Info needed - Livery gone bad

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
In surprised he hasn’t had a kicking. Maybe the rules are different where you are but up here that wouldn’t be tolerated. If the police didn’t do anything the males of the persons family would. Gun licence or no gun licence.

If he is doing this to multiple people then to me there is no clear finger pointing if someone did teach him a lesson

:D When I had trouble with an ex starting to get physical, my lovely Scottish mates, male and female had to be dissuaded from riding (on bikes not horses) down from Scotland to Gloucestershire to 'discuss' matters with him.

Apizz2019

Visit site
I think you've said this twice now. Are the police fully aware of these allegations? Just so they can add extortion to the list of alleged offences here. Perhaps that will give them the angle they need to look more closely into the assertion that your friend owes money?

Yes repeatedly. We've even got an ex livery who he was physically aggressive with and a menace, who is willing to make a statement, but it seems they're not interested.

I really wish I were making this all up and none of it were true.

It's beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:

Apizz2019

Visit site
On Amazon you can find personal alarms for about £10. They can make a whole lot of noise, some of them I’ve just seen go up to around 150 dB. I definitely think your friend should get one of those. It might make her feel more safe.

Here in Denmark the police can give victims of stalking a personal alarm that will alert the police asap in case of emergency, but it doesn’t really sound as if the police is very helpful in your friends’ case… But it seems as if some security companies also offer a service like that, maybe it’s worth looking into.

I’ve also just googled and it seems that there are apps for stalking victims where you can collect all evidence in one place, it simple creates a log over events and can then be given to the police. In the app I found you could also create a network of people who can follow where the victim is and will be notified immediately if the victim activates the alarm function.

Thanks so much, I'll get her to take a look at what she can have on her person, phone etc in case she needs it.

Howard Fernandes

New User
Visit site
I've been asked by a member to read this thread and to comment, hopefully constructively.

I'm a 30yr plus years service former Met PC happily retired.

My last 4 years I worked in a busy crime management unit and I know what amounts to a crime and what doesn't, and what action police are required to undertake in the event they are notified of one.

I don't know the full story as I haven't heard what the complainant has told police so I will pitch in at the bottom rung.
Harassment.

This offence was created to enable police to deal with instances of unwanted and unwarranted attention from someone where no other crime appeared to have been committed.

Harassment is a criminal offence under the Public Order Act 1986.

In the first instance where a complainant feels an advance made towards them which in itself may be benign, for example leaving flowers / chocolates at their door and they don't want the attention, the offence is not made out.

No offence of any kind has been committed.

Its not unreasonable behaviour unless the person was aware in advance that doing so was likely to cause the recipient to feel uncomfortable.

In such instances all the police need to do is let the person concerned that their attentions are not appreciated and to refrain from them. Simple note in pocket book ( or whatever they use these days ) to record the allegation and action taken, update the control room. Job done.

If the person concerned has been made aware their behaviour is not appreciated but continues to leave chocolates / flowers or anything else that is unwarranted and unwanted the offence is now complete and a CRIME MUST BE RECORDED.
Home Office Counting Rules.

It must also be investigated and actioned ( as appropriate ), and the victim kept informed of progress and any outcome. ( See 'victims charter' which puts the victims needs / wishes at the centre of crime management ).

From a police officer's perspective I can't see why a crime, with a known perpetrator and supportive victim isn't before a court. That suggests to me there are aspects to this I am not aware of so I make no criticism of the police or the complainant.
I don't know what has transpired.

Our police officers do an impossible job ( seriously, go and try it ), to the best of their ability and in doing so deserve our full support.

I know it is incredibly frustrating if you do not receive the outcome or assistance you expect and possibly are entitled to, and yes you do have the right to go freely about your lawful daily business without fear of violence, BUT for Christ's sake don't make things worse by suggesting taking the law into your own hands. I can guarantee you if you end up in front of a Judge they rightly take an exceedingly dim view of such action and you can expect to receive no quarter...

Complain to your local police and if the behaviour continues keep going back and reporting every instance.
HTH.

