If you found out your yard was sedating your horse..

MadBlackLab

Visit site
I would be getting vet out and bloods taken as proof that Sedalin is present in the horses system. Then I would be going the whole hog legally with both yard and vet practice supplying the Sedalin. Make sure you use a different vet to the one the yo uses.

Horse would be getting removed as soon as bloods are taken and would I hell he giving any notice not paying it until bloods are run if they are clean of all medicinal agents then fair enough, if not then all hell would be breaking loose.

Yes bat **** crazy will feel good but won't get you anywhere in the long run .

Like this idea to so you have proof when you go down legal route

MudMudGloriousMud

Visit site
Where do you need livery? I may know someone who could take a couple of short term liveries just so that you can get yours off that yard.

Echo this OP - I know of 3 very good Full livery and 2 nice DIY yards(with optional extra's) in my locality - hell, if it get's your horses off that yard they can bunk in with my girl for a few days - I have the grass and plenty of rugs!!

amandap

Visit site
Sedaline paste - not prescibed by any vet for your horse - 2 to 3 clicks to keep him/her quiet whilst being turned out - pure chance it was discovered.
I think this is disgraceful and completely unacceptable.

When you get your horse to safety get it blood tested and report to previous vets and BHS if yard is registered. I don't know what else you can do not having experience how most yards work.

Where are people getting all these prescription drugs from to use willy nilly? Surely a vet is involved somewhere?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Echo this OP - I know of 3 very good Full livery and 2 nice DIY yards(with optional extra's) in my locality - hell, if it get's your horses off that yard they can bunk in with my girl for a few days - I have the grass and plenty of rugs!!

Thank you and Hexx so much for your kind offers... it is so appreciated - just had confirmation that my 4 can move on Saturday.... 1 is going to my trainers, 1 is going to her old owners for a week or two and the others are going back on DIY at a new yard - and they have 1 more vacancy coming up on the 1st Jan - i give up with this full livery lark - this is the 2nd yard that has not been what they say on the tin - and it is not for me anymore -i want to know what time they go out, what time they come in, what they get fed, by whom and when !

Marydoll

Visit site
Well not with my blessing - they wont be out tomorrow anyway as "there day" was today - and I think i have found a place at almost double the cost that can have them on Saturday.... but how on earth do i know i am not out of the frying pan into the fire... my trust has been destoryed !

Move them and charge the livery to your old yo, or keep all receipts and when you rake their ass over the coals legally re claim until you find a yard in your price range.
You need to tell them that you dont want your horse sedated again or youre being complicit in this.

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
Hope you filmed the horse while he was zonked? I'd have had my vet out to take bloods there and then (acepromazine can be detected in the blood for up to 120 hours after administration so you may still have time to take bloods). You'll probably need more proof than a text msg if you decide to take legal action. If it was me, I absolutely would be doing everything in my power to have the YO prosecuted and put out of business. Obviously, you need to move yards, immediately.

be positive

Visit site
I think this is disgraceful and completely unacceptable.

When you get your horse to safety get it blood tested and report to previous vets and BHS if yard is registered. I don't know what else you can do not having experience how most yards work.

Where are people getting all these prescription drugs from to use willy nilly? Surely a vet is involved somewhere?

It can be easy enough to get drugs although vets have tightened up since the bute in human food made them, I have phoned my vets to ask for sedalin or bute with no problem as long as the named horse is signed out of the food chain and I give a reason to require it, that reason may be to use for clipping, box rest or dental work but it would be easy enough to stockpile some and keep to use whenever the YO felt like it.

Girlracer

Visit site
That is absolutely disgusting, how have you managed to bite your tongue!? I know I wouldn't have (and I would also be grazing my horses on the verge outside, feeling very silly!).

I think get bloods, move, seek legal advice and then make sure anyone who could possibly consider moving their horse to this yard knows what has gone on.

Hope you sort something soon OP.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I have been reliably informed that sedaing horses and ponies at competitions is seen as the normal in some circumstances... this appears to have rolled over into the horses day to day care. How they get the sedlaine i am not sure - but like i say it only gets given to those horses that go out.... and i have been quiet forceful in my request for turnout - especially in this wonderfully mild winter

amandap

Visit site
Great you can move them soon. x

Do you know I am once again so glad I am lucky enough to have mine at home. It may be far from perfect with all the posh trimmings, but I 100% know what goes on and my horses are safe!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I was lucky that i only moved them 1st Dec- so had already been around several yards - so had an idea of what or where there were spaces.... thankfully i did - its is going to be a right pain having horses at 3 different yards for a while.... but hey ho = not much i can do

amandap

Visit site
It can be easy enough to get drugs although vets have tightened up since the bute in human food made them, I have phoned my vets to ask for sedalin or bute with no problem as long as the named horse is signed out of the food chain and I give a reason to require it, that reason may be to use for clipping, box rest or dental work but it would be easy enough to stockpile some and keep to use whenever the YO felt like it.
Oh, right. I've only ever given bute in laminitis following vet visit, never used sedalin.

