Lottie frys test…

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I think the reason why this freestyle and many others feel so emotional is because of the music and the fact that it's designed, and not just a test that many other riders are also riding. It's also possible that horses and riders really give it their all for the music.

Lottie sits soo good on that horse. Her riding is amazing.

abbijay

Visit site
I really like Glamourdale's extended canter. All those years ago at London2012 I watched the 2nd day of the dressage and was really disappointed in so many extended canters that were scoring 7+ when you see more ground cover from many Medium canters at lower level BD. This one is as good as it gets.

misst

Visit site
WOW brilliant. Thank you for the link as I hadn't seen it. It made me cry OH thinks I'm bonkers :)
I am wary of top level equine sport at times but to me this looked relaxed and correct and full of life at the same time. Love, as someone else said, that the back movement equals the front, so it isn't just fancy footwork coming at you.

Visit site
It makes me emotional, but not because I like it. Pure dressage, and in fact all top level equestrian sport, just makes me really uncomfortable these days.

I know nothing about dressage other than its poncing around a bit more than you do in the show ring and you do it on your own between white boards. That horse's movement looked awfully exagerated. Surely that's not in any way natural?!? Not my cup of tea I am affraid.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It makes me emotional, but not because I like it. Pure dressage, and in fact all top level equestrian sport, just makes me really uncomfortable these days.

I absolutely share your concern about the sport taken as a whole.

I did think there was something very special about that one test taken in isolation (if that's possible) , though. The partnership is almost beyond belief, the rider is so small and light, the horse so powerful and not looking as if he is doing anything he can't do easily and wilingly, , the choreography and music absolutely exceptional.

TheMule

Visit site
He's easily the most impressive horse in dressage right now.
I didn’t like Lottie's tests on Everdale last year, the horse is very short in the neck and tense with a strong contact (like his son, Imhotep, IMO) so it creates a horrid picture, but this is much nicer to watch

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I worry about the damage that micro-managing movement to this extreme will cause to the horse in the long run. I think that dressage has become a lot more exaggerated to make it look more 'impressive' over the years, but this is ultimately to the detriment of the horse. Therefore I struggle to find watching something like this beautiful, because I don't think it is putting the health of the horse first. Most people probably won't agree with me but that's my 2 cents.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I absolutely share your concern about the sport taken as a whole.

I did think there was something very special about that one test taken in isolation (if that's possible) , though. The partnership is almost beyond belief, the rider is so small and light, the horse so powerful and not looking as if he is doing anything he can't do easily and wilingly, , the choreography and music absolutely exceptional.

I agree, it was better to watch than many, and a long long way from the horror show that was 2012, but I think there is a strange disconnect with thinking that elite dressage is ok and performing lions/seals/swimming with dolphins isn’t (generally I mean).

To me it’s a spectacle for the wrong reasons (and yes I get that I seem to be almost alone in thinking that, or at least airing it).

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I agree, it was better to watch than many, and a long long way from the horror show that was 2012, but I think there is a strange disconnect with thinking that elite dressage is ok and performing lions/seals/swimming with dolphins isn’t (generally I mean).

To me it’s a spectacle for the wrong reasons (and yes I get that I seem to be almost alone in thinking that, or at least airing it).

No you're not alone, I'm there with you, especially if I add in what happened to all the others who never made it and the age at which so many of these elite horses are worm out.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I worry about the damage that micro-managing movement to this extreme will cause to the horse in the long run. I think that dressage has become a lot more exaggerated to make it look more 'impressive' over the years, but this is ultimately to the detriment of the horse. Therefore I struggle to find watching something like this beautiful, because I don't think it is putting the health of the horse first. Most people probably won't agree with me but that's my 2 cents.

Knowing what high level intensive training does to the human athletes I’m involved with, who at least have a say in the matter, I’d heartily agree.

eahotson

Visit site
I know nothing about dressage other than its poncing around a bit more than you do in the show ring and you do it on your own between white boards. That horse's movement looked awfully exagerated. Surely that's not in any way natural?!? Not my cup of tea I am affraid.
Modern dressage horses are bred to have a very exaggerated front action.You see it in the foals.

eahotson

Visit site
Didn't they also quite recently discover that some of those spectacularly moving horses had Wobblers? A least heterozygot for Wobblers I've read somewhere if my memory doesn't decieve me.
You may be right.I don't honestly know but the young ones I have seen have very big front movement from the word go.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Arthramid

For that horse it is natural , he is a extraordinary example of a modern dressage horse and he’s been beautifully trained so confident no non desirable tension .
The freestyle of bold in the extreme and the horses confidence that allowed him to continue his work during the crowd clapping it was spine chilling .

stangs

Visit site
I will admit this ride was considerably better than what I've seen with her in the faster, where horse seemed unhappy throughout. Nice also to see minimal tail-swishing, and no violent tail swishes. (All tail swishes did, however, coincide with the spurs being used as the aid - which I've seen with even who I consider the better modern dressage riders around. But I'll put aside my grumbles about spurs for now.)

What I did notice however was that Glamourdale was BTV throughout the majority of the test, not hugely BTV but enough to mean watching this certainly didn't inspire any spine-tingling in me. The extension was impressive, yes, but he's a horse that's bred for it. The grump in me says that this test was the bare minimum.

ETA: Having watched a few more tests, I think I preferred Dufour and Cassidy’s extended canters to Fry and Glamourdale’s.

Last edited: