Panorama tonight - racing industry and slaughterhouses

palo1

Visit site
Mine check. I have heard of vets who will not take on horses unless their passports have been signed out of the food chain, so they have no need to ask for any passport on subsequent visits.

Perhaps that is why mine never get checked and my vet doesn't ask to see the passport routinely though it's always there for vaccs in any case.

TheMule

Visit site
I am reluctant to raise this but watching the programme was dire in lots of ways. I did wonder if the reason why the 2 horses were in the kill room together though was because they couldn't be safely or humanely separated and the vet made the call that the two should go in together rather than continue to stress them by trying and failing to separate them/lead them away from each other. That thought is frankly heart breaking for me. :( I know that there are vets who will be desperately lacking in compassion doing this job but what was recorded was obviously illegal. Yet everybody on that few frames was organised about it so I did wonder if perhaps, in spite of everything there may be reasons why those two horses were together. I don't think it takes a huge leap of imagination or understanding to know that at times 2 horses would be utterly panic-stricken to be separated. I also think it may be virtually impossible at times to get a horse in the right position in that situation to use the right way of dispatch and that the vet and other people must have questioned and possibly sanctioned the use of shooting some horses from a distance for safety reasons. Panorama didn't address any of those issues at all but used them to present an audience pulling bit of cheap programme making. It is just terribly, horribly sad really. Racing has problems, TB breeding and disposal is certainly one of those. Our system of abbatoirs and the way we turn away, culturally speaking, from facing up to the deaths that we directly and indirectly cause through animal farming and leisure have a huge part to play in this sorry business. I certainly didn't think what the BBC aired deserved the title 'The Dark Side of Racing'. It is far more embedded than just racing.

Absolutely. A bit of sense, the vast majority of horses that go through there are not, and never have been, pets. Most are minimally handled if at all and so the welfare standards (which were presumably put in place on assumption of a horse being handleable) might become hard to follow

palo1

Visit site
Absolutely. A bit of sense, the vast majority of horses that go through there are not, and never have been, pets. Most are minimally handled if at all and so the welfare standards (which were presumably put in place on assumption of a horse being handleable) might become hard to follow

Thank you for acknowledging this. I am not sure how many people watching the programme will have had time or will to digest and consider some of the content fully. So many questions were raised by it tbh. I cannot imagine some groups of ponies and horses being remotely simple to deal with to the letter of the law in this situation. On top of that, clearly the law does not always work in an animal's best interests - viewers were shocked (as they were intended to be) by what was shown yet the killing of horses in abbatoirs, singly is legal. How does that work when mares and foals or very strongly bonded groups of horses are sent to slaughter? It makes me feel slightly sick to think of those family groups being dealt with, even entirely legally in a decent abbatoir. The law and the way we treat and think about animals can be a contributing cruelty and for all the outrage, social media posts etc etc don't necessarily result in real, genuinely meaningful change that will benefit animals. Another witch hunt against racing is just...weak.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Thank you for acknowledging this. I am not sure how many people watching the programme will have had time or will to digest and consider some of the content fully. So many questions were raised by it tbh. I cannot imagine some groups of ponies and horses being remotely simple to deal with to the letter of the law in this situation. On top of that, clearly the law does not always work in an animal's best interests - viewers were shocked (as they were intended to be) by what was shown yet the killing of horses in abbatoirs, singly is legal. How does that work when mares and foals or very strongly bonded groups of horses are sent to slaughter? It makes me feel slightly sick to think of those family groups being dealt with, even entirely legally in a decent abbatoir. The law and the way we treat and think about animals can be a contributing cruelty and for all the outrage, social media posts etc etc don't necessarily result in real, genuinely meaningful change that will benefit animals. Another witch hunt against racing is just...weak.
How is it a witch hunt against racing?
For the sport to exist they have to overbreed , back and race before they are fully developed
Many horses damaged by that process or horses which don't make it are then disposed of by slaughter.
That's the story of racing. The glitz and glamour of racing has had thousands of hours of coverage...last night the story of the horses they don't want got half an hour
All it did was let people know what happens to the horses when they are no longer fit for purpose.

palo1

Visit site
How is it a witch hunt against racing?
For the sport to exist they have to overbreed , back and race before they are fully developed
Many horses damaged by that process or horses which don't make it are then disposed of by slaughter.
That's the story of racing. The glitz and glamour of racing has had thousands of hours of coverage...last night the story of the horses they don't want got half an hour
All it did was let people know what happens to the horses when they are no longer fit for purpose.

