New horse shopping criteria

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes it's making me feel somewhat uneasy. Nice as she is I'm wondering if I should avoid?

I have never had a horse vetted yet *but* the ad did make me wonder a bit and the not wanting a vetting also makes me wonder. It could just be that the owner wants the money quickly though. Could you organise a vet for the day/after the viewing before you actually go to look, so that there is no hanging about? You could cancel the vetting if you don't feel that the horse is the one for you.

Today must have been difficult for you, anniversaries are very poignant.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thank for the kind words xxx

Although he's older than I wanted and further away etc my "gut" is telling me that Murphy is my best bet here. Should gut feeling even come into it? Having spoken to his owner I felt an instant rapport and he have proved himself to be a real confidence giver.
I really like Meg but something is just making me feel uneasy?? I should add that Murphy is a private sale and Meg is a dealer sale.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Thank for the kind words xxx

Although he's older than I wanted and further away etc my "gut" is telling me that Murphy is my best bet here. Should gut feeling even come into it? Having spoken to his owner I felt an instant rapport and he have proved himself to be a real confidence giver.
I really like Meg but something is just making me feel uneasy?? I should add that Murphy is a private sale and Meg is a dealer sale.

I think gut instinct counts for loads! Always wary of dealers who ‘seem’ to want to avoid vettings... as someone who hasn’t had a horse I own vetted 🙈.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
SLH your gut feeling is worth taking notice of.....try and forget meg when you try murphy and judge him on how much you like him, how you feel riding him, if you feel happy and confident on him , if you really like him and will be really upset if you dont get him put a deposit down and arrange for a vetting a s a p with a vet of your choice, not theirs...if he is out of your vets area the ask your vet for a recommendation for that area. hope the viewing goes well..

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Thank you xxx

Meg's seller will let her go at 2.5k for quick hassle free sale. Or 3k firm if vetting etc wanted.

This is not uncommon with the lower value horses. Many purchasers will be sucked into this and see a saving on the purchase price and the cost of the vetting. Plus you can get bidding wars going on which is very useful for pushing a buyer to make a quick decision as they fear losing the horse. Some unvetted horses will be ok, many won't especially the older ones. I looked at a pony today, sweet little mare 15 years old, sound and currently giving lots of fun to many children. On eye examination it was totally blind in one eye and had major changes in the other and very limited vision. It had adapted to its surroundings and was coping fine. The owners did not know.

Given the OP is looking for something to enjoy going into the future, buying anything unvetted isn't a good idea and certainly not good practice.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Gut absolutely counts, particularly if you've already refined what you're looking for down and therefore tuned you're gut in a bit ;)

Murphy sounds like he exactly matches you're spec, so fingers crossed he is just as described

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
SLH your gut feeling is worth taking notice of.....try and forget meg when you try murphy and judge him on how much you like him, how you feel riding him, if you feel happy and confident on him , if you really like him and will be really upset if you dont get him put a deposit down and arrange for a vetting a s a p with a vet of your choice, not theirs...if he is out of your vets area the ask your vet for a recommendation for that area. hope the viewing goes well..

As above
and don’t forget the bloods.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Murphy's owner wants to choose between potential buyers so has a couple of us viewing him over the weekend. While I understand completely, it's quite a trek out to where he is and I was hoping to go and put down a deposit if I liked him. Not sure what to do??

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would still go, they may pick you to have him anyway., it sounds good that they want the best possible home for him,, take the money for a deposit just in case. he is a good one to view even if it doesnt work out, dont talk yourself out of trying what could be an amazing horse for you....your spec is what lots of people want so you will be fighting to get something with any of the horses that have been suggested..

McFluff

Visit site
Murphy's owner wants to choose between potential buyers so has a couple of us viewing him over the weekend. While I understand completely, it's quite a trek out to where he is and I was hoping to go and put down a deposit if I liked him. Not sure what to do??
Go. There’s a high chance that if you like him, and as you’ve already felt rapport with the owner, the owner would pick you. Lots of private sellers want to choose who they sell to. Can be a good sign, means they care about him. Could also mean that they’re mad as a box of frogs!
Take wise and honest friend. Try and enjoy the experience. Don’t put any pressure on yourself. What will be will be.
Good luck.

