Nicola Wilson Update

Birker2020

Visit site
I dont see how some air can really help if you're rolled over by a horse - the weight of it is still fully on you even if you have a bit of air in between you and it. Personally I dont own an air jacket as Id always worry it went off accidentally (as Ive seen happen half way round a xc) or that I cant roll out of the way as easily. I really hope they dont make them mandatory, its rider choice and Im still on the fence about how good or otherwise they can be in these situations.
deleted

Northern Hare

Visit site
Wow, that's an amazing video - she is a really incredible lady, and I'm so pleased that her mobility is continuing to improve so well. She has been really in my thoughts, such a worry for her and her friends and family. Also I've been following Caroline March's recovery since her awful fall earlier this year. Wishing both ladies lots of positive thoughts and best wishes with their recoveries.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
She posted a video message earlier. I've been thinking of her frequently. What a positive person she is, it must be quite daunting.

https://fb.watch/dHkr0Smyi8/
Amazing. With that strength and grace, I can see how she got to the top and will get to the top of whatever she desires to do.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
That video is fantastic, she is so lovely and positive!
I don't mean to pry if it's not been released yet but is she working towards the use of her legs or is she in a chair permanently now, do we know? I feel like I may have missed an update somewhere.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
That video is fantastic, she is so lovely and positive!
I don't mean to pry if it's not been released yet but is she working towards the use of her legs or is she in a chair permanently now, do we know? I feel like I may have missed an update somewhere.
I wondered the same. There haven’t been many updates so maybe we just don’t know yet.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
She said her legs were good so I imagine the chair is to keep her very still and restricted in movement while the injury heals.

I was really sad to hear she doesn't think a return to top flight riding is an ambition but maybe she and her doctors are being cautious.
A lot of that is probably what would happen if she was to fall off again. I have an old spinal injury and so don't jump a lot anynore as can't take the risk of a bad fall. I stay doing 80-90cm only.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I am very very sad to see the lorry for sale on Facebook .

I guess the big lorries (I've not seen the advert so I'm only assuming it's the big lorry) cost a massive amount of money to keep on the road and are best not left sitting unused. I'm hoping that it won't be long before she can look at getting a replacement - fingers crossed! ?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
She’s quite amazing, isn’t she. Never stops smiling, I bet the nurses and doctors love her. One thing about Nicola is that she always makes sensible decisions. I remember her hurtling towards a big brush fence at Bramham thinking crikey that’s fast. But she sailed past it, did a huge circle and trotted back with her hand up to retire. She looked at the spectators and laughed, saying not today, not like that! I’ve also bumped into her twice at Bramham and she’s always been friendly. Last time my Labrador lurched across her and Ian Stark’s path trying to Hoover some food on the floor, nearly tripping them up (they were all dolled up for a party). They just laughed and gave him a pat.
I’ve still got my fingers massively crossed for her, and I hope she has a great new future ahead of her. I’d love to see her commentating and I bet she’d be an amazing trainer.

Squeak

Visit site
Really wishing her all the best. The updates seem positive, I hope she has a good long term prognosis and is back walking and moving as before etc. What an incredible person she is to be staying so positive and upbeat.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I know, I just saw that about Mary.☹️
Nicola’s progress looks good. You could see in her video of her holding her drink that she’s committed and working hard at her progress. It all looks hopeful. Yes they’re being practical selling horses and boxes, but I really think she’s going to get through this well because of her amazing attitude.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Not sure if anyone saw yesterdays update video, but looked like Nicola is making some really good progress. I really have my fingers crossed as it looks like it’s all been quite quick progress as well going by what Pippa Funnell has said in the improvement in her since she saw her!

Thanks very much for posting, I hadn't spotted it. What a wonderful video - isn't Nicola an amazing lady. It's incredible to see Nicola's progress at getting on for +7 weeks! I'm sure there's a long road of recovery ahead, but she's doing so well so far.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Nicola is doing incredibly well.

Mary got thrown off a youngster.

A windy morning riding a youngster in the arena resulted in an unplanned dismount when the entrance gate caught the wind and swung into the babies quarters - she (Mary) hung on like a pro as he bronked across the soft sandy school but unfortunately timed her dismount with the wooden siding to the arena/ stoney outside ??. Unfortunately this has resulted in fractures to her C3 vertebra (and wings of several other vertebrae), 7 ribs and left scapular.
Luckily all fractures are stable, do not require operations, and she is now back home enjoying the sunshine and peacefulness.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
She said her legs were good so I imagine the chair is to keep her very still and restricted in movement while the injury heals.
No she is in a supported wheelchair, I assume she does not have independent sitting balance which is common with spinal fractures depending on the level... and there are pictures of her being hoisted...I think the fractures are in her neck which is immobilised with the collar. She wont be able to sit up by herself, stand or walk which is why she is being hoisted. I'm sure this is improving though as her arm and hand movement has rapidly improved. Spot the Physio! Lets hope she improves even more, its a very long road a head of her.