I didn't suggest that there are no problems in racing - including the ones you mention here. The reason I called the programme a witch hunt is because the problem is far worse than just what happens in racing. It is just quite handy to hang the problems shown on racing...that system is just using what exists. Racing hasn't created the abbatoir system though there may well be other influences on policy etc that lobbying by racing bodies can achieve but that is not what the programme was about. There are very real issues with the over production and disposability of thoroughbred horses destined for racing but this programme was really about poor practice in abbatoirs. Some of that poor practice was not remotely explained, some of it was very clearly just dire; the keeping of horses with serious injuries, the apparent non-adherence to the law etc. Racing represents probably the wealthiest sector of equestrianism here in the UK yet racehorses sink to the bottom of the dealers/owners/keepers heap quite easily. It is a systemic problem compounded by attitudes at both ends of the compassion spectrum (if you like) - where one end sees that there must be a process for 'efficient' disposing of unwanted animals (not my terms or my view tbh) and that as long as that process is legally compliant that is ok and the other end that doesn't want to see any negative intervention or association with any animal's life. I can't imagine anyone on this forum admitting to not standing by their horses when it comes to the end of the road in either health or ridden terms but abbatoirs see thousands of unwanted horses every year. They are not all from racing. I just think it feels like a really cynical form of click bait from the Beeb.

luckyoldme

Visit site
I didn't suggest that there are no problems in racing - including the ones you mention here. The reason I called the programme a witch hunt is because the problem is far worse than just what happens in racing. It is just quite handy to hang the problems shown on racing...that system is just using what exists. Racing hasn't created the abbatoir system though there may well be other influences on policy etc that lobbying by racing bodies can achieve but that is not what the programme was about. There are very real issues with the over production and disposability of thoroughbred horses destined for racing but this programme was really about poor practice in abbatoirs. Some of that poor practice was not remotely explained, some of it was very clearly just dire; the keeping of horses with serious injuries, the apparent non-adherence to the law etc. Racing represents probably the wealthiest sector of equestrianism here in the UK yet racehorses sink to the bottom of the dealers/owners/keepers heap quite easily. It is a systemic problem compounded by attitudes at both ends of the compassion spectrum (if you like) - where one end sees that there must be a process for 'efficient' disposing of unwanted animals (not my terms or my view tbh) and that as long as that process is legally compliant that is ok and the other end that doesn't want to see any negative intervention or association with any animal's life. I can't imagine anyone on this forum admitting to not standing by their horses when it comes to the end of the road in either health or ridden terms but abbatoirs see thousands of unwanted horses every year. They are not all from racing. I just think it feels like a really cynical form of click bait from the Beeb.
No other discipline has quite the same public following though.
I'm going to be honest here and admit I hate the idea of any horse having to go for slaughter...from when I was very young and had to say goodbye to a horse I loved knowing where she was going. That might colour my judgement here but the hypocrisy of racing revolts me. The elegant polished race days they want to show off to the world and then the real price the horses pay which they want to hide.
I think the people who are interested in racing have every right to know the full truth..but I also know that most won't care.
Most will make little comments on social media with a few emojis and forget all about it.
Selfishly on my part I'm just relieved that other people feel the same way I do .

Orangehorse

Visit site
I just wanted to add that I bought my nephew shares in a racehorse for a gift this year. As an 'owner' (well, purchaser!) even in a small syndicate it wouldn't trouble me to have had to pay a 'pension' fee or to pay a proportion more for the share in the horse to help secure it either a healthy period of retirement or to contribute to a genuinely decent end. That is a system that could be put in place reasonably easily I think.

I own shares in some racehorses and there is a sum in the annual price that is put towards a "retirement fund."

Wishfilly

Visit site
I guess "The dark side of racing" is a bit catchier than "The dark side of the thoroughbred breeding industry"- they two are linked but not quite the same, obviously.

Obviously racing creates the breeding industry, but they are separate.

There's a lot of people making money out of young thoroughbreds before they ever see a trainers' yard in some cases. In a lot of cases, they sort of require volume to make a profit, and there is 100% an expectation of "wastage".

These people aren't trainers, and I do think most training yards have a high standard of welfare and try their best for horses who are retiring or haven't quite made the grade. Not every yard, obviously, but a lot. I do also think they are a bit wilfully blind to what happens to the TBs who never make it to them, though.

Ultimately, you just have to look at the numbers- 14,000 horses in training in GB. Over 4000 foals born a year (and 1000s more imported from Ireland). It doesn't take much to see this doesn't add up.

I don't know how many TBs per year are unwanted for racing under rules, amateur racing, and to go straight back into breeding, or were deliberately bred for another purpose (e.g. eventing) - but Weatherbys (for example) could easily work this out. And if there aren't (say) 1000 "pet" homes a year for these horses who become unwanted around, say, age 4, then steps need to be taken to reduce the number of foals born each year.

Zuzan

Visit site
I guess "The dark side of racing" is a bit catchier than "The dark side of the thoroughbred breeding industry"- they two are linked but not quite the same, obviously.

Obviously racing creates the breeding industry, but they are separate.

There's a lot of people making money out of young thoroughbreds before they ever see a trainers' yard in some cases. In a lot of cases, they sort of require volume to make a profit, and there is 100% an expectation of "wastage".

These people aren't trainers, and I do think most training yards have a high standard of welfare and try their best for horses who are retiring or haven't quite made the grade. Not every yard, obviously, but a lot. I do also think they are a bit wilfully blind to what happens to the TBs who never make it to them, though.

Ultimately, you just have to look at the numbers- 14,000 horses in training in GB. Over 4000 foals born a year (and 1000s more imported from Ireland). It doesn't take much to see this doesn't add up.

I don't know how many TBs per year are unwanted for racing under rules, amateur racing, and to go straight back into breeding, or were deliberately bred for another purpose (e.g. eventing) - but Weatherbys (for example) could easily work this out. And if there aren't (say) 1000 "pet" homes a year for these horses who become unwanted around, say, age 4, then steps need to be taken to reduce the number of foals born each year.

And the same goes for the continental warmblood breeding programmes too .. the difference is they are less squeamish about horsemeat.

TheMule

Visit site
And the same goes for the continental warmblood breeding programmes too .. the difference is they are less squeamish about horsemeat.

Absolutely- it is common practice to overbreed and then cull your weakest stock.
We need to accept this reality because not every horse that is bred can stay in the same home being loved forever- a number of them will be unsuitable due to physical issues or temperament flaws. It is in those horse's best interests to meet a swift, humane end and that is where we really need GOOD abattoirs.

Anyone that still thinks the UK's only horse-meat abattoir should close should watch this channel-
This is the reality of what has happened in the US since groups like Animal Aid campaigned to ban horse slaughter

palo1

Visit site
That video is very upsetting @TheMule. Those people are clearly incredibly well meaning, compassionate and want the best for those horses but for goodness sake, can someone tell me why they can't get a vet to euthanize the worst of those animals where they are rather than loading them up, again, with a load of strange horses, again for a truck ride? The horses don't know they may be better off at this point and it is really adding to the toll that has already been taken on them. They may well receive excellent care when they get to that destination but to my mind at least 3 or 4 of those horses were not fit to travel and should have been euthanised, certainly not filmed and walked out for that. It made me feel ill and tearful, in spite of the good wishes and intentions of those rescuers. Maybe I am wrong. I would like to know how they see that situation. I wonder if they have homes sorted for these horses too. Unfortunately the anthropomorphism of one of the group left me completely cold too. Those poor, poor horses.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It may not have been the most robustly put together programme from the beeb, but it was much more than just 'clickbait'.

