My next equine project horse

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Took your advce and attended my scan yesterday. :eek:)Thanks for your lovely and funny stories. I love the recent picture of Ted - the shine on his coat is dazzling!

Well done, you will be fine.

He has a handful of linseed, when I remember to give it to him. He hasn't been groomed all summer, none of them have ! Not long to go before normality returns though and I won't know where to start. The yard has waist high weeds all over it, the brooms think they have retired, the docks are triffids, I need another year off to catch up with everything.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Have just spent a very nice lazy Saturday reading about Ted and his friends. What a lovely little chap, can't wait to read about his adventures next year. You must be so proud of him. :)

Also very glad to hear you're on the mend and I hope you continue onwards and upwards. :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Have just spent a very nice lazy Saturday reading about Ted and his friends. What a lovely little chap, can't wait to read about his adventures next year. You must be so proud of him. :)

Also very glad to hear you're on the mend and I hope you continue onwards and upwards. :)

Thank you Kokopelli, just tried to be a smart axrx and get in the car to go to the yard, only day 2 after treatment so a bit ambitious, wanted to sit in my deckchair and watch my friend look after the rabble.

Made it to the end of the road and everything seemed to be in double ! back in bed now, def not safe to drive yet. Have to see what tomorrow brings. You are right, the only way now is upwards and breaking Ted and Alice next summer is much looked forward to.

teacups

Visit site
Well done and congratulations re the end of the chemotherapy stage!

Sorry you didn't get to watch your friend orchestrate your gang of reprobates, but good of you to be sensible. You will be kind to your body, won't you, and give it a bit of time? Still another stage to go, iirc.

Have to say Ted looks magnificent in that photo. And big. How tall is he now? I enjoyed your descriptions of him and little Mickey together, and well done too to Alice for shifting a little of the wobbly stuff.

ozpoz

Visit site
Ted is looking wonderful. I'm so pleased to hear your last chemo session is done. Now it's time to plan all the nice things while you recover. : )
Lots of good wishes. x

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Thank you for so many good wishes.

Now, the British Show Jumping Team has no worries for the future, does anyone know Nick Skelton's phone number, I have another Big Star for him.

My long suffering friend has just called to tell me Ted has jumped the post and rail and is presently trying to persuade the brick outhouse cart mare to be his best friend. How he launched his substantial, totally unbalanced furry frame over the fence is beyond me. He cannot trot more than 6 steps without tripping himself up.

I feel so guilty, lying here in bed and the horses causes such grief ! True friends are wonderful people, it's blowing a gale and peeing down here and now my friend has a soggy fence hopper to deal with.

Adopter

Visit site
It is always a good sign for the future when they jump naturally, he is going to be such fun.

You will soon be sorting him yourself but make sure you have your strength back first!

Hope you feel stronger soon

teacups

Visit site
The mind boggles - from your descriptions of him it doesn't seem possible that he jumped it.

At least he didn't walk through it, through :biggrin3:

Obv. you need to stop feeling guilty - have another pineapple lolly instead. They sound nice btw - where do you get them? There is bound to be plenty of opportunity to make it all up to your friend :smile3:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The mind boggles - from your descriptions of him it doesn't seem possible that he jumped it.

At least he didn't walk through it, through :biggrin3:

Obv. you need to stop feeling guilty - have another pineapple lolly instead. They sound nice btw - where do you get them? There is bound to be plenty of opportunity to make it all up to your friend :smile3:

Sainsburys, Del Monte Pineapple and very refreshing they are too.

I fear Ted regrets his jumping effort. I managed to go and see them this morning, and the look on his face was abject fear. The brick outhouse mare has put him well and truly in his place. Nobody told him trying to nick her handful of chaff and stroppy mare was not a good move. I am going to leave him with her to teach him a few more manners I think, she has no hinds on and he is quicker than her so they should be ok.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It is tears in Ted Land. He has put himself up for adoption - again - he really cannot cope with the female species. What with Alice trying to feed him to the lions and now beaten up by a mature lady, it is just all too much for him.

Feeling so much better this morning and looking forward to getting back onto the yard, I got myself over the fields to find Ted in the corner with two very impressive hoof prints on his bottom, one each side of his tail. Poor chap was most upset and tried to hide behind me. The brick outhouse mare was looking most pleased with her aim, rotten old boot, she has terrorised poor Ted.

