New horse! With photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

catembi

Visit site
I quite like Lenny/Larry…!

Should I be putting anything on the warts or should I resist the urge to interfere?

We are going to try tacking up later to see what he thinks.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Don't touch them, you will only risk scarring. They are completely harmless.

catembi

Visit site
Yes he was on HorseQuest. Just been having a play. He very evidently hadn’t had tack on before judging by his bemusement. He has now! We had a walk around the arena for 15 minutes, lungeing rein attached as if lungeing and swapping sides as if lungeing. He was startled by and then relaxed with my bright orange mounting block. We walked over some poles that were lying about and he was startled twice by pigeons flying up. The first time, he jumped but settled rather than escalating and the second time, he jumped half as much. I think he is going to be quiet.

Bit looks low as he actually has a very low mouth! It’s also too big but it felt insensitive to put Finn’s bridle on him. I think I will tomorrow.

Age wise, passport is a replacement and birth date is given as 1 Jan 2017. His teeth are identical to Finn’s whose birth date is 3 June 2017. Incisor is only just descending. I would say that he’s no older than Finn, going by teeth.

Attachments

• F7D6A776-E3A3-4943-968C-4D990B7EE422.jpeg
    F7D6A776-E3A3-4943-968C-4D990B7EE422.jpeg
    448.5 KB · Views: 105

Elliecodd

Visit site
This is my lovely boy... who is now an event horse!

He is the best horse ive ever owned, willingness wise. Deffo an ugly duckling turned into a prince lol! His name is Barney <3
:)

ycbm

Visit site
He looks fab. Well done producing him to that level. I thought he was sold as a companion with a positive PSSM2 test (Catembi posted about it early this year, naming him.). Does he have any special treatment?

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
No, wouldn’t even know he had it :)

I am very pleased for him and for you. I don't know if you know, but the test for PSSM2 is believed by some experts not to be fit for use as a diagnostic test because of the number of non symptomatic horses which test positive for those genes. It hasn't yet passed a peer review. It's something I've had arguments about numerous times on the forum, and I'm really pleased for you and for him that, in his case, so far, the scientists' doubts appear to be correct.

I also feel for Catembi, having felt that she had to give the horse up when he tested positive for PSSM2. I would find it very, very difficult to read about your success with him. Perhaps a thread of your own would be good now you know the history?

Elliecodd

Visit site
Just old school ways of looking after him. By the looks of it, it was her IRSH that was diagnosed. Barney came to me and I had him 2 stage vetted and x rays to be on the safe side which he passed with flying colours. He is in a fantastic loving home and we hope to do a badminton grassroots qualifier next year which I’m sure I’ll update you all on if I create a thread?

ycbm

Visit site
Just old school ways of looking after him. By the looks of it, it was her IRSH that was diagnosed. Barney came to me and I had him 2 stage vetted and x rays to be on the safe side which he passed with flying colours. He is in a fantastic loving home and we hope to do a badminton grassroots qualifier next year which I’m sure I’ll update you all on if I create a thread?

There is a post that states him by name, Leroy, as being for sale as a companion due to a positive PSSM2 test, I went and found it to make sure before I posted.

I think you should stop posting on this thread, it feels a bit as if you are rubbing a long term and respected forum member's nose in her own inability to manage the horse.

ETA there is a thread about training 3/4 year olds and another for 5/6 year olds. One of those would be a good place to post, depending on his age now.

Status
Not open for further replies.