Summit

Visit site
Yes definitely go....the other people could be awful....don’t put yourself down.

Don’t dither, you need to be proactive :), these horses sell quickly for a reason. You’d kick yourself if you backed down and the other viewings were a no show :confused:

Arrive on time, be positive and with money in your back pocket and as others have said, enjoy the experience.

Viewing harry was a 4 hour round trip, I had a good feeling about him and knew that if I didn’t get there pronto, then someone else would. By midday, deposit down and he was *mine* :D

Last edited:

Summit

Visit site
At the moment I have booked in to see Murphy on Sunday and am hoping to get to see Meg asap. Phoenix is also still for sale so I could possibly go and see him too.
What do I do in regards to vettings?? My friend says a 2stage is fine, others are saying 5 stage and another friend has told me not to bother 🙈🙈🙈

I personally would try and get to see them all, you can always cancel a booking if you end up putting a deposit down on one of them

wren123

Visit site
go and see Murphy and be prepared to make a decision but don't get carried away if he feels nice to ride. Check he hacks alone, get owner to ride first, check he's not sweaty from being exercised, safe in traffic, etc, etc.
Good luck.
And I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I also really like Murphy and I like the tone of the ad too. If he is a s described and comes with everything you need I think he is very fairly priced.
Agree about Murphy, but only as long as the pig issue wouldn't cause problems for SLH? It would here...

The good horses will be snapped up very quickly, so when buying you need to be prepared to jump into the car and view pronto.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Just to update everything.
I'm unable to view Murphy just now due to my friend being unwell, which is frustrating but can't be helped.
It looks like Meg is sold.
STILL not had any joy getting any sense out of Phoenix seller.

I've been having a blast messing around with my friend's TINY 14.1 cob (who Carrie's me fine I hasten to add). She's young and nappy but I'm finally getting somewhere with sorting her out so I'm very pleased with her (and myself lol). I've realized that it's partly the lack of horse in front of me that I find a bit unnerving on smaller horses so (after a good LONG chat with my friend last night) I'm going to consider looking at very broad cobs 15.2 plus that have a decent neck on them. I still might not feel right but no harm in trying.
There has been so much discussed that my head is spinning so I'm taking a little step back to breathe, the right horse WILL find it's way too me in time.

Me on the tiddler a few months back lol

AdorableAlice

Visit site
If Murphy is as described he will be sold by this evening.

With such an exacting remit a purchaser has to be be ready to view immediately if such a paragon of virtue comes to the market. It is different if you have a wider remit, ie, you are buying potential and the only steadfast remit is 16.2 gelding and bay under 5. Then you can set yourself up with a weekend of viewing many young horses with the potential you require followed by a day of deciding which one you actually want to send to the vet.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Are you SURE you really want a new one right now? Iunderstand you may be cautious after paat ecperiences but you seem to be enjoying the window shopping more than wanting to go out and view. Which is totally fine! But with the type you're looking for being worth their weight in gold you may be settling yourself up for disappointment when they sell quickly.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i still think you should go and try him even if your friend is not well. i always went to see horses on my own first and then took my experienced friend with me when i thought i had found the onem i didnt want to drag her all over the country and waste her time as she is solf employedl.....if you dont go this weekend as arranged he will be sold, such a shame as he sounds perfect for you. it is also rather odd to now say you want a smaller cob when you have been so sure that 16 hands was the minimum right from the beginning, didnt you get rid of a smaller one because of size?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
To be honest I'm so confused about what I want and/or need at the moment which is why I'm all over the place. (Well I know exactly what I *want*)
I definitely WANT one but I hate trying horses as I always feel really anxious and end up looking like a numpty :( I find this whole process stressful and I'm so worried about getting it all wrong again that I think I end up sabotaging myself.