I pointed to the next field and asked the OH to let Ted through into it to get him out of the way. We fell about in fits of laughter because Ted made it to the correct gate long before OH got there to open it. Ted is not a daft as one might think ! Hopefully he has now realised that fence hopping into a strange ladies bedrooms is not always advisable.

splashnutti1

Visit site
It is tears in Ted Land. He has put himself up for adoption - again - he really cannot cope with the female species. What with Alice trying to feed him to the lions and now beaten up by a mature lady, it is just all too much for him.

Feeling so much better this morning and looking forward to getting back onto the yard, I got myself over the fields to find Ted in the corner with two very impressive hoof prints on his bottom, one each side of his tail. Poor chap was most upset and tried to hide behind me. The brick outhouse mare was looking most pleased with her aim, rotten old boot, she has terrorised poor Ted.

I pointed to the next field and asked the OH to let Ted through into it to get him out of the way. We fell about in fits of laughter because Ted made it to the correct gate long before OH got there to open it. Ted is not a daft as one might think ! Hopefully he has now realised that fence hopping into a strange ladies bedrooms is not always advisable.

lol poor old ted how mean the of the brickhouse mare to kick his naughty butt hehe! I am not surprised to hear he needed his mummy to hide behind and made a beeline for his escape root, maybe he will give up fence hopping for a bit now;)

Glad to hear you felt well enough to go see your babies hun :) i love your ted adventures :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Just had a major catch up on Ted and everything. Fabulous news re. the treatment ending, you truly are an inspiration and a very funny writer!
Poor little (big) Ted, he will learn!

Luci07

Visit site
I just wanted to say a massive well done on getting through your chemo...onwards and upwards now and a huge virtual hug from a complete stranger to you..

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I just wanted to say a massive well done on getting through your chemo...onwards and upwards now and a huge virtual hug from a complete stranger to you..

Thank you Lucio7, the thing is although we are all complete strangers, all be it with a common interest in our wonderful horses, this forum had provided me with company, wit, warmth and encouragement throughout my sxxt journey, many hours of which have been spent on my own. The private messages of good wishes and some very sound advice from ladies who have done the journey before me have been wonderful.

I vividly remember the dark day in February when I was told what I had and what I was facing. I instantly decided I could not cope and horses must be sold/pts. It seems an age ago now and so irrational, all those tears, tantrums and utterly unforgivable things I said to my wonderful OH.

If my radiation appointments go to plan I will be finished by bonfire night and we can all light a cyberspace sparkler in celebration. Ted will have a battery powered one, he will only set fire to himself with a real one !

Ladyinred

Visit site
I check and read this forum several times a day.. so how the heck have I missed this thread?? Read it in it's entirety.. laughed, snorted and even shed a few tears. Absolutely brilliant, thank you so much for this AA.

I am also having a health blip, not the same as yours but also needing chemo. I was in two minds whether to have the chemo but you have given me the courage and determination I needed. Thank you. xx

J1993

Visit site
Brilliant to read you have had your last chemo, I cant imagine how hard the past few months have been. I have loved spending the past hour reading through this thread it has made me smile yet and also feel down but you write your posts brilliantly and I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery x

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I am so pleased to be able to report that Ted has remembered his lessons despite having been abandoned all summer. I have been worrying about him for ages and when he could not be caught to see the farrier earlier last week I really thought we were in trouble.

I herded him into the little paddock last Thursday and managed to get his headcollar on. He came inside into the 'big' box which was very exciting. Only special horses go in there. I got my deck chair out and we had a chat. I have agreed not to abandon him again and he has agreed to calm down and look before he legs it. I left him with several large paper sacks, a water carrier and a knackered rug to play with and de-sensitise himself. I came back to find him lay down surround by the now shredded sacks.

I have worked with him every day now and he has been so good. No problem with farrier. I can get my hands on his ears and he is happily putting his head into the head collar. We even had a look at the traffic on the lane today. I just wish he would stop dribbling on my head. He is fascinated by the furry growth that is appearing. I am pleased with the regrowth but it is snow white !

I will be a lot happier starting the radiation knowing that Ted is back on track.

ridefast

Visit site
So pleased to hear you're nearly at the end of the road with treatment. Ted sounds like he must understand in some way, I suspect he's dribbling because he's trying to talk

AdorableAlice

Visit site
So pleased to hear you're nearly at the end of the road with treatment. Ted sounds like he must understand in some way, I suspect he's dribbling because he's trying to talk

he talks all right, normally something like ' I am scared, I will hide behind you, opps, sorry I trod on you or opps, sorry I tripped you up'

Adopter

Visit site
I love to read of your progress with Ted, I like the sound of his toys! My two 2yr olds seem to be able to get I to mischief very easily, and love pulling and eating anything they can find!

