Newton Stud slurry death

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosea

Visit site
It seems that the horses owner has been relentlessly pursuing the stud over facebook in a really awful way - which is neither dingnified nor honourable To mislead her sympathetic audience in this way has not gone down well .. I've followed it on facebook and didn't like the 'trolling' tone from the start. This has confirmed my unease about this, The rest is pure speculation, we don't know the other side and it seems the stud has been much more professional in not responding to the awful and uninformed comments that have been made by people who weren't there. Sadly this appears to be all about money, the stud accepted liability from the start even under the horrific circumstances of the fire. What happened to #bekind

If it had been my horse I would persue them all over facebook for the rest of time.

Every single profesional yard I have ever been on has had an emergency procedure for fire or evacuation of the yard in emergency situations.

If they were letting horses out into an area where this sort of thing could happen they might as well have let them all out onto the roads.

While we do not know the other side, what we do know is that the owner lost her horse in horrific circumstances which could have and should have, been prevented. In my opinion the stud not responding is outrageous. There should be a grovelling, public appology to the owner and assurances that the pit has been secured as a minimum.

Flyermc

Visit site
I would love to see there risk assessments, particularly on stabling, emergency evacuations and around the surrey pit!!! im amazed its even allowed, not only the very poor fencing and terrible gate, but from a wildlife and environmental point of view (run-off!) im honestly baffled!

I completely agree that the fire is not relevant. It was a contributing factor and the reason the horse was put in a field, but it was not the reason the horse died. The reason the horse died was due to an inadequately secured surrey pit contained within the field.

The reasons why it was inadequately secured, remains to be seen.

Its very foreseeable that this type of accident would be highly likely to happen and that it is also easily preventable, i dont believe the stud could do anything but admit liability?

It would also be interesting to see if there had been any previously reported accidents, incidents or near-misses sounding this surrey pit, id be very surprised if this was the first and only occasion something went wrong.

Frumpoon

Visit site
If it had been my horse I would persue them all over facebook for the rest of time.

Every single profesional yard I have ever been on has had an emergency procedure for fire or evacuation of the yard in emergency situations.

If they were letting horses out into an area where this sort of thing could happen they might as well have let them all out onto the roads.

While we do not know the other side, what we do know is that the owner lost her horse in horrific circumstances which could have and should have, been prevented. In my opinion the stud not responding is outrageous. There should be a grovelling, public appology to the owner and assurances that the pit has been secured as a minimum.

Absolutely this!!!!

To then go after the bereaved owner for livery fees is tone deaf at best

The loss of a horse like this, the loss of any horse like this.....I’d pursue the stud to the ends of the earth too...I’m not sure I’d use legal channels either...

moosea

Visit site
Why are you so unwilling to accept this could simply an accident. I’m quite sure no one would ever wish for this to happen

Please could you explain how anyone can turn a horse out into a field, knowing there is an open pit of abbitoir slurry, that is not completly 100% secure in any situation, and say that this is accidental? It's pure negligence and anyone involved should hang their heads in shame.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
YES - the same Die Callas! and absolutely why an open pit ... operated commercially

Thank you ... it has been devastating ... but I hope we can find justice for all the others...!

I can't imagine what you have been through I am really lost for words but I hope no one should ever go through such a thing.

JaneSewell

Visit site
I think thats because it was a huge ommision in the owners campaign and never mentioned in all these months. I'm shocked at the deception and the one sidedness and its made me doubt the credibility of all the other stuff. Why wasn't it mentioned? Does anyone know?
I am not sure what possible relevance a fire could have to the ability of any horse, let alone a world class horse or much worse a child being able to access a slurry lagoon. It should have been secured at all times without question. Newton Stud have highlighted their swiftness to admit liability. There has been no omission let alone deception.

TulipTilly

Visit site
Very obviously a hideous huge fire, which was very notably not mentioned by those who used the sad death of a horse to launch a vicious and intentionally misleading hate campaign against Newton Stud and Anna Ross. The death of any horse is of course tragic, and the distress this caused to all involved is clear - thank goodness that due to the swift actions of staff at Newton Stud, other horses escaped the inferno. Well done to Horse and Hound for reporting on this very sad incident factually, outlining exactly what happened. The ongoing support and confidence many of the country's best and most experienced riders have in Newton Stud, Elite Dressage and Anna Ross speaks for itself.

