Mis sold a pony?

PandorasJar

Visit site
I'd say vices are extreme behavioural issues which become incredibly hard to break habits.

I certainly wouldn't call rearing/bucking vices.

Pan

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
From what I understood, OP isn't scared of contacting PC and damaging this woman's reputation - she is saying that the rest of the committee is unlikely to say anything bad about it, and also that some rallies/activities were held on the seller's property, so the pony wouldn't have been in a strange venue or upset...

From seeing the ad, and reading more posts from the OP, I would say its likely to be a case of an inexperienced buyer and a young welsh pony - not a good combination... I watched a mountain and moorland class at the weekend that was full of napping rearing welshies! They're gorgeous when behaving, but can be monsters!

I previously mentioned our section A 4yr old, my stepson's first pony. She would have major tantrums when worried, which would include rearing and backing up.. After a little, the pony really bonded with me and trusted me, so really needed me around at pc rallies etc. If someone else was leading her she was a nightmare. As she grew up, she was great off the leadrein, and a fantastic little pony. When stepson outgrew her, she went on loan to a novice owner (staying on our yard) and again displayed the same behaviour when they went to shows etc. This time she didn't get the calm, strong handling that we had given her, so the behaviour got really bad, we took her back as I thought the pony was getting ruined. We schooled her again, then lent her to another novice neighbour to take to a show who was determined to buy her - again the pony was a nightmare. I went and took over from the mother and the child won the leadrein class on a calm pony. We refused to sell the pony. A month later we sold the pony as suitable for a confident novice in an experienced home - which she went to. They adore her and didn't have a single problem with her.

I also think that six year olds are at the teenage age, when you do get tested and pushed around if you're not up to them.

It sounds as though you've bought an unsuitable pony really, and I'm sorry for you. The pony would be fine to sell on if marketed right, and sent to a selling/schooling yard...

I still think the seller should be helping more.

melbiswas

Visit site
What a worrying and frustrating time for you.

My Welsh sec A certainly went thro a "teenage " phase at 6.
Is she in season ? A lady on our yard had a mare that would become unrideable and who would pin you against the wall when in season; a total personality change. After much investigation she was found to have a benign ovarian tumour (off the wall I know but you never know....!)

melbiswas

Visit site
Ooops hadn't finished!

The fact that she is not seemingly interested, however, seems to suggest that she is aware of a problem.
We have broken /produced 2 Welshies and a lot of work has gone into them making them suitable riding ponies for children. I would have them back like a shot if I thought that our hard work was being undone!

Parker79

Visit site
I went to view a lovely pony with a friend....very calm, very sweet, nervous...but did everything asked.

3 days later my friend took along someone else...she asked for trot and canter in the school (he wasn't used to this) and he napped, bucked and threatened to rear many times.

He was 7 but was late started so we were treating him as a 5yo....when put under 'pressure' he was frightened, perhaps the pony hasn't done as much as this lady implied

OP - I think the seller should be more helpful, I am not surprised your daughter is frightened....I hope you manage to resolve this.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
just wanted to add that i do really sympathise... i bought myself a fell pony a number of years ago, as a novice adult returning to riding. I hacked it out alone when i tried it out and went and did so 3 times, even cantering across stubble and he was 100% fine!

Got him to the yard after i bought him and not only would he not even stand tied to be groomed or tacked up, he pulled back, broke free, pi&&ed off, broke into a sweat and pranced about... but once on board he sweated up in minutes and would not walk a single step.

Im afraid the sellers wanted nothing to do with it - having traced his passport back it turned out the PC experience this pony had was all bull and he had been bought from an old guy who was giving up and had only ever driven him and had him lightly backed:rolleyes: I didnt know a soul in the local horsey world... had no one to help me so Im afraid i contacted a dealer and sold him to them, for a rather big loss.

I went back there a few weeks later to see if they had anything suitable for me to buy and saw a different person, i was offered this " fantastic model of a fell pony, suitable for a nervous rider" that was in the field... guess who:rolleyes:

whirlwind

Visit site
Can you move to a quieter yard- or try to get lessons on your own- It is a massive ask from you to expect a horse to work in a busy environment in an area they don't know with horses they have never met after 12 hours!