So glad you feel back on track, I am sure you have lots of fun ahead with Ted.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Poor Ted requires rescuing, he is exhausted after a whole week of lessons. His brain is frazzled and it was the final straw when he found himself involved in some sort of bondage. The indignity didn't stop at bondage either, he suffered even further when, she who must be obeyed, gave him a punk haircut with the kitchen scissors.

He has made wonderful progress in the few days I have been able to mess with him, yesterday we stood in the lane and he was not remotely bothered by the cars passing him and this morning he was the centre of attention for 3 children all on bikes and 2 dogs. I thought he would be silly but he took it all in his stride. After meeting the little people we progressed to the lorry ramp and then an inspection of a tarpaulin, apart from a few gulps and worried looks he kept it together really well.

Tomorrow he will be introduced to the leather breaking roller instead of the soft overgirth I used this morning, which did ride up his wither so not ideal, and the cavesson. I am so pleased with him, he has massive confidence issues and has barely been touched since May. No laughing at his bondage gear, he made me close the barn door so Alice couldn't see him trussed up like an oven ready chicken. I did tell him that Alice has already worn the gear and had a crupper on. He assured me nothing is going under his tail anytime soon.

Tedfirsttack001_zps43531a41.jpg

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ohh, he looks wonderful. Well done Ted. Did you say that you were going to hog/clip him or was that just me imagining things?

Not Ted, he is only 2 years old. He did let me clip his beard this afternoon with quiet dog clippers though. My riding cob was hogged the same day as the chemotherapy made my hair drop out. If I was to be hairless than so was my horse ! Mine is growing back a little now and the cob looks like a zebra. I reckon by Christmas I will have a decent covering and she will need a mane pull.

dianchi

Visit site
Yay so please to see this :) so good to see ted is taking to his lessons so well!

Alice's sis sends her love!

Keep your chin up lovely!

splashnutti1

Visit site
Poor Ted requires rescuing, he is exhausted after a whole week of lessons. His brain is frazzled and it was the final straw when he found himself involved in some sort of bondage. The indignity didn't stop at bondage either, he suffered even further when, she who must be obeyed, gave him a punk haircut with the kitchen scissors.

He has made wonderful progress in the few days I have been able to mess with him, yesterday we stood in the lane and he was not remotely bothered by the cars passing him and this morning he was the centre of attention for 3 children all on bikes and 2 dogs. I thought he would be silly but he took it all in his stride. After meeting the little people we progressed to the lorry ramp and then an inspection of a tarpaulin, apart from a few gulps and worried looks he kept it together really well.

Tomorrow he will be introduced to the leather breaking roller instead of the soft overgirth I used this morning, which did ride up his wither so not ideal, and the cavesson. I am so pleased with him, he has massive confidence issues and has barely been touched since May. No laughing at his bondage gear, he made me close the barn door so Alice couldn't see him trussed up like an oven ready chicken. I did tell him that Alice has already worn the gear and had a crupper on. He assured me nothing is going under his tail anytime soon.

Tedfirsttack001_zps43531a41.jpg

Aww he is as beautiful as ever and being so brave even in his bondage gear hehe.

Glad to hear he is doing so well hun and that you are feeling better:)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Never under estimate the danger of an acorn and a feral cart horse.

With a newly cleaned out barn and some newly found energy on my part, I decided Ted could have some indoor training, bit of join up, maybe show him the long lines, I rummaged around and found the felt saddle, in my mind I had him broken this afternoon. Little known to me that my fanciful aspirations would be scuppered by an acorn.

I caught him and as we ambled back to the yard I told him how brave he was going to be and how easily
his lessons would sink in, one can always hope !

He is now steady enough not to need his lead rope threaded through the headcollar, it is clipped on and it has been a good while since he panicked and got loose. Famous last words and all that. As we opened and closed the gate beneath our huge oak a few acorns were falling, one landing straight on top of Ted's head between his ears. In a split second I had rope burn and no horse. Off he went, rope flying around his legs, totally beside himself and what I called him is not printable.

He eventually came back to me, trembling and boiled. After a considerable rest on both our parts, we ventured into the barn and did some de-sensitising work, which did not involve me throwing acorns at him, so stop laughing !! we also had a play with the driving harness.

He has his hay under the oak this evening and hopefully, by morning a few hundred acorns will have landed on the delicate little soul. More Arnica required for my poor hand.