JaneSewell

Visit site
Very obviously a hideous huge fire, which was very notably not mentioned by those who used the sad death of a horse to launch a vicious and intentionally misleading hate campaign against Newton Stud and Anna Ross. The death of any horse is of course tragic, and the distress this caused to all involved is clear - thank goodness that due to the swift actions of staff at Newton Stud, other horses escaped the inferno. Well done to Horse and Hound for reporting on this very sad incident factually, outlining exactly what happened. The ongoing support and confidence many of the country's best and most experienced riders have in Newton Stud, Elite Dressage and Anna Ross speaks for itself.
Glad but astonished that Newton Stud now seem to be admitting liability for both a hideously huge fire and for an unsecured slurry lagoon in which a world class horse horse drowned on the same night... one might be misfortune both is surely negligence...and incredibly that doesn't account for all the other horses lost ... including Faye my yearling who died just 3 weeks before Cassie.. apparently broke a leg in the field?? and Freddie treated for Rhodoccocus Equi about which I was not informed, looking shockingly poor he died shortly after coming home... and the 2 Cornetto King foals that both died plus those that have died but settled and signed NDAs ... Best of luck to many of the country's best and most experienced riders..!!

scats

Visit site
I had no idea about the fire and I’m still not too sure about the exact happenings or timescales, so I’m not going to comment on that, but I can’t even begin to imagine how horrendous this must have been for the owner of the horse.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am not sure what possible relevance a fire could have to the ability of any horse, let alone a world class horse or much worse a child being able to access a slurry lagoon. It should have been secured at all times without question. Newton Stud have highlighted their swiftness to admit liability. There has been no omission let alone deception.

I am sorry for your losses.

I do think that you are right to bring up your awful situations. One terrible one being that they came after you for livery fees after the loss of your horse in, what they agree are, negligent circumstances.

I think you are right to highlight the awful way the slurry pit is kept. Also right to highlight the infection that seems endemic at the stud, from which you lost another horse. I think it is a service to horse owners that people have come forward to tell of their own experiences, such as the poor horse who had laminitis and did not get much vet care.

I think you are right to point out the discrepancies with the reporting of the incident V the actual circumstances, including the fact that you were, apparently, unaware, and presumably are not convinced of, your horse's career ending injury.

But, I did feel taken aback at the non-mention of a huge fire. Yes, I do think that the fire was managed badly. But the very fact that the event of the fire was totally omitted from the story is a deviation from the truth, in my eyes. By the great amount of material online, people have built up a mental picture in there minds as to what happened. The picture in my mind did not include an inferno and evacuating horses. I feel let down. I suspect I won't be the only one.

In an emergency situation, people work on adrenaline. They physically have changes in their bodies that mean they are not at their best for thinking. I dare say staff, on that weekend, did their best for the horses. I feel for the person who put that horse into that field. Not detracting for the organisational faults, that were thrown into focus by that situation.

If any good comes of this, I hope the slurry pit is now secured, owners have more information and will decide whether that want their horses grazing on infected land, you have won your case to a sensible conclusion, whatever that is. I do hope that you can start to move on too.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
we've had one for years.

I am thinking that we should have some sort of training thread for new posters so they can work out how quotes and things work before fully throwing themselves in

And old posters who still can't do it, or quote people and then don't add a comment at all (not even one embedded in the quote) o_O

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I have a question for all these new posters who clearly all have inside knowledge, from whatever perspective, and it's this:

Why on earth would anyone send their horse to somewhere with inadequate fencing, a fire risk between the stables, an animal waste pit (I mean, really?), all of which were perfectly obvious on inspection, not to mention a history of young horses dying from R.equi??

Would you not give it a massive swerve in the first place, or certainly remove your other horses when something happened to another one?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have a question for all these new posters who clearly all have inside knowledge, from whatever perspective, and it's this:

Why on earth would anyone send their horse to somewhere with inadequate fencing, a fire risk between the stables, an animal waste pit (I mean, really?), all of which were perfectly obvious on inspection, not to mention a history of young horses dying from R.equi??

Would you not give it a massive swerve in the first place, or certainly remove your other horses when something happened to another one?
Indeed.

The stud support posters are on a major damage limitation crusade. Too late.

Enough truth is out now (the unsecured slurry pit, the R.Equi and maybe other deaths) for the general public to realise just what they would be entrusting their horses to if they sent their horses there. Or indeed, if there was a problem with the semen, if they were trying to buy that.

ihatework

Visit site
The ongoing support and confidence many of the country's best and most experienced riders have in Newton Stud, Elite Dressage and Anna Ross speaks for itself.

