Jonty Evans ....

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
He is no longer in an induced coma, PD. That's the problem. He's 'no longer under heavy sedation'

It's a very disappointing update, I have everything crossed for him.

conniegirl

Visit site
Very sobering update!
I cant help but feel “there but dor the grace of god go we”
Ive had so many falls that should have reaulted in nasty brain injuries yet an infinitely more competent rider gains a significant brain injury from a seemingly minor fall

only_me

Visit site
Why is everybody so pessimistic about that statement they can only tell you what they know. Of course they are guarded as being over optimistic has a habit of coming back and biting you in the bum. They wont know for certain the true extent of damage until they bring him out of the induced coma, something that may not happen for day ,weeks or longer.
Jonty is a tough cookie who came through a possible career ending injury at I believe Upton house about 12 yrs ago and hopefully he will fight this with the same determination. Head injuries are very unpredictable in nature and only the lucky few get full function back . It just goes to show how a fairly innocuous fall can cause severe damage.

Because the message implies that he could wake up as is under sedation but has not yet woken up. Not unusual in a brain injury as it’s individualistic. They have not said he is still in an induced coma, sedated is different. They said he had a serious injury, which could range from bruising to a bleed but as with most brain injuries they require time. I’m sure he’ll recover in time but of course no one will ever know the full extent of injury on waking only from their imaging/tests so far which is why they estimate months recovery in statement.

I don’t think anyone is being pessimistic but more realistic. Sure look at Richard Hammond - he scored a 3 in his gcs (the Lowest possible) but is back to 99% with time.

buzyizzy

Visit site
I think it's because it was the front of his brain that took the brunt of his fall. I would have thought helmets protected it tho.
I am sure he will recover, it's going to take time but I am sure he will be back.

ycbm

Visit site
I think it's because it was the front of his brain that took the brunt of his fall. I would have thought helmets protected it tho.
I am sure he will recover, it's going to take time but I am sure he will be back.

The problem is that if his fall stopped him dead, then his brain carried on until it hit the inside of his skull and there's a limit to the help a hat can be in that situation. :(

Mule

Visit site
Helmets do reduce the risk of skull fracture but brain damage also occurs when the brain is shaken within the skull. Helmets don't protect the brain from concussion.

Last edited:

claracanter

Visit site
I was saddened to hear this update as I have been praying for something much more positive. I'm being very upbeat in the Facebook group but here, I can't pretend I'm not upset by the statement.I can't stop thinking about him and I don't even know him. It looked such an insignificant fall. Are there any medical people on here who know what a 'significant brain injury' is? I guess Richard Hammond and WFP's were too. I can't believe it, he's such an engaging and dedicated rider with his dreams set on WEG and making his partnership with Art the best it can be. I have everything crossed for him and all those close to him.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
All brain injuries are significant in there own way. It is likely that as has been said he has shaken his brain- he could have a bleed or just bruising and swelling (they havnt stayed if operated but if a bleed they would have likely operated so I am assuming it is more the later option but obv we don’t know everything)
I have rehabbed patients with significant brain injuries and some do great others not always. Equally I have seen many people who have had sedation removed but not awoken from coma (at this point it is no longer induced once sedation is turned off) for many days/weeks but have then awoken and gone on to make a
Good recovery. Only time will tell unfortunately and until then it really is just a waiting game

claracanter

Visit site
All brain injuries are significant in there own way. It is likely that as has been said he has shaken his brain- he could have a bleed or just bruising and swelling (they havnt stayed if operated but if a bleed they would have likely operated so I am assuming it is more the later option but obv we don’t know everything)
I have rehabbed patients with significant brain injuries and some do great others not always. Equally I have seen many people who have had sedation removed but not awoken from coma (at this point it is no longer induced once sedation is turned off) for many days/weeks but have then awoken and gone on to make a
Good recovery. Only time will tell unfortunately and until then it really is just a waiting game

Thanks Dizzydancer. It must be agonising for all involved taking each day at a time. The rest of us just wait and hope and pray for a good outcome.

scats

Visit site
Hopefully his body is keeping him asleep to heal itself and he will wake up when he’s ready. I really like Jonty, he’s such a smiley chap.
At Kelsall last year there was a whopping huge fence right hidden down by the woods and the horse he was on must have cleared it by easily 3 foot. It was in the air for ages. There was only me and my friend down that way and as Jonty went over the fence the three of us exclaimed ‘bl***y h*ll’ at exactly the same time and then Jonty rode off laughing his head off. The grin never left his face.

Casey76

Visit site
A contrecoup injury, caused by sudden deceleration of the head but the brain continues to move inside the skull injures both the front of the brain, and the back of the brain, potentially including the cerebellum and brain stem. This type of injury can also cause swelling all over as the brain tries to protect itself, as well as from fluid leaks from minor tears.

But, the brain is a marvelous organ, and can make some amazing recoveries.

Violet

Visit site
Firstly I would like to give my support to Jonty and his family and friends and wishing for a good recovery from the TBI.
Having a husband who sustained a Traumatic Brain Injury some years ago I was told he was not expected to survive and if he did there were probably going to be with a severe disability. There were basal skull fractures, subarachnoid haemorrhage among some of his injuries and he ended up with 1/4 of his skull removed to relieve the pressure. He woke up slowly from his sedation and spent 3 1/2 months in hospital until I brought him home.
It has been a long journey with many ups and downs on the way but his determination and stubbornness has got him back to close to his normal self. He recalls more things than I can remember, has written a book about his professional life, there are some mobility issues and he is now taking part in the para section of his sport. The key thing is to never give up hope however poor the outlook might be. The brain is a fantastic organ which can be made to rewire connections. It hasn't been easy but we are still here.

I would also like to mention there are MIPS (Multi-Directional Impact Protection System) Brain Protection System riding helmets available although I don't know if they have been approved by the governing bodies in this country yet. They are becoming increasingly popular in the cycling world.

This is a link to the website from the creator of MIPS;
http://mipsprotection.com/technology/

ycbm

Visit site
Jonty moved today to a high dependency unit in another hospital but still not regained consciousness. If I believed in God I'd be praying now. Everything crossed that he can recover from this.

Mule

Visit site
High dependency is a step down from intensive care so he has stabilised. Things mightn't be too bad.

caladria

Visit site
High dependency is a step down from intensive care so he has stabilised. Things mightn't be too bad.

But not enough to get him over the water to Gloucestershire, which I'd guess is the aim eventually - it must be really hard for his family to have him in a different country and a long way from home. Still a long road ahead, but a step in the right direction at least.

ycbm

Visit site

Unfortunately from what I've read, every day over 14 days in a coma makes it less and less likely he can recover without serious disability, and if he doesn't come out of it inside a month he's got very little chance. How desperate for his family :( Why did it have to happen, but if it had to happen, why Jonty a universally admired rider, and why Art, after how he was bought, of all the horses in the world???

Mrs B

Visit site
Been thinking about him and had everything crossed ...

Come on, the Gods of All Things Fair! Get your act together, he's one of life's good uns!

claracanter

Visit site
.........Why did it have to happen, but if it had to happen, why Jonty a universally admired rider, and why Art, after how he was bought, of all the horses in the world???

Absolutely ycbm, this is not meant to be his story. I keep asking myself why.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Such a sad update, I had hoped to see a positive update so gutted to see this.
Fingers crossed he just needs time- plenty of people do wake up slowly and weeks after being in a coma so it is possible. I’m pleased he is out of intensive care as they obviously are happy he won’t deteriorate it will just be time dependant and patient dependent now on him waking up in his own time- I’m really hoping he does wake up

Abi90

Visit site
Just seen on a H&H article that he is showing good signs of regaining consciousness successfully.

Hopefully they can then fully assess the extent of his injury and map a recovery path

Sheep

Visit site
I read the article but to be honest I didn't interpret it as being as positive as most others seem to have :( poor, poor Jonty, just horrendous. Sincerely hope I'm wrong in my interpretation, everything crossed for him.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Sheep, I agree that it's a very guarded update. It's going to be a long haul.

'Horse Sport Ireland has today (11 July) released an update on his condition.

“Jonty remains in a very serious but stable condition and has recently shown some early signs of progress in regaining consciousness,” said the statement.

“However, he remains very seriously ill having suffered a significant brain injury in his fall and any recovery will take an indefinite period of time.'

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/jonty-evans-brain-injury-early-signs-progress-658861

ycbm

Visit site
I read the article but to be honest I didn't interpret it as being as positive as most others seem to have :( poor, poor Jonty, just horrendous. Sincerely hope I'm wrong in my interpretation, everything crossed for him.

Sadly I've read that it's very unlikely that anyone who has been in a coma ( that wasn't medically induced) for as long a he has will ever recover more than partial functionality. Such a sad, sad, outcome of the fairytale of Art's purchase. I feel so sorry for his family.

Sheep

Visit site
Sadly I've read that it's very unlikely that anyone who has been in a coma ( that wasn't medically induced) for as long a he has will ever recover more than partial functionality. Such a sad, sad, outcome of the fairytale of Art's purchase. I feel so sorry for his family.

It's just awful, and it shows how a seemingly "minor" incident can have such life changing consequences.
The wording of the statement is very telling I think, sadly, but of course it won't stop us all from hoping that he can defy the odds and recover.