Is anyone else not entirely convinced by the Horse Hoarders plight?

Moomin1

Visit site
Err please tell me where I have ever said they shouldn't be? Stop trying to just argue about the rspca fgs, this is about suffering horses

Amaranta

Visit site
I am absolutely horrified by this, but would like to ask the question:

Why did the RSPCA not do something FIVE years ago?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I did wonder whether that incident was what the court case referred to, not sure how long it would have taken to bring to court.

FionaM12

Visit site
This forum's a strange place.

A few days ago, the theme was, poor Clwyd davies, lovely man, evil RSPCA being mena to him.

Now it's omg Clwyd Davies was so cruel! Evil RSPCA not acting soon enough. :rolleyes:

FionaM12

Visit site
Be interesting to know what the programme makers make of this 'possible' turn of events, and the rspca response....

I doubt they care. The crew made an entertaining film, and probably knew much more but chose to take one side only. They didn't actually lie, just carefully edited. I shouldn't think horse welfare's that big a deal to them.

It was an appealing angle, the little guy down on his luck against powerful authority. The announcer before it started even said it was asking do we care more about animals than people.

Or am I just cynical?

Copperpot

Visit site
I never thought poor Clwyd. I thought poor horses. He had a choice as to how he lives, they don't. Call me cynical but I don't believe for a minute he knows nothing about worming and proper horse care. I know he has had a tragic incident in loosing his daughter but, other people have experienced the same and it's no excuse to let animals suffer because of it.

sherry90

Visit site
The thing that worries me most is the 'sheeple' saying that many are believing photos that are not yet verified to be Clwyds horses shown. Yet, they happily follow the others to praise him and Michelle and some even laugh about the bath scene saying he will soon bring his own 'woodland bath range'? I feel it is all snow balling into a Facebook band wagon that will soon die down. However, his horses will still continue to suffer.
He doesn't need money for food, shelter or clothes. He gets a pension, if he went to his local council he could potentially get assistance from them for shelter etc. the horses on the other hand rely on people to care for them which he is not doing.
I think the best thing for the RSPCA to do would be to seize them all (not sure they have the legal power), failing that, a Judge needs to court order him to be prohibited from owning any animal for life. Im afraid it would boil down to survival of the fittest in that herd now and it seems the weaker one met its fate :(
I also agree that the RSPCA's loading technique left a lot to be desired but I squirmed at the way in which Michelle and friend pulled the other into the stable by its tail. Surely that would cause some contortion of the spine?! Or at least some future handling problems.
Some people are writing him letters of support! Support for what, why would a horse lover support someone who has caused so many counts of neglect! It's beyond me!

Copperpot

Visit site
Lol. I had to reply to some girl on there who said said he respected Clwyd for going without to care for his horses. Pointed out his horses rather went without as well and I don't respect people who let horses suffer.

FionaM12

Visit site
Lol. I had to reply to some girl on there who said said he respected Clwyd for going without to care for his horses. Pointed out his horses rather went without as well and I don't respect people who let horses suffer.

You do know you'll get banned, don't you? :D Don't diss the "Welsh hero" or "the new Monty Roberts" as I've seen him called on there. :rolleyes:

guesstimation

Visit site

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd like Michelle/someone to mention what the prosecutions were for if these were not it then. Presumably possibly the march 2011 when she says some were in poor condition?

FionaM12

Visit site

Yes, it seems she can't say the photos aren't Clwyd's ponies as she didn't know him then but she doubts it. Makes some dark noises about his solicitor and a smear campaign. Also says Clwyd didn't understand how to worm horses (despite decades of being reputable horse breeder) :eek:

All the doubters have been dumped off the group and everyone's on about what a hero he is again. :rolleyes: It's madness. :D

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
Michelle Crowther
Regarding the horrible photographs posted on some forums -

I will not defend anybody's right to allow horses to live and die in these conditions.

Without speaking to Clwyd I cannot confirm whether or not they were Clwyd's horses. However I doubt it because there would have been evidence of a prosecution at this time and there is none. That the RSPCA were called and ignored such cruelty seems most unlikely.

The photographs and posts have been copied and sent to Clwyd's solicitor. It seems likely that they are evidence of a smear campaign.

However, I met Clwyd in June 2009 and have never seen conditions like that in the time I have known him. In Feb/March 2011 some of his horses were in very poor condition and needed some intervention. One problem was inadequate worming because Clwyd did not understand the different types of worms and how to treat them properly. We addressed this as quickly as possible and the condition of the horses improved. A further problem was the number of colts. We targeted these and brought them to the rescue centre for taming, worming, microchipping, passporting etc. In total 30 beautiful, healthy, useful horses and ponies were rehomed. Currently Clwyd has 22 horses which are in beautiful condition. We still have approximately 12 to catch and rehome, leaving Clwyd hopefully with less than 10 older mares and no stallion.

My remit has been at all times to help Clwyd to help his horses which he does indeed love.

amandap

Visit site
I am absolutely horrified by this, but would like to ask the question:

Why did the RSPCA not do something FIVE years ago?
If these are photos of this mans horses at a previous farm then I agree.

Whoever the horses in those photos belong to the photos show past and ongoing severe neglect and suffering and surely there is a procedure for immediate seizure?
Yes humans/owners have rights but at that level of neglect they should be forced to forfeit them and immediately.

sherry90

Visit site
*waves* can I join the kicked out club now too?!

In all seriousness I am upset as people are now being blinkered from the potential truth ( not saying just truth yet as its not 100%) However, I just posted the link up directing attention to the RSPCA twitter post and have now been removed along with my comment.
It's distressing and worrying that so many horse lovers out there are being blinded by a biased 30 minute documentary that only glanced over this mans history with horses.