Newton Stud slurry death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyore

New User
Visit site

Muddywellies

Visit site
I've seen this bubbling away on social media all weekend. Regardless of my thoughts, I think it a sad sign of the times when people publicly air their dirty laundry. I think it's a private matter between NS and the owner of the horse. The owner suffered a terrible and I'm guessing preventable loss, but it doesn't involve anyone else. If anyone is considering doing business with NS, it's up to them to visit, make their own enquiries and decide for themselves.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Actually, I’d rather know about something like this, and the attitude of the people that I was considering entrusting my horses to.

I wouldn’t like to have something awful happen to my horse and for other people ‘in the know’ to then say ‘Oh, yeah, that’s happened there before’.

Last edited:

Eyore

New User
Visit site
I've seen this bubbling away on social media all weekend. Regardless of my thoughts, I think it a sad sign of the times when people publicly air their dirty laundry. I think it's a private matter between NS and the owner of the horse. The owner suffered a terrible and I'm guessing preventable loss, but it doesn't involve anyone else. If anyone is considering doing business with NS, it's up to them to visit, make their own enquiries and decide for themselves.
A lot won't agree, but I think maybe you are right.

Roxylola

Visit site
What I've seen hasn't come across as dirty laundry airing just sharing of information. The stud i believe claimed the mare simply died at pasture not this dreadful _preventable_ accident. I actually think the owner of Die Callas has been quite restrained in what shes posted on Facebook.
As they're offering services to the public I think its important this is available to enable people to make an informed decision

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I've no problem with people leaving reviews, good or bad, as long as they're truthful. That's the nice thing about the internet, so much info at your fingertips. I get making a decision on your own, but as someone who has moved a lot over the years and who has made significant investments, I appreciate people like this speaking up.

I'm not about to clutch my pearls at someone "airing their dirty laundry" since they are within their rights to do so and could prevent such a terrible accident from occurring again.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I think the term 'public service' has been misconstrued. This is a civil matter which I assume has gone to court and then been settled out of court. This brings the matter to a conclusion. There is no need to then take to social media. Something here clearly went horribly wrong for the horse and its owner and my heart truly goes out to her, but it doesn't need to be then published on social media once a settlement has been reached. By all means leave a fairly poor review via the relevant channels but I just don't agree with venting publicly on social media. And to then have others jumping on the bandwagon bringing Anna Ross into the equation too? What was the owner hoping to do by writing the article? I guess her motive was to stop it happening again to someone else. But we can't do that. We can't control what other people think and do. The matter should have had a line drawn under it when the out of court settlement was made. We don't know all the facts here and therefore are not qualified to comment. Thats the court's job.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
The point is though, that the previous court proceedings and subsequent NDA's have meant the treatment of horses and clients and attitude of the stud has been swept under the carpet as people were not aware of the failings this stud has had on multiple occasions. Anna Ross is involved in both the stud and the rider of the horse, it does not put her in a great light.

The way the stud acted originally on social media against the owner was despicable, I've been following this story since it first came to light.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The point is though, that the previous court proceedings and subsequent NDA's have meant the treatment of horses and clients and attitude of the stud has been swept under the carpet as people were not aware of the failings this stud has had on multiple occasions. Anna Ross is involved in both the stud and the rider of the horse, it does not put her in a great light.

The way the stud acted originally on social media against the owner was despicable, I've been following this story since it first came to light.
yup agreed.

AandK

Visit site
The owner of the horse in question has posted about this before, it is not a case of waiting for the settlement and then "airing her dirty laundry in public". This is absolutely something that should be made public, especially it seems there are many others who have lost horses and been treated as badly.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The owner of the horse in question has posted about this before, it is not a case of waiting for the settlement and then "airing her dirty laundry in public". This is absolutely something that should be made public, especially it seems there are many others who have lost horses and been treated as badly.

Absolutely due to everything that went before this point it was already well into the public domain, as is some of the other issues people have experienced with using Newton Stud and some not, due to NDAs being in place.

Not sure why the owner shouldn't talk about the conclusion of proceedings?

Anna Ross was already in the equation? Not sure who is supposed to have 'brought her into it', It is my recollection that she had also taken to facebook herself without really doing herself any favours.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I think the term 'public service' has been misconstrued. This is a civil matter which I assume has gone to court and then been settled out of court. This brings the matter to a conclusion. There is no need to then take to social media. Something here clearly went horribly wrong for the horse and its owner and my heart truly goes out to her, but it doesn't need to be then published on social media once a settlement has been reached. By all means leave a fairly poor review via the relevant channels but I just don't agree with venting publicly on social media. And to then have others jumping on the bandwagon bringing Anna Ross into the equation too? What was the owner hoping to do by writing the article? I guess her motive was to stop it happening again to someone else. But we can't do that. We can't control what other people think and do. The matter should have had a line drawn under it when the out of court settlement was made. We don't know all the facts here and therefore are not qualified to comment. Thats the court's job.