Racing is big, big money. The industry has always known all about what happens to most of their cast offs. The crocodile tears and faux horror being shown now is simply because a light has been yet again shown on the dark side, the one they do not want their punters/income stream to think about, the one they want people to think they are already dealing with their rehoming projects.

Because of the big money involved, there should be no need for the cast offs to be shipped off to abattoirs, the no-hope-for-rehoming cast offs should be PTS at home on the yard. Why aren't they currently? ££££s.

This is a different issue to excess moor ponies or gypsy cobs who do not have the huge financial machine behind them.

Yes, we do need more well run and local abattoirs. We need the equine passport/ID/identification/medication scheme to be much more robustly policed. But racing has the money and the clout to do far more than it currently does, and if it takes publicly shaming it into doing so, then good.

palo1

Visit site
It may not have been the most robustly put together programme from the beeb, but it was much more than just 'clickbait'.

Racing is big, big money. The industry has always known all about what happens to most of their cast offs. The crocodile tears and faux horror being shown now is simply because a light has been yet again shown on the dark side, the one they do not want their punters/income stream to think about, the one they want people to think they are already dealing with their rehoming projects.

Because of the big money involved, there should be no need for the cast offs to be shipped off to abattoirs, the no-hope-for-rehoming cast offs should be PTS at home on the yard. Why aren't they currently? ££££s.

This is a different issue to excess moor ponies or gypsy cobs who do not have the huge financial machine behind them.

Yes, we do need more well run and local abattoirs. We need the equine passport/ID/identification/medication scheme to be much more robustly policed. But racing has the money and the clout to do far more than it currently does, and if it takes publicly shaming it into doing so, then good.

Racing is the most popular sport involving animals so there are millions of ordinary people involved in that system and much personal and government money in that system; yet the will to change things isn't really there. There are a great many people that know and understand what goes on in reality. I agree about horses being PTS at home but I know that other people feel that if horses can't enter the market as it were, they will have even less value and thus less care at that level. I have long felt that a horsemeat trade that was decent would be better in that it would demand that horses were better kept and dealers would be far more accountable etc. We do have decent standards here for presenting agricultural animals at market and I think horses may be better served under that legislation. But that isn't palatable to everyone. In my view, the vast majority of people just don't want to think about anything to do with the abbatoirs, with the realities of the meat trade/meat eating nor any other unpleasant fact of animal keeping/life. For me, that is where the resistance to change lies. There are some really hardened, brutal people involved with domestic animals where money is involved but they are probably in a minority. The great majority of people just don't want to consider the realities, the economics, the values, the systems that exist around animals. Panorama hasn't challenged any of those things - just pointed at an 'elite' sport and pointed the finger at them and the abbatoir. They haven't exactly identified that it is 'our' (as in everyone involved at every level) problem...

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
just pointed at an 'elite' sport and pointed the finger at them and the abbatoir.

Pretty fair to do that though, isn't it Palo? Why would you point the finger at a sheep or beef farmer, they aren't wealthy people who deliberately overbreed and send their animals to an abattoir because they haven't hit the jackpot breeding "the one", or race them until they are no use any more then have them shot even if they are still healthy.

Polos Mum

Visit site
so if the horse gets given to a dealer and sent to slaughter, who gets to keep the retirement fund I wonder?

Absolutely this - if people are prepared to commit fraud by counterfeiting chips to get a few £hundred for meat money then they will definitely PTS horses immediately and pocket the 'retirement fund'
For that sort of scheme to work it would need to be independently administered and you would have yards and yards of lovely TB retirement homes - which don't exist so clearly the retirement fund is rarely used for its intended purpose.