It is worth knowing......"If the circumstances of an allegation as described by the victim amount to a crime in law, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, a crime MUST be recorded."
HOCR

If evidence subsequently comes to light to show the contrary, the report can be reclassified as 'No Crime' and the reasons recorded thereon.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Apizz, can the witnesses not insist on making a statement? If they have the incident number could they go into a police station (or online, since there don't seem to be any these days) and link the statement to the alleged crime? It might not expedite the investigation, but in the event he does make another visit, it would already be on record. Maybe Howard above can confirm if that's possible.

Apizz2019

Visit site
I've been asked by a member to read this thread and to comment, hopefully constructively.

I'm a 30yr plus years service former Met PC happily retired.

My last 4 years I worked in a busy crime management unit and I know what amounts to a crime and what doesn't, and what action police are required to undertake in the event they are notified of one.

I don't know the full story as I haven't heard what the complainant has told police so I will pitch in at the bottom rung.
Harassment.

This offence was created to enable police to deal with instances of unwanted and unwarranted attention from someone where no other crime appeared to have been committed.

Harassment is a criminal offence under the Public Order Act 1986.

In the first instance where a complainant feels an advance made towards them which in itself may be benign, for example leaving flowers / chocolates at their door and they don't want the attention, the offence is not made out.

No offence of any kind has been committed.

Its not unreasonable behaviour unless the person was aware in advance that doing so was likely to cause the recipient to feel uncomfortable.

In such instances all the police need to do is let the person concerned that their attentions are not appreciated and to refrain from them. Simple note in pocket book ( or whatever they use these days ) to record the allegation and action taken, update the control room. Job done.

If the person concerned has been made aware their behaviour is not appreciated but continues to leave chocolates / flowers or anything else that is unwarranted and unwanted the offence is now complete and a CRIME MUST BE RECORDED.
Home Office Counting Rules.

It must also be investigated and actioned ( as appropriate ), and the victim kept informed of progress and any outcome. ( See 'victims charter' which puts the victims needs / wishes at the centre of crime management ).

From a police officer's perspective I can't see why a crime, with a known perpetrator and supportive victim isn't before a court. That suggests to me there are aspects to this I am not aware of so I make no criticism of the police or the complainant.
I don't know what has transpired.

Our police officers do an impossible job ( seriously, go and try it ), to the best of their ability and in doing so deserve our full support.

I know it is incredibly frustrating if you do not receive the outcome or assistance you expect and possibly are entitled to, and yes you do have the right to go freely about your lawful daily business without fear of violence, BUT for Christ's sake don't make things worse by suggesting taking the law into your own hands. I can guarantee you if you end up in front of a Judge they rightly take an exceedingly dim view of such action and you can expect to receive no quarter...

Complain to your local police and if the behaviour continues keep going back and reporting every instance.
HTH.

It is worth knowing......"If the circumstances of an allegation as described by the victim amount to a crime in law, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, a crime MUST be recorded."
HOCR

If evidence subsequently comes to light to show the contrary, the report can be reclassified as 'No Crime' and the reasons recorded thereon.

Thank you, this is very helpful.

Here's a time line of events... to make it absolutely clear what the situation is.

Friend moved to said yard on farmers land approx 8 weeks ago.
Rent paid in full for the first month.

No problems during time there. He was a bit strange but nothing untoward.

She handed her notice in 6 weeks later, paid monies owed until the time she was leaving - he actually handed her back £20 as she'd ordered something off the internet for one of his dogs as he 'doesn't do the Internet'.

The day before she left, she called me as she felt a little uncomfortable as this man had told her he was sad she was leaving and wanted to sign his house and land over to her, for her to stay. We naturally made a joke of it as we thought it a little funny.

My friend left on the Saturday while the new livery was moving in. My friend had another friend with her while she moved as she felt uncomfortable in his presence, due to his strange behaviour the prior evening. The farmer got very upset and spoke to our mutual friend and said he was going to ask her to move in with him.

All very odd but nothing more than that.

On the following Monday, while my friend was as work, the farmer turned up and started screaming and shouting about monies owed. He was asked to leave the premises by my friend and the business owner. He did not and said 'call the police, I don't care'. A call to the police was made but they did not show - maybe because my friend didn't use the right language to say how scared she was.

He remained at the workplace for approximately 2 hours. Then he left and went to the garage where my friend had recently traded in a small lorry in exchange for work to be done on her big lorry. He demanded that the garage owner give him my friends small lorry as she owed him money. The garage owner asked the farmer to leave and he did.

