Irresponsible Owners

Indy

Visit site
I had similar when I was man trailing with my GSD, a couple with a working cocker they couldn't catch decided the best thing to do was to lob a ball straight past us so my poor dog had a ball and a dog flying past her, amazingly she ignored them and carried on working.
Mantrailing does seem to prepare you for every eventuality I find

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Yes, that's true, but I was thinking would looking like one be enough?
If it wasn't actually a pure Dogo I mean.
If it was a cross breed that looked similar, for example an xl bully crossed with a Great Dane, would produce something of that size, and I'd hope would come under xl regulations.

Jenko109

Visit site
You would assume, although I dont actually know, that if they have set guidelines on measurements for pitbulls and also set measurements for XL types, then they would have the same for the other banned breeds?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I was just hearing today about an XL cross somewhere very near me. Bitch under a year, has apparently escaped her garden twice, once into a field of sheep behind her house. Not done any damage as apparently good tempered. However the owner was walking it on an extending lead and it wrapped the lead round a woman and brought her crashing down. She has a rope burn across her shoulder and is very bruised. Her husband is furious especially as it lives next door to them. They are worried that it might get into their garden when their little dog is out there. Personally I would be reporting it to the dog warden at the very least. I think they are wary of falling out with the neighbours.

Mrs B

Visit site
Heard a kerfuffle in the garden, and Mr B shouting ... (For info, next door are lovely people, have an Airbnb.)

Guests' large labby was in our garden, chasing one of our cats up and down.

Owners had followed but on being asked to get their dog in no uncertain terms, retorted "Don't be stupid, he won't hurt him!"
Not sure my poor cat saw it that way!

As Mr B said afterwards, if they'd responded with 'OMG! Sorry!' and attempted to get dog back, no worries. It happens.

BUT they couldn't see a problem.

ETA I love (well-behaved) dogs!

Last edited:

Smitty

Visit site
Just come back from camping on a working farm. Very few rules but one was all dogs to be on leads and another was pick up after your dog.

So why did the lovely people next door to me decide this didnt apply to them ( or me, as they were eager for me to let my boy off) and their dog did a huge dump outide of my van, which was unnoticed.

Clodagh

Visit site
Heard a kerfuffle in the garden, and Mr B shouting ... (For info, next door are lovely people, have an Airbnb.)

Guests' large labby was in our garden, chasing one of our cats up and down.

Owners had followed but on being asked to get their dog in no uncertain terms, retorted "Don't be stupid, he won't hurt him!"
Not sure my poor cat saw it that way!

As Mr B said afterwards, if they'd responded with 'OMG! Sorry!' and attempted to get dog back, no worries. It happens.

BUT they couldn't see a problem.

ETA I love (well-behaved) dogs!
I hope Mr B explained to them, in nice easy to understand language, the problem he had with their POV.

oldandgold

Visit site
Hope they find the owner/dog and prosecute.

Got 3 owners all on separate days
Owner 1 - watching dog pooing in park and goes to walk off - shouted do you need a bag? - he did return to pick it up, but why couldn't he pick it up in the first place.
Owner 2 - sitting at traffic lights, car pulls up at side of me and there is a large black dog - not sure of breed, but it's head was bigger than a rotties - on the front seat with not only it's head on out of the window, but it's front feet were hanging over the door.
Owner 3 - walking in park, see a guy walking with 2 large breed dogs - 1 bogs off into the next field, guy keeps walking, not watching the other dog at all. It did eventually return, only for the guy to walk off and leave it to go in another direction.

Is it so difficult for people to be responsible, clear up after their dogs and keep them under control.

Celtic Jewel

Visit site
my neighbours got a Irish red setter puppy have very young kids oldest is 14 years old and seems to be doing all the walking and training. They aren’t an active family and parents seem to have no interest in walking the dog. Dog sleeps outside at night in a box and is inside during the day . Idk how the 14 year old is going to manage the dog when he’s at school as it currently requires 4 walks a day . I personally want to give my opinion but they aren’t the type of people you can suggest anything.

I'm Dun

Visit site
my neighbours got a Irish red setter puppy have very young kids oldest is 14 years old and seems to be doing all the walking and training. They aren’t an active family and parents seem to have no interest in walking the dog. Dog sleeps outside at night in a box and is inside during the day . Idk how the 14 year old is going to manage the dog when he’s at school as it currently requires 4 walks a day . I personally want to give my opinion but they aren’t the type of people you can suggest anything.