Not really, what about at a show? I expect mine to behave in warm ups ect after she's just come off the wagon, as she should.

However, as posted above, the fact that seller wants nothing to do with it suggests an issue. If any of ours started pissing around after being sold we'd be over like a shot.

Last edited:

Louisejane

Visit site
NeversayNever, that sounds like something that would happen to me!! I do sympathise but that made me chuckle.

I've taken legal advice today and because the owner runs and owns a stud farm where we bought her from I am going to contact trading standards and see if I get anywhere with them. I have left a message for the DC at the Durham PC and have emailed the seller telling her what I expect. At the very least I would like her to come and ride the pony to see if it is just nerves and insecurity of a new place and rider. I feel so bad for the pony, I may even accept an offer of instalments in writing just so she can be back where she is comfortable but then who will buy her next? :(

Some of you had mentioned about selling her. I just wondered how you thought was best to do this? I simply cannot afford to plow money into reschooling and if this was the route I was willing to take, I would do it for my daughter to keep but she really wont get on her again. I just feel that if I advertise her now, someone may be interested in a horse that needs time and patience. She has a fab jump when you get her to work!

I can't exactly write that the pony wants to bury you at every opportunity but I certainly don't want to mislead people and I wouldnt allow her to go to a child. There must me someone out there who wants a challenge? As my thread proves without a doubt, I am green within the world of horses so I guess I'm asking what would you do?

Louisejane

Visit site
Not really, what about at a show? I expect mine to behave in warm ups ect after she's just come off the wagon, as she should.

However, as posted above, the fact that seller wants nothing to do with it suggests an issue. If any of ours started pissing around after being sold we'd be over like a shot.

I couldn't and wouldn't move yards, the owner knew the type of yard we would be keeping her at and said it wouldn't be a problem as she was used to busy situations. And, as I am not a long term "horsey person" I wouldn't feel confident going it alone, I simply don't know enough, our instructor is great and gives so much help and advice.

I also thought that the seller would be more concerned about her pony. If she has never displayed any of these behaviours then it shows that she must be truly upset and unsettled to be like this, I couldn't bare the thought of my pony being so distraught and would want her back!

Leighb

Visit site
You sound exactly like me a few month ago! I were sold a 'bombproof safe sensible been there done it thoroughbred' got it home and it dragged me everywhere, took 2 of us to get him in and out of the field, lunging him was a nightmare- I currently have 2 broken fingers and 3 chips out of my knuckle! He would rear and buck when ridden. If you tried to pick his back feet up he kicked out. I persevered with him for 4 month and when he broke my fingers I said enough was enough, but I couldn't sell him, when people came to view him they didn't want a bucking rearing horse so I've had to cut my losses and Ive done a swap with a dealer.
I hope your mare does settle down- its enough to put you off this horsey lark!
Good luck :)

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm sorry if you have said but did she come with her tack? If not are you 110% sure the saddle isn't hurting? Even if it is I would not expect such behaviour from a school master, but maybe from a 6 year old baby.
As a parent I quite see why you won't let your child on her again, I wouldn't either.
You could take her to a sale and put her through the ring unwarranted? You will get very little money but at least wouldn't have to pay livery any more. She may be bought by someone who wants a project and in experienced hands may well turn out to be fab. (I sold a pony years ago that I had owned a week, for half what I paid for him, and he ended up as a showjumper and worth thousands, but he wasn't a pony for my kids.
Best of luck whgatever you decide. I would try to get your money back first.

Louisejane

Visit site
She came with the tack that we trialled her with and our instructor is pretty good with fitting saddles and says it looks fine. We even tried a different saddle on her just to check and she was okay with that too. :confused:

I'm going to sound like a complete soft arse here but I don't think I could bare to take her to the sales :eek:

Littlelegs

Visit site
If it came to selling I'd advertise it as green & needing a confident rider, with the potential to be a good competition pony for a competent teen. I can think of a few teens who would suit it if they were looking. However as a parent I would never allow even the most competent teen to ride a pony the seller wouldn't get on first, so you need to find someone to ride it for viewings. If its truly talented sales livery might be a good option. However, I think it would be better to see if you can get the owners to take it back, but don't allow them to pay you back in installments, I doubt you'd see them again.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
No I wouldn't take her to the sales either. At the worst, send her to a sales yard and pay a week or two livery if you have to.

