My next equine project horse

View

Visit site
Oh AA, please don't stop the updates.

At least they are all home almost in one piece (the filler doesn't count as a casualty).

I was assisting at a pole work clinic session once, when one big horse stopped dead, halfway through a line of poles. He obviously felt much better afterwards as he was moving much better, but I now had to deal with the poles in an absolute lake (definitely more than a bathtub amount). I was glad I was wearing wellies and not my short boots ...

Fortunately, the next group were being introduced to some cross country type hazards!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Looks like this showjumping game is exhausting. Ted is on his side fast asleep in his barn and Alice is on her chest snoozing in her stable. Neither of them got up when the feed room opened.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Its strange: my friend had her mare out round the roads in town when she needed to pee, so a quick trip to her garden, the lawn has recovered now!
I am sympathetic to the mare, but Ted ............... no excuses.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Just read the whole thing from start to finish and all I can say is wow... AA you are one amazing lady with some lovely lovely horses��

Aww, thank you I am all embarrassed now. Without the best husband, the best vet and a very special friend and the NHS none of it would ever have been possible.

The real Adorable Alice says you have far too much spare time to have read 4 years worth of my ramblings !

IMG_0207_zps1318c5d1.jpg

bigbrownhorse

Visit site
Fantastic! Sounds like such fun! Hope the injuries heal quickly and round 2 is slightly less eventful! My Molly did the peeing thing too in front of about 10 tourists who exclaimed with many wows and statements like they wish they had videoed it for YouTube as I stood in stirrups for at least 10min

showjumpingharry

Visit site
Aww, thank you I am all embarrassed now. Without the best husband, the best vet and a very special friend and the NHS none of it would ever have been possible.

The real Adorable Alice says you have far too much spare time to have read 4 years worth of my ramblings !

IMG_0207_zps1318c5d1.jpg

Haha I did it over two days I don't have that much time to spare

Annagain

Visit site
Fantastic! Sounds like such fun! Hope the injuries heal quickly and round 2 is slightly less eventful! My Molly did the peeing thing too in front of about 10 tourists who exclaimed with many wows and statements like they wish they had videoed it for YouTube as I stood in stirrups for at least 10min

I'll never forget the day my old boy stopped in the middle (literally) of a busy but narrow country lane for a wee. By the time he'd finished there were 20 cars waiting either side and a river running down the road. He was pretty fussy about where he weed so judging by the fact he stopped on the road, the time he was weeing for and the volume of liquid he REALLY needed it.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I stopped in the lorry park of a motorway services for my own 'comfort break'. When I returned there were a couple of lorry drivers looking at the back of my trailer. My horse obviously needed a break of her own and a torrent similar to Niagara Falls was flowing from the ramp and onto the tarmac!
Keep up the wonderful reports AA.

Merrymoles

Visit site
When I worked at a riding school many years ago, we used to do a staff-only day ride on Boxing Day and we once visited one of our liveries at her house on a nice housing estate next to the country park we had ridden through. She brought us out chocolate biscuits and we stood chatting, only for every single horse to wee on the road - once one started, they were all away and there were probably 15 of us if not more. There were torrents running down the road...

AdorableAlice

Visit site
When I worked at a riding school many years ago, we used to do a staff-only day ride on Boxing Day and we once visited one of our liveries at her house on a nice housing estate next to the country park we had ridden through. She brought us out chocolate biscuits and we stood chatting, only for every single horse to wee on the road - once one started, they were all away and there were probably 15 of us if not more. There were torrents running down the road...

That would have been worth seeing, so funny.

The worst pee moment I had was at Uttoxeter racecourse. Irish Draught show and I took a fab young horse who had been doing really well in ID and heavyweight hunter classes so I was quietly imagining a good day. Crack of dawn start, no groom. Massive class of 30 in the 4 year old class and I was pulled first after the go round, he went well for the ride judge, a bit green and the judge rode on the buckle which puzzled the horse a bit but all was fine. Two hours later the class finished and I had lost the will to live, the horse was comatose. Remounted and out we all went, I was called back stone cold last.

Never mind there are plenty of goodies on the truck and we can go home. Telling the horse to take a run out before we load was totally ignored so I loaded him, he was a bit sticky and could not be trusted until he got a little older. Lorry refused to start, my day is getting better all the time, out comes the NFU. I don't want to unload the horse unless I really have to as hacking down the M6 was a very real possiblity. The rather lovely mechanic was under the lorry when the horse decided he was going to pee, the poor chaps tool box was full and he got a little damp too. Just about summed the day up really !