Even when they are rehomed they are given away to people who reschool a bit then rehome or sold for a nominal fee

tristar

Visit site

i do think racing has to face up or be made to face up an take its responsibility for best welfare interests of the animals it produces, the program was about race horses it could have been about any section of horses, but its was made around the destruction of mainly young horses and brings to the attention of those unaware or aware that life is no bed of roses for the poor sods whose lives are thrown away like a used coffee cup and the totally inhumane treatment they may be subjected to.

one of the worst things must dealing with feral horses, ponies, another program in that no doubt, anyone who has bought and handled straight off the mountain etc , KNOWS in their heart it must be as bad as it can get, with wild animals they dart and immobilize them before dealing with whatever.

Michen

Visit site
I have a real issue with some of these "rehoming" places. Cheveral house springs to mind, getting them in for free and selling them within days for £500-£1000 to "forever homes". You can't guarantee the latter, have no real idea of the horse and it's supposedly suitability to be rehomed.

paddi22

Visit site
Yes there are so many dodgy places. Equine Rescue and rehoming was another one that re-homed horses with serious physical issues to novice riders a lot. There is definitely a need for an official organisation that is professional and transparent in its approach to receiving batches of horses and having trained professionals assess and decide what ones could work. A massive issue is that even if a horse seems quiet and suitable for rehoming, without a set of back xrays and an extremely thorough vet check, you are still passing on animals with kissing spine or SI issues. A lot of issues only pop up once you start asking an animal to work correctly.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Panorama hasn't challenged any of those things - just pointed at an 'elite' sport and pointed the finger at them and the abbatoir. They haven't exactly identified that it is 'our' (as in everyone involved at every level) problem...
We get it. You are Panorama/BBC bashing, which is fair enough.

Doesn't stop the fact that part of the problem, the one that was highlighted on the programme, is with the very well funded Racing industry, though.

There are wider issues, but Racing is one of them, and is the best funded to sort its own dirty washing out.

Michen

Visit site
Yes there are so many dodgy places. Equine Rescue and rehoming was another one that re-homed horses with serious physical issues to novice riders a lot. There is definitely a need for an official organisation that is professional and transparent in its approach to receiving batches of horses and having trained professionals assess and decide what ones could work. A massive issue is that even if a horse seems quiet and suitable for rehoming, without a set of back xrays and an extremely thorough vet check, you are still passing on animals with kissing spine or SI issues. A lot of issues only pop up once you start asking an animal to work correctly.

Yep and it should be a permanent loan with the horse returning/being euthanised if it cannot do the job.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yep and it should be a permanent loan with the horse returning/being euthanised if it cannot do the job.
as well as securing the horse's future that would also possibly make more people consider an ex racehorse. I won't have another because I'm now saddled with the responsibility and bills for a horse that is unable to do any job. it's too much of a risk to take another one. However I'd be happy to have a permanent loan with some sort of safety net, I already have 2 permanent loans from other sources.

Lammy

Visit site
The British Thoroughbred Retraining Centre is a charity I follow and have done for many years. They put a statement on Facebook that I thought I’d post here for those that haven’t seen it.

“ The Panorama documentary was heartbreaking to watch. It wasn't fake news - it was real horses being destroyed in the most unethical manner.
BTRC formerly the TRC was the first organisation in the United Kingdom that focused on the welfare of Thoroughbreds when they left racing. Thirty years on and BTRC are proud to support British racehorse aftercare by providing a safety net to care for the majority of vulnerable Thoroughbreds in the UK. BTRC wish to promote good practices and educate about Aftercare and work with the Racing Industry, Horse Welfare Board, Trainers, Owners, Breeders, RoR and other retraining centres so that horse welfare is always at the top of the agenda.
However BTRC is not a sanctuary and despite the concerted efforts of our dedicated team of retraining staff a minority of our horses need to be euthanased on welfare grounds - but it is how. The horse is pampered that morning and usually gets a run out in the field before having as many carrots or their favourite biscuits (digestives are very popular) as they can eat. They are given a light sedation before being taken by their trainer, groom and BTRC's Consultant Vet to the field (and any of the team that wish to say goodbye) where we whisper thank you for allowing us to be part of their life and for trying so hard and kiss them on the nose before they are given the final injection. There are tears, many tears and the walk back to the yard is a long and quiet one with an empty headcollar ... it is always before lunch so the team can have a some time to gather their thoughts and have a cup of tea. This is love, this is compassion, this is respect - all horses deserve to have a life well lived and that includes a peaceful and painfree death whenever possible. For many horses and other animals this may well mean an abattoir and many will argue that abattoir's are a vital animal welfare resource for injured and old animals - this may be true but the experience including death should NOT cause the animal further welfare issues and suffering. It is the responsibility of the Goverment and Food Standards Agency to monitor the operating standards at abattoir's to ensure that ALL animals, regardless of breed or type are treated humanely. #becauseweloveanimals ???? #becauseweloveTBs ❤?#britishracehorseaftercare???”