Best thing to do is to turn her out for a week or so while you see what your legal angle comes back with... Hopefully it will sort out that way, as thats the easiest route..

X

xspiralx

NeversayNever, that sounds like something that would happen to me!! I do sympathise but that made me chuckle.

I've taken legal advice today and because the owner runs and owns a stud farm where we bought her from I am going to contact trading standards and see if I get anywhere with them. I have left a message for the DC at the Durham PC and have emailed the seller telling her what I expect. At the very least I would like her to come and ride the pony to see if it is just nerves and insecurity of a new place and rider. I feel so bad for the pony, I may even accept an offer of instalments in writing just so she can be back where she is comfortable but then who will buy her next? :(

Some of you had mentioned about selling her. I just wondered how you thought was best to do this? I simply cannot afford to plow money into reschooling and if this was the route I was willing to take, I would do it for my daughter to keep but she really wont get on her again. I just feel that if I advertise her now, someone may be interested in a horse that needs time and patience. She has a fab jump when you get her to work!

I can't exactly write that the pony wants to bury you at every opportunity but I certainly don't want to mislead people and I wouldnt allow her to go to a child. There must me someone out there who wants a challenge? As my thread proves without a doubt, I am green within the world of horses so I guess I'm asking what would you do?

I think you have two options OP. The first is to pursue the previous owner for a full refund - and this is the option I would go for first.

If this isn't successful then you can sell the pony. Either with a totally up front ad that explains the situation and advertises the pony as a project - or do a part exchange or sell her to a dealer, who will school her and sell her on. Either way you will lose money with this way though - but it will at least get rid of the pony and you won't have it on your conscience.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I'm another one who, if I sold a pony, and it was 'being difficult' and the new owner wanted some help and advice, I'd be over there in a shot to help out. It is in the ponies best interests after all - for the seller that is. If the seller of this pony doesn't seem too concerned/won't or can't help then that really does ring alarm bells for me too. For the seller to suggest it should be lunged first, then on realising it misbehaved owned up to say it has never been lunged - yet they broke it in/had it from 2.... maybe I'm odd, but I thought ''most'' where always started on the lunge/with lines?? Even if it had never been lunged, that doesn't sound like typical 'baby lunging' behaviour to me?!
If the tack did fit it that badly to warrant the bucking and rearing, then the instructor would easily have seen, and even if it wasn't that bad, yet not perfect, a PONY - unless suffering from chronic kissing spine (more common in horses I believe) should be able to tollerate it without becoming lethal. - That is my opinion.

Personally, if the daughter were mine at this moment in time, I suggest a quiet plod / stable management at your local riding stables to install some confidence before, with more thought from what she has experienced recently, totally vanishes.

I really do hope that this is solved PDQ, for yourself, your daughter and the pony.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Just to add, without being rude, or being too involved in what may become a court case, is it at all possible to view any videos taken of the pony.... it may highlight to some on here body language regarding pain or naughty behaviour, and some may suggest which route to go down..
Of course, please don't if you are worried it could get messy!!

Louisejane

Visit site
Luckily we have a 13 year old adrenaline junkie who loves riding her, she's great and patient with her but isn't afraid of her bucking and rearing. She manages her great and is getting her to jump lovely, its just the behaviour inbetween.

I've started the legal route now and have given the seller 7 days in which to return the money and accept the pony back or I will take legal steps, either through trading standards or small claims court, I am so mad! I poured my heart out to this woman and told her what an awful time we had looking for the right pony and she slated dishonest sellers with me. Grrr, she was probably rubbing her hands together at this point!!

Her last message said "Oh God, I can't believe that she has done that, we've had her everywhere with lots of different riders on her and she's never done anything you've described, I totally understand if you need to sell her on though, I just wish we could buy her back but no longer have the money!"

