One last evening, my beautiful boy Torres

JDH01

Visit site
Some times you just have to be brave to do the right thing. You know when this is the case. Please just have the courage Of your convictions

Ahrena

Visit site
I'm sorry but I do have to say something, and I know I will get shot down as usual. You say these photos are from today, and you also say he was uncomfortable and shifting from one leg to another to get comfortable, yet you have taken photos of you leaning over his back and sitting on him? I'm afraid for that reason I don't admire you, however it must be awful for you to have said goodbye.

The horse is being put to sleep not because he is in agonising, chronicle pain which needs instant relief but because long term he is unlikely to come right.

I know Michen and Torres personally. She's one of my best friends and Torre's is kept where Ii keep my horses. From a vet perspective, although I may be wrong here, I understood he was actually okayed to come back into work months ago.

I think your comments are highly unnecessary and insensitive given the nature of this post. She sat on him whilst he ate a bucket of feed for two minutes to have a nice cuddle and a special moment. If the horse had a broken leg - okay, fair enough, you wouldn't do that, but he isn't crippled hoping lame on a day to day basis when just pottering quietly around the field. To be honest, even if it had been a bit unfair (which it wasn't - I was there, and Torres is more than happy to display his opinion if things are uncomfortable or if he doesn't want to do something), is there even the SLIGHTEST point in raising it now?!

I have never in my life seen someone pour so much time, effort and energy into fixing a horse, let alone one that cost £200 and never really proved itself in any way shape or form, she did it for the pure love of the creature as he is. I've been on the receiving end of every new discovery and new decisions, I used to wake up to find 4 or 5 messages sent in the middle of the night where she'd been up researching every tiny little thing that could make any sort of difference. It's been a nightmare from start to finish, this horse hasn't, one day in his life with Michen wanted for anything.

As much as I've wanted to bang my head repetitively into a wall when she's mentioned yet another problem based off a very slight observation, she's been proven right every single time. Most of his problems would of gone entirely unnoticed or dismissed by the average horse owner; some of them, myself included.

I think it's incredibly spiteful and unnecessary to make her feel bad about it now, even if it did harm the horse or cause him additional discomfort (which it did NOT, he was sore after galloping around the field with his friend on hard ground, and the pictures were taken prior to that), what would you achieve? Only to make someone who is heartbroken and devastated feel even worse. I know you're known for speaking your mind and you clearly feel that being able to do so makes you above everyone else, but take a good hard look at yourself. Kicking someone on one of the toughest nights of their life is not big, not clever and no one is going to learn anything from it. There's nothing constructive to be learnt from your observation so it was massively pointless, and downright cruel. You often give pointless comments like this and I honestly don't know what you think you have to gain by it, apart from feeling better than everyone else, but you know what? It makes you far, far worse. If you disagree, sometimes there's times to stay out of it, and this is one of them.

Princess16

Visit site
The horse is being put to sleep not because he is in agonising, chronicle pain which needs instant relief but because long term he is unlikely to come right.

I know Michen and Torres personally. She's one of my best friends and Torre's is kept where Ii keep my horses. From a vet perspective, although I may be wrong here, I understood he was actually okayed to come back into work months ago.

I think your comments are highly unnecessary and insensitive given the nature of this post. She sat on him whilst he ate a bucket of feed for two minutes to have a nice cuddle and a special moment. If the horse had a broken leg - okay, fair enough, you wouldn't do that, but he isn't crippled hoping lame on a day to day basis when just pottering quietly around the field. To be honest, even if it had been a bit unfair (which it wasn't - I was there, and Torres is more than happy to display his opinion if things are uncomfortable or if he doesn't want to do something), is there even the SLIGHTEST point in raising it now?!

I have never in my life seen someone pour so much time, effort and energy into fixing a horse, let alone one that cost £200 and never really proved itself in any way shape or form, she did it for the pure love of the creature as he is. I've been on the receiving end of every new discovery and new decisions, I used to wake up to find 4 or 5 messages sent in the middle of the night where she'd been up researching every tiny little thing that could make any sort of difference. It's been a nightmare from start to finish, this horse hasn't, one day in his life with Michen wanted for anything.

As much as I've wanted to bang my head repetitively into a wall when she's mentioned yet another problem based off a very slight observation, she's been proven right every single time. Most of his problems would of gone entirely unnoticed or dismissed by the average horse owner; some of them, myself included.