Until they get burned themselves. Excuse the pun.

Personally I’m not willing to take the risk with any of mine, until fairly recently (ie dead sperm gate) Newton was high on my list to use for future breeding/youngstock as required

Arzada

Visit site
Suppose those owners who signed NDAs now spoke out about what happened to their horses while in the 'care' of Newton Stud. What, if any, is the penalty?

honetpot

Visit site
In an emergency situation, people work on adrenaline. They physically have changes in their bodies that mean they are not at their best for thinking. I dare say staff, on that weekend, did their best for the horses. I feel for the person who put that horse into that field. Not detracting for the organisational faults, that were thrown into focus by that situation.

You could say that but, any yard/business should have a fire plan and an evacuation policy. Even my small ramshackle yard has fire equipment, a gated area, and a refuge paddock. Part of fire safety is training staff what to do in the event of a fire, so when it happens they do not have to think. Stables are often made from easily combustible materials and there are other factors that increase the risk.
Part of running any business is completing risk assessments, and if your main 'product, is horse care, these should not only include your staff but also your charges

I was going to put my horse in backing livery, on what I thought was a well run yard. When I asked to see the contract, almost the first line of it was, 'we are not responsible for any injury to the horse, even if caused by the negligence of our staff'. When I questioned this they seem to think this was normal practice, and no other customer had questioned this. As a customer you have the legal right to a fair contract, and legal rights for the service you are provided.

SadKen

Visit site
The numerous posts from new accounts with what looks like a strong vested interest in protecting the stud appear coordinated and potentially professionally managed. Goliath is trying to spin this situation by aggressively defending himself for the indefensible, the key argument being 'look how important we are' which is the crappest defence ever, and attacking David when he would have done better to acknowledge his various mistakes and stay down.

I am full of admiration for the owner's determination to a) get justice for her mare and b) ensure this stud's activities in relation to her horse are well publicised.

The horse world is a small one that lives on reputation. It very much looks like some organisation is actively and extensively trying to squash legitimate criticism and exposure of poor outcomes at this stud. If so, I hope these activities, now in the public eye, help other potential customers to make a fully informed decision.

I rarely feel angry but this has got me.

INDIA1999

Visit site
I thought an inferno is an out of control fire. Much focus seems to be placed on the fire.

There was presumably no fire when the member of staff left the gate to slurry lagoon wide open. So surely that is Mistake no1. That suggests to me they do not have tight H&S.

I do not know how many horses had to be evacuated that evening but it was July so let's say it is 30-50. They turned horses out from one danger without considering whether they were exposing them to another. Mistake no2.

Presumably at some point that evening (the fire appears to start at 7pm) 30-50 horses have been safely evacuated. For what possible reason did the member of staff or any member of staff not check on the world class dressage horse they have stated was turned out PANICKING until the following day? It was a summer's evening so light.

It leaves the burning question (excuse the pun) that if they had checked on her they might have found her in the lagoon and SAVED HER (not least of all because they had the fire brigade on site) or found her still unsettled and done something about that or seen the slurry pit gate open.So that's Mistake no3.

Three points of failure with devastating consequences.

It would be interesting to understand Newton Stud's staff to horse ratios. Does anyone know this?

The fire happened in daylight in the summer when most of the horses were presumably turned out. I do wonder what Newton Stud's fire strategy is for winter when they show hundreds of horses in barns and one of the barns where my friend's horses were kept was miles away from the stud.

Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site
Suppose those owners who signed NDAs now spoke out about what happened to their horses while in the 'care' of Newton Stud. What, if any, is the penalty?
If the information is in the public domain, or the activity covered in the NDA is criminal, its doubtful an NDA is enforceable. They also have to prove you understood the NDA and had suitable legal advice. To make it less likely to be broken they should pay for the signer to have independent legal advice, so they can not say they didn't understand the terms of the NDA.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Indeed.

The stud support posters are on a major damage limitation crusade. Too late.

Enough truth is out now (the unsecured slurry pit, the R.Equi and maybe other deaths) for the general public to realise just what they would be entrusting their horses to if they sent their horses there. Or indeed, if there was a problem with the semen, if they were trying to buy that.

Agreed. I do think that if this is a coordinated campaign, it is seriously backfiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.