Introducing the spotty sprog!

Jinx94

Visit site
So this is the little cutie that'll be walking/trotting/throwing himself off of the ramp tomorrow! Fingers crossed he'll be chilled out and walk off relatively calmly :)

6thjan068_zps71754d28.jpg

How can I still be frustrated by livery when I look at this face?

6thjan064_zps3545f4f8.jpg

I cannot wait :D

Yesterday he had a whole host of new experiences:

-First time walking on the end of a leadrop (apparently was not nervous or skitty, just sulked and threw himself in heaps)
-That resulted in him getting covered in mud so he had his first bath
-And his first time in a rug (sweat rug to help him dry off)
-Then his second time walking out
-He behaved perfectly so they tried a little trot which apparently also went perfectly :D
-He also had his first visit from the vet, had flu and tetanus jabs and was microchipped

And is still a little gent today when he was brought out to get photos for me!!

So proud of my little sprog!!! :D <3 xxx

Shady

Visit site
just caught up reading this in between making soup!( make a lot of soup here in the wilderness!)
your happiness is lovely to read and i think your spotty botty boy is gorgeous!, there's the most wonderful spotty mare near me with half a brown face and i'd like to buy her just because looking at her would make me smile everyday.
i remember how excited i was waiting for my Shadow to arrive, never peed so much in my life, i wish you all the luck Jinx and i will enjoy seeing pics as your boy grows.

Jinx94

Visit site
Thank you everyone!! He's due to arrive at 2:15pm and I can't wait!!! :D

Shady, a horse that they bred a few years ago sounds a little similar - he was almost completely leopard spot except for a huge splash of bay down one side of his head, neck and shoulder!

I don't know how long he'll be a blanket spot for.. You can see bits of grey on his face and around his ears, so it'll be interesting to see how he looks once he loses his winter coat!!

This is all so exciting!!! :D

Jinx94

Visit site
He's here! And such a sweetheart!! I lead him 200-300 yards from where he came off the lorry (he was a bit nervous about the ramp) to his new field that he shares with four 8 month olds, a 3 year old and an ex broodmare. We only had one occasion when he showed off a teeny air above the ground :p and to be fair to him he had some fairly large horses on either side of the track hooning around. Bearing in mind he was lead for the first time on Monday, he was an absolute angel! And so dinky!!!

Here are some photos:

10342885_10205614544672167_9209791113045366417_n_zps7acffff9.jpg

He'd just been turned out, a little unsure of wher he was and who he was with.

10926398_10205614545392185_7019301960700060824_n_zps9f168d2a.jpg

Thinking of checking out the field and other horses.

1907926_10205614560352559_4345131266513968498_n_zps75cc4b24.jpg

"I don't know what to do, but I know you and I think you're okay"

10929026_10205614583633141_3837027305410719428_n_zps68bf9e9d.jpg

And a little bit of herd interaction :)

I am so unbelievably happy!! :D So much love for my little sprog!!! <3

Jinx94

Visit site
I really am :) it feels quite surreal at the moment - I don't know if I actually remember all of the walk from the lorry to the field! I was in a bit of a "oh my god, I have my foal" stupor :')

Jinx94

Visit site
I want him!!

Glad you like him :)

Went to see him today (couldn't go yesterday as there wasn't any light before or after work) with a leadrope in case I magically managed to catch him, but I wasn't expecting it to happen. In fact I expected that I wouldn't be able to get anywhere near him, so the fact that I was able to stand within six feet of him and he just kept on grazing was great :) He turned in towards me a couple of times and twice he took a couple of steps forward, so I'm really happy :) progress is progress and I'll be appreciating every bit of it!

He seems to be ffairly settled with his new herd, is good friends with the other colt and it looks like he's enjoyed the mud!!

IMG_0106_zps904c0d1e.jpg

IMG_0103_zps34197878.jpg

IMG_0105_zps8f337663.jpg

Auslander

Visit site
Jinx - he's lovely! I approve!
It makes me a bit nervous that he's out in a synthetic headcollar - he'd be safer in an old leather one (which you can pick up for next to nothing!) - they are SO good at getting themselves into scrapes!

Jinx94

Visit site
Thanks everyone :) you might find that you get a bit sick of the updates!! :p

Auslander, I completely agree with you! As far as I was aware, he was coming with a leather or field safe slip, but he came with this and the YO wanted it left on just in case they need to get hold of him. As soon as I can catch him and touch all around his ears and face, a leather one will be going on and that will be off and going in the wash!

Jinx94

Visit site
Thank you :)

So proud of him this morning!! I went into the field, called him and clicked my tongue a couple of times which got everyones attention, and he was the first to start walking over! I decided that it would be better to encourage him to approach me rather than approaching him myself.

I was soon swarmed by Yo's 8 month old future eventers, Tristan moved more cautiously and paused a little bit further away before joining the group.

IMG_0109_zpsd49e19ec.jpg

IMG_0110_zpsbf238da7.jpg

I walked away from where I was at that point and stood a bit further away, just wondering if he would come over again or if the first time was a bit of a fluke, and he came and stood within about four feet of me!! This was after carefully considering whether he would be safe leaving the side of the boss filly :p

IMG_0113_zpsbcd4889c.jpg

IMG_0124_zps165da808.jpg

Very very very happy with my little sprog! I'm hoping that he'll feel comfortable standing next to me by the end of the week, not necessarily touching, just standing comfortably :)

Fingers crossed I can pop his leather slip on soon!

Jinx94

Visit site
Such a happy bunny! I have so much love for my little man!!

It's taken four weeks, but I've finally caught my little spotty sprog!! He's such a gent!! Took so much patience, but I definitely have a much greater appreciation for people who have weanlings on a semi regular basis. I think that even though I was sure I knew it would take time, I was still pretty naiive about just how much time and patience it would take.

Thank you so much to all the supportive posters on this thread! And I'm blimmin glad that I was bonkers enough to buy this lovely lad!!

IMG_0316_zpskdcrlzmq.jpg

IMG_0310_zpsjxvjbgny.jpg

IMG_0305_zpsxxqej7pp.jpg

IMG_0283_zpsbe9p5upn.jpg

IMG_0214_zpsjevavvun.jpg

IMG_0191_zpslwz3lvte.jpg

IMG_0196_zpsqomwnr5i.jpg

Jinx94

Visit site
In theory 15hh, I'll do the string test once he's a year old but he's so dinky atm!! Then again, he has a few half siblings around 16hh, so he could be anything :p

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
He's very cute.

The headcollar seems pretty tight on his nose, though. They need adjusting very frequently at this age, and a leather one would be safer.

I know of several adult horses with a permanent 'dint' left by a too tight headcollar when young.