Mis sold a pony?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Good. Poor little thing was obviously a scared little baby lashing out. I feel sorry for her. Sounds like you have a gem of a helper there, who will be a great horsewoman one day.

be positive

Visit site
It sounds promising and the pony you thought you bought may come back with the help you are getting, take it slowly now and your daughters confidence, when she watches should gradually come back.
The sellers attitude has been so unhelpful in every way, the poor pony has obviously missed out on parts of her education, it may also be worth doing some ground work, lungeing and long reining to establish the basics as you go forward with her. Almost treating her as a barely backed youngster, it will mean less expectations and take away the pressure on everyone involved.

Flummoxed

Visit site
I've been following your thread with sympathy for both you and the pony. While I don't have the experience to offer advice, I can understand how a pony can be so overwhelmed by a dramatic change in her life and am encouraged to read your latest thread.

I bought a (much older) pony who was also uprooted from all he had known and it took a good while to gain his confidence. Having said that, I didn't encounter the behaviour that you have.

Good luck.

EmmaB

Visit site
Glad to hear things are improving! I second the request for a picture :D

Hopefully it was just a settling in issue. I bought my horse when he was 14, I'd loaned him for a year and a half before hand so I thought I knew him inside and out, but moved yard when I bought him and for the first week I was really shocked, he acted like a totally different horse. He's the most chilled out horse ever usually and not exactly young so any horse can act out of character when settling in!

Clippy

Visit site
It reminds me of a pony we bought a few years ago. My friend owned the livery yard where this pony was kept and told me how safe and steady she was, all the kids rode and loved her etc, etc, etc.

Once she came to us, she wouldn't go in the arena, she napped, spun, bucked and even reared to avoid going in there. We led her in then remounted and she was very naughty, spooking and zooming off, tried to put her head down and unload my daughter, she wouldn't hack out, all she wanted to do was turn round and go back to the yard at speed. In the stable, all she wanted to do was barge out. It got so bad that in the end I rang the friend who owned the yard where the pony had come from, I couldn't believe how many lies he'd told.

A couple of weeks down the line, I noticed a change in the pony which was basically just left and not ridden. Eventually this little lad asked for a "go" and she was an absolute poppet, never put a foot wrong and turned out to be a dream pony that any child could manage. It must just have been the change of scenary and she didn't know where she was.

I suppose the worst part was that I lost a friend (the yard owner) and although I did eventually ring and apologise and tried to explain, we never were as friendly after.

Louisejane

Visit site
That's awful, I'm so sorry for your friend, it brings home how real the dangers of riding can be :(

The 13 year old isn't allowed to ride her without the instructor or her Mum there, she just loves her and has fought her corner ever since she arrived with us which I am so grateful for. It is paying off though, her patience is eventually bringing her out of her shell and back to a rideable pony at least, not exactly a ray of sunshine just yet but hopefully getting there.

Louisejane

Visit site
North Yorkshire :)

Just had a lovely text from the previous owner saying that she is unwilling to help us as she has just had my request in writing to return the money or face legal action and she will not be threatened. She has already refused before she received this :rolleyes: She also said that it would be the owner before her would be the point of contact. Apparantly, she took this pony from a breeder who was unable to show her because of a scar on her leg. He loaned the pony to her at the age of 2 to break and school and she has passed the money I paid her for the pony straight onto him.

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
You are a while away from me! Thats a shame I love coming to ride problem horses and ponies! Do you know someone experienced near you who can try and reschool it for you? At least enough to be able to sell it or tell its previous owners you had a go!

Old owner sounds like they have something to hide tbh! Genuine people are normally willing to have the horse back! People who try and avoid legal action are the ones to watch! Not seen it this bad over a first pony type before though!

Kallibear

Visit site
That's such a relief. :)

It can be easy to underestimate how frightening and stressful a change of home and people can be for a pony :(

Give her time, kindness and patience and she should come right. You pushed her too fast initially (most ponies would have coped fine but she obviously can't) and she felt the need to fight back, so let it be a lesson in the future.

Take it slowly for the next couple of weeks (although that does NOT mean letting her walk all over you!) and you'll soon have your nice little pony back.

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
I've been following your story, really happy to hear that things are moving forward. Everyone was vouching for you. Sounds to be just a very frightened, unsettled little pony. She's very lucky to have someone like you who is putting her first. You should be proud of yourself :)

Keep us posted, really hope she progresses even further. I think in a few months time, with careful management, she'll go back to being the little pony you first tried out.

Shame about the previous owners, you would think after the story they sold you they would want to help. Sounds like you dont need them now anyway ;)

All the very best
xx

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Then what does it need? If it cannot be ridden then it needs something doing?

It would appear that it can be ridden, and successfully too.

Having followed this thread through to its (almost) conclusion, I've come to think that it's extreme behaviour has been based on its change in home - and quite possibly the inexperience of the OP (no offence intended OP).