ps. No choice Gingerwitch. Hope it all works out soon, sometimes there's a silver lining. xxx

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
How they get the sedlaine i am not sure - but like i say it only gets given to those horses that go out.... and i have been quiet forceful in my request for turnout - especially in this wonderfully mild winter
Probably on a big yard it's easy to build up a stock of Sedalin. Just tell a vet it's for clipping etc. and then they stash it away for various nefarious purposes.

Echo the call to get a blood test done as soon as you can.

Glad that you have been able to find an escape route out.

MudMudGloriousMud

Visit site
So glad you have managed to find spaces for your gang!
Having worked on several yards (am now on a private stud) I'm rarely surprised by what goes on when clients aren't around, but routinely doping horses to turn them out is a new one on me!

I would be getting your vet out in the morning to take blood off all 4 of your horses, putting in writing to the yard owner/manager that under no circumstances are your horses to be medicated in any way, informing the yard vet, and the Society of Veterinary Surgeons - https://www.rcvs.org.uk/‎ - of the misuse of POM medications, and seeking legal advice.

Good luck OP xx

dieseldog

Visit site
This is an awful thing to happen and I am glad you have found somewhere to move them, but I'm not sure what you can actually sue for?

MochaDun

Visit site
My chin hit the floor reading this, glad you have found an option to move them. I hope they will all be OK. The only thing that yard needs to sort out is their grazing - they either have way too little or don't appreciate that horses need regular turnout - there's no excuse this year as with the way the weather's been so kind fields are not in a bad way anywhere yet as far as I can ascertain so could have allowed horses a bit more to avoid them getting overexcited when they do go out. I had a well respected vet at Newmarket give me guidance on Sedalin the one time I had to use it on mine (he's a friend's brother) and even he was cautious of overuse when not really required.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
This is an awful thing to happen and I am glad you have found somewhere to move them, but I'm not sure what you can actually sue for?

Using a prescription only drug on your horse without a prescription or permission?

The only trouble is, the vet that gave the drugs to the yard would get in more trouble.

starryeyed

Visit site
Agree with taking bloods so you have that additional proof, are any of the other owners aware of what's going on? - i'm assuming not if you found out by an accidental text. That is just awful. So glad you've found somewhere else for them to go.

TrasaM

Visit site
Just checked on Internet and it costs £15.29 for a 10 ml syringe. If it's a controlled drug I assume anyone administering it without prior permission of the owner and having consulted a suitably qualified medic would be in a lot of trouble.

Pleased you're sorted GW. Now get your evidence together and sue the butt off them. Do the other horse owners realise this is happening ? I'm assuming its nit just your horses who are being treated like this.

Zero00000

Visit site
Can't say more than what already has been said, other than...

Please do not let them get away with it, bloods ASAP, before you move, and start legal action or at least phone BHS for legal advice while you wait for bloods.

Darremi

Visit site
Before you get all over excited and waste money on a lawyer you have to remember that in order to sue somebody for money you have to be able to prove harm. Unless your horse has some ongoing issues as a result of the regular sedation the best you would get is a moral victory, but no money.

Best to chalk it down to experience and move on.

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Crikey, I'd hit the roof! Mine had Sedalin once after weeks of box rest so he wouldn't go nuts being turned out into a small paddock. I cannot comprehend why they think it's ok to do this and at what competition is it standard practice to give Sedalin? Hardly going to help the hore's performance!

LynH

Visit site
I left a yard in heavy snow and turned my horses out full time in February just to get them somewhere safe. The yard manager had been tying up my horse for hours with no access to water just to stop her box walking. I hit the roof when I found her and said it was never to happen again. It kept happening even tying her back up 5 mins after I had left the yard ranting that it was never to happen again. I couldn't believe that even though I had been so angry and adamant that it must never happen again, they did it again immediately. People who can do things like this or sedating your horse without your knowledge should not be allowed to run a yard. In your situation I would have bloods taken and would be speaking to a solicitor as well as the vet who had prescribed the Sedalin, BEVA and every other livery on the yard. I would be doing everything in my power to first ensure the horses safety and then investigating every possible legal recourse available to me.