Yes, it brings the case to a conclusion, but that doesn't negate the fact that it happened. By writing the article the owner was hoping to share her experience a

nd educate others on what happened. This may prompt others to avoid the stud, take a closer look at the stud, and to be more cautious around slurry pits. It might even prompt the stud to bolster their security around the slurry pit and maybe "tighten up" a bit in their actions since this isn't the first time some questionable goings on have occurred there.

Sure, sh*t happens and horses find trouble, but how the stud handled it wasn't exactly great. If you don't like the consequences of your actions, such as being put on social media, take a look a good hard look at your actions. The horse owner wouldn't be in this position or writing this article if the stud had been a bit more graceful about it.

We CAN stop it from happening to someone else. This may make the stud, as I mentioned, bolster their security and be more cautious about their slurry. Might prompt others with a slurry pit to think for a moment too. We cannot say that no one will take action as a result of this being on social media.

And heck, if we aren't qualified to comment on it based off of what we know, this whole forum shouldn't exist. We're constantly making comments on here about stuff we're not qualified to, by your definition. We are neither the judge nor jury, we are not handing down a ruling here, nothing official, just discussion.

When such a devastating thing occurs, it is likely to make its way onto social media nowadays. If someone makes the personal choice to truthfully share an experience, to me, that's fine. We can agree to disagree, also fine.

rascal

Visit site
I think owners are entitled to know what happened, will be a warning to other owners, who may bethinking of sending their own horses there. This was avoidable with a secure fence around the slurry pit, and really can not believe some of the well known owners, breeders on their facebook page.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
We're just hearing one side of the story and from that, people are jumping on the bandwagon, and bringing other parties into the equation.
Anna Ross is in the pockets of the stud though, they are so closely linked in their enterprises. if she wanted to distance herself from all of this she should have done so much earlier IMO.

If it was all a big misunderstanding then the stud could take some action to clear their name. they are not backward about coming forward on social media - last year there was a ding dong with them ridiculing a client on facebook which went down like a lead balloon...

Roxylola

Visit site
We're just hearing one side of the story and from that, people are jumping on the bandwagon, and bringing other parties into the equation.
I've not seen any jumping on band wagons or other uninvolved parties being brought in. Ms Sewell has imo been admirably dispassionate in stating the facts considering how upset and angry she must feel about the whole thing

sherry90

Visit site
The stud apparently delete any negative reviews from the page so perhaps that is why this lady has gone public?
Whilst it is more civil and between two parties they operate as a business and sometimes reviews do become public knowledge and others have since come forward with their own experiences which makes it more concerning and relevant for others to be aware and conduct due diligence before using their services.

They are also in partnership with the on-site vets so perhaps that is why there’s a bit of closed doors on the findings from any death or illness?

The spreading of slurry and abattoir waste and meat by products/sludge is of great concern and could be reason as to why a number of horses are reported to be sick from the stud that have grazed there. The environment agency are apparently investigating too as they have not been storing or spreading as per permits.

The stud have been vocal on issues before, I seem to recall a very shirty comment about a client regarding some semen and a tongue in cheek jab post about that, that said it all for me back then about how they conduct their business and their silence now speaks volumes....

Mule

Visit site
It's bizarre to me that they have the pit right in the middle of the field. The slurry pits I've seen are all in a closed off yard. They are contained by very high concrete walls on 3 sides with a big metal gate to access the entrance which is closed when not in use. I thought that was the norm. Tbh, I wouldn't keep an animal in a yard with a pit that wasnt designed that way

Nasicus

Visit site
I think it's important though. If it wasn't for this being made public, discussion wouldn't be had, and facts such as the open sludge pit, and the occurrence of R. equi on site.
It's not like they're about to volunteer this information, and people should have all the facts before choosing them to send their horses to. Lord knows I nearly did for my first youngster, and if I had known these facts I wouldn't have even bothered enquiring.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
A horse in their care died in a slurry pit on their land, there's a certain amount of 'the facts speak for themselves'

Slurry pit can still be viewed on Google Earth with inadequate fencing on two sides, access directly off a road, and what looks like two holes in a hedge (that might also be fenced). No idea how old those particular Google earth scans are, but it's pretty shocking to see how relatively unguarded from horses and children it was at that time and possibly still is.,

Renvers

Visit site
I am surprised that people feel this is airing dirty laundry. I have thought the lady involved and most comments have been remarkably restrained. If this were a one off it would be a tragedy, as one of several legal cases and the fact that others have signed NDA's the Stud's actions should be open to scrutiny.

I was disappointed when I learned of this, I have always thought Anna Ross and Newton Stud were good and professional examples of equestrianism. This event, and their poor handling of it has made me think twice about using their services for my broodmare in the future. So I for one am grateful that it has been shared however painful it must be for the owner to have to keep talking about such a sad event and her obvious pain about the betrayal of former friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.