The pony has now had a little time to settle, and has been ridden happily by a young girl who is described as a competent little rider.

I think in a couple of weeks time this pony will be just fine. And the OP simply needs to continue handling and getting to know this pony. Allowing her to settle, and having the 13 year old continue working it. Then it will be time for the OP's daughter to start getting on and quietly getting to grips with her new pony.

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
It would appear that it can be ridden, and successfully too.

Having followed this thread through to it's (almost) conclusion, I've come to think that it's extreme behaviour has been based on it's change in home - and quite possibly the inexperience of the OP (no offence intended OP).

The pony has now had a little time to settle, and has been ridden happily by a young girl who is described as a competent little rider.

I think in a couple of weeks time this pony will be just fine. And the OP simply needs to continue handling and getting to know this pony. Allowing her to settle, and having the 13 year old continue working it. Then it will be time for the OP's daughter to start getting on and quietly getting to grips with her new pony.

Totally agree with you

Kallibear

Visit site
And ditto anymay. Pony doesn't sound like need reschooling. She needs time to settle and relax. Forceing her to do more work will prob do her more harm than good! She'll learn to use the behaviours she's trying out. :eek:

Visit site
I did see that someone is ridding it but it does sound like there is still problems. When I say reschooling I am thinking a more experienced or professional rider to school the pony both at home and away if needed until it suits the purpose it was purchased for. Ive never had a problem with an unsettled horse due to a change of home in all the years ive been buying and producing young horses and ponies! Sounds more like a covered up problem to me that can be sorted via schooling and work

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I did see that someone is ridding it but it does sound like there is still problems. When I say reschooling I am thinking a more experienced or professional rider to school the pony both at home and away if needed until it suits the purpose it was purchased for. Ive never had a problem with an unsettled horse due to a change of home in all the years ive been buying and producing young horses and ponies! Sounds more like a covered up problem to me that can be sorted via schooling and work

I've always found that it takes a horse time to settle in a new home. Some behaviours are more extreme than others - and granted this behaviour was extreme. But most will be unsettled in some way or another. The key is how we deal with it - and obviously the more experience you have the better.

So, on that basis I would say that adding another complication in to the mix would be too much for this pony at the moment. And certainly sending it away for schooling could well end in disaster.

My feeling is that the quiet and gentle approach is the key to this one.

Visit site
Fair enough. I was thinking more the longer its left the less chance of the previous owner taking it back. If they know you are doing nothing with it then its easier to put that forward as the reason for the behaviour than if you are trying to improve it with little success. Thats what I would be doing. Everyone has different opinions :)

NeverSayNever

Visit site
North Yorkshire :)

Just had a lovely text from the previous owner saying that she is unwilling to help us as she has just had my request in writing to return the money or face legal action and she will not be threatened. She has already refused before she received this :rolleyes: She also said that it would be the owner before her would be the point of contact. Apparantly, she took this pony from a breeder who was unable to show her because of a scar on her leg. He loaned the pony to her at the age of 2 to break and school and she has passed the money I paid her for the pony straight onto him.

i would keep/print that text as proof as this is sounding fishier and fishier by the minute:confused:

really really glad to hear the pony seems more settled with the other young girl and hope you get some resolution either way.

See you are in ~North Yorks - have you contacted Helen Bell at all?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Fair enough. I was thinking more the longer its left the less chance of the previous owner taking it back. If they know you are doing nothing with it then its easier to put that forward as the reason for the behaviour than if you are trying to improve it with little success. That's what I would be doing. Everyone has different opinions :)

But they are doing something with it. It's being handled daily, and now ridden.

And providing the OP keeps a record of it's behaviour, and has witnesses to anything untowards, then the this won't prevent any action being taken should things not improve or if they deteriorate.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Again, agree with amymay. I'd add that even getting an experienced adult to ride it at the current yard isn't necessarily best for this pony. The riding style of a competent 13yr old is much closer to the ops daughter than that of an experienced adult. The transistion between two young girls will be a lot easier than that between a heavier experienced adult & a novice child.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I have found that mares take longer to settle than geldings and that some will take a long time to feel entirely comfortable. We never ride a new one for at least a week, as we feel that change of surroundings, herd members, handlers and routine is quite as much as they need to cope with at the very start.
I would also think that this pony picked up the new owners in-experience and nerves and that worried her. I am also a little bothered that such a young animal was jumped in its first time ridden in a new home. What the problem is in taking time to get to know the animal slowly I don't understand.
This is not aimed at the OP but I do wish that people would remember that they are not furry bikes, but a living breathing social animal.

Inthemud

Visit site
If you do find yourself taking the seller to court (which I very much hope you don't have to), it will count strongly against her that she refused to help in even the most reasonable way.

Make sure you keep records/ copies of anytime that she refuses this.