The garage owner let my friend know and she called the police back to log this.

That evening, the police called the farmer to advise him of the small claims route, if my friend did indeed owe him money. He was told by the police he was not to contact her or attempt to contact her directly or indirectly, or he would be arrested.

The very next day, Tuesday, he arrived at my friends new livery yard while she was at work and caused a scene with the livery yard owner and husband, ranting about her owing money. He then left the livery yard and went back to the garage to again demand my friends old lorry as payment. While there, he also stated to the garage owner that 'when she talks to me, I melt'. Clearly this is about some sick fantasy he has, not monies that are not owed.

My friend called the police again to say what had happened and that he hadn't heeded their warning etc. She also stated that she was scared, to the point of changing her horses routine as she was scared he was going to hurt them.

The police attended my friends place of work this Friday just gone, to take a statement and then contacted the farmer to invite him to a voluntary interview, which took place yesterday.

The police called my friend after the interview and stated that this farmer is adamant she owed him money and that is the crux of the matter, when we know it isn't, and the police have been told every possible detail. Oh, and she has now stolen his pitchfork apparently.

They have not taken a statement from her employer, the livery yard owner or the garage owner.

In the meantime, we have sought to gain as much information as we can and have found a number of people, all females, who have had varying experiences with this individual over the years. Most of which we suspect haven't been reported and most of whom have paid him money they haven't owed, to try to get him to leave them alone.

One lady is so scared, 10 odd years later, that she would only talk to us and provide very limited information via a friend, through fear of being identified, and has moved yards multiple times, her horse was shot (whether that was him or not is a question we don't think will ever be answered) and she even had to move house.

My friend hasn't slept well since this started - she's even having nightmares, and she has told the police how scared she is and yet he's allowed to do whatever he likes, or so it seems.

I can only hope he moves onto his next victim, as horrid as that sounds, as I fear for my friends safety and any female that has contact with him.

A formal complaint has been put in to the police, one which I hope is take seriously, as this cannot be allowed to happen.

That said, I have had first hand experience of Northants police with my daughter and her abusive ex-boyfriend and also had to put in a complaint as that seemed to be dealt with in a 'brush it under the carpet' manner. Possibly because her ex-boyfriend was an ex Nothants officers son.
We had neighbour witness statements from when he put our back door in, statements of him beating her up, smashing up her work van but nothing, not a jot came from it and she too lived in fear for a long time. Until he decided to drive down our street one evening and rev his engine, shout abuse etc to which my partner went outside and put his windscreen through. Funnily enough, the harrassment came to an abrupt halt as he too only understood rough justice.

I won't take matters into my own hands, nor will anyone else, however, I would not stand by and sit back if I thought my friend were in danger, or any human for that matter!

I wish there was more to the story as it would make sense as to what has triggered him. But this is all there is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

Apizz2019

Visit site
Apizz, can the witnesses not insist on making a statement? If they have the incident number could they go into a police station (or online, since there don't seem to be any these days) and link the statement to the alleged crime? It might not expedite the investigation, but in the event he does make another visit, it would already be on record. Maybe Howard above can confirm if that's possible.

Possibly but I wonder if it might need to be a seperate report?

Fransurrey

Visit site
Possibly but I wonder if it might need to be a seperate report?
Shouldn't be. I've given a statement in response to a call for witnesses in the past and just needed the incident number. In those days, we had a police station (!), so I made an appointment and went in. Had to do the oath bit and an officer transcribed everything I said. I signed it and that was it!

Howard Fernandes

New User
Visit site

Here's a time line of events... to make it absolutely clear what the situation is.

She handed her notice in 6 weeks later, paid monies owed until the time she was leaving - he actually handed her back £20 as she'd ordered something off the internet for one of his dogs as he 'doesn't do the Internet'.

The day before she left, she called me as she felt a little uncomfortable as this man had told her he was sad she was leaving and wanted to sign his house and land over to her, for her to stay. We naturally made a joke of it as we thought it a little funny.