Clannad48

Visit site
Not pee related but our mare decided to drop the biggest, stinkiest pile of poo during a dressage test, right in front of the judges halfway through a rein back. My daughter, who was the rider, was mortified and we have never been back to that venue since.

JenHunt

Visit site
That reminds me of Tom - he hated dressage, just couldn't see the point of it, so would use it as an opportunity to play the fool. He used to squeal going down the centre line, buck in every canter transition, try to eat the grass at walk.... etc etc.... My sister used to try to fool him by not warming up, or by warming up in a spare arena, or by warming up and putting him away again for ten mins... none of it worked! The pinnacle of this, was at a one day event, walking around the dressage ring before the horn went, the judge leaned out to check my sister's number with her. As they were exchanging a few words through the open car window Tom decided now was the opportune moment for a huge wee..... right by the car. Poor judge was trapped in her car for the remainder of the day as she hadn't brought wellies!

By contrast, Ron won't wee in public. Not even with a person he knows in his stable... it's the only time he fidgets! I now know that I have to leave the stable for a few minutes so that he'll pee, but we used to fall out over his fidgeting on a hunting morning! He'd then hold on to it all day until after he's been washed, dried, stable bandaged and put in with food!

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Puzzled Ted.Com or in Ted talk - wtf is that, my mate has turned ecking bright red.

16409602_801097886697545_1241202947_o_zpsuchnnlur.jpg

This morning Dim Tim was introduced to his first rug. He doesn't need one but at 3 1/2 years old and on his way to a new home it is time he was able to wear one.

So with Ted at his side for moral support we went through the usual, 'look Tim, this is a rug business'. With a rested leg, a fart and a large yawn the likely hood of any reaction was nil and on it went. Tim looked around, sniffed it and said 'yeah whatever'. Ted The Twit however, snorted, reversed at speed and shot out of the barn. So much for moral support and and a steadying influence. Dim Tim was mildly amused but far too tired to follow him. It is a very long way from Tim's brain to his feet and they rarely have a conversation.

After doing a lap of the field Ted returned to the barn with great suspicion to investigate further.

16389305_801097880030879_1079936542_o_zpsgkipy9rs.jpg

I have no idea why or what to make of Ted's behaviour when he came back into the barn. He treated Tim as a new horse, was very wary of him, sniffed underneath him and under Tim's jaw, threatened him with hind feet and was vocal. Of course Tim gave absolutely no response, as far as he was concerned this was the horse he has spent the last 3 years with and is his mate. Deciding it was safer for Tim to be out of the barn I kicked them both out into the field and watched from a distance. The behaviour lasted a little while longer with Ted prancing around Tim. Getting no response Ted then started to undress Tim by grabbing the neckline of the rug and trying to pull it forwards. That did it for me and I took it off before Ted caused a proper accident or suffocated poor Tim.

I have done as I promised Tim's new owners - taught him to wear a rug, they don't need to know anything else ! In forty five years of horse keeping I have never seen a horse behave like Ted did this morning.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I like the sound of Tim: what is his story please (I love a story)

He is Alice's half brother (same dam) by -http://www.stallionsonline.co.uk/stallion_39071.html

He is a gorgeous young horse who needs a lot of time to fulfil his promise of being a middleweight hunter.

millikins

Visit site
My daughter's mare reacted like this when the dog went into the field with his coat on. They have had normal amicable horse/dog interaction for over a year but she really went for him and he had to make a run for it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We had a cob mare who took it upon herself to kick off the rugs that the other 3 had on for the first time, after we moved here, where we are much higher than we were at livery. She was perfectly comfortable in her own rug and had occasionally but not often seen the others wear rugs before. However she obviously thought that these rugs were a threat.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ted The Twit 1 v Weatherbeeta heavyweight, expensive nearly new rug - nil.

How - given I have no barbed wire, no obstacles and a very safe field, does the ecking creature manage to split his rug from just behind his wither straight down his spine to the top of his tail !! The raging pillock was trying to run away from the clumps of white insulation material that had fallen out of the rug and were wafting around the barn. The rug is beyond redemption as is my sense of humour.

Dim Tim is pleading innocence. For punishment Ted is now wearing the bright pink turnout that no one else will wear because it is so girly. He doesn't have any pocket money to buy another because he is still paying off all the bad behaviour fines he incurred whilst trying to grow up and he can't even go back on the naughty step because his backside has outgrown it.

Flipping horses !