If you found out your yard was sedating your horse..

Fools Motto

Visit site
I'd refuse to pay any further bills, find a new yard, and go down the legal route for this poor management.
OP, if it is you that own said horse, I feel for you (or whoever it may be). Hope they get what is coming...

babymare

Visit site
Im sorry Amymay without owner/vet permision no reason explains this. issues with horse? Talk to owner. full stop. Then talk about way forward but to do that is beyond belief. im angry for gingerwitch.

Dusty85

Visit site
If YO didn't yet know that I knew I would be making sure I got hard proof- Ie such as installing a camera or such like. I would then go to the police immediately and be talking to the vet supplying it (if there is one)

I would also make sure EVERYONE knew why i was moving my horse. I would not be paying a months notice or even giving a notice period.

I would be livid!!! Hard not to loose temper and end her punching her, but would want to keep calm and not get counter arrested for assault!!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I can't quite believe this. If the YO thought she or the staff were at risk from a badly trained horse, why not tell the owner to turn out ?
Staff have a right to work in a safe environment but they do not have the right to drug your horse.

AA&B

Visit site
-Start looking for new yards tonight - even if it means a longer drive. anywhere is better than where you are now

- Start to plan out your chat with YO. You don't want to say/do something that will make the court case see you as the bad one

- Source legal advice first thing tomorrow

- Speak to supplying vet

Marydoll

Visit site
Sedalin is a pom and whoever has been giving it has no right to administer it without your permission, has the person been riding this horse not knowing its been sedated at some point ? The vet who prescribed ot is rolled up in this as well.
To be given regularly there needs to be a regular supply, why would the vet not question this ?I cant get a supply of danilon without the vet seeing my horse !
Id remove my horse, verbally destroy them and speak to a lawyer, then their ass would be grass.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
OP, how did you discover that this was happening? Did you see it for yourself? Is it just your horse or is it others too?

I would be ballistic too, but you need to work out the best plan of action both to stop the practice short term and how to play it long term. Certainly legal action is an option to be considered.

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
You have all missed the reason why this is being (wrongly) done. It is nothing to do with an unruly horse/danger to staff.

In my opinion the YO is trying to minimise the trashing of fields. This is turn will save him/her work, save him/her moaning from other owners and prolong the grazing available and maximise income.

Under hand or what ! You need to move, speak to the prescribing vet and thank god your horse did not have an adverse reaction.

Patterdale

Visit site
I'd still be there, still going ape**** whilst furiously packing all my gear ready for horse to move.

Then I'd move and cut all contact, but make sure to tell everyone within 100 miles exactly what's gone on.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
to stop your horse running around and bucking when he/she was turned out - and they did not want any other horses to "kick off" - it was also supposed to prevent your horse from being injured...... only found out as the text to say - give x - 3 clicks today before you turn out was sent to me in error - and I went to yard and asked what they ment ??? i was told "oh sorry wrong text sent to you - it was for y" - so went to check on my horse and he was zonked

MadBlackLab

Visit site
to stop your horse running around and bucking when he/she was turned out - and they did not want any other horses to "kick off" - it was also supposed to prevent your horse from being injured...... only found out as the text to say - give x - 3 clicks today before you turn out was sent to me in error - and I went to yard and asked what they ment ??? i was told "oh sorry wrong text sent to you - it was for y" - so went to check on my horse and he was zonked

Keep text, move ASAP. sue the back side off them and then slate them

Polos Mum

Visit site
Move asap and get my vet to check the horse over and discuss any health implications of long term use in this way. Once settled into new yard I'd be sure to tell everyone and anyone, including all other liveries there, why I had left

You need to trust YO and this breaks trust on so many levels

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
So the yard system of turn out, or indeed system of no turnout, leads to horses being difficult to lead, so rather than alter their regime they are using prescription medication, otherwise than as prescribed, to make up for their poor management. It beggars belief, or should. The prescribing vet MUST be informed (if they do know you can bet your life they will say they do not), I would be moving my horse ASAP and informing the animal health department of my LA.

Arizahn

Visit site
They don't go out everyday.... :( , so when they do go out they get sedated... you also then get charged for extra's like shavings, physio, being bathed, supplyments etc - but you never notice a deeper bed, or the supplyments have just run out when you go in the feed room

Please move yards. For your horse's sake and yours. This is horrendous.
:(

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Until I have somewhere else to go - I have not said anything, if they get thrown off the yard - i can hardly graze them on a grass verge, spaces around here are like gold dust at any time of year -let alone December... mine are not excatly hardy critters so even just finding a field will be hard - but have spent the last few hours phoning round and tyring to find somewhere - but I honestly thought this was a top yard - and by the large cost of the basic care.... i honestly thought it was... i discussed everything to the last detail prior to moving... i have only been there since the 1st Dec... is it really only the 12th ?? and i cannot belive what i have walked into

Marydoll

Visit site
Until I have somewhere else to go - I have not said anything, if they get thrown off the yard - i can hardly graze them on a grass verge, spaces around here are like gold dust at any time of year -let alone December... mine are not excatly hardy critters so even just finding a field will be hard - but have spent the last few hours phoning round and tyring to find somewhere - but I honestly thought this was a top yard - and by the large cost of the basic care.... i honestly thought it was... i discussed everything to the last detail prior to moving... i have only been there since the 1st Dec... is it really only the 12th ?? and i cannot belive what i have walked into

So is your horse still being sedated but now with your knowledge ?

Polos Mum

Visit site
If you've only been there a couple of weeks can you go back to your previous yard? It can't have been perfect as you left but compared to this, I'd also be very concerned about other management practices if using POM drugs on horses it wasn't prescribed for, not in an emergancy!, was acceptable.

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
Really upsetting to think that your horse wouldn't be allowed turnout unless he was too zonked to enjoy it.
:(
Definately speak to your vet about the yard. Is it even legal to give the horse drugs without your or your vet's knowledge? What if you took him out and had an accident because he had been sedated without your knowledge? What if you were competing? Very upsetting and scary.
Hope you find somewhere else soon.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
So is your horse still being sedated but now with your knowledge ?

Well not with my blessing - they wont be out tomorrow anyway as "there day" was today - and I think i have found a place at almost double the cost that can have them on Saturday.... but how on earth do i know i am not out of the frying pan into the fire... my trust has been destoryed !

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I would be getting vet out and bloods taken as proof that Sedalin is present in the horses system. Then I would be going the whole hog legally with both yard and vet practice supplying the Sedalin. Make sure you use a different vet to the one the yo uses.

Horse would be getting removed as soon as bloods are taken and would I hell he giving any notice not paying it until bloods are run if they are clean of all medicinal agents then fair enough, if not then all hell would be breaking loose.

Yes bat **** crazy will feel good but won't get you anywhere in the long run .