She also said in one message she sent me that the pony had never bucked, kicked or reared then the next day she said, she can buck sometimes at the whip! Every pony can buck at the whip but to state she never has then turn around and say she has???

Louisejane

Visit site
Just to add, without being rude, or being too involved in what may become a court case, is it at all possible to view any videos taken of the pony.... it may highlight to some on here body language regarding pain or naughty behaviour, and some may suggest which route to go down..
Of course, please don't if you are worried it could get messy!!

I have already taken some, will get it uploaded asap.

Curragh

Visit site
Hope it all works out for you Louisejane, you're living in one of those 'horror' stories that we all hear about....but its all the more worse as childen are involved. Good luck

calon

Visit site
It is so easy to think you have been had and misold a pony if things dont go as you thought they would when you get pony home ,and yes there are many missold ponies and horses but also many that are genuinely sold but then go on to totally change when they move homes for no explicable reason i have seen this happen form ends being both buyer and seller in such cases so can sympathise with both parties ,sadley its common for sellers not to be able to offer to buy back sold animal due to having used the money for something else new pony or debt perhaps so please dont blame seller for this ,as you bought privatley as tried and seen unless you can prove pony was sold as part of a buissness i doubt you would have a leg to stand on and court battles take time and money ,i would try to keep on good terms with the seller seek out references from people who know pony as to its track record of being what she claims it was to put your mind at ease ,then i would ask if they would let you take pony to them back at her old home for the previous jockey to try and see how things go ,if pony better then take home and give her chance to settle ,on the other hand if you really cant cope and she hasnt the money to refund ask the seller if she will take pony home and re sell her for you from where she will be happier and more settled as you deem her unsellable from your place and as she was concerned about right home she would be willing to do so ask her for names of judges pony has been under and instructors theyhave used /had at home and pony club ,i thought add and pony looked genuine and feel it really is a settleing in problem take it slow if you have to go it alone gie it time go back to lunging with no rider and dont push pony for results too quick let it gain trust and confidence in its new home an surroundings ,you could also try asking on other forums if anyone knows your new ponies background or has seen it out and about hope things go well

Marydoll

Visit site
No, I didn't get a vetting which was a bad move on my part. :mad:

Do bucking, rearing and kicking not count as vices?

BIG MISTAKE..... Especially when something like this happens, if youd had bloods taken they couldve screened for any doping substances.
What your describing doesnt sound like a pony needing a bit more time to settle, what its displaying is dangerous behaviour, sorry bucking and rearing arent vices, but possibly behaviour problems, or symptoms of a physical issue causing pain. I think youre probably on a sticky wicket with this one unless they agree to take it back, but if theyve stretched the truth in the advert, i doubt they'll take it back.

Vanha12

Visit site
Contrary to what many have said I actually think legally this is a case of misrepresentation. If you have your vet's backing and can get another expert opinion I would litigate. An initial solicitors letter is likely to be all that is required to make her see sense. If you paid less than £5000 then you will be in small claims court and each side pays their own costs which should be relatively low. The court room is more like sitting in a judges office and talking through the problem so you don't necessarily need representation.

Marydoll

Visit site
Contrary to what many have said I actually think legally this is a case of misrepresentation. If you have your vet's backing and can get another expert opinion I would litigate. An initial solicitors letter is likely to be all that is required to make her see sense. If you paid less than £5000 then you will be in small claims court and each side pays their own costs which should be relatively low. The court room is more like sitting in a judges office and talking through the problem so you don't necessarily need representation.

I hope youre right for all involved

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
If this is likely to go to court, I wouldn't be posting much more on this thread, esepcially videos... There have been stories on here of it causing problems in legal battles... I'd try and remove the links to the ad, which links to the seller too..

Amos

Visit site
Please let this be a lesson to all that it is VITAL to have blood tests taken when buying a pony. You NEVER know when someone is pulling the wool over your eyes and at least if you end up in this situation you can be 100% sure the pony wasn't being doped. Never risk it when a child rider is involved!

OP it sounds like you are doing the right thing and I hope it works out well for you and the pony. Very difficult when the PC are involved like that - it is a very tight knit community and it is unlikely you would get anyone to speak out against anyone thats involved. Good luck!