My friend left on the Saturday while the new livery was moving in. My friend had another friend with her while she moved as she felt uncomfortable in his presence, due to his strange behaviour the prior evening. The farmer got very upset and spoke to our mutual friend and said he was going to ask her to move in with him.

On the following Monday, while my friend was as work, the farmer turned up and started screaming and shouting about monies owed. He was asked to leave the premises by my friend and the business owner. He did not and said 'call the police, I don't care'. A call to the police was made but they did not show - maybe because my friend didn't use the right language to say how scared she was.

He remained at the workplace for approximately 2 hours. Then he left and went to the garage where my friend had recently traded in a small lorry in exchange for work to be done on her big lorry. He demanded that the garage owner give him my friends small lorry as she owed him money. The garage owner asked the farmer to leave and he did.

That evening, the police called the farmer to advise him of the small claims route, if my friend did indeed owe him money. He was told by the police he was not to contact her or attempt to contact her directly or indirectly, or he would be arrested.

The very next day, Tuesday, he arrived at my friends new livery yard while she was at work and caused a scene with the livery yard owner and husband, ranting about her owing money. He then left the livery yard and went back to the garage to again demand my friends old lorry as payment. While there, he also stated to the garage owner that 'when she talks to me, I melt'. Clearly this is about some sick fantasy he has, not monies that are not owed.

My friend called the police again to say what had happened and that he hadn't heeded their warning etc. She also stated that she was scared, to the point of changing her horses routine as she was scared he was going to hurt them.

The police attended my friends place of work this Friday just gone, to take a statement and then contacted the farmer to invite him to a voluntary interview, which took place yesterday.

The police called my friend after the interview and stated that this farmer is adamant she owed him money and that is the crux of the matter, when we know it isn't, and the police have been told every possible detail. Oh, and she has now stolen his pitchfork apparently.

They have not taken a statement from her employer, the livery yard owner or the garage owner.

In the meantime, we have sought to gain as much information as we can and have found a number of people, all females, who have had varying experiences with this individual over the years. Most of which we suspect haven't been reported and most of whom have paid him money they haven't owed, to try to get him to leave them alone.

One lady is so scared, 10 odd years later, that she would only talk to us and provide very limited information via a friend, through fear of being identified, and has moved yards multiple times, her horse was shot (whether that was him or not is a question we don't think will ever be answered) and she even had to move house.

My friend hasn't slept well since this started - she's even having nightmares, and she has told the police how scared she is and yet he's allowed to do whatever he likes, or so it seems.

I can only hope he moves onto his next victim, as horrid as that sounds, as I fear for my friends safety and any female that has contact with him.

A formal complaint has been put in to the police, one which I hope is take seriously, as this cannot be allowed to happen.

That said, I have had first hand experience of Northants police with my daughter and her abusive ex-boyfriend and also had to put in a complaint as that seemed to be dealt with in a 'brush it under the carpet' manner. Possibly because her ex-boyfriend was an ex Nothants officers son.
We had neighbour witness statements from when he put our back door in, statements of him beating her up, smashing up her work van but nothing, not a jot came from it and she too lived in fear for a long time. Until he decided to drive down our street one evening and rev his engine, shout abuse etc to which my partner went outside and put his windscreen through. Funnily enough, the harrassment came to an abrupt halt as he too only understood rough justice.

I won't take matters into my own hands, nor will anyone else, however, I would not stand by and sit back if I thought my friend were in danger, or any human for that matter!

I wish there was more to the story as it would make sense as to what has triggered him. But this is all there is. Nothing more, nothing less.

It appears the police are following established procedure and yes, they may well be unaware of previous issues if they were not reported by victims. I don't for a second imagine the suspect has not been 'run through the computer' but previous unreported history is exactly that. If what you have posted here is on record, I imagine alarm bells would be ringing with the officer dealing with the matter.

Whether the garage owner, employer, livery yard owner or previous alleged victims wish substantiate or have reported anything would likely have a bearing on what action police can take in this matter.

Again I can't comment from any authority either way.
Its not my investigation and Im not privvy to the facts.

It's the same with the Ex Northants Officers son and your daughter.
I do know I wouldn't risk my liberty, job and house by perverting the course of justice for anyone.

If he alleges she took his pitch fork and there is no evidence she can forget it.