I think it's incredibly spiteful and unnecessary to make her feel bad about it now, even if it did harm the horse or cause him additional discomfort (which it did NOT, he was sore after galloping around the field with his friend on hard ground, and the pictures were taken prior to that), what would you achieve? Only to make someone who is heartbroken and devastated feel even worse. I know you're known for speaking your mind and you clearly feel that being able to do so makes you above everyone else, but take a good hard look at yourself. Kicking someone on one of the toughest nights of their life is not big, not clever and no one is going to learn anything from it. There's nothing constructive to be learnt from your observation so it was massively pointless, and downright cruel. You often give pointless comments like this and I honestly don't know what you think you have to gain by it, apart from feeling better than everyone else, but you know what? It makes you far, far worse. If you disagree, sometimes there's times to stay out of it, and this is one of them.

WELL SAID !

Now let's hope this poor girl is left alone on what is going to be an absolutely horrendous day :-(

Michen

Visit site

:) Xxxxx Thank you to the 99.9% of people on here who have been nothing but sensible and incredibly kind and supportive. I have learnt more on here than from my vet! Incidentally, Ahrena will be holding Torres today and took these pictures. I have said my goodbyes and am at peace with what I am doing, however heartbreaking.

pines of rome

Visit site
Torres, such a lovely boy! I am so sad that it has come to this, he so reminds me of my boy, who looks like him and is also an ex racer with so many problems that I have been struggling with for the last five years! He is so up and down and it is so hard trying all the time , so I know how you feel and I just hope I am strong enough to let him go if things get any worse!
I will be thinking of Torres today! x

mytwofriends

Visit site
You're a brave lady and unselfish. I haven't posted on any of your threads before, but have dipped in and out, and you couldn't have done more for this lucky horse.

Be strong today. Know you're ensuring he'll never feel pain or discomfort again, and treasure your happier memories - and of course, those wonderful photos.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Caramac71

Visit site
:) Xxxxx Thank you to the 99.9% of people on here who have been nothing but sensible and incredibly kind and supportive. I have learnt more on here than from my vet! Incidentally, Ahrena will be holding Torres today and took these pictures. I have said my goodbyes and am at peace with what I am doing, however heartbreaking.

Having followed your threads, I'm amazed anyone could think you would do anything in any way harmful to Torres. You've gone to the ends of the world and back again for him. Your photos are beautiful and I'm glad you are at peace with yourself. It sounds like you have amazing support from your friend and I will be thinking of you today.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site

We all understand :) xx Ahrena, sounds like you are a great friend.

On the Hoof

Visit site
I have followed all your posts on Torres and am in awe of your patience and dedication to him. You have a wonderful friend in Ahrena and thanks to him/her for posting in your support . Thank you for sharing your last pictures of your lovely horse , sending you love and hugs for today xx

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You have made a hugely brave decision and I hope all goes well for all three of you today. If all horses had owners like you who try their damndest for them but know when to call it a day, the world would be their oyster.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
It's specially difficult as he looks so well, so happy, I am sending him peaceful and happy vibes. May the sun shine on Torres today and forever.

Last edited:

Grey Haven

Visit site
Sending all my love - I can remember every minute of the last hour I spent with my boy the evening before I set him free. RIP gorgeous lad xxx

Embo

Visit site
Beautiful photos. Such a heart breaking situation. You are truly, very brave. Thinking of you and Torres today x

Michen

Visit site
I have followed all your posts on Torres and am in awe of your patience and dedication to him. You have a wonderful friend in Ahrena and thanks to him/her for posting in your support . Thank you for sharing your last pictures of your lovely horse , sending you love and hugs for today xx

Indeed, we have lost horses, mothers, fathers and boys during our friendship so there is no one else I would trust my horse with in his final few minutes. Thanks xxxxx

mastermax

Visit site
It hurts and will hurt for a long time to come. You will never, ever forget him but you are doing the one last act of love for him. Cry, shout, scream whatever feels right. You have my respect and admiration. God speed Torres may you run in peace, tranquility and freedom xx

fatpiggy

Visit site
This horse was lucky to find you. I am sorry he brought you such heartache and sadness, but you brought him such love, care and relief. It is a very sad story which I have followed from the outset and I am so sorry for the way it has ended, but you made the right choice for Torres. X

My thoughts entirely.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Thinking of you today. You're being so brave to let Torres go to a place where there is no pain, although you will hurt for ages.

Big hug, and take care.

cblover

Visit site
A brave decision and a right one. Take care and take it easy on yourself. You're in my thoughts. x

PolarSkye

Visit site
He's gone everyone. Thanks for every single comment it all helps xxxxxxxxx

Oh bless you. I hope you have someone with you right now . . . I know your lovely friend agreed to hold/handle him, but please make sure you are being looked after/being kind to yourself.

Sleep well Torres.

P xxx

madlady

Visit site
What a brave and selfless thing you have done for him.

You will hurt for a long time but take what peace you can knowing that he is not in pain anymore.

Hugs to you.