I grew up with red setters, they are bonkers! But I do remember them being amazing family dogs, and my very misty childhood memories I don't think they needed hours and hours of walking. They seemed to be somewhere between a pet lab and a spaniel for energy etc. I hope they work it out. I have the fondest memories of the 3 that grew up with me.

Chippers1

Visit site
Ours is an English not Irish but she doesn't require hours of walking, she's quite happy having a snooze on the sofa however she really needed the work put in as a puppy and definitely wouldn't be happy sleeping outside :( not the best choice of dog for that family.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Just had a guy watch his dog have a lavish dump, look behind him to see if anyone’s around so he doesn’t have to pick it up, clock me (he’d been on his phone so hadn’t noticed we were coming up behind) and do an absolute comedy bodily dive tackle on his dog to get it on a lead and off the path, with some performative poo bag production thrown in. I did thank him profusely for giving us space to pass but I was creasing up the whole time, it seemed a huge overreaction, he nearly flattened the poor thing.

fiwen30

Visit site
Nominating my co-worker and formally quite good friend.

His 10 year old shih tzu went spontaneously lame in the back end a few months ago, diagnosed as a ruptured cruciate - uninsured. He and his partner were given all the options for surgery, which is well within their joint budget, but they’ve opted to ‘let it heal’.

I’ve got Opinions on conservative management for cruciate injuries, so at this point I ducked out of the conversation and have kept my mouth shut about it all, but from what he’s said their version of conservative management is to just ignore the injury all together. The dog has still been allowed to jump on furniture, go up and down stairs, run on slippy flooring…

Today he tells me that the poor dog now can’t walk at all.

I ask if he wants the resources I gathered about cruciate operations and rehab when my lad went through his op, and I was told no - that the original leg ‘had healed’, it was the other back leg this time; ‘it’s his hip’.

I observe that up to 50% of 2nd cruciates rupture within a few years of the first, and he asks for those links.

I feel so so sorry for their poor little dog. If he had had surgery with the initial rupture, he could have been recovered and on a good path with rehab to cope with whatever secondary lameness is happening with his other leg.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Saw an extraordinary amount of cockers whilst in France, all of which appeared to have had no training and were leaping around like fish on a line. Very curious. Also met a beautiful English setter, asked if I could say hello and had a stroke. 😍

Titchy Pony

Visit site
I seem to have a bit of a run lately.

Nearly every time I go into the office I see a middle aged man walking what appears to be a very aged golden retriever. The poor dog is extremely lame as well as overweight. The dog is walked in a harness but is so slow that the man is always in front of him, pulling the harness up behind the dog's head. The man isn't exactly dragging the dog along but he is still going too fast for the poor dog. TBH honest, the dog looks like he either needs veterinary intervention or most likely, if he is as old as he looks, PTS. This is in the town center, so maybe there is no garden for the dog to do his business in, and maybe that's why he is taken to the green but I feel so sad every time I see this dog.

Closer to home, it's twice I've taken overweight Aussie home now. I want to cry every time I see her, she's a lovely dog but totally neglected. She is so fat she is square and has a "hood" of fat behind her head. She is also very matted. The second time I took her home (reluctantly - I had just got home from work and wanted to sort mine out, not the neighbours' dog, but couldn't leave her in the road) I chatted with the owners. They are nice people but just shouldn't own a dog. I mentioned that it was twice that the dog had been on my road that week and that it is dangerous. Neighbour complained that dog was always escaping and that he would need to build a tall fence so I said that was a very good idea (they've "only" had the dog 4 years, so I'm not holding my breath). I also said she was dangerously overweight. The vet had already told them, but the mother in law gives the dog butter on toast every morning when she's there and the dog gets fed by all the other neighbours she visits... It would help if they actually exercised her. She only gets the odd short, slow walk when the weather's nice.