Victims of previously unreported crimes are free to disclose them to police if they so wish.

onemoretime

Visit site

God what dreadful situation to find yourself in!

Apizz2019

Visit site
Shouldn't be. I've given a statement in response to a call for witnesses in the past and just needed the incident number. In those days, we had a police station (!), so I made an appointment and went in. Had to do the oath bit and an officer transcribed everything I said. I signed it and that was it!

Thank you - I'll let my friend know.

Apizz2019

Visit site
As a woman, I'm sick of the police's 'Come back when he's murdered you and then we'll consider taking it seriously' approach.

It's lazy, and it's fundamentally misogynistic.

I feel for the police, they have an incredibly tough job that many wouldn't do and it can't be easy. But they're not doing their job in this instance. If I didn't do my job, I'd be in hot water!

It seems they have a 'we won't do anything but don't you do anything either' kind of attitude.

I can say with 100% certainty, if he approaches my friend in my presence, effing, jeffing and behaving aggressively, he will not be getting back in his truck anytime soon.

Griffin

Visit site
I have just caught up with this thread, your poor friend @Apizz2019 and all those other women too. Sadly, the attitude of Northamptonshire Police does not surprise me with regards to this situation and these sorts of men are very good at playing the "She's a hysterical woman" card and people in authority almost always believe them. The police, government, even the NHS are full of misogyny, it makes my blood boil.

What is security like at your friend's house? Does this man know her address? If so, I would be investing in some home CCTV very quickly (I particularly like my Ring video doorbell because you don't even have to open the door to see and speak to someone and it records what is going on). Motion detected security lights are also useful and you can buy solar powered ones quite cheaply.

Personally, I would be tempted to move the horse somewhere else that he doesn't know about. I would continue to complain to the police, definitely the chief constable and also the PCC and her local MP. It may also worth her going to her GP because that is another record to show the distress caused by the situation and they may be able to refer her for counselling if she would like it.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I have a brilliant little wi-fi run camera which was £25 - you put an SD card in for recording, the image is awesome day and night and it does two-way talk and a horrible alarm, Tapo Link 200 I think. Fab CCTV device you can point out of the window and monitor from your phone. Perfect for anyone ona budget. Get a couple of £4.50 personal alarms (I have the real ear-splitters) and link them together (but you'll probably be deafened too).

Apizz2019

Visit site
I have just caught up with this thread, your poor friend @Apizz2019 and all those other women too. Sadly, the attitude of Northamptonshire Police does not surprise me with regards to this situation and these sorts of men are very good at playing the "She's a hysterical woman" card and people in authority almost always believe them. The police, government, even the NHS are full of misogyny, it makes my blood boil.

What is security like at your friend's house? Does this man know her address? If so, I would be investing in some home CCTV very quickly (I particularly like my Ring video doorbell because you don't even have to open the door to see and speak to someone and it records what is going on). Motion detected security lights are also useful and you can buy solar powered ones quite cheaply.

Personally, I would be tempted to move the horse somewhere else that he doesn't know about. I would continue to complain to the police, definitely the chief constable and also the PCC and her local MP. It may also worth her going to her GP because that is another record to show the distress caused by the situation and they may be able to refer her for counselling if she would like it.

Thanks so much for your support.

My friend is alone at night as her partner works night shifts, she's pretty secure though and he doesn't know where she lives, thankfully.

She's had a response to her complaint tonight.

Watch this space... ??

Apizz2019

Visit site
I have a brilliant little wi-fi run camera which was £25 - you put an SD card in for recording, the image is awesome day and night and it does two-way talk and a horrible alarm, Tapo Link 200 I think. Fab CCTV device you can point out of the window and monitor from your phone. Perfect for anyone ona budget. Get a couple of £4.50 personal alarms (I have the real ear-splitters) and link them together (but you'll probably be deafened too).

Thanks so much! ❤️

Griffin

Visit site
Thanks so much for your support.

My friend is alone at night as her partner works night shifts, she's pretty secure though and he doesn't know where she lives, thankfully.

She's had a response to her complaint tonight.

Watch this space... ??

I am glad he doesn't know her address, that would be a worry.

I really hope that her complaint has spurred the police into action. I am so angry on her behalf that this is not being taken seriously. I have everything crossed for her.