Not all Pellets are the same! Wet comparison (pics)

Talyn

Visit site
Could you PM me too please! I am currently using unbranded pellets from my local feed supplier but they don't seem to make a particularly nice bed.

whatawizard

Visit site
Please can you PM me the brands too, I have been using pellets for 3 years or so and love them but do find they vary a lot. Much easier to store and carry than shavings especially for us galloping grannies! Great idea about mixing green gloop with water, will give that a go

partypremier

Visit site
Milkmaid how long do they take to muck out each day as the girl in the video seemed to take forever!
I use Rapasorb at the mo which I use 1.5-2 bales a week for 5 (well 4 & a bit pony on deep litter), not sure the pellets will be any benefit.

Toraylac

Visit site
I used to use pellets from LWP and did like them except for one major flaw. In the really cold snap we had when temperatures were way below freezing I found the beds actually froze! They were rock hard and very uncomfortable. I tried changing the amount of water added to them but then they were dusty. Anybody else have this problem?

Chloe-V

Visit site
Could you PM me with the brands as well please.

I gave up with LWP a couple of years ago after problems with quality, delivery and the company's awful manner in dealing with customer complaints.

Since then I've been using Blue Ribbon pellets and found them lovely people to deal with.

Very interested in your findings.

hogged cob

Visit site
Could you please PM me with the details.

I am also interested to know if they feel damp when you touch them and as the OP said do they freeze and go hard?

My boy is very dirty and I use between two and three bags of shavings a week.

Thanking you in advance.

mycocorocks

Visit site
I used to use pellets from LWP and did like them except for one major flaw. In the really cold snap we had when temperatures were way below freezing I found the beds actually froze! They were rock hard and very uncomfortable. I tried changing the amount of water added to them but then they were dusty. Anybody else have this problem?

you could try using straw pellets, they are not as hard as wood pellets, so you don't need to water them. We watered when we first started using them, but now don't bother, which makes them are then even more absorbent!!

Mitchyden

Visit site
Could you PM me with the brands as well please.

I gave up with LWP a couple of years ago after problems with quality, delivery and the company's awful manner in dealing with customer complaints.

Since then I've been using Blue Ribbon pellets and found them lovely people to deal with.

Very interested in your findings.

I had a few problems with LWP a couple of years ago too but I think they were having issues with their delivery guys. Since then I've had no problems and have just in fact placed an order with them.

ponypilotmum

Visit site
I used D&H pellets and am not impressed, dirty looking and only got 1/4 of a bed out of 9 bags. Can you pm me please? And do the company sell in small quantities? Mine aren't in very often, and I store mine at home so I don't need a whole crate of them :)

Doogle

Visit site
I have been trialling two different wood pellets along side one another with interesting results that I thought you might like to share.......

Both horses in 12 hrs a day and wee for England! Skip daily with once a week wet removal

This is a weeks wet out of the 'premium' bed (and he is normally the wetter out of the two!)
picture.php

And the weeks wet out of the cheaper pellet bed (but not a 'cheap value' pellet) Still only one trip to the muck heap tho!

picture.php

And after 4+ weeks use these are the beds after a quick mix up with some green gloop/water (helps with freshness/fly repellant purposes) and relaid for another week of quick 5 min skip outs and a quick sprinkle daily from the watering can in hot weather.

Premium Bed (to which I have only added 2 (15kg) bags since I set it up!!)
picture.php

'Other' bed (to which I have added 4 (15kg) bags, one after each 'clear out' )
picture.php

Hi, have just joined the Forum so hope I'm doing this right. I use pellets but would someone please private message me which pellets were used in this trial, as I need to order some more. Thank you very much, Sarah

Milkmaid

Visit site
Hello Sarah, welcome to HHO :cool:
I have sent you a p.m, to read it click on 'private messages', top right of your page when logged on.

countryfun

Visit site
Hello again,

I'm not sure if I got missed as I requested a pm of both types of pellets and still haven't received it! Im very keen to know because I have just moved into a beautiful part of Sussex and have 6 acres so am going to keep my horses at home at last after many years of livery! It's very exciting and which type of bedding to use is a very important decision!

Many thanks

Spyda

Visit site
My Verdo bed looks like your number 2 made-up bed (in the first post's photos); a darker bed. I am pleased with mine and have to say, the pellet bed is fabulous for not making you smell like an equine urinal. I've used all sorts of bedding over the years: straw, small flake shavings, Bedmax, Bliss, Aubiose, Miscanthus, Megazorb, etc., plus a combination of ones, but this is the first time I can actually muck out the wee from an established bed and not leave the yard with hair and clothes smelling like horse pee. It's fab! What a change :) A HUGE difference in that respect.
My mare's a pain in the neck for mincing her droppings into her bed and scattering them about, but even so the bed's still very quick and easy to muck out and I'm saving a fortune in bedding costs.

But I do know the people at the yard are thinking I'm kinda weird (well, weirder than they already did! :D) for using the bedding I am. I get visitors to my box regularly for people to kick at and touch my bed. Most leave shaking their head, muttering, "Never seen anything like that before...." and I smile as they struggle backwards and forwards past my box to the muck heap with loaded barrows full of straw, shavings and miscanthus....