able to ride her (I did need it!) and I wouldn't change her for the world. There are a lot of people that have asked to have her, but shes going nowhere!

Charmin

Visit site
Mine was supposed to make 15.2ish and stopped at 14.2 - wouldn't change her for the world! I'm 5'7 and she carries me easily :)

Suziq77

Visit site
But to end up more than a hand smaller than both parents is surely very unusual?

Both of my mares are more than a hand smaller than their parents (that's how come they found me :) )

On the flip side my friend bought a yearling whose parents were both under 16.2hh and by 4 he was 17.2hh and now at rising 5 is just on 18hh! Ironically she originally bought him to keep the two year old she got from the same stud company and thought she'd have to sell him once he was backed as he wouldn't be big enough for her!!

She's gorgeous and I bet she won't feel small to ride anyway

windand rain

Visit site
Looking at her she looks like she has a lot of body to put on and with my eye she has probably at leas two inches if not a full hand of body to make up. Her legs may well have stopped growing but her body will carry on she still looks very immature to me so I would be leaving her until at least next year probably the year after to do much with her

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Is yours buckskin too, I seem to remember? Do you have pictures? I am really torn about selling her as I always keep my horses for life, but if I can't ride her, she would be wasted. I guess if the right home came along that were looking to keep a horse for life, I would sell her if she didn't make big enough, just so someone could get the enjoyment out of riding her. It's really difficult though.

Genuinely would be very very interested in her if you find that she doesn't grow tall enough.
I'm only 5ft2 so her not hitting 15hh wouldn't be problem. So if in a few years you are ever thinking of selling...;)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I bought my 2 year old as less than 14hh. He went through a hilarious variety of gangly ugliness until he matured at a huge and beautiful 16.2. He was supposed to make 15.2. I sadly lost him in November but was going to be a big chunky guy too, I wouldn't worry just yet...

Gosh he grew a lot didn't he! :)

Haven`t read all the replies, but when my lad was 3 he was just short of 14.2hh, he`s now 7 and a smidgen over 15hh .. (not quite 15.1hh but if he had shoes on he probably would be). He was fine and gangly as a baby but he has filled out now. So don`t lose hope just yet ;)

Sounds like I may have a while to wait then if she follows his growth pattern. I don't mind waiting if she gets there in the end.

I'm worried too. My rising 4 NF filly is still only about 12.3 by my reckoning. She has been this height for best part of 14/15 months now. I had hoped she would mature at 13.2. I haven't put the stick on her mind yet this year, but with the wet winter she hasn't been on compost to grow!! lol. Just sunk...
I think she has put all her growing into getting broader - I'm going to have to 'saddle check and alter' when I start re-riding her for sure.
*latest but not recent token photo - looks like she will grow, but I'm so doubtful!!
IMG_20140301_111331022_zpsc57b1a8b.jpg

Aw she's so sweet! You are lucky to be small enough to ride ponies. I'm really envious.

Mine grew half a hand between 5 and 7......so I wouldn't give up hope :)

Ps he's 15.1

Ooh that sounds promising! Thanks. :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I wouldn't worry. I bred one who was meant to be around the 16h mark but you can never tell. Shes a midget! Shes rising 6 and is 15.1 at a push, all my horses before have been around the 16.2+ mark. I have been on a epic diet to be able to ride her (I did need it!) and I wouldn't change her for the world. There are a lot of people that have asked to have her, but shes going nowhere!

Mine was supposed to make 15.2ish and stopped at 14.2 - wouldn't change her for the world! I'm 5'7 and she carries me easily :)

I think I will probably feel the same. But obviously, I need to make sure she is big enough to comfortably carry me. They do say that good things come in small packages.

puss

Visit site
My cob as a three year old was fifteen hands wanted him to be fifteen two hes now sixteen two and im way overhorsed grew until he was eight.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Both of my mares are more than a hand smaller than their parents (that's how come they found me :) )

On the flip side my friend bought a yearling whose parents were both under 16.2hh and by 4 he was 17.2hh and now at rising 5 is just on 18hh! Ironically she originally bought him to keep the two year old she got from the same stud company and thought she'd have to sell him once he was backed as he wouldn't be big enough for her!!

She's gorgeous and I bet she won't feel small to ride anyway

Thank you. That's what I'm hoping.

She is stunning, and I am very jealous :D:p

Thank you!

Looking at her she looks like she has a lot of body to put on and with my eye she has probably at leas two inches if not a full hand of body to make up. Her legs may well have stopped growing but her body will carry on she still looks very immature to me so I would be leaving her until at least next year probably the year after to do much with her

Yes, I was going to just do a bit of in hand stuff with her this year, and maybe some long reining. Then lightly back her next year if she looks ready. I'm going to have to be very patient.

Genuinely would be very very interested in her if you find that she doesn't grow tall enough.
I'm only 5ft2 so her not hitting 15hh wouldn't be problem. So if in a few years you are ever thinking of selling...;)

I will certainly let you know if I decide to sell her. She is my absolute dream, and being able to ride her would be the icing on the cake. But this thread has made me think about it more carefully. It would be a real shame if she ended up as a pet in the field. I wouldn't normally say that, because horses don't care if they are not ridden and competed, but I just think she has so much to offer someone, and if it is not me, then maybe I should try to find her a really good home where someone would get the best out of her. Either that, or find a petite rider to ride for me.

mjcssjw2

Visit site
thank you wagtail, we will both just have to keep our fingers crossed as my filly too is absolutely lovely horse like yours;-)