And talking about nice weather, everyone who never walks their dog is now out! I took Monster for a short late night walk (after 10pm) last night and as I was coming home, this massive, off-lead, black dog appears at the top of the hill not far from my gate and starts barking at us. I didn't recognise him in the dark, but when his owner finally appeared and called him (ineffectively) I recognised his name. He was the oversized, overweight black lab that lives opposite my parents. You would think the owner would at least attempt to put him back on a lead. No, don't be silly, that would require more effort than a half hearted "here, dog". So there's me, dragging an annoyed Monster back the way we came to turn off down a side lane out of the way. Monster is very reactive in the village to other dogs. He thinks the village roads belong to him and only authorised dogs are allowed on them. He totally ignores dogs in their own gardens barking at the gate though. TBF, we meet so few people out walking that its rarely an issue and he is a lot less reactive if I take him somewhere in a car. Owner takes her own sweet time walking past the end of the lane we'd sheltered down, barely glancing at her dog that came quite close and barked at us. I ended up using my best don't mess with me voice "Hé alors!" (sorry to the neighbours enjoying a late evening meal outside) and he did turn back. Monster was quite good: he stared but didn't kick off. But I know that lab is over 40kg and I have seen 3 adults struggle to hold him when he tried to come and see the horse when I was out riding. I did NOT want to end up in the middle of a dog fight between him and Monster.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I seem to have a bit of a run lately.

Nearly every time I go into the office I see a middle aged man walking what appears to be a very aged golden retriever. The poor dog is extremely lame as well as overweight. The dog is walked in a harness but is so slow that the man is always in front of him, pulling the harness up behind the dog's head. The man isn't exactly dragging the dog along but he is still going too fast for the poor dog. TBH honest, the dog looks like he either needs veterinary intervention or most likely, if he is as old as he looks, PTS. This is in the town center, so maybe there is no garden for the dog to do his business in, and maybe that's why he is taken to the green but I feel so sad every time I see this dog.

Closer to home, it's twice I've taken overweight Aussie home now. I want to cry every time I see her, she's a lovely dog but totally neglected. She is so fat she is square and has a "hood" of fat behind her head. She is also very matted. The second time I took her home (reluctantly - I had just got home from work and wanted to sort mine out, not the neighbours' dog, but couldn't leave her in the road) I chatted with the owners. They are nice people but just shouldn't own a dog. I mentioned that it was twice that the dog had been on my road that week and that it is dangerous. Neighbour complained that dog was always escaping and that he would need to build a tall fence so I said that was a very good idea (they've "only" had the dog 4 years, so I'm not holding my breath). I also said she was dangerously overweight. The vet had already told them, but the mother in law gives the dog butter on toast every morning when she's there and the dog gets fed by all the other neighbours she visits... It would help if they actually exercised her. She only gets the odd short, slow walk when the weather's nice.

And talking about nice weather, everyone who never walks their dog is now out! I took Monster for a short late night walk (after 10pm) last night and as I was coming home, this massive, off-lead, black dog appears at the top of the hill not far from my gate and starts barking at us. I didn't recognise him in the dark, but when his owner finally appeared and called him (ineffectively) I recognised his name. He was the oversized, overweight black lab that lives opposite my parents. You would think the owner would at least attempt to put him back on a lead. No, don't be silly, that would require more effort than a half hearted "here, dog". So there's me, dragging an annoyed Monster back the way we came to turn off down a side lane out of the way. Monster is very reactive in the village to other dogs. He thinks the village roads belong to him and only authorised dogs are allowed on them. He totally ignores dogs in their own gardens barking at the gate though. TBF, we meet so few people out walking that its rarely an issue and he is a lot less reactive if I take him somewhere in a car. Owner takes her own sweet time walking past the end of the lane we'd sheltered down, barely glancing at her dog that came quite close and barked at us. I ended up using my best don't mess with me voice "Hé alors!" (sorry to the neighbours enjoying a late evening meal outside) and he did turn back. Monster was quite good: he stared but didn't kick off. But I know that lab is over 40kg and I have seen 3 adults struggle to hold him when he tried to come and see the horse when I was out riding. I did NOT want to end up in the middle of a dog fight between him and Monster.
Would they give you the aussie? I'd want to rescue her, poor dog.

Titchy Pony

Visit site
Would they give you the aussie? I'd want to rescue her, poor dog.
Oh, I wish. I've tried hinting about that before but never got anywhere. I can't really afford a third dog at the moment but I'd still have her in a heartbeat if I could. It's not like she'd need a lot of food for a while. The contrast is just so jarring next to my own little aussie, slim, shiny and full of energy (despite needing more brushing, but we're working on that. I'm still waiting for the "let's eat the brush" phase to end...)
Perhaps I could volunteer holiday care and see if I could "appropriate" her by stealth... It worked for the chicken.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
This is a words fail me one! Daughter has just got a lurcher puppy, gorgeous little thing but obviously still getting used to everything a new home entails. The breeder set up a puppy Whats App group and has just posted that one of the litter has been returned by her new owners because "she would not settle" , they'd had her 3 days :mad: