Jonty Evans ....

Snowfilly

Visit site
That update is awfully sad. Of course, any progress is good news but it reads as though they're not holding out hope for a full recovery. Dreadfully sad all around; Art was meant to be his dream come true and it shouldn't have ended like this.

And his poor family.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yes it's not the positive update we'd all been hoping for. But I'm still keeping everything crossed that he turns the corner soon. Desperate times..come on Jonty... there's a huge number of people willing you on :(

rosiesowner

Visit site
It's just so sad. Of course I wouldn't wish this on anybody but why Jonty when he's such a nice bloke and his dream of Art had come true. Not a positive update in the way people seem to think it is. Not the best worded headline to be fair; I agree with you there tiddlypom :(

EventingMum

Visit site
I had heard that things weren't good from a family friend but you can't help but hope for a miraculous recovery especially for someone who had captured hearts with his bid to keep Art. It must be horrendous for his family, friends and staff and I truly hope they don't feel under any pressure from his supporters to release more news than they are comfortable with. I hope his sponsors and other supporters are enabling his yard and staff to keep functioning until the family have time, energy and information to make any decisions they feel necessary.

claracanter

Visit site
Why is this update not good news. I have no experience of head injuries but over on Facebook people are seeing the update as hugely positive

VRIN

Visit site
Because the likelihood is he will not recover to be the person that he was prior to this injury

Mkw

Visit site
Claracanter - in terms of more long term survival, sure signs of waking up is great news. But the way the updates have been worded so far, it sounds as though the injuries to his brain has been more than a little serious and having been in a coma for quite a while the likelihood is, that he will have to relearn even basic skills... that is, if it turns out the damage is not too great for him to do that.

I've worked a short while as a carer for people with brain injuries typically from car accidents etc. Long term coma is never a good sign, though some do recover reasonably well. And the updates so far have been worded really careful and I don't read them as hugely optimistic.
Hoping for the best though, he seems like a really nice person.

Bojingles

Visit site
Unfortunately from what I've read, every day over 14 days in a coma makes it less and less likely he can recover without serious disability, and if he doesn't come out of it inside a month he's got very little chance. How desperate for his family :( Why did it have to happen, but if it had to happen, why Jonty a universally admired rider, and why Art, after how he was bought, of all the horses in the world???

And where did you read that? Give me half an hour and I'll come up with at least half a dozen papers (scientific rather than than the Daily Mail) to contradict or at least offer an alternative prognosis to that. I hope as we all do that he makes a decent recovery and I'm at sure that the last thing he and his family and friends need is the sort of half-researched but robustly-stated crap you have a tendency to spout at times like these. We all wish Jonty the best of course and could do without your doom-mongering. We would also, I would like to think, have the same sympathy and hope for anyone who wasn't gifted with Jonty's universal admiration.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You're upset about Jonty, but was there really any need for the personal attack?

'I have read' is hardly 'robustly stated'. It means 'I have read' and it was on medical sites, not from the Daily Mail.

What seems illogical to you about what I have written? It doesn't mean recovery is impossible, it just means that every day he spends in a coma makes it less likely.

And in fact what at least one other person said too, but you didn't attack them, why?

Here's one of many sources of information for you:

https://www.braininjury.com/coma-brain-injury.shtml

and it says:

Absence of eye opening in the first thirty days after injury is indicative of a poor prognosis.

90% of brain injured patients who are vegetative for one month or longer will fail to improve to a state better than severe disability.

I prefer to look uncomfortable truths in the face. If Jonty ever rides Art again it will be a compete miracle.

Last edited:

stormox

Visit site
[/QUOTE]

I prefer to look uncomfortable truths in the face. If Jonty ever rides Art again it will be a compete miracle.[/QUOTE]

Maybe. But lets hope for miracles. If any of Jontys people read your prognosis it would be upsetting. Lets keep things positive I am sure its what Jonty would want. He is such an optimistic person himself.

Mule

Visit site

I prefer to look uncomfortable truths in the face. If Jonty ever rides Art again it will be a compete miracle.[/QUOTE]

Maybe. But lets hope for miracles. If any of Jontys people read your prognosis it would be upsetting. Lets keep things positive I am sure its what Jonty would want. He is such an optimistic person himself.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing. We don't know who's reading this thread. Personally speaking, I know someone who was in a coma for 5 months. It is a long recovery process, but he is constantly improving. (I work for a charity that supports people with acquired brain injuries). The progress people make is astounding. Based on the recovery of the people I work with, I think anything is possible. A person's physical fitness at the time of the injury is also very important for recovery. Someone like Jonty is obviously extremely fit.

Last edited:

gunnergundog

Visit site

Maybe. But lets hope for miracles. If any of Jontys people read your prognosis it would be upsetting. Lets keep things positive I am sure its what Jonty would want. He is such an optimistic person himself.[/QUOTE]

Precisely. Please to remember his two children - things like this come up on a straightforward Google search. Perhaps those that like to look uncomfortable truths in the face could do so if they have to in the (relative) privacy of the Club House? PLEASE. And THANK YOU (in anticipation) of your understanding. :) Smiley face to indicate (YCBM and anyone else) that this is not a personal attack but a request to display a bit of humanity towards the kids and wider family who find themselves in this horrible situation.

It might be an idea if anyone knows how to get this thread moved to the Club House anyway?? Anyone able to help??

ycbm

Visit site
Does anyone really think that anything on this thread is news to Jonty or his family?

albeg

Visit site
From HSI on Facebook

Press release issued on behalf of Jonty’s Family

We are pleased to report that over the past 10 days Jonty's condition has continued to slowly improve. Jonty has now regained consciousness and is beginning to interact positively with the medical team and his family.
Jonty is having physiotherapy and rehabilitation sessions, which will continue for the foreseeable future as he regains strength and his head injury continues to improve. Due to the need for Jonty to remain in a quiet and calm environment for a significant period of time, and to continue his recovery as privately as possible, the medical team have advised the family to keep visitors strictly to a minimum.

The family deeply appreciate all the actions, support and kind words that Jonty has received over the past weeks from the ‘Eventing Community’ - they have found this a great source of strength.

If you wish to make a donation, the family’s chosen charity is the David Foster Injured Riders Fund http://www.davidfosterinjuredridersfund.ie/

Jonty’s family thank everybody for their kind thoughts, continued support and best wishes.

Please respect the hospital request that no calls regarding an update should be made directly to the Connolly Hospital. It is not expected that a further update will be provided during the next few weeks, unless there is a significant change in Jonty’s condition.

Ends

ycbm

Visit site
Brilliant news.

And Art is now near me being kept fit by a local event rider Andrew Downes. Let's hope we see Jonty back on board next year.

conniegirl

Visit site
Brilliant news.

And Art is now near me being kept fit by a local event rider Andrew Downes. Let's hope we see Jonty back on board next year.
Yes its brilliant news but next year may be somewhat ambitious, i'd say the year after at the earliest most likely!

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I'm delighted to read this, fantastic news. I hope he continues to recover and is back on board doing what he loves best sooner rather than later. I've never met him, but hear he is a lovely lovely man so I am so happy to read he's back on the road to recovery.