New horse shopping criteria

Tarragon

Visit site
I have been following this thread with interest. It does highlight all the gory details of horse buying doesn't it!
I wanted to add that in my opinion the cost price is insignificant to the ongoing costs of keeping a horse. So waiting a bit and saving up so you can buy a slightly younger horse or one with potentially fewer health issues isn't a bad idea.

Summit

Visit site
Remind me if I ever want to buy another, to post on here! LOL. '

I wouldn’t :eek::D coz I’d never of bought Harry...

I bought an exracer, 19 year old, skinny, unloved with bad feet and dental but my god what a lovely confidence given horse he’s been for me and a real gem in the rough. ❤️❤️

Last edited:

Summit

Visit site
I wouldn't buy this specific Ardennes but she's the type I adore.
I wouldn't buy an older heavy horse to be honest, I'd want under 10, preferably younger. Im not mad keen to have ANY ex riding school/RDA horse as the last one my friend had was an absolute PITA, put me off for life..!! Plus this girl is about 8 hours from me lol.

Never say never...just coz your friend had a bad one, doesn’t mean they all are. The Comtois looks nice....

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I really liked the Comtois as well and he ticks a lot of the OP's boxes including her love of hair, I know hes a tiny bit smaller than she wanted but he looks like he's nicely built so you wouldn't notice it. They said he jumps as well didn't they? Also didn't you say you wanted something with smooth paces due to your health condition sorry if I've misread it may have been on one of your other threads but he looked a bit like a little armchair, used to be the same for the Clydesdale at the rs I used to enjoy riding him

Agree Manny sounds lovely.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if you get a reply about the ex hunter i would go and try him. my loan horse was an ex hunter who had a splint and the vet said not to hard hunt her but fine for hacking and low level competing. she was 18 when i got her, safe as houses and very forward going, very sound and i hacked her 5 or 6 times a week for 2 years, had to give her up because i was broken and she has now gone to someone else and is still in full work. and sound and happy.., so dont discount an older horse...

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
out of budget but sounds up your street slh though doubt your sensible friend would approve https://www.dragondriving.co.uk/horseforsale-131280.html
it does say will reduce price 'significantly' for quick sale.

I really, really like that horse :confused:

He sounds nice as well and again fits op's preferred "look." Only slight concern would be them saying he wouldn't be warranted by them but not sure if this is how selling livery/ dealers work?
I'd want to know more about how hes with a selling agent when hes been in the same home all his life but it could be a truly genuine reason eg change in the owners circumstances

Visit site
He sounds nice as well and again fits op's preferred "look."
Expensive though - worth it if he's all the ad says he is though. And if the seller could be persuaded to drop the price slightly and OP could stretch above budget slightly perhaps the finance side of things wouldn't be completely implausible. It does depend what the seller means by 'significant' price drop.
ETA - Also has anyone else noticed his feet?! :oops:

Last edited:

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Britagie is lovely but sold anyway.
I've tried to call about the Hunter again but not had any luck getting hold of them (they didn't call back) :(
I really really like the look/sound of him

Summit

Visit site
Nope, no call back...I've tried calling them again but no luck getting through. No reply to the Facebook message either :(

That’s a PITA.....I guess you only have the livery number and not a private number which will make it difficult plus it was said earlier that there was a lot of interest so they’re obviously not fussed about making return calls