Certainly one of the more heartfelt but sensible statements. And leads to the question why does the racing industry think it’s ok to allow their vulnerable horses to be picked up by a charity and pts out of charity money? The BTRC do extensive vet checks when they intake horses, why can’t owners do these before the horses leave the trainers yard so they know whether the horse is going to be able to have a quality life or not?

Michen

Visit site
as well as securing the horse's future that would also possibly make more people consider an ex racehorse. I won't have another because I'm now saddled with the responsibility and bills for a horse that is unable to do any job. it's too much of a risk to take another one. However I'd be happy to have a permanent loan with some sort of safety net, I already have 2 permanent loans from other sources.

Well all it would do really is pass the euthanasia back to the charity, whether they removed the horse or paid for it to be done. I don't really envisage the kind of place where Tb's unable to do a job go back to a charity to have a long retirement in a field.

milliepops

Visit site
no mine is an unfortunate case, but if he'd been able to hack, for instance, but not do competitive dressage, it would have been better to have that option. if they were subject to some kind of physical assessment before going out then few people would end up with a horse unable to do anything. Mine was herded into the lorry from the field by a team of grooms, there was no option to "vet" him. something like Mrs J is suggesting could work for private individuals rehoming as well as making sure the stream going to charities had the best chance... and pts cost borne by the owners from the horse's "Retirement fund" ;) would be best IMO

paddi22

Visit site
yeah I'm in the same boat I'd had a few exracers for my own horses but I wouldn't touch another one if it meant being saddled with the same kind of bills and risk of early retirement like my others. It's not realistic to rehome them to someone who might have one horse on livery and potentially be landed with something that can't work. If there was a safety net as Milliepops mentioned, that would be a huge help. and also realistically a plan to PTS responsibly ones that can't function.

A funnel system to sort them for disciplines would also be helpful. It's quite easy to sit on them a few times and and assess quickly what their potential is for a suitable disciplines might be based on temperament, scope, bravery, work attitude, conformation.

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
Ireland Dispatch. A government select committee was already due to sit today to discuss doping in the horse racing industry; specifically Jim Bolger who is currently banned for four years for this offence. The committee will now also discuss the Panorama documentary because, and I imagine only because, the Irish government provides generous financial support to the industry. €77,000,000 of tax payer support in 2021 most of which is used as prize money which will clearly have a direct bearing on the sort of abuses we have been discussing here. Before I came to live here in 2019, so I don‘t know the detail, there was a similar expose about the woeful welfare standards in greyhound racing, also government sponsored. It caused quite a stink at the time but I don’t know if it changed anything in the longer term.
Do you know why the government subsidises racing? I've know they do but I don't know what return they get from it.

milliepops

Visit site
A funnel system to sort them for disciplines would also be helpful. It's quite easy to sit on them a few times and and assess quickly what their potential is for a suitable disciplines might be based on temperament, scope, bravery, work attitude, conformation.
yes, in that respect the trainer i got mine from was right and they had good insight about aptitudes, mine has lovely paces for dressage and a nice natural balance, as well as quite a trainable brain. they said he would like being a dressage horse, they sent others off to hunt or jump. It's such a